THE BROWNS BOARD

Man Of Steel

Kansas wasn't generally accepted until the late 80s.

WSS

Really? I didn't know that. I thought Smallville was always considered to be in Kansas. I will defer to your knowledge, obviously.

If it wasn't known to be in Kansas from the 30s to the 80s where was it? Or was it just a generic Midwest US small town?

If so, it could have been Ohio.

Here is Wikipedia discussion of the location of Smallville. And yes, Kansas wasn't a definitive Smallville location until 50 years on into the comic series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville_(comics)

the ultimate question...ginger or mary ann?

one was like the good girl next door who would be cautious and afraid (tosome people is appealing...hmmm)

OR you could go with the actress who slept her way up to a starring role (so she knwos what she's doing).

HMMMM let me think.

the scared virgin obviously.

Sorry, but that farm girl Mary Ann did nothing for me, maybe because I came from a little town full of Mary Ann's. We didn't have anything like Ginger.

Zombo

--Ah hell, we would all nail both and we know it.

Mary%2BAnn%252C%2BGilligan%2B%2B%2526%2B

the ultimate question...ginger or mary ann?

one was like the good girl next door who would be cautious and afraid (tosome people is appealing...hmmm)

OR you could go with the actress who slept her way up to a starring role (so she knwos what she's doing).

HMMMM let me think.

the scared virgin obviously.

Mary Ann in a Bukakke scene with the Gilligan, the Skipper and the Professor. Hell, add in Thurston Howl.

Also Smallville isn't that far from Metropolis. So what word Metropolis be? Kansas city? I don't think so.

WSS

Wichita?

How close to the Gale farm would the Kent Farm have been?

And since the creators were from Cleveland, and if Cleveland was the basis for Metropolis, then where would Smallville be?

Maybe Norton?

Or, how about this candidate: small rural town, similar name: Smithville?

Was Norton around in the 19 thirties or was it only called Loyal Oak?

I do think that Seagal & Schuster may have patterned some of the skyline buildings on the Cleveland skyline but it's hard to tell since many call buildings of that era look similar.

Of course as the legend has changed and evolved over the years it's hard to be an absolute purist.

;)

WSS

Was Norton around in the 19 thirties or was it only called Loyal Oak?

Around since 1818

I do think that Seagal & Schuster may have patterned some of the skyline buildings on the Cleveland skyline but it's hard to tell since many call buildings of that era look similar.

Of course as the legend has changed and evolved over the years it's hard to be an absolute purist.

;)

WSS

Uh...yeah...he was always from smallville Kansas despite where the creators were based...

The creators to My knowledge based superman in a small rural farm town in Ohio ...atleast thats what I saw on a documentary about the creation of superman that detailed pretty much how Shuster and Siegel came up with him....I mean Metropolis is basically Cleveland. The Daily Planet was inspired by the Plain Dealer....Afterall..Shuster and Siegal were from Shaker Hts.

The creators to My knowledge based superman in a small rural farm town in Ohio ...atleast thats what I saw on a documentary about the creation of superman that detailed pretty much how Shuster and Siegel came up with him....I mean Metropolis is basically Cleveland. The Daily Planet was inspired by the Plain Dealer....Afterall..Shuster and Siegal were from Shaker Hts.

Actually they were from the Glenville area of Cleveland. Both of their homes are being preserved:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/29686

You know its funny, I'm probably more of a comic guy than anyone here. I'd go head to head with anyone on comic geek-dom and of course I knew where seigel and Shuster were from but I was honestly unaware of the smallville post crisis rerconning to Kansas. Touche, Steve you learned me something.

well until someone can take on the graphic novel 'kingdom come' i'll give no props to simple such movies as a one character 'dark knight' or 'superman'.

imagine the whole DC dictionary of characters going head to head with the fate of the world taken upon captain marvel saving the day by flying into space and sacrificing himself.....

then superman using a navy destroyer as a plow to dig the graves of all that died.

c'mon man. no one has the balls to take on such a project?

Archived