THE BROWNS BOARD

"Mangini tears down Browns History" - Paints over Hall of Fame mural

JoeSixPat

I'm sure this is old news around here and has been discussed ad nauseum - but I'm interested in knowing how the news that Mangini's painted over the team's Hall of Fame mural - going out of his way to "erase" the ghosts of Browns greatness past like Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Paul Brown etc...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football...rowns_hist.html

I suppose the message to today's players is don't rest on decades old laurels of guys who failed to win a Super Bowl.

So is this a "Mangenius" moment or "Mangidiot" from the perspective of the fans? Is it time for the fans and players to put the past out of their minds, and no longer try to live up (or down) to the accomplishments of the past? Adopt an expansion team attitude perhaps? A clean slate?

It's different - I'll give him that - and could backfire the same way the whole "Keep Chopping" idea backfired on Jack Del Rio (i.e. good in theory - stupid in practice). Though he's of course taking knocks for an inconsistent message given his remarks at his initial press conference talking about the storied past of the franchise etc...

meh....it's paint.

We all KNOW who the greats are. We don't need a mural to remind us of our heritage.

If it were a "public" mural Id be a bit disturbed...But as the Highwaygal said...its just paint and We all know It wont last forever...So Im not overly too alarmed over it...And no I dont think we should let Our History go...That sentiment alone is what brought us all together to fight and keep our name and colors and that in itself is not only a tribute to Our Team but to Our Fandom as well....

I'm sure this is old news around here and has been discussed ad nauseum - but I'm interested in knowing how the news that Mangini's painted over the team's Hall of Fame mural - going out of his way to "erase" the ghosts of Browns greatness past like Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Paul Brown etc...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football...rowns_hist.html

I suppose the message to today's players is don't rest on decades old laurels of guys who failed to win a Super Bowl.

So is this a "Mangenius" moment or "Mangidiot" from the perspective of the fans? Is it time for the fans and players to put the past out of their minds, and no longer try to live up (or down) to the accomplishments of the past? Adopt an expansion team attitude perhaps? A clean slate?

It's different - I'll give him that - and could backfire the same way the whole "Keep Chopping" idea backfired on Jack Del Rio (i.e. good in theory - stupid in practice). Though he's of course taking knocks for an inconsistent message given his remarks at his initial press conference talking about the storied past of the franchise etc...

Considering that the players you listed played in a mostly NON-SUPER BOWL era, and did indeed win championships, your "I suppose the message to today's players is don't rest on decades old laurels of guys who failed to win a Super Bowl." line is extremely ignorant. But what can one expect of a fan that supports his cheating coach and has no problem with said cheating.

I honestly don't care about the painting. Unless it was something that has been around since Brown himself and thus has some historical value, it's just a mural that no one but Browns staff sees anyway.

And I really don't mind the message of: Time to MAKE history, not just look at it.

It's one thing to respect where you came from; it's another to be a prisoner of your past.

We are all a little guilty of that latter because of the former. I'm good with focusing on writing a NEW chapter instead of reading the old ones.

Wow, this guy really has a vendetta against Mangini doesn't he?

He's like a weird little lumbergh in his own way.

I find this extremely weird, and cute in the same respect.

But to the topic at hand, I like painting over it, like somebody said it's not like this was a historical mural in the sense that it's been around a long time, and it's not public. He's sending a clear message to his team that it's time to get off their butts and stop resting on the accomplishments of those who came before them.

I'm cool with it.

(Can't wait to see the next derogatory Mangini thread this guy posts)

I am not sure what the agenda is here...........but I will assure you some things.................and past is relevant..............unless you are xxxxing moron..........

it is all about having an identity for your team and being dominant in the identity...............Brown was Offfense........Steelers defense for decades..........and recently Browns under Sewage ......worn fat useless people

Paul Brown was the greatest innovator in football ever and one of the greatest coaches in football forever.......his legacy lives vibrant today with all what teams do to create victory

Jim Brown was perhaps the greatest football player ever and was indeed a Brown and no doubt the greatest RB ever and performed huge in the glory years

Otto Graham was the greatest WINNER IN FOOTBALL history...........BAR NONE...............

so if someone wants to garbage that history well THEN THEY ARE GARBAGE

and that is what it is

Great for Eric! It's the first thing he's done that I love. He's starting off on the right foot and with a new beginning. I like it a lot.

