THE BROWNS BOARD

Everett Golson No Longer Enrolled At Notre Dame

Everett Golson out at Notre Dame

Starting quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame, the university confirmed in an email to ESPN.com on Saturday night.

"Everett is not enrolled at the university. Federal law and our own polices preclude us from discussing specifics," spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email.

The Chicago Tribune, citing two sources, reported that Golson is no longer enrolled at the university due to an academic violation.

Golson started 11 games for the Fighting Irish last season as a redshirt freshman, leading the team to the Discover BCS National Championship, where it lost to Alabama to finish a 12-1 season.

He completed 187-of-318 passes for 2,405 yards and 12 touchdowns with six interceptions. Golson also rushed for 298 yards and six scores.

WNDU-TV earlier reported that Golson no longer was enrolled at Notre Dame.

Golson's departure leaves a major question mark at a position where coach Brian Kelly was expecting to see big improvement in an offense that struggled for much of last season, with the Irish finishing 54th in the nation in total offense, including 71st in passing offense.

Former Fighting Irish QB Gunner Kiel transferred to Cincinnati last month.

Senior Tommy Rees is the most experienced quarterback enrolled, with 18 career starts. Fourth-year junior Andrew Hendrix and Malik Zaire, a spring enrollee, are also on the depth chart.

Zaire was the sixth-ranked QB prospect in the Class of 2013, according to the ESPN 300.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Starting quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame, the university confirmed in an email to ESPN.com on Saturday night.

"Everett is not enrolled at the university. Federal law and our own polices preclude us from discussing specifics," spokesman Dennis Brown said in an email.

The Chicago Tribune, citing two sources, reported that Golson is no longer enrolled at the university due to an academic violation.

Golson started 11 games for the Fighting Irish last season as a redshirt freshman, leading the team to the Discover BCS National Championship, where it lost to Alabama to finish a 12-1 season.

He completed 187-of-318 passes for 2,405 yards and 12 touchdowns with six interceptions. Golson also rushed for 298 yards and six scores.

Golson's departure leaves a major question mark at a position where coach Brian Kelly was expecting to see big improvement in an offense that struggled for much of last season, with the Irish finishing 54th in the nation in total offense, including 71st in passing offense.

Senior Tommy Rees is the most experienced quarterback enrolled, with 18 career starts. Fourth-year junior Andrew Hendrix and Malik Zaire, a spring enrollee, are also on the depth chart.

Zaire was the sixth-ranked QB prospect in the Class of 2013, according to the ESPN 300.

Newsflash- Legion of ND haters rejoice.

Wow. That's stunning news. I am sure Kelley's staff talked to these guys about taking responsibility, but it all has to come from within. Some can stay grounded and some can't. We certainly see a lot of this in college and professional football. We forget, too, these are very young men barely out of high school.

• 3 weeks later...

You are just a simple, scared, closeted little man, aren't you?

Nope just stating the facts rated 5th in the country.

Here is the review;

The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

Positives: This campus is known mostly for its colossal student body and football team (which means lots of "curious" athletes!), but what many don't realize is that it has perhaps one of the country's finest musical theater programs.

Negatives: Do you know how cold it gets in Michigan? Also, there's not much to do in town off-campus, but with a campus this large, it shouldn't matter.

Which Gays Should Go There: Show queens.

I wouldn't know about the gay scene in AA. I'm sorry I can't help you with your inquiry. I think our student body president was gay though.

I do know the school is easily better than any in Ohio though. Part of the reason I ended up there.

I wouldn't know about the gay scene in AA. I'm sorry I can't help you with your inquiry. I think our student body president was gay though.

I do know the school is easily better than any in Ohio though. Part of the reason I ended up there.

We have had this discussion before. Michigan isn't better than any in Ohio. It has a good academic reputation among very large universities, but there are a number of smaller, liberal arts colleges here that are considered superior. (and yes, my son just graduated from one of them).

And among universities it can depend on the particular program. e.g. I would certainly not rank Akron U or Kent State overall as better than Meshuguna....but Akron's engineering program is considered top notch....as is Kent State Fashion design program.

As for overall, Case Western is considered about on par with Mich...as is Miami, Oh.

