THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli and Shannahan?

eqrulz101

While I think we have done a decent job getting on coaching staff, and want to believe that we now have winners in place. How the hell did we not make it work with Pioli when we were the front runners?

The chiefs get the highest prospect GM out there and now they are gonna get the best coach out there with him? Man, Lerner for all his talk about wanting to get it right sure seems like we got the raw end of this deal.

While I think we have done a decent job getting on coaching staff, and want to believe that we now have winners in place. How the hell did we not make it work with Pioli when we were the front runners?

The chiefs get the highest prospect GM out there and now they are gonna get the best coach out there with him? Man, Lerner for all his talk about wanting to get it right sure seems like we got the raw end of this deal.

Ouch. Leatherface is staying in the AFC West?

the hunt family has the reputation as being one of the best to work for in the NFL. they, like the rooneys, have earned that rep over decades of presiding over their teams, staffing them with good people and devoting resources to winning.

the browns have been around for ten years, so they don't really have a history, and the recent coaching debacle didn't help them, either.

the two teams are arguably comparable in talent, so it's a question of who the better owner is, and it's the hunt family. they're more established. randy may have potential, but he isn't there yet.

the hunt family has the reputation as being one of the best to work for in the NFL. they, like the rooneys, have earned that rep over decades of presiding over their teams, staffing them with good people and devoting resources to winning.

the browns have been around for ten years, so they don't really have a history, and the recent coaching debacle didn't help them, either.

the two teams are arguably comparable in talent, so it's a question of who the better owner is, and it's the hunt family. they're more established. randy may have potential, but he isn't there yet.

Thats pretty head on JD..lots of potential big names will have a problem with randy until he finally nails it down..which he may have actually done this time..;)

Also, Lerner has replaced the braintrust of the organization twice in four years; the Hunt family let Carl Peterson run the team for almost twenty years, during which time the Chiefs had, what, two playoff wins? Yeah, they're loyal, but they also seem to be hands-off to the point that the fans would have to burn the stadium down to fire someone...total control+can't get fired=epic win.

Dennis

@ dennis: rightly or not, the hunts gave peterson every chance to succeed, though, something that's rare in today's NFL.

as a possible employee, would you rather work for someone who will allow you to make the mistakes that will allow you to grow into your job or would you rather work for someone who's trigger happy?

@ shep: i hope you're right about lerner not liking pioli's plan and that he didn't just reject whatever offer lerner gave him. i hope lerner was the one with 'hand' in this situation.

Excellent points.

Way back when I stated how Belichick puts so much emphasis on ownership stability and quality that I thought Pioli would look at KC as a better overall situation.

Didn't surprise me at all that he spurned Lerner in favor of Hunt. We will probably never know the real story.

Who would have thought Ohio was such a big homo hangout? With Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland to choose from, it's a wonder anyone gets any work done around here. Cleveland's gay community tends to congregate in the vicinity of the city's active LGBT Community Center on Detroit Avenue. Gay friendly hotels and inns, gay and lesbian bars, clubs and great restaurants provide and satisfying night out on the town.

Get your gay on. Where's your crowd? Find the place in Cleveland.

http://cleveland.gaycities.com/

This coming from someone who has "I love Boy George" in his signature.

@ dennis: rightly or not, the hunts gave peterson every chance to succeed, though, something that's rare in today's NFL.

as a possible employee, would you rather work for someone who will allow you to make the mistakes that will allow you to grow into your job or would you rather work for someone who's trigger happy?

Certainly I would rather work for a patient boss--I'm not advocating that Dan Snyder is the model NFL owner or anything--but 20 years with two playoff wins (and I don't think I'm exaggerting that point; I think it might be two) is another matter altogether.

Dennis

First the Ford family jumps the gun on Matt Millen, then Carl Peterson gets run out of Kansas City...what's next, the "Lost another loan to Ditech" guy gets fired for incompetence and years of embezzlement?

and i'm not saying that the hunt family's been perfect, just that they have a track record of giving guys time to succeed or fail. peterson had some decent years in the late '80s and mid to early '90s, but he fell off. however he had some initial success. not every year under his tenure has been as bad as the recent chiefs have been.

however, peterson was horrible recently and the hunts definitely dragged their feet in firing him, and there's no excuse for that. it'll be interesting to see if they take the same approach with pioli or if they expect fast results from him.

Just maybe Lerner is sick and tired of all these power hungry GM's and decided that Pioli wanted to much power.

After dealing with Phil for 4 years and his putting up with his shit he probably has decided he wasn't going to leave this in the hands of 1 man.

I haven't read any of the replies, so if I echo some, you know why.

Pioli is the first guy we talked to.

Reports were his demands were set way too high.....maybe on purpose. Has it occurred to anyone maybe he didn't want to come to Cleveland? He has been in Cleveland early in his career....maybe he or his wife just don't like the place...that is possible...I think his attitude was "the only way I go there is if they pay me so much and give me so much control, I can't say no".

We have to quit assuming just because we have a job open that everybody in the world automatically wants it....for any number of reasons. Like it or not, Cleveland isn't everybodys dream destination

As for Shanahan....he wasn't even available when we selected Mangini.....but I may be wrong on that.

At any rate, I feel better with a young coach who really will make any mark here in Cleveland..Shanahan will always be a Raider or a Bronco.

Nope....I feel great with Mangini. I think we got a great up and comer. He has had a few years in NY where he was able to cut his teeth in the position...step in here and avoid some of the mistakes he may have made there...I think it is a perfect hire, both in man and career time line.

As to the GM...the way it is set up, the coach is going to have more of the say...at least as I see it and from the sound of it...as long as Mangini and Kokins or whoever ultimately gets the GM position can work together and work to build the team from the same set of blueprints, I don't think it matters much who is in the position.

All of the people being mentioned have time in the league and have built a reputation of being sound football people....it isn't that hard to identify football talent...we as fans can do that almost as good as any scout. The key is their ability to work together so it comes together.

We have ideas we need backers, and maybe we do, but these guys may think something else, and that isn't wrong. There are several ways to approach this, and as long as we do so with a plan and determination, we can bring it all together.

Archived