THE BROWNS BOARD

My Theory Of The Browns' 2013 Draft... The Fo Agrees With Us

Tour2ma

Somebody is a Steeler jock sniffer with that grade. It was a good draft on paper....but not as good...on paper as the Bengals and Ravens drafts.

Shark Thomas would have been a very early day 2 pick if not for his size. He makes up for it in strength (28 reps) and vertical (40) but his size much like that of bob sanders scared teams off. Bell will start immediately and wheaton is already very polished. All of which doesnt mention drafting Jones . The steelers had the best draft. i love arthur brown tho and Margus hunt.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Rainey would have been a very early day 2 pick if not for his size. He makes up for it in strength (28 reps) and vertical (40) but his size much like that of bob sanders scared teams off. Sean Spence will start immediately and Mike Adams is already very polished. All of which doesnt mention drafting Alameda Ta'amu . The steelers had the best draft. i love Trent Richardson tho and Josh Gordon.

Shark Thomas would have been a very early day 2 pick if not for his size. He makes up for it in strength (28 reps) and vertical (40) but his size much like that of bob sanders scared teams off. Bell will start immediately and wheaton is already very polished. All of which doesnt mention drafting Jones . The steelers had the best draft. i love arthur brown tho and Margus hunt.

If you look just at the prospect rating of each teams draft choices, I think, overall, the Ravens and Bengals got better prospects than the Steelers.

Whether it all works out on the field in 3-5 years remains to be seen.

See my Plums and Prunes thread where I evaluate the drafts from 5 and 3 years ago.

Five years ago the Ravens got 2 major cogs in their SB win this past year: Flacco and Rice.

Chris Rainey would have been a very early day 2 pick if not for his size. He makes up for it in strength (28 reps) and vertical (40) but his size much like that of bob sanders scared teams off. Sean Spence will start immediately and Mike Adams is already very polished. All of which doesnt mention drafting Alameda Ta'amu . The steelers had the best draft. i love Trent Richardson tho and Josh Gordon.

Cute but this makes absolutely no sense other than to point out we wont know anything until they play.

If you look just at the prospect rating of each teams draft choices, I think, overall, the Ravens and Bengals got better prospects than the Steelers.

Whether it all works out on the field in 3-5 years remains to be seen.

See my Plums and Prunes thread where I evaluate the drafts from 5 and 3 years ago.

Five years ago the Ravens got 2 major cogs in their SB win this past year: Flacco and Rice.

I was elated to get Jones and Bell is a Steven Jackson clone, just ask Jackson. Wheaton was also a huge grab in the 3rd and reminds me of a more gritty mike wallace. bottom line we wont know much of anything until they hit the field. i love arthur brown. im not big eifert at all and think hes overrated but i guess we will see and didnt like the mingo pick for you guys at all in round one. i agree with some others, trade down and still draft jarvis jones.

I was elated to get Jones and Bell is a Steven Jackson clone, just ask Jackson. Wheaton was also a huge grab in the 3rd and reminds me of a more gritty mike wallace. bottom line we wont know much of anything until they hit the field. i love arthur brown. im not big eifert at all and think hes overrated but i guess we will see and didnt like the mingo pick for you guys at all in round one. i agree with some others, trade down and still draft jarvis jones.

We probably won't "know" anything for 3-5 years. See my next thread

We probably won't "know" anything for 3-5 years. See my next thread

i havent looked at your other thread but with rookies making more of an impact these days i disagree. However it also depends on the team and the areas of need. Typically and its a major point of contention with some pittsburgh fans is that rookies dont see the field much as rookies. I expect both Bell and Jones to see time with getting a substantial load. Receivers tend to get it three years in but some start fast. its all really relative...i expect guys to contribute this year. As Browns fans with your draft the last decade you should expect it too. If Mingo isnt at least spot pass rushing i would be pissed if i were a browns fan. See Bruce Irvin...mingo is crazy small tho. I hated the pick for you guys but loved it for the Steelers because we grabbed Jones.

i havent looked at your other thread but with rookies making more of an impact these days i disagree. However it also depends on the team and the areas of need. Typically and its a major point of contention with some pittsburgh fans is that rookies dont see the field much as rookies. I expect both Bell and Jones to see time with getting a substantial load. Receivers tend to get it three years in but some start fast. its all really relative...i expect guys to contribute this year. As Browns fans with your draft the last decade you should expect it too. If Mingo isnt at least spot pass rushing i would be pissed if i were a browns fan. See Bruce Irvin...mingo is crazy small tho. I hated the pick for you guys but loved it for the Steelers because we grabbed Jones.

6'4 is crazy small?...No...Atyhba Rubin is crazy small at like 6'0...

