THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkevious Mingo

Zombo

anyone know how he got the nickname "KeKe"?

obviously it's a play on his name but im curious how it originated.

what else do we know about him? where was he born? any siblings? who's his favorite player? how many 225lb reps did he do at the combine?

*heads to wiki...*

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

born in Belle Glade, FL on Oct 4th 1990.

1990. wow that's surreal.

"Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to a name she liked, Kevious."

ahhh..Mama's Boy AND the baby.

37 inch vert, 4.58 40 time, 10' 8" broad, apparently didn't do bench press...

I'm not playing the "What If" game. I'm playing the "we maybe could have fucked up the draft" game because there's nothing else to talk about in relation to the on the field Browns at this point in time.

I'm not saying "at this very moment, Vaccaro would be doing [so and so] instead of Bark Mingo".

The conversation turned to the importance of pass rushing over pass coverage and I brought up that we could, conceivably, bolstered both positions in the first two rounds instead of just one.

Except that I think we did address the primary need of our defensive backfield by getting McFadden with the 3rd round pick. I think filling that #2 corner was more vital than filling the FS position.

It also sounds like you are saying that the Browns could have gotten a pass rusher as qualified as Mingo if the Browns had traded down and gotten a second round pick. I just don't think that is necessarily the case.

Going into this draft I thought the primary needs were the #2CB, pass rusher, FS, depth at OG, at WR and at MLB. To me, the Browns met these needs, somewhat. They got guys at all these positions except the MLB spot (including the Bess trade and the Butler trade).

The legitimate criticism that you and others made was of the trading our round 4 and round 5 picks that could have been used on a FS or OG for higher round picks next year. OK. I concur. I attribute this to Mike Lombardi's laziness....and not wanting to hand those important picks over to Tom Heckert's staff. I go along with that bitch.

But, yes, I still don't dislike the picks they have made...until they give us a reason to dislike them.

Like the Owen Marecic pick.....I think I have a reason to dislike it now....but I didn't then.

So, no I am not going to complain about the guys we have got....until they don't do the job.

Most successful teams are stocked with the quality talent they drafted 4-5-6 years ago. All we have from that long ago is JT and Rubin.

So, if I am going to bitch, I will bitch about those lost opportunities. Give me a few years before I have to bitch about the 2013 draft.

I wouldn't discount Janoris Slaughter as a terrific possibility at free safety. He had 98 tackles , 3 ints.. in 39 games,

19 reps on the bench....

forty time somewhere around 4.49 to 4.54.... if he steps into fs safety spot as the starter, how brilliant a pick would

that be then?

2013 NFL Draft: Browns pick Notre Dame safety Jamoris Slaughter in 6th round

By NATE ULRICH Published: April 27, 2013

The Browns selected Notre Dame safety Jamoris Slaughter this afternoon in the sixth round (No. 175) of the NFL Draft.

The 6-foot, 195-pound Slaughter missed 10 games this past season as a senior after rupturing the Achilles’ tendon in his left leg Sept. 15 against Michigan State. During a conference call, Slaughter said he's about 90 percent now. He expects to be 100 percent by training camp and compete for the starting free safety job.

Slaughter started 10 of the 13 games in which he appeared in 2011 and compiled 45 tackles, two pass breakups, one interception and a forced fumble.

The Browns need help at free safety, where Tashaun Gipson and Eric Hagg are in the mix for a starting job. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock believes Slaughter will compete for the job, too.

“Ultimately he’ll compete for a starting free safety job,” Mayock said during NFL Network’s broadcast. “That’s an excellent pick for the Cleveland Browns.”

Slaughter is known for his toughness and even played some outside linebacker for Notre Dame.

From nfldraft.com:

"You lose a Jamoris Slaughter, you're losing an A player," Irish coach Brian Kelly said Sunday.

He has the character, work ethic, he's smart, and has played lb, cb, safety positions - he's a great fit.

If he steps in at fs, that answers the whole Mingo in the first round question, and the trade with the squeelers question.

It was a brilliant draft, looks so far. We see how it all plays out. I predict Mingo will surprise a lot of folks in the dl rotation.

First, as safety, let's not bench Tashaun Gipson before we see if he's as good as two defensive coaching staffs think he is. Kid can play, I'm telling you. If he got the time on the field that Craig Robertson got, we'd be talking about them both as incredible finds.

Our pal Sobo responded to a question of mine by saying the Browns aren't the slightest bit concerned about their DBs and, in fact, feel like they're deep and talented there. They like Skrine, McFadden, and Owens quite a bit and even more after offseason practices. They like Gipson, Bademosi, and now Slaughter appears to be full go for camp.

Look, it's no coincidence that Kareem Jackson was a bust in Houston... then suddenly showed vast improvement in the year J.J. Watt had 414 sacks. Are Richard Sherman and Casey Hayward just flat out more talented than Morris Claiborne? I doubt it. They play on teams that get after the passer. Why does nobody complain about the Steelers revolving door at corner, never filled by first or even second round picks? Because it ain't a problem. Lebeau and the front 7 confuse and dismay.