To your first line, I'm not talking about the States. Hell I'd like to work in the Cleveland area.

Almost nothing you said their is true. Maybe among 50+ year olds that have lived in Ohio their whole life though.

Akron engineering doesn't sniff Michigan man...

In what world is Miami (OH) "on par"?

If I'm coming off as an ass I'm sorry, but I find thus ridiculous

• 3 weeks later...

To your first line, I'm not talking about the States. Hell I'd like to work in the Cleveland area.

Almost nothing you said their is true. Maybe among 50+ year olds that have lived in Ohio their whole life though.

Akron engineering doesn't sniff Michigan man...

In what world is Miami (OH) "on par"?

If I'm coming off as an ass I'm sorry, but I find thus ridiculous

Of course. And ignorant, arrogant man would...and did.

Oberlin, Kenyon, Denison, Wooster are all superior academic institutions to Mich....but of course much smaller....with fewer programs (no engineering/business schools there)

And I am absolutely right about Kent State and is Fashion Design school. Here are the top 20 Fashion schools in America:

1. PARSONS, THE NEW SCHOOL FOR DESIGN

2. FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY

3. PRATT

4. KENT STATE UNIVERSITY

5. ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY

6. SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN

7. RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN

8. DREXEL UNIVERSITY

9. OTIS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN

10. COLUMBUS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN

11. CALIFORNIA COLLEGE OF ARTS

12. UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI

13. FASHION INSTITUTE OF DESIGN AND MERCHANDISING

14. SCHOOL OF THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO

15. MASSACHUSETTS COLLEGE OF ART

16. OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY

17. UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI

18. COLUMBIA COLLEGE

19. BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

20. LIM COLLEGE

As for Mich and Case US News has those 2 ranked very close. Mich is 29, Case is 37.

Bottom line is: where would you send your kids. I am happy about the schools I have sent my kids to.

One of mine just graduated from Kenyon in molecular biology and now works for the Univ. of Minnesota. On the job 10 days now.

My daughter attends Trinity Univ. in Texas. Going to major in sports management and marketing. Maybe one day she will be a VP for the Browns.

I said "almost nothing" you said was true. I don't really care about Kent States fashion program. I'm sure there are a ton of schools with some random program ranked above Michigan.

The US News compiles their overall rankings in a way that hurts public schools, by what stats they use and their weighting. I can show you other ratings that has Michigan the 15th best school in the world. At least for specific program rankings its usually peer assessment.

Calling Miami OH on par overall or Akron's engendering on par is crazy honestly. Michigan's engineering "ranking" fluctuates somewhere in the top 10 every year. Its in that group right behind MIT, Stanford, etc.

Those tiny liberal art schools are not all "superior" to Michigan academically. Just browsing real quick I see top 10, for grad school, for us for Medical Healthcare, Medical Research, Education, Engineering, Law and #14 for Business (#3 undergrad). Not to mention how heavily Umich gets recruited by businesses across the country. I'm sure they're all really great at women's studies and philosophy and what not, but I'm not sure how you compare the two types of schools. Just glancing at their "Liberal Art School Rankings" its seems most of the ones you mentioned are outside the top 30 or 40.

I'll be honest though, I'm biased. I think a lot if liberal arts degrees are a waste of time and money.

I'm happy you're happy where you sent your kids. I hope I can do the same. But when I see posts saying things like "Miami OH is on par with Michigan" or "Akron engineering is just as good as Michigan" I have to respond to call out how ridiculous that is.

I said "almost nothing" you said was true. I don't really care about Kent States fashion program. I'm sure there are a ton of schools with some random program ranked above Michigan.

And Michigan has random programs here and there that are ranked high as well

The US News compiles their overall rankings in a way that hurts public schools,

Actually, I think the opposite is true.

by what stats they use and their weighting. I can show you other ratings that has Michigan the 15th best school in the world. At least for specific program rankings its usually peer assessment.

Calling Miami OH on par overall or Akron's engendering on par is crazy honestly. Michigan's engineering "ranking" fluctuates somewhere in the top 10 every year. Its in that group right behind MIT, Stanford, etc.

