THE BROWNS BOARD

You Have To Be Joking

gftChris

I hope not

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- On the eve of the NFL draft, the Browns' chances of staying at No. 6 and selecting a player were about 60 percent, a league source said. But a report surfaced that the Browns might trade up to No. 3 with the Raiders to take Brigham Young pass rusher Ziggy Ansah.

The report came from Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports, who tweeted, "Hearing some chatter from multiple NFL sources that the Raiders may be trying to trade down from 3 overall ... w/Browns as possible partner."

He added, "If Cleveland trades up to get the Raiders' pick at 3, I believe Browns are targeting Ansah."

If we pick Ansah at 6 I'll be quite annoyed. Bigger needs to fill - ok, the kid has upside, but we don't have pressing needs there. But if we trade up to get him, I will seriously flip. Do we honestly think someone else will pick him up in the top 5? Are there not enough good players that we can stay at 6 and still get a BPA type? Assuming two LTs go, and a DT, that leaves us with Dion Jordan, Ziggy Ansah and Jarvis Jones at OLB/DE, plus another one or two DTs to dangle as trade bait. Oh, and that Milliner chap everyone's quite keen on.

Ansah would be a great pick at 6, I think he's the best defensive player with the highest upside in the draft. I don't think we can afford to lose the draft picks to move up and get him though. And for the people who say he can't play LB, he ran a 4.6 40 and a twenty yard shuttle on par with the top DB's in the draft and he didn't even train for the combine. Think Terrell Suggs, but he's only scratching the surface.

I'm not convinced at 6, we need plug and play starters at the moment and there's definite potential for Ansah to not be that. Upside, sure, tons of it, but we can't afford to miss on these. Trading up would be madness.

Plus, with all our picks, we don't have enough trade value to move up to 3, so if it happens it will mean trading someone (Sheard?) as well.

Yeah could be smoke, I have no problem though trading up for Jordan or Ansah provided the cost is small. Those are the only 2 I would entertain trading up for. And while I think we improved our defense I don't think we have that James Harrison, Terrel Suggs type LB on this team yet even with Kruger. That would almost certainly mean we go DB in the 3rd if this took place.

I would actually welcome this over anything that links us to Geno Smith.

Archived