Did Keenan Lewis come into the league higher rated than McFadden four years ago? Before he became a reliable #2 corner for the Steelers? Nope. McFadden is the more polished and skilled corner coming out of college. We commit WAY more to the position than the Steelers.

It's about rattling the pocket. Not just sacks but pressure, heat off the edge and a collapsing pocket in your face. Batted balls. Confusion. Those teams will find Haywards, Shermans, Lewises, Cullivers, etc. And the teams drafting corners in the top 10 won't get a return on investment, as a recent article made very clear.

I'm just glad we're figuring some of this stuff out. Pass the ball, rush the passer.

Gipson might very well win that job. He's a very talented, smart player.

At least there will be competition for that job.

J.J. Watt. A lot of teams would love to have him on their team now.

"no pash rush" = disaster.

Corner: Highly dependent on pass rush and intensely hampered by a series of rule changes. It's extremely difficult to be a shutdown corner in today's league. There really hasn't been a Revis since Revis, but every damn year draftnicks fall in love with a corner and say he's it.

anyone know how he got the nickname "KeKe"?

obviously it's a play on his name but im curious how it originated.

what else do we know about him? where was he born? any siblings? who's his favorite player? how many 225lb reps did he do at the combine?

*heads to wiki...*

Do you want to know his horoscope sign? His favorite color? His favorite food? If he is really interested in World Peace? Do you want to see his breeding papers? Perhaps we can just call him "Best in Show".

sure, if you'd like to share it. i mostly just want to talk about Barkevious in the 13 page long Barkevious thread. or at least about pass rush, Horton, or how he'll improve the DBs by shortening the time they need to cover. anything somewhat relevant really. as opposed to zombie nicknames and arguing w Steeler fans about who's roster is better ad nauseum in a Keke thread.

how do u even get to 13 pages without listing his birthday, combine results, or nickname anyway??

A: mostly by quoting 15 paragraphs of someone directly beneath the quoted post...then replying w one sentence. here's looking at you Gip. ;)

(although I don't blame you when you inject red answers, you often have so much you feel you need to reply to you'd be cutting and pasting all day. :)

My take is that A) The browns put more stock in the pass rush than the corners/safeties; B) that the new regime feel that there is more talent at corner/safety than meets the eye; C) that they took a couple of draft steels to address the position needs D) that passing 2013 draft choices for better 2014 draft choices gave them the opportunity to assess each position during the 2013 season and address them in the 2014 draft with their scouts' input. It also provides flexibility if they need to pool these picks to move up in the draft and get the player (QB?) they want.

One thing for sure, if QB performance improves, the better coaching and if draft/FA's hit potential, we could be all smiles come the fall. You could say this any year, but this year, I believe the probability is a lot higher than ever. Weedon was better as the year progressed and is in a system better suited to his style. Campbell is a better back- up. That's the number one key position that needs to improve. The rest only needs minor improvement and this team can be at or above .500.

I'm feeling dawg-gone good right now!

Yeah, Frenchie, that's a good point: No team logged more rookie minutes than the Browns last year. That means there are a ton of young players on whom the book isn't written yet. Guys you don't want to give up on or bury... and need to find out about. Tantamount among those would be guys who played well above their draft slot (or UDFA status): Robertson, Gipson, Winn, Josh Cooper, etc.

Unless you watch their film and DON'T see great promise, you treat them like prospects, free draft picks. If you have "prospects" Gipson and Bademosi, do you draft someone else to slot ahead of them? When you actually know more about them from pro film than you do about a 4th round safety?

You might say, "From what I've seen of Gipson on film, there's nobody from round 3 on down I'd automatically slide in front of him on the depth chart, even in pencil. So I would give him a round 2-3 grade in this year's draft. We can and should draft someone later for depth and competition, but the only way to get a new starter there is rounds 1 or 2 and we don't have a 2."

And the Browns didn't see value in a FS in rounds 1 or 2 compared to other needs. They didn't see playing Vaccaro there instead of Gipson moving the dial as much as drafting a pass rusher in one and corner in 3. You don't have to agree but it certainly makes good personnel sense.

sure, if you'd like to share it. i mostly just want to talk about Barkevious in the 13 page long Barkevious thread. or at least about pass rush, Horton, or how he'll improve the DBs by shortening the time they need to cover. anything somewhat relevant really. as opposed to zombie nicknames and arguing w Steeler fans about who's roster is better ad nauseum in a Keke thread.

how do u even get to 13 pages without listing his birthday, combine results, or nickname anyway??

A: mostly by quoting 15 paragraphs of someone directly beneath the quoted post...then replying w one sentence. here's looking at you Gip. ;)

(although I don't blame you when you inject red answers, you often have so much you feel you need to reply to you'd be cutting and pasting all day. :)

I just thought I would rag on you a bit with your Seventeen Magazine style approach. :lol:

Archived