I guess if you want a useless engineering degree, that is fine.

Those tiny liberal art schools are not all "superior" to Michigan academically.

In the liberal arts, yes, they are.

Just browsing real quick I see top 10, for grad school, for us for Medical Healthcare, Medical Research, Education, Engineering, Law and #14 for Business (#3 undergrad). Not to mention how heavily Umich gets recruited by businesses across the country. I'm sure they're all really great at women's studies and philosophy and what not, but I'm not sure how you compare the two types of schools.

Right, you can only compare the areas involved that they each have, No liberal arts school is going to have graduate programs.

Just glancing at their "Liberal Art School Rankings" its seems most of the ones you mentioned are outside the top 30 or 40.

I'll be honest though, I'm biased. I think a lot if liberal arts degrees are a waste of time and money.

Like I said: ignorance an arrogance. Liberal Arts schools are not just "the humanities" or social sciences.. My son's degree is in Molecular Biology. My neighbor's son who also went to the same school had his degree in chemistry.

I'm happy you're happy where you sent your kids. I hope I can do the same. But when I see posts saying things like "Miami OH is on par with Michigan" or "Akron engineering is just as good as Michigan" I have to respond to call out how ridiculous that is.

Well, let's put it this way that there is no two ways around: there is one thing Ohio is much better in, and that would be football. And almost all the quality involved in Michigan football they got from Ohio. Literally only a few blocks from where I sit in my office now a guy named Bo Schembechler was born and raised. Not to mention Gary Moeller, from Lima. Oh and Brady Hoke: Dayton OH (Kettering actually). Heisman winners: Desmond Howard, Cleveland. Charles Woodson: Fremont OH.

(Oh, and who did Brady Hoke's dad play for: Woody Hayes...at Miami, OH.

And as for Miami Oh.....lets put it this way: Miami, Michigan, Kenyon are tied at one thing: they each have produced one POTUS each.

And you never know, if this country stays as warped as it sometime seems, Miami, Oh. may produce another: Paul Ryan.

(any doubt that he will run next time?)

Where to begin...

1) I never said ALL Liberal Arts degrees. I respect the STEM majors, for sure. There are liberal arts degrees that are pretty useless though.

2) In no way is an engineering degree in this "useless" degree category

3) You can think what you want about how they compile their rankings, but by putting such a high emphasis on categories like acceptance rate its hurts some large public schools. Michigan isn't sending out spam mail to every kid that took the PSAT asking them to apply so they can reject more and lower the rate. Within the last few years though they switched to the Common App, which should lower the acceptance rate some though. Schools that report superscored ACT and SAT scores also can artificially inflate their ratings.

4) Here are some liberal arts program rankings for Michigan.

Mathematics #8

Physics #11

Biology #20

Chemistry #16

Comp Sci #13

Earth Science #9

Statistics #12

Economics #12

English #13

History #7

Library and Information Studies #4

Nursing #6

Pharmacy #7

Political Science #4

Psychology #4

Public Affairs #12

Public Health #4

Social Work #1

Sociology #4

From the site that had Michigan with a World Ranking of #14 (Social Sciences & Management #17, Natural Sciences #29 Life Sciences & Medicine #34, Arts & Humanities #16)

The liberal arts schools you posted are good or great, but I don't see how they can be superior to Michigan. Not with everything that is offered and that is still highly ranked.

5) I guess OSU should have done a better job of keeping those players in state though. The other thing Ohio has Michigan beat at is prominent figures "resigning" in disgrace. Who will be next to follow Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel and President Gee?

6) A Republican can win as long as they back off on some of the conservative social issue stances the Tea Party desperately wants. Maybe he'll do some more photoshoots as well. Both him and Hilary can play to women, but in different ways...

Where to begin...

1) I never said ALL Liberal Arts degrees. I respect the STEM majors, for sure. There are liberal arts degrees that are pretty useless though.

2) In no way is an engineering degree in this "useless" degree category

I know, I was yanking your chain. It is so yankable.

