THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Cuts

drocksthaparty

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A punter cut by the 49ers is a guy you go after because you know he got beat out by one of, or the best in the league.

For sure

A punter cut by the 49ers is a guy you go after because you know he got beat out by one of, or the best in the league.

Yep, and he was coached by the best and he was booming them at 50 yards a pop ... good find.

I wonder if our kicker is on our roster?

Zombo

Jackson

Maysonet

Cook

I know .. not awe-inspiring.

Z

Our stable of backs went from great to..."So-So"

So far I'm only liking Joe McKnight as a possible addition of those that have been cut. Averages 4.5 YPA rushing over 3 seasons and has over 1,000 yds and 1 TD returning kickoffs over the past 2 seasons with the Jets. I'm sure there may be better, but he seems like a possibility as he at least brings some experience to the table.

Here are a couple guys who are sitting deep in RB deep depth charts that might become available:

1. Lance Ball - Denver - 5'9" 224lbs. 28 yrs old. 4.2 YPC in his 4 year career. In 2011, he ran 96 times for 402 yds and 2 TDs while catching 16 balls for 146 yds and 1 TD. He is short, but tough and can catch the ball. He's not great, but seems to be an upgrade over the 2 UDFAs we have now.

2. Ryan Torain - NYG - 6' 220lbs. 27 yrs old. 4.2 YPC in his 3 years in the NFL. In 2010, he ran 164 times for 742 yds and 4 TDs while catching 18 balls for 125 yds and 2 TDs. Very limited as a runner and receiver, but could provide another "between the tackles" threat.

3. Larod Stephens-Howling - Pit - 5'7". 185lbs. 26 yrs old. Here's the guy I would want, but with all the injuries in the Steelers backfield, I don't think they can afford to let go of this guy. They have Bell, Redman, Dwyer, and just signed Felix Jones; however, I think the Jones pickup was just to finish the preseason. More wishful thinking than anything.

Not seeing much else barring a surprise cut or two of course... sigh

no worries, they are good w Tr3nt and Obby...both on the field together and spelling one another. both are capable of being 3 down backs...both have good size, both can block, both can catch, and both can run the ball productively. Obby at fb is not as telegraphed as having a pure FB either...his versatility leaves lots of room for wrinkles as well

several times against the Colts i saw them both swing out from opposite sides of the backfield as secondary check down outlets...reminiscent of MartyBall when Mack/Byner were quality safety valves for Bernie. hope we see that formation return this year, i've always liked it in Cle, it had good success for years and years.

no worries, they are good w Tr3nt and Obby...both on the field together and spelling one another. both are capable of being 3 down backs...both have good size, both can block, both can catch, and both can run the ball productively. Obby at fb is not as telegraphed as having a pure FB either...his versatility leaves lots of room for wrinkles as well

several times against the Colts i saw them both swing out from opposite sides of the backfield as secondary check down outlets...reminiscent of MartyBall when Mack/Byner were quality safety valves for Bernie. hope we see that formation return this year, i've always liked it in Cle, it had good success for years and years.

A 16-game NFL season is long, with a lot of hits going on. I'm 100% confident in TRich and Ogby as starters, AND am about 90% confident in BJackson as a 3rd option, but just one injury to either of those three... even a short-term injury... and my confidence plummets...

Hardesty's final log as a Cleveland Brown:

537 yards, 3.5 y/a, 1TD

16 Rec. 8.6 0 0 TD

Big second round bust for Heckert who took a shot at a guy with an injury history and got ... an injured guy.

Zombo

Hecks stepped on his dick big time with this kid. Before he even put on a Browns uni I recall Heckert going into damage control mode regarding allegations of undisclosed injuries while at Tennessee. Hards showed some flashes over the years. Too bad things didn't work out for him.

Slot in Trich and Ogbo for the opening dance against the fish.

Part of me wants them to give Beanie Wells a call. Guy is a pretty tough running back when he can stay on the field... doubt he would take what they would want to pay him for a back up role, but might be able to get a solid season out of him if he had minimal carries. I feel like he is made of the same material that Hardesty is though.

Not to many backs make it through a full season with a full load anymore. When the Giants cut Bradshaw I kept watching for the Browns to make a play for him. That would have been a pretty nice backfield to have, but at the time there wasn't much need for him, and he gets dinged up from time to time too.

I think Jackson and Ogbo can handle the job, maybe Jackson can show us something. Like someone said though, walking a tight rope because if TRich goes down, it could get ugly...

I see that this FO is divesting itself of the marginal Heckert/Holmgren guys with Miller and Marecic out. Marecic, sure. I wasn't sure Miller was that bad....more hurt than bad.

But they certainly have whittled down that WR corps: Roberson/Norwood/Croom+Tannahill

Yes....those 2 I believe can both be versatile 3 down backs. With Brandon Jackson to spell them some...plus someone...anyone to back up. Keep checking the waiver wire.

The Lewis thing does hurt. Hardesty on IR again simply means, to me, that we have seen the end of him.

Hardesty on IR again simply means, to me, that we have seen the end of him.

You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

Zombo

--Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

Zombo

Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

Is a player still paid the same on IR?

Zombo

Does that mean Ryan Miller is now deemed healthy? If so, then it appears to me that they must have been determined to cut him anyway....as he never really saw any game action in the preseason to evaluate him, did they?

Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

Can I assume that a guy who is on IR must still: A. be paid, and B. have his salary count against the salary cap?

Do they have to wait till the end of the season to release him? What if he recovers from his...what I thought was supposed to be minor surgery? Can they dump him then?

I suspect he isn't making so much that they are not willing to go ahead and pay him just to not have any injury issue hassles. (but again, my question...how is he different from Miller)

Yes and Yes.

Hardesty collects a check until he's healthy, then he will, in all likelihood, be cut.

Zombo

Can I assume that a guy who is on IR must still: A. be paid, and B. have his salary count against the salary cap?

Do they have to wait till the end of the season to release him? What if he recovers from his...what I thought was supposed to be minor surgery? Can they dump him then?

I suspect he isn't making so much that they are not willing to go ahead and pay him just to not have any injury issue hassles. (but again, my question...how is he different from Miller)

Miller is healthy that is why they cut him. If he feels he isn't healthy, he can complain to the union. Yes, you have to pay guys on IR, but you can also release them when they are healthy.

Zombo

A 16-game NFL season is long, with a lot of hits going on. I'm 100% confident in TRich and Ogby as starters, AND am about 90% confident in BJackson as a 3rd option, but just one injury to either of those three... even a short-term injury... and my confidence plummets...

i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

I read that ... I also that the new punter is going to hold for kicks and kickoff, which I thought was interesting ... looks like they will go with the Graham - Schmidt ticket.

Zombo

i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

How are we razor thin at Wr? Gordon, Little, Benjamin, Bess, Nelson, and Cooper. None are "hurt", with the exception of Nelson who is rehabbing from an old injury. Factor in Cameron, Davis and Barnidge who will, at some point, be flexed out and we're fine.

Archived