THE BROWNS BOARD

"Mangini tears down Browns History" - Paints over Hall of Fame mural

JoeSixPat

In related news, Pioli seems to be acting the tool already.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...fers_plent.html

That Belichick tree: Scott Pioli has instituted the "media are our enemy" attitude in Kansas City.

When a Kansas City Star reporter traveled to Pioli's hometown to research a feature story on the new Chiefs GM, Pioli called former teammates, classmates, neighbors and others and ordered them to not speak with the Star's reporter.

No big deal here..hopefully it will eventually be repainted with new browns hero's..

As for pioli going anti-media already..its a big mistake and not a great start kc fans arent going to like that to much...

Makes me even more happy with mangini/kokinis

I agree with Rich... No I am Not a Browns fan . But guys you have a Rich History. Just because the Best Chapters are 40 yrs. Old Doesn't mean its Not Important. If You ask me personally , to Identify the BEST Player ever... I too will say Jim Brown , a Totally Dominant Force. A Beast. A leader. Geez ...He is Still a Leader. Paul Brown also a Football Icon !! I understand marking a NEW Era. But why turn away for recognition of Excellence. Do you think Pittsburgh will EVER get rid of all that Stuff Down under the Stands ? NO ! Its awesome and Exciting. History is Important ! Legacy is inspiring. Bad move by Mangini.

I understand the reason.....if it is the reason.

I might have had it painted over as well.

IMO we seem to be stuck in the past. At some point we have to look forward, and as far as I am concerned it might as well be right now.

Tradition is great and deserves it's place, but I don't think it needs to be the mural of the organization.

Learn from the past, look forward to the future.

I find Mangini's stunt arrogant idiocy............the history the glory can never be forgotten

PUT A FREAKING WINNER UP TO AND NEW LEGACY FOR PEOPLE TO REMEMBER........

this strategy is that of a loser

oops that is what his record as a head coach is

ME I DEMAND RESULTS AND WHEN MANGINI PROVIDES ANY RESULTS THEN I MAY LISTEN until then he is just a cheap suit pissing on everything that was the storied franchise

funk him if he cannot be smarter than this

The mural sure did wonders for the team the last decade.

The mural sure did wonders for the team the last decade.

Really.

Honor the past in the stadium, in the lockerroom.

In the main office, the look should be towards the future.

I think this is the message Mangini is sending.

I'm not too keen on changing the uniforms, because I've always really liked the uniforms--I can't think of anything I'd like to see on the helmets, I detest the orange pants, and we all remember the brown pants atrocity in the preseason. So what changes could be made?

I'm on record saying that I liked the orange jerseys when they wore them, but only as a "once a year" type thing. I dunno...I would like to see the white facemasks come back, but I don't think that would be considered something that the kids like.

Dennis

Dennis - I'm not going to use this as another opportunity for me to soapbox WHY I think a uniform change is needed, but I will say that you can change things and give them a look that is more geared toward 2009 without doing much. For one, there are waaaay too many stripes on the uni's. The reason is originally, when the Browns were founded, the jersey sleeves were long. It would look silly to have one stripe on a long-sleeve. Thus the reason there are close to 100 stripes (or so it seems) on the Browns sleeves. If you want stripes, put them on like the colts (Syracuse or Va Tech has this pattern). It's an old-school look that looks good. We have an old-school look that obviously doesn't. That's why we're consistently rated as having one of the worst uniforms in sports when they take polls.

When everyone hears uniform change, they cringe and think of the Bills or Bengals. But no much change needs to happen to make them look good. Look at a team steeped in tradition like USC. They've changed uniforms several times, but does it ever effect their legacy? Hell no. If anything, they're newer uniforms look more old-school cool than the crap they wore in the 90's.

Change can be good, if it's good change.

All right, I'll stop before I get lambasted.........

Dennis - I'm not going to use this as another opportunity for me to soapbox WHY I think a uniform change is needed, but I will say that you can change things and give them a look that is more geared toward 2009 without doing much. For one, there are waaaay too many stripes on the uni's. The reason is originally, when the Browns were founded, the jersey sleeves were long. It would look silly to have one stripe on a long-sleeve. Thus the reason there are close to 100 stripes (or so it seems) on the Browns sleeves. If you want stripes, put them on like the colts (Syracuse or Va Tech has this pattern). It's an old-school look that looks good. We have an old-school look that obviously doesn't. That's why we're consistently rated as having one of the worst uniforms in sports when they take polls.

When everyone hears uniform change, they cringe and think of the Bills or Bengals. But no much change needs to happen to make them look good. Look at a team steeped in tradition like USC. They've changed uniforms several times, but does it ever effect their legacy? Hell no. If anything, they're newer uniforms look more old-school cool than the crap they wore in the 90's.

Change can be good, if it's good change.

All right, I'll stop before I get lambasted.........

No the look your proposing is absolutely proposterouse...that would look ugly...get better players and the uni's dont matter so much...Decals on the Browns helmets just dont look good...The only change Id make is the face masks...make them white again....Other than that...leave the uni's be....

No the look your proposing is absolutely proposterouse...that would look ugly...get better players and the uni's dont matter so much...Decals on the Browns helmets just dont look good...The only change Id make is the face masks...make them white again....Other than that...leave the uni's be....