3) You can think what you want about how they compile their rankings, but by putting such a high emphasis on categories like acceptance rate its hurts some large public schools. Michigan isn't sending out spam mail to every kid that took the PSAT asking them to apply so they can reject more and lower the rate. Within the last few years though they switched to the Common App, which should lower the acceptance rate some though. Schools that report superscored ACT and SAT scores also can artificially inflate their ratings.

4) Here are some liberal arts program rankings for Michigan.

Mathematics #8

Physics #11

Biology #20

Chemistry #16

Comp Sci #13

Earth Science #9

Statistics #12

Economics #12

English #13

History #7

Library and Information Studies #4

Nursing #6

Pharmacy #7

Political Science #4

Psychology #4

Public Affairs #12

Public Health #4

Social Work #1

Sociology #4

From the site that had Michigan with a World Ranking of #14 (Social Sciences & Management #17, Natural Sciences #29 Life Sciences & Medicine #34, Arts & Humanities #16)

The liberal arts schools you posted are good or great, but I don't see how they can be superior to Michigan. Not with everything that is offered and that is still highly ranked.

Well, it was the President of Kenyon who said that the surveys sent out by the US News/Forbes etc. that did the rankings were tantamount to a Howard Johnson's customer satisfaction survey. So, maybe all those rankings are bogus. Or, at least, plebian.

5) I guess OSU should have done a better job of keeping those players in state though.

There is TOO much talent here. They can't keep them all. I note that though Mich has almost 40% of its roster of say 85 players from Ohio, Ohio State might have at most 2-3 players from Michigan.

The other thing Ohio has Michigan beat at is prominent figures "resigning" in disgrace. Who will be next to follow Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel and President Gee?

Really? How about Moeller getting drunk and disorderly. And all of Ohio State's troubles have been mere human foibles. Hayes' temper, Gee attempt to be funny, Tressel merely trying to protect his kids.

Unlike Michigan which had the FBI, IRS, DOJ all investigating its troubles in the "Fab 5 era".

And more recently it seems that oh so many UM athletes have engaged in potential academic fraud, which got completely glossed over because of the Penn State/Jerry Sandusky matter.

So, the worst thing that happened at Ohio State is that a few players sold or traded trinkets that they owned for a few bucks. (and I still don't know what a person cannot sell their own property. If they couldn't sell them, why give them to them in the first place)...and the coach's failure to disclose it.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2008/3/16/13955/5089

6) A Republican can win as long as they back off on some of the conservative social issue stances the Tea Party desperately wants. Maybe he'll do some more photoshoots as well. Both him and Hilary can play to women, but in different ways...

Academic fraud? Are you fucking joking? That's why we turned away a 5 star CB for academics and why we suspended and kicked our once starting QB off of the team for poor academics....

This is coming from a guy who's team had a player say "I didn't come here to play school"...

Tressel "was just trying to protect his kids". Lol , bullshit. He wanted the best team he could to compete and follow OSUs "win at all costs" mentality. The scandal wasn't players breaking rules (whether or not you after with the rules), it was Tressel LYING to the NCAA so he could continue to play players he knew were ineligible. His entire coaching career was full of scandal and cheating. From YSU to Clarette to the thing that got him fired.

Look, I get that you're losing the school academics argument so you want to change the subject, but come on. This is ridiculous.

Academic fraud? Are you fucking joking? That's why we turned away a 5 star CB for academics and why we suspended and kicked our once starting QB off of the team for poor academics....

This is coming from a guy who's team had a player say "I didn't come here to play school"...

Tressel "was just trying to protect his kids". Lol , bullshit. He wanted the best team he could to compete and follow OSUs "win at all costs" mentality. The scandal wasn't players breaking rules (whether or not you after with the rules), it was Tressel LYING to the NCAA so he could continue to play players he knew were ineligible. His entire coaching career was full of scandal and cheating. From YSU to Clarette to the thing that got him fired.

Look, I get that you're losing the school academics argument so you want to change the subject, but come on. This is ridiculous.

I see that I hit a nerve. The truth hurts. Your Michigan programs involve loan sharking, connections to organized crime. Professors involved in cheating scandals. Maybe even point shaving.

Yea, sure Michigan NEVER did anything to try to keep their best team on the field.

If you want to be an ostrich, fine. We'll just call you JoPa Jr.

Archived