I think 3-5 yrs is fair to grade a draft. Its fun to grade right after the draft put the real proof is on the field. For example, you draft last yr was hailed as great. The reality is was it was probably one of the worst in the league. You draft from 2008 with Mendenhall and Sweed was again hailed as great. Doesn't look so great now. I think the Steelers get more credit than they deserve because they are the Steelers. You look at their recent drafts and they are mediocre at best which is why they are declining IMO. On paper the Steelers are to have a good draft. But there is a reason Jones dropped. I can speak to the back the Steelers drafted on how he will turn out, but in my opinion the Bengals got the best back in the draft. But I agree Bell and Jones should see significant time this year. A few years from now we can revisit this draft and see how it went.

6'4 is crazy small?...No...Atyhba Rubin is crazy small at like 6'0...

he only weighs in the 225 range and that is small for a 34 outside backer. im not sure how much more weight his frame willsupport without losing mobility.

I think 3-5 yrs is fair to grade a draft. Its fun to grade right after the draft put the real proof is on the field. For example, you draft last yr was hailed as great. The reality is was it was probably one of the worst in the league. You draft from 2008 with Mendenhall and Sweed was again hailed as great. Doesn't look so great now. I think the Steelers get more credit than they deserve because they are the Steelers. You look at their recent drafts and they are mediocre at best which is why they are declining IMO. On paper the Steelers are to have a good draft. But there is a reason Jones dropped. I can speak to the back the Steelers drafted on how he will turn out, but in my opinion the Bengals got the best back in the draft. But I agree Bell and Jones should see significant time this year. A few years from now we can revisit this draft and see how it went.

Ugh, on my kindle and didnt want to type this in the quote. The below belongs to Rorbotron.

2008 wasa train wreck in hindsight, on draft day it was great which goes to gippers point. However i fail to see how you can say their 2012 draft was one of the worst. Decastro missed time, adams played admirably and will be a starting tackle. Sean Spence had a horrific knee injury. Beachum is a top back up at all line positions. Alameda s a dumb ass but hes still on the roster for a reason. The jury is far from out on last year. Bottom line on draft day the steelers always get great value and its why they are highly regarded. it doesnt mean the picks always pan out, just like combine numbers only say so much. I felt the Browns had a bad draft this time out, especially picking 6.

he only weighs in the 225 range and that is small for a 34 outside backer. im not sure how much more weight his frame willsupport without losing mobility.

Weight doesnt have everything to do with it...it comes down to tackling,positioning,and speed...the rest is miscelleneous..However,,,I thought the pick was a waste IMO...I wouldve rather had Jarvis and most definately Milner.

Weight doesnt have everything to do with it...it comes down to tackling,positioning,and speed...the rest is miscelleneous..However,,,I thought the pick was a waste IMO...I wouldve rather had Jarvis and most definately Milner.

I saw Jones and Mingo both play many games in college. I do think Mingo is going to be the better pro player than Jarvis Jones, but that many not be saying a whole lot. Both guys need to bulk up. I'll tell you, though, of the three guys you mention Milliner will be the best pro. Browns should have drafted him.

He is going to need that extra strength for leverage. He wont just be able to run past every tackle in the league. i agree erwsie.

I saw Jones and Mingo both play many games in college. I do think Mingo is going to be the better pro player than Jarvis Jones, but that many not be saying a whole lot. Both guys need to bulk up. I'll tell you, though, of the three guys you mention Milliner will be the best pro. Browns should have drafted him.

Jones does also need bulk up and milner imo has a legit health concern. All of which is why i got laugh out of the jets taking him. Revis has health issues, they trade him an draft another. Jones instinct wise is at the top of his game. He should have gone before mingo. i disagree with you there.

In other words, you don't want to say that you agree with ME.

But when you break it down, you agree with what I said.

I get it.

Note, I didn't say that rookies could not have an impact their first or second year....I said that a draft to be graded properly takes 3-5 years.

I mean, a rookie can have impact at first then fizzle out.

Look at Kameron Wimbley. 11 sacks his first year. Then after that not even half that number, then he was traded.

I will say this about Mingo vs. Jones. I think Mingo has a higher risk/reward factor. He could be lights out or he could be a firefly and flame out I think overall that Jones will likely have the steadier if not more potentially spectacular career.

He is going to need that extra strength for leverage. He wont just be able to run past every tackle in the league. i agree erwsie.

Leverage also comes from being knocked kneed..Alot guys who are knock kneed are tough to block or bring down. but yeah..the weight helps..I forget the name of the madmen LB the steelers had in the 70's..Jack Lambert...He was tall,Lanky and skinny...He did rather well..

