THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini hires new coaches

Adz1987

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

CLEVELAND -- As he awaits the hiring of the team's new general manager, Browns coach Eric Mangini added five assistant coaches, four of whom were on his New York Jets staff.

Mangini hired defensive line coach Bryan Cox, defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson, defensive quality-control coach Andy Dickerson, quarterbacks coach Carl Smith and assistant strength and conditioning coach Rick Lyle on Thursday.

Cox, Henderson, Dickerson and Lyle all spent the past three seasons on the Jets' staff.

"These men are outstanding teachers, and their energy and expertise will have an immediate impact on our team," said Mangini, who was hired earlier this month, just days after he was fired by the Jets.

Meanwhile, the Browns haven't yet announced the hiring of George Kokinis as their GM. Kokinis, the Baltimore Ravens' pro personnel director for the past six seasons, is expected to join Cleveland this week. He had a second interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner on Wednesday and spent two days meeting with Mangini earlier this week.

Cox was an intimidating linebacker for 12 seasons in the NFL before becoming a coach. He played in 165 career games with the Jets, Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears, New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints. In 2006, Cox joined Mangini on the Jets' coaching staff as the assistant defensive line coach.

Henderson played eight seasons as a defensive back with the Jets, Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Philadelphia Eagles. He played in Super Bowls with the Bills and Patriots. He joined the Jets in 2006 as director of player development and was promoted to assistant defensive backs coach in 2007 before assuming the role of defensive backs coach in 2008.

Dickerson was on the Patriots' operations staff before joining the Jets in 2006.

This will be Smith's second stint with the Browns. He was Cleveland's quarterbacks coach under Butch Davis from 2001 to 2003 before he went to USC and helped mentor Trojans QB Matt Leinart during his Heisman Trophy season. Smith spent the 2005 and 2006 seasons as the Jacksonville Jaguars' offensive coordinator.

Earlier this month, USC coach Pete Caroll announced that Smith would return to the Trojans as their quarterbacks coach, but he's going to Cleveland instead.

Lyle played for 10 seasons with the Browns, Ravens, Jets and Patriots before he got into coaching.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Guest ATENEARS
Man, I can't believe Bryan Cox is a respected coach, that guy was a nut job when he played.

I was thinking the same thing, but I like the fire added ... I hope he brings it and it rubs off on a few.

I loved Bryan Cox as a player. I remember an interview where he said that before games he would pretend his opponents had kidnapped his wife and kids and were raping them. He would listen to death metal, pretty crazy stuff, but in a way I admire it. he was absolutely committed to playing at the highest level and did whatever it took mentally to go to that "next level"

I am really really excited to have him on staff.

All these guys will bring energy and motivation...and dare i say it..the love of mentoring to work with them everyday unlike the last regime..mangini seems convinced they will have an immediate impact on our team and i cant help but to feel the same ive been screaming for these kind of coaches for a while and now we will really find out what our young players have...im guessing we arent in bad shape talent wise we have just severely lacked any real coaching/discipline/ruleset/structure...GO BROWNS!

I loved Bryan Cox as a player. I remember an interview where he said that before games he would pretend his opponents had kidnapped his wife and kids and were raping them. He would listen to death metal, pretty crazy stuff, but in a way I admire it. he was absolutely committed to playing at the highest level and did whatever it took mentally to go to that "next level"

I am really really excited to have him on staff.

It will be great to see some emotion on the sidelines!

after 4 years of jolly crennel anything that chirps will make more noise.

All these guys will bring energy and motivation...and dare i say it..the love of mentoring to work with them everyday unlike the last regime..mangini seems convinced they will have an immediate impact on our team and i cant help but to feel the same ive been screaming for these kind of coaches for a while and now we will really find out what our young players have...im guessing we arent in bad shape talent wise we have just severely lacked any real coaching/discipline/ruleset/structure...GO BROWNS!

I also think it's important to note that 4 out of 5 of these guys were on Mangini's Jet's staff. Many have speculated that Mangini was difficult to work with; this indicates otherwise, IMO.

Bryan Cox is a bad ass!

Kid grew up dirt poor in east St. Louis, gangs, drugs, all that shit all around him. Made it to Western Illinois where Don Shula found him and drafted him in the 5th round.

He was awesome with the Dolphins, 3 time All-Pro. Not just Pro Bowler ... All Pro. He used to mess people up. Took on the whole city of Buffalo. I hadn't seen that kind of intensity since Singletary was in his prime.

Then he was with the Bears for a couple years and was their best player during that era. Went to the Jets, where was part of that 98 Vinnie-Parcels 12-4 team that went to AFC Championship, flipped off Buffalo again for good measure, then went to New England and won a Super Bowl with Belichick in 2001.

Shula-Parcels-Belichick .... think he may have picked something up along the way?

He totally bought into the Parcels system, and he will have these defensive linemen doing their jobs right so our linebackers can make plays, you know it.

This is an exciting hire. I haven't seen real fire on our sideline in years, other than a few Todd Grantham fist pumps.

He will do what Mangini and Ryan may not ... get right in the faces of these young African-American players and let them know where he came from, and how precious their job is. I'm pumped up he is joining us. Finally some fire on defense!

Zombo

Archived