I'll go as far as to not only support Mangini and what he did, but I'll speak sacrilege and say I'd support a uniform change.

I am normally a traditionlist but when it comes to changing the culture in Cleveland, I'm all for it. I'd go as far starting completely over. Even with new uniforms.

This is not the 1964 Browns. It's not even the 1992 Browns. New franchise.

No major changes. I have no idea what to do. Keep the same colors but add something to the helmet and a few other changes.

Ok, all the hate can start in 3...2...1....

I think he is trying to get the players attention, and if that is what it takes, bring on the paint.

just cause they paint over the mural is not saying anything bad about our history.

Great for Eric! It's the first thing he's done that I love. He's starting off on the right foot and with a new beginning. I like it a lot.

I'll go as far as to not only support Mangini and what he did, but I'll speak sacrilege and say I'd support a uniform change.

I am normally a traditionlist but when it comes to changing the culture in Cleveland, I'm all for it. I'd go as far starting completely over. Even with new uniforms.

This is not the 1964 Browns. It's not even the 1992 Browns. New franchise.

No major changes. I have no idea what to do. Keep the same colors but add something to the helmet and a few other changes.

Ok, all the hate can start in 3...2...1....

I hear where you are coming from with this, cow, but think about it this way:

Should Notre Dame change its uni's right now?

Should Penn State EVER change their uni's?

Of course not. The tradition stays and should be built upon, not thrown away.

What needs to change is the play of the players who wear the colors. When the play is ugly, the uni's seem ugly.

But when the play improves?

EVERYONE will be wearing Brown and Orange again. Because there's NOTHING like it in ALL of sports, and there's nothing cooler than a winning franchise in a unique jersey.

Wow, I wonder if Mangini knows he is the Jodie Foster to your Hinckley...

This is one of the oldest coaching techniques in the book ... you wipe the slate clean and make the current players build a new dynasty. Good move by Mangini ... we, the fans, have plenty of great reminders of the past ... the players need to get their asses in gear however.

I'm sure when Belichick came to New England he did the same thing, but instead of Jim Brown, Otto Graham and Paul Brown, it was .... ummm ... er ... Steve Grogan? ... Randy Vataha? ... Ron Erhardt??

Zombo

I hear where you are coming from with this, cow, but think about it this way:

Should Notre Dame change its uni's right now?

Should Penn State EVER change their uni's?

Of course not. The tradition stays and should be built upon, not thrown away.

What needs to change is the play of the players who wear the colors. When the play is ugly, the uni's seem ugly.

But when the play improves?

EVERYONE will be wearing Brown and Orange again. Because there's NOTHING like it in ALL of sports, and there's nothing cooler than a winning franchise in a unique jersey.

No those teams should not change their uniforms just as the Buckeyes never should as well. But for the most part those uniforms represent a traditon of winning that has really never waivered. Going through rough times maybe, but they've almost always been good (ND being the only possible exception) and even won championships relatively recently.

The Browns have a winning traditon, but let's face it, That Winning traditon is pushing the half century point. In 5 more years it'll be 50 years since the last championship! I hate to keep hanging on to the past when it's that far away!

Wow, I wonder if Mangini knows he is the Jodie Foster to your Hinckley...

This is one of the oldest coaching techniques in the book ... you wipe the slate clean and make the current players build a new dynasty. Good move by Mangini ... we, the fans, have have plenty of great reminders of the past ... the players need to get their asses in gear however.

I'm sure when Belichick came to New England he did the same thing, but instead of Jim Brown, Otto Graham and Paul Brown, it was .... ummm ... er ... Steve Grogan? ... Randy Vahata? ... Ron Erhardt??

Zombo

LOL!!!!

Russ Francis maybe?! Jim Plunkett?