2008 wasa train wreck in hindsight, on draft day it was great which goes to gippers point. However i fail to see how you can say their 2012 draft was one of the worst. Decastro missed time, adams played admirably and will be a starting tackle. Sean Spence had a horrific knee injury. Beachum is a top back up at all line positions. Alameda s a dumb ass but hes still on the roster for a reason. The jury is far from out on last year. Bottom line on draft day the steelers always get great value and its why they are highly regarded. it doesnt mean the picks always pan out, just like combine numbers only say so much. I felt the Browns had a bad draft this time out, especially picking 6.

Lets take a look at that 2012 class. DeCastro got injured and returned and could be very good if he stays healthy. Mike Adams was crap last year. He couldn't crack the starting lineup and was routinely abused. Your 3rd round pick's career is probably over, he may have been a good player but we will probably never know. Your 4th round pick which I believe you traded up for Alameda(which you yourself call a dumb ass) has hardly touched the field. Your 5th round pick is not even on the team anymore(Rainey). Then you had a bunch of 7th round picks. First, Toney Clemons, no longer on the team. Then there was David Paulson(TE), he is still on the team but got the playing time you would expect from a 7th rounder. Then there was Frederick Terence, you guessed it, not on the team. Finally, there was Beachum, who turned out to be a real good pick, and in my opinion played better than Adams. So to recap, last yr you drafted 9 players. Three of them are no longer on the team. One of them may never play again. Another is a dumb ass. Thats 5 of 9. Of the other 4 you have an injured # 1 pick who missed most of last season. A #2 pick who got outplayed by the 248 overall pick from the 7th round and a TE who barely saw the field. Sounds like a shit draft to me.

Lets take a look at that 2012 class. DeCastro got injured and returned and could be very good if he stays healthy. Mike Adams was crap last year. He couldn't crack the starting lineup and was routinely abused. Your 3rd round pick's career is probably over, he may have been a good player but we will probably never know. Your 4th round pick which I believe you traded up for Alameda(which you yourself call a dumb ass) has hardly touched the field. Your 5th round pick is not even on the team anymore(Rainey). Then you had a bunch of 7th round picks. First, Toney Clemons, no longer on the team. Then there was David Paulson(TE), he is still on the team but got the playing time you would expect from a 7th rounder. Then there was Frederick Terence, you guessed it, not on the team. Finally, there was Beachum, who turned out to be a real good pick, and in my opinion played better than Adams. So to recap, last yr you drafted 9 players. Three of them are no longer on the team. One of them may never play again. Another is a dumb ass. Thats 5 of 9. Of the other 4 you have an injured # 1 pick who missed most of last season. A #2 pick who got outplayed by the 248 overall pick from the 7th round and a TE who barely saw the field. Sounds like a shit draft to me.

Compare the Browns draft: starting tailback, starting QB, starting RT, starting WR if you include Gordon, a contributing up top receiver in Benjamin who may also become KR/PR, two DLineman who contributed greatly to the DL rotation Hughes/Winn, a backup OL in Miller, a backup CB in Wade, for the coming year a possible starting ILB in JM Johnson, and a possible starting FB in Smelley.

We also used one player...Acho, as trade bait to pick up a backup RB, possible KR/PR in Dion Lewis.

Acho is the only guy not still with the team. Also picked up UDA T. Gipson who started a number of games at FS

Now....all of that still only produced a 5-11 record.....but apparently the talent acquired is quality enough to stick around.

There isn't a single one of these that you can say did not live up to his draft position....except the traded Acho, who spent the year on IR.

The future of this draft class looks good, so far....but we can really only tell in about 2 years.

Mike Adams was not bad last year. He had a rough outing or two but he was a rookie. He also had some absolutely electric plays displaying his prowess blocking for the run game. He's is currently slated to start at one of the tackles where he will battle with Gilbert to play on the left. The loser will immediately be plugged on the right. Beachum could very well end up at LG in place of Foster because of his athleticism and the switch to the zone blocking scheme under Bicknell. I called Alameda a dumb ass because he got a DUI otherwise he has the potential to be a monster. He has a mean streak and weighs over 300 pounds but is very lean. The Sean Spence injury is a damn shame because he was awesome in the preseason and showing he was ready to play inside. He may never play another down but that's why they took a flyer on Nick Williams at the end of this last draft. They just need to determine if he can play 3 downs. Paulsen will get a lot more playing time this season with Heath down. Check his combine numbers and his highlights from college. He just needs an opportunity. Hell he compares favorably to eifert who I've never been big on as a first round talent but should be a solid pro.. Rainey is gone obviously and the late round picks are exactly what they are flyers. I'm still quite pleased with last years draft, especially with DeCastro getting a hopefully full offseason and more strength. The way I see it 2 starters (DeCastro, Adams) and two strong back ups/potential starters in (Beachum and Alameda)

