THE BROWNS BOARD

Man Of Steel

Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

I agree that it started out well, but then yes, it just became an "effects" film....to the point of boredom.

The original Christopher Reeves film, even with it somewhat campiness, was a better movie.

And the intermittent flashbacks to his "boyhood" with Jonathan Kent to me caused the movie to be somewhat sloppy. That technique, to me, washed out Costner's character.

I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

I apologize to you guys I have at least a half-dozen reviews I have to post when I get back from the island this coming weekend.

i'm from sandusky. tell me you were at kelly's island and i'll be you're #1 fan.

BUT as seeing you're posts and realizing that you are a man of high intellect let's hope you took a week off and hit the bahamas or jamaica 'mon.

the grass grows dark and dank off the tropics. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ha

Actually Put In Bay.

Playing there for my 25th year!

WSS

off topic.....

you have to have a separate westside steve performance pics gallery.

i'd love to see put-in-bay with you on stage.

i'm talkin 1975 making the first trip from sandusky to that spot (and others) just to have a great time.

i'm sure it's still that way.

ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

Problem Mik is- you up the blood & gore, you risk an "R" rating- which cuts down your audience somewhat. IIRC, spurting blood will do that to a film.

off topic.....

you have to have a separate westside steve performance pics gallery.

i'd love to see put-in-bay with you on stage.

i'm talkin 1975 making the first trip from sandusky to that spot (and others) just to have a great time.

i'm sure it's still that way.

well there is a lot of different stuff @ youtube.com front slash Westside Steve Simmons.

and I update my schedule on the regular Westside Steve website with sudden entries as to daily possible changes at Facebook Westside Steve Simmons.

I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

Yea, I guess we WILL disagree on that. Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

(and, if any man thinks that Amy Adams is hotter than Teri Hatcher, then I will say there is a man with twisted testicles. Not that I dislike Amy. I have liked her in many things...and she wasn't "bad" here. Just not my ideal for the role)

I think it's impossible to translate that medieval type of infatuated love into modern sensibility. Also I agree that Cate Blanchett to my way of thinking isn't really drop dead gorgeous but she is a force in the acting world. Margot Kidder?

also hard to translate is the infatuation young kid has with Superman comics into a big screen extravaganza through the eyes of a grown up. I'm not sure that annie adaptation has captured Superman for me. I just think they need to try to be more consistent with what I remember as the legend. And yes there hve been changes upon changes over the years so...

My idea of Lois is someone who's constantly trying to prove her hunch that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same.

Actually I thought Tom Welling was a fine Superman but sometimes it was a chore to watch that show.

WSS

I think it's impossible to translate that medieval type of infatuated love into modern sensibility. Also I agree that Cate Blanchett to my way of thinking isn't really drop dead gorgeous but she is a force in the acting world. Margot Kidder?

also hard to translate is the infatuation young kid has with Superman comics into a big screen extravaganza through the eyes of a grown up. I'm not sure that annie adaptation has captured Superman for me. I just think they need to try to be more consistent with what I remember as the legend. And yes there hve been changes upon changes over the years so...

My idea of Lois is someone who's constantly trying to prove her hunch that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same.

Actually I thought Tom Welling was a fine Superman but sometimes it was a chore to watch that show.

WSS

Yea, I thought he was very good in Smallville. And I loved Kristin Kreuk...whether of not she was "ideal". And the Lois Lane, while not ideal, was certainly 'hot'. Don't recall the actresses name.

Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

^+100.

cate blanchette has amazed me in every movie she's made. to say she isn't beautiful means you know squadoosh about beauty. her scenes in 'benjamin button' are unbelieveable. and yes i did get a chubby seeing her in LOR. but that actually detracts from her acting ability.

^+100.

cate blanchette has amazed me in every movie she's made. to say she isn't beautiful means you know squadoosh about beauty. her scenes in 'benjamin button' are unbelieveable. and yes i did get a chubby seeing her in LOR. but that actually detracts from her acting ability.

OK, I submit. Cate is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

It was meh for Me and the fact they based his family Kansas was a huge "no-no" for Me...Superman is and will always be an Ohioan to Me...The producers really dropped the ball I think and turned superman into some fucked up EMO dude.

It was meh for Me and the fact they based his family Kansas was a huge "no-no" for Me...Superman is and will always be an Ohioan to Me...The producers really dropped the ball I think and turned superman into some fucked up EMO dude.

Uh, I think the original story placed Clark Kent in Smallville, Kansas. The thing that was changed so often is that it was Cleveland, and not really NYC or others, that was the basis for Metropolis.

The old 50s TV show had Metropolis as basically being LA. The modern movies had NYC. Smallville seemed to put Metropolis kinda about where Kansas City would be, i.e not that far from Smallville, Kansas.

Sorry guys, but Cate is plain Jane to me. Don't see it. But opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I submitted to the Cate is gorgeous conclusion because I see her as a great actress, and whose looks, while not that of the typical Playboy Bunny, Beauty Queen beautiful, are the looks of a sophisticated poised woman..which I think she is and often plays.

^exactly.
uux3.jpg

i don't think of her as the ultimate beauty queen but as "man i'd love to F the shit out of this woman!!!" type babe. her class and sophistication overrides all of that and her talent as an actress can not be denied. (although i question her role in HANNAH and other recent ventures).

one of her best films is based on a true story and is worth watching when you have time: VERONICA GUERIN. which is an A+ in my book.

yeah there's something about a woman who is not 'perfect' looking. first they don't come off as being dumb. second who knows, you might get a shot at it? have you seen the hags that are runway models nowadays (except of course victoria's secrect.....but i betcha between them they couldn't pass a fifth grade math or science quiz)?

i know cate is australian but some of the prettiest but not perfect woman are coming out of eastern europe now. the russina, the czechs.

yummy. (sorry you commie hating right wingers, but it's true).

Zombo.

Sorry but in my own personal Valhalla Superman sits at the head of the table.

Everybody I would guess has childhood heroes. You?

WSS

Childhood heroes were Eddie Munster, Underdog and Leroy Kelly.

Zombo

I had a number of Childhood Heroes. By Childhood here I am going to limit it to anything that was say up to when I was like 14 years old:

Sports:

Jim Brown

Rocky Colavito

The Beatles

John Wayne

"Live characters:"

Zorro

Davey Crockett

The Lone Ranger

Superman

Sky King

Flash Gordon

The Rifleman (Chuck Conners)

Wyatt Earp (Hugh O'Brien)

Cartoon characters:

Peter Pan

Top Cat

Mighty Mouse

Green Arrow

Johnny Quest.

Uh...yeah...he was always from smallville Kansas despite where the creators were based...

Archived