First off, I didn't propose anything. I simply suggested some ideas. If you look at playgroundlegend's signature, you'll see Rashad Jennings and see how simple is better and still up to date. As far as syracuse & va tech, these were the uni's I was referring to, not the hideous ones.

post-549-1232994594_thumb.jpg

post-549-1232994609_thumb.jpg

post-549-1232994618_thumb.jpg

I'm sure this is old news around here and has been discussed ad nauseum - but I'm interested in knowing how the news that Mangini's painted over the team's Hall of Fame mural - going out of his way to "erase" the ghosts of Browns greatness past like Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Paul Brown etc...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football...rowns_hist.html

I suppose the message to today's players is don't rest on decades old laurels of guys who failed to win a Super Bowl.

So is this a "Mangenius" moment or "Mangidiot" from the perspective of the fans? Is it time for the fans and players to put the past out of their minds, and no longer try to live up (or down) to the accomplishments of the past? Adopt an expansion team attitude perhaps? A clean slate?

It's different - I'll give him that - and could backfire the same way the whole "Keep Chopping" idea backfired on Jack Del Rio (i.e. good in theory - stupid in practice). Though he's of course taking knocks for an inconsistent message given his remarks at his initial press conference talking about the storied past of the franchise etc...

I think it is a bad move..Remind the current players at what "standard" they are being compared ..Those Players and coaches were the best of their time .What's wrong with the players of today knowing the excellent past history of the Team they play for?? In Pittsburgh ,their are 5 Super Bowl trophys .The coaches and players see those every day . It is a reminder of their past ,but also a statement of expectation ....

Maybe Mangini is saying this is not the old Browns ?? I do not know ,but I do not agree

First off, I didn't propose anything. I simply suggested some ideas. If you look at playgroundlegend's signature, you'll see Rashad Jennings and see how simple is better and still up to date. As far as syracuse & va tech, these were the uni's I was referring to, not the hideous ones.

those stripes look absolutely stupid...no thanx...let me tell you something...less is more...someday you'll grasp that concept...those uni's look hideouse...

Guest Masters
I think it is a bad move..Remind the current players at what "standard" they are being compared ..Those Players and coaches were the best of their time .What's wrong with the players of today knowing the excellent past history of the Team they play for?? In Pittsburgh ,their are 5 Super Bowl trophys .The coaches and players see those every day . It is a reminder of their past ,but also a statement of expectation ....

Maybe Mangini is saying this is not the old Browns ?? I do not know ,but I do not agree

Come on now. You don't need a painting to remind players on the Browns now of the players of the past. You bring up SB trophy's, and that is not the same. Mangini didn't remove all of CLE's championship trophys. Just a painting on the wall.

I don't really care that Mangini painted over the mural! What does it really matter? It doesn't change or erase the history of Cleveland Browns football! It is just his way of saying that this team needs to play for NOW and not for the past! How many times do we all complain about "What have the Browns done for me lately?"? That is the same principle that Mangini is using with the wall! I will support whatever Mangini has to do to make this team competitive again! I am tired of watching the Steelers and the Ravens, and every other decent team in the NFL, run all over the Browns! I want to see a team that legitimately has a chance to win every game! Not one that has to play the "perfect game" in order to have a shot at winning! And seeing that we don't have a single Super Bowl trophy, whatever the Browns have been doing has not worked! Let Mangini see what he can do with this team. Save the bitching and moaning for IF he doen't succeed! Give it a chance first!

As for the uniforms being changed, I see no harm in a small change. This team needs an identity. And something to breath some new life into it! A uniform update might help. It will generate a ton of revenue from sales of the new jerseys. I wouldn't be happy with any major overhauls, but a few minor changes wouldn't hurt!

No, no, no, no, and no on a uniform change!

I wouldn't mind a change back to our original brown as shown to the right of the banner at the top of the page v the dark brown we now wear as evidenced in the color to the left of the banner.

The seal brown of today isn't the seal brown I remember as a kid.

Guest Masters
I wouldn't mind a change back to our original brown as shown to the right of the banner at the top of the page v the dark brown we now wear as evidenced in the color to the left of the banner.

The seal brown of today isn't the seal brown I remember as a kid.

Going back to a previous is fine with me. I just don't want to see some new flashier thing.

In my opinion we have to face facts here . Our history comes in two parts . I think it is unfair to challenge someone for seeing our history for what it is .

In our hay day we were a superb team . An organization hitting on all cylinders and making other teams pay for the experience of playing us both at the stadium and at their own . I am speaking of the old stadium of coarse and the original team .

The team we have now is not that team , is not that caliber of a team , is not going to be flaunted as something to behold . We are in an era that the old team never went through . We are in limbo . We have been in limbo since the thief took the team to Baltimore . We will never regain that respect again because it does not exist now .

We must develop a team that not only wins lots of games , but does it routinely every year . It will take a long time and it will take great players ,great coaching , and it will take patience .

Murals , paintings, colors, and all the other fluff will never supplant the need for hard work ,dedication , leadership and focus form everyone in the organization . We will have to construct a new history , and a new set of standards in excellence because the old one has been gone for decades .

GO BROWNS

Archived