Mike Adams was not bad last year. He had a rough outing or two but he was a rookie. He also had some absolutely electric plays displaying his prowess blocking for the run game. He's is currently slated to start at one of the tackles where he will battle with Gilbert to play on the left. The loser will immediately be plugged on the right. Beachum could very well end up at LG in place of Foster because of his athleticism and the switch to the zone blocking scheme under Bicknell. I called Alameda a dumb ass because he got a DUI otherwise he has the potential to be a monster. He has a mean streak and weighs over 300 pounds but is very lean. The Sean Spence injury is a damn shame because he was awesome in the preseason and showing he was ready to play inside. He may never play another down but that's why they took a flyer on Nick Williams at the end of this last draft. They just need to determine if he can play 3 downs. Paulsen will get a lot more playing time this season with Heath down. Check his combine numbers and his highlights from college. He just needs an opportunity. Hell he compares favorably to eifert who I've never been big on as a first round talent but should be a solid pro.. Rainey is gone obviously and the late round picks are exactly what they are flyers. I'm still quite pleased with last years draft, especially with DeCastro getting a hopefully full offseason and more strength. The way I see it 2 starters (DeCastro, Adams) and two strong back ups/potential starters in (Beachum and Alameda)

So?

Soooo you know your Browns but you dont know shit about the Steelers. You prove that on a weekly basis.

No, you confuse ignorance with apathy.

I know them well enough....I just don't care about them such that I am interested in reading your analysis of them. And I think I speak for 98% of the people here on that score.

No, you confuse ignorance with apathy.

I know them well enough....I just don't care about them such that I am interested in reading your analysis of them. And I think I speak for 98% of the people here on that score.

You know what you see on sportscenter or read n your local rag, that`s it. Yet you attempt to come off as some sort football authority. Its ignorance and i only reply in that fashion (my analysis) because you have a propensity to spew nonsense.

You know what you see on sportscenter or read n your local rag, that`s it. Yet you attempt to come off as some sort football authority. Its ignorance and i only reply in that fashion (my analysis) because you have a propensity to spew nonsense.

I spew facts/truth. You just can't handle it. Like here. We were making some very cogent points back and forth until I essentially advised you that you were causing a snooze fest amongst the patrons here your boring Steeler rant. But, you couldn't handle the truth of that....so you get all pissy.....because you still can't tell the difference between apathy and interest.

Besides....when your fist sentence was "Adams was not bad last year", then you lose all credibility...because you are contradicting what just about every other Steeler fan said about him.

If you don't have credibility amongst your own kind, then why should we give you any?

I spew facts/truth. You just can't handle it. Like here. We were making some very cogent points back and forth until I essentially advised you that you were causing a snooze fest amongst the patrons here your boring Steeler rant. But, you couldn't handle the truth of that....so you get all pissy.....because you still can't tell the difference between apathy and interest.

Besides....when your fist sentence was "Adams was not bad last year", then you lose all credibility...because you are contradicting what just about every other Steeler fan said about him.

If you don't have credibility amongst your own kind, then why should we give you any?

He had a couple of rough games and then settled down. He played like a rookie but had some flashes were his game displayed some real run game prowess. he wasnt "bad" and im not pissy but youve been dishing the occasional backhanded dig, like calling the steelers mediocre. if they are mediocre what are the browns?

He had a couple of rough games and then settled down. He played like a rookie but had some flashes were his game displayed some real run game prowess. he wasnt "bad" and im not pissy but youve been dishing the occasional backhanded dig, like calling the steelers mediocre. if they are mediocre what are the browns?

The Steelers were 8-8.....if not mediocre then what? Highly rated defense in yards and points, but below average in turnover margin....and well below average on offense.

Bill Parcells said it best: you are what your record is. They were mediocre.

The Browns? They sucked again. But, at least we got rid of Pat Shurmur, so there may be some hope for the future. Maybe.

The Steelers were 8-8.....if not mediocre then what? Highly rated defense in yards and points, but below average in turnover margin....and well below average on offense.

Bill Parcells said it best: you are what your record is. They were mediocre.

The Browns? They sucked again. But, at least we got rid of Pat Shurmur, so there may be some hope for the future. Maybe.

your arguing with a steeler fan that swore the stools would never,ever be .500. ...and look at them now...LOL.

i don't know about you guys in london land but when we call a fag here we call it a fag.

same things with vags. vags can be long strolled out pussies or just a couple of grey lips looking for affection.

Yo Nickers please find where.i.said they would never be .500. They have had two strong seasons and a down season in that pattern since the early 2000's. Keep being an idiot. Dont forget your pom pom's.

Archived