I like it. Ever since this team came back in 1999, EVERYTHING has been about our "history." Almost every home game has some sort of tribute or memorial to players of the past or video montages of games of the past. It's way overdone. This organization needs to quit clinging to glory from the past and start making some glory from the present. It's almost like the organization uses the past as a way of excusing the sad excuse that is the present. They need to stop doing that.

I find Mangini's stunt arrogant idiocy............the history the glory can never be forgotten

PUT A FREAKING WINNER UP TO AND NEW LEGACY FOR PEOPLE TO REMEMBER........

this strategy is that of a loser

oops that is what his record as a head coach is

ME I DEMAND RESULTS AND WHEN MANGINI PROVIDES ANY RESULTS THEN I MAY LISTEN until then he is just a cheap suit pissing on everything that was the storied franchise

funk him if he cannot be smarter than this

ME I DEMAND RESULTS AND WHEN MANGINI PROVIDES ANY RESULTS THEN I MAY LISTEN until then he is just a cheap suit pissing on everything that was the storied franchise

Oh boy, still? You're still going with the caps lock and the scolding tone. I mean, that's kinda cool. It screams TAKE NOTE OF ME, I HAVE EXPERIENCED MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE in a weird, don't stare at him sort of way. But...you're no longer exactly in the "I demand" arena. You are, but not in the way you comprehend. You're now in the "I demand a spoon with my apple sauce" - followed by a heavy cough - arena. Like that. See?

The one thing you will always be is a treasure. Don't you dare forget that.

Beanpot

I'm not too keen on changing the uniforms, because I've always really liked the uniforms--I can't think of anything I'd like to see on the helmets, I detest the orange pants, and we all remember the brown pants atrocity in the preseason. So what changes could be made?

I'm on record saying that I liked the orange jerseys when they wore them, but only as a "once a year" type thing. I dunno...I would like to see the white facemasks come back, but I don't think that would be considered something that the kids like.

Dennis

Considering that the players you listed played in a mostly NON-SUPER BOWL era, and did indeed win championships, your "I suppose the message to today's players is don't rest on decades old laurels of guys who failed to win a Super Bowl." line is extremely ignorant. But what can one expect of a fan that supports his cheating coach and has no problem with said cheating.

Not my message. Your team's coach's message.

What message do you think he's trying to send to the players?

Zombo

Not my message. Your team's coach's message.

What message do you think he's trying to send to the players?

Zombo

Actually, YOU were the one that typed those idiotic words, not the coach. Its YOU that doesn't realize the players YOU listed didn't play in the Super Bowl era. Kind of hard to fail getting to a Super Bowl when there wasn't even one to fail getting to, eh? Go back to Pats-land and cry with Bellicheat about how there was no cheating, it was only the NFL and Mangini out to get you.

Oh boy, still? You're still going with the caps lock and the scolding tone. I mean, that's kinda cool. It screams TAKE NOTE OF ME, I HAVE EXPERIENCED MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE in a weird, don't stare at him sort of way. But...you're no longer exactly in the "I demand" arena. You are, but not in the way you comprehend. You're now in the "I demand a spoon with my apple sauce" - followed by a heavy cough - arena. Like that. See?

The one thing you will always be is a treasure. Don't you dare forget that.

Beanpot

This is a great post!!!

Classic stuff Bean. I'm still laughing.

Actually, YOU were the one that typed those idiotic words, not the coach. Its YOU that doesn't realize the players YOU listed didn't play in the Super Bowl era. Kind of hard to fail getting to a Super Bowl when there wasn't even one to fail getting to, eh? Go back to Pats-land and cry with Bellicheat about how there was no cheating, it was only the NFL and Mangini out to get you.

Did I touch a nerve?

Zombo

Can Mangini paint over the record books for the last ten years so it looks like they never happened ?

That would be nice. These last 10 years have been like a bad LSD trip that just won't stop.

Or better yet, can we get him to paint out all the Steeler Roid/ HGH stuff so we don't have to read another damn topic about it?

Joeanne Sixer may be that dude I saw last year getting a tattoo of a Patriot on his head. Of course, this was before they got beat in the Super Bowl and lost Brady. He may be a Stiller fan now that the Pats didn't make the playoffs.

Must suck to have that drunken tattoo of a team he doesn't even like anymore.

Archived