THE BROWNS BOARD

Holy smokes did Randy get it right?

titleist585

KOKINIS DEAL COMING, BUT WILL LERNER STOP THERE?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2009, 11:15 p.m.

Browns coach Eric Mangini has indicated that Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis will soon be Cleveland’s new G.M., according to the Associated Press.

Kokinis spent Monday and Tuesday meeting with Mangini and other team employees. Speaking at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards on Wednesday evening, Mangini told the crowd that the team “will have news in the very short future.”

As we reported earlier in the day, Kokinis traveled to New York on Wednesday to meet with owner Randy Lerner.

But once Kokinis is hired, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the work will be done.

As Peter King suggested earlier this month (and as we mentioned in our most recent SportingNews.com item), Lerner could hire a Parcells-type overseer of the front office.

It might be news to Mangini and/or Kokinis.

But at least the 18 folks who were laid off by the team will know that their former salaries will be funding the compensation package for the position.

I was also glad to hear Jim Nantz on TV tonight stating that he believes the Browns got it right with Mangini.

Granted, he was in town speaking to Clevelanders so his statements may have been biased, but it's always good to hear someone support decisions.

I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember if it was on ESPN's or the PD's website) that the Lerner who's handling the current rebuilding is pretty far away from the one who inherited his dad's team; as I recall, the article cited his running of his English soccer team sort of showed him how to make better decisions in terms of putting the right people in place to run the team.

In his first go-round, he picked the "hot" picks for coach and GM--top assistant to the best coach, and top assistant to (very arguably) the best GM. This time, with sexier options out there, he went with a guy who just got canned--but who was a fairly successful coach for two of his three years in New York, and who would have made the playoffs if Bret Favre hadn't decided to hit the golf course in the middle of November. When everyone was screaming that you need the GM first, and that the only option was to give Pioli the keys to the entire franchise--which was odd, considering that the Phil Savage experiment flamed out after giving him exactly that kind of power--he picked the coach first, and then picked a front office guy to go get the players he thinks he needs. If he brings in someone like Ernie Accorsi (who would be my first choice) to have veto power over both the coaching staff and front office and oversee both, so much the better. I think he's handled the transition well.

Dennis

Honestly, truly, it feels good to me. Crennel did not.

I'm not going to get my hopes up too much this time around, butt....

I'm inclined to agree with you.

You're looking at 4 key positions, hc, oc, dc, gm.

I wanted at least 2 out of 4 of those spots to go to people with experience at those positions since it's been a trainwrech since day 1, no experience anywhere, always the hot up and comers.

I wanted some measure of stability to build off of, which we have this time around.

So, things are looking up, but I'm not declaring a Superbowl just yet.

It appears Lerner has made all his moves under the advisement of ernie accorsi which sounds to