THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Trade Their 4Th, To Steelers Who Grab Safety...

calfoxwc

Even on TV, sports guys were saying "what the...???"... the Browns need a safety....and they trade it

to the STEELERS ...who drafted a safety with that pick..

Well, Canton Mike just mentioned this kid that the Browns signed... Div III school, but I like this new Browns

safety better.

I'm wondering why the Browns didn't just draft him with a 7th...

One difference, is size, and strength. The Steeler pick, Shamarko... could play a short cb .... maybe...

Check it out, the Browns are smarter about that traded pick than

some think:

Not only was McWethy a Division III first-team All-American as voted upon by the American Football Coaches Association as a senior, but he put up measurables on Wednesday that placed him on par with those safeties invited to the NFL Combine.
First of all, McWethy checked in at 6′ 1 1/4″ and 226 lbs., prototypical size for an NFL safety.
His 31 bench press reps of 225 lbs. would have placed first among safeties at the NFL Combine, three more than 5′ 9″ Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse.
He also put on an impressive performance in the three-cone drill. Depending upon who you believe, McWethy said he clocked in at 6.65 and 6.67 seconds in two attempts while Gil Brandt of NFL.com had him an even lower 6.63.
Going with the lower figure, McWethy also would have placed first among safeties at the Combine, .01 better than Florida’s Josh Evans.
Despite participating in drills with Division I University of Wisconsin players, McWethy didn’t look out of place.
“I feel like I can compete with them,” said McWethy. “I feel like I’m right here with everybody. I just have to have the confidence that I’m right there, I can compete with them. I felt all right. I didn’t feel like an underdog too bad.”
6-1, 228 lbsUW-Platteville
Scouts Grade
Position Rank
40-YD Dash4.59
McWethy impresses scouts at Pro Day
Sports in Brief - April 25, 2013
P
Colten Bartholomew, Sports Editor
March 14, 2013
University of Wisconsin-Platteville safety Ryan McWethy turned heads with his performance at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Pro Day March 6.
McWethy ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds, posted a 37.5-inch vertical jump and performed 31 lifts of 225 pounds in the bench press, the most of any athlete at UW-Madison’s Pro Day and the most of any safety at the NFL Combine.
“I felt pretty good about my numbers,” McWethy said. “I would’ve like to do better in the 40 and the pro agility, but I’m feeling as strong as I ever have and I knew I could get low-30s in the bench.”
Since leaving UW-Platteville in December, two semesters away from a degree in occupational safety management, McWethy has been training at NX Level, a sports performance institute in Waukesha, under lead trainer Brad Arnett.
McWethy was referred to NX Level by his agent Ron Slavin, who is part-owner of BTI Sports Advisors.
“It really made the most sense because it is in-state, and Brad does a good job getting guys ready for the combine drills,” Slavin said.
The change from student to professional athlete did not affect McWethy as it has many others.
“I enjoy training all day,” he said. “It was a little nerve-racking before the Pro Day, but I knew I was ready because of my training.”
McWethy’s path to becoming a NFL Draft hopeful began before his senior season as a Pioneer, when teams asked the UW-Platteville coaching staff for tape of McWethy’s performances. Scouts visited the campus throughout the Pioneers’ season to speak with and watch McWethy practice and play.
McWethy is attempting to become the first UW-Platteville player drafted into the NFL since Jim Bunch was selected in the twelfth round of the 1971 draft.
“I don’t really feel any pressure,” McWethy said. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I’m going to enjoy it.”
While scouts have not said anything concrete, McWethy knows there is interest in him as a possible late-round draft pick.
“Scouts don’t let on too much; they don’t like too give many hints, but the Cowboys’ scout has told me that they have the best situation for me as a safety,” he said.
His impressive Pro Day has more teams interested in him, according to Slavin.
“Coming out of Division-III, it is tough. Eighteen of 32 teams have shown serious interest in Ryan since his Pro Day,” Slavin said. “The way the NFL is going, with the top-tier players making so much money and a flat salary cap, teams are looking for younger players that they can pay less to keep them under the cap. This could work in Ryan’s favor.”
Moving forward, the time between now and the NFL Draft for McWethy becomes a waiting game. According to Slavin, teams have the opportunity to call and set up individual workouts with McWethy on the UW-Platteville campus or can fly McWethy to their NFL city for a physical examination.
The key day for McWethy will be April 27, the last day of the NFL Draft in which the fifth through seventh rounds take place, the most likely time where McWethy would be drafted if a team chooses to do so.
If he is not drafted, McWethy said he will try to be signed as an undrafted free agent.
“I’m just looking for a chance to get picked up and show a team what I can do,” he said.

I am anxious to see this kid. My 1st thought was at least a ST gunner. I've said it before & I'll say it again...These small school guys are hungry and they know they have no press clippings to live off. He'll give his all for sure, then we'll see if that's enough. I hope so as I love these blue collar players.

Mike

PIT wanted that guy coz he can play Rover which is what Troy plays, in that Troy will line-up at any position on the defense (even NT), not that this guy can be the next Polamalu, but the Steelers kinda got used to a guy at Safety who was a Safety in name only and actally played Rover (a Madden explanation.)

I keep hearing criticism of the Browns trading that 4th round this year....etc..

to a hated rival.

The point those pundits on TV sports shows folks are missing, is that there are 3o

teams or so on the list of possible trade partners.

The steelers would have made that trade with another team somewhere,

if not with the Browns, and would still have drafted that safety.

The Browns didn't have a player they wanted, so they get an extra 3rd rounder for next year.

Smart move.

I keep hearing criticism of the Browns trading that 4th round this year....etc..

to a hated rival.

The point those pundits on TV sports shows folks are missing, is that there are 31

teams or so on the list of possible trade partners.

The steelers would have made that trade with another team somewhere,

if not with the Browns, and would still have drafted that safety.

The Browns didn't have a player they wanted, so they get an extra 3rd rounder for next year.

Smart move.

SO I GUESS YOU JUST ASKED AND ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION. NICE JOB.

NO NEED FOR US NITWITS TO GET BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR DELUSIONAL FACTS.

Actually I'm with Cal on this one. We didn't see a player of value, and we just swapped a 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick. Nothing else thrown in. How is that not a good deal? Sure, it's next year, but in the grand scheme of things that doesn't make a difference really. If, every year, we trade our 4th and 5th for a 3rd and 4th, that's just good business, surely?!

I also really loved Banner's response to trading with a divisonal rival - basically saying that you only trade if you think you're winning the trade, so if you're winning, the partner is by definition losing, and so by trading within the division, you not only win a trade and strengthen your position, you also weaken your rival. I'm sure there are exceptions - like trading up to the top spot to take the next Payton Manning, but generally it seems like a good strategy.

It wasn't a guy we obviously liked.

It is crazy all the critics blasting the browns draft. Last year we started how many rookies? How many 2nd year players? We are one of the youngest teams in the league. We can't keep on adding so many rookies to our roster and have turn over. Now if there was a guy we liked, then you grab em.

I think it is so funny people praising the 49es and the Ravens for their draft. how many guys will make the team out of their draft picks? They praised the Eagles a few years back and have praised the Pats all the time for trading back and picking up extra picks. Wait a few years, then come back to this draft.

As for us, i am fine with it. We have salary cap room and added some guys.

I am anxious to see this kid. My 1st thought was at least a ST gunner. I've said it before & I'll say it again...These small school guys are hungry and they know they have no press clippings to live off. He'll give his all for sure, then we'll see if that's enough. I hope so as I love these blue collar players.

Mike

hope he does well....will be fun to watch him progress! And to potentially fill a need would certainly redefine a value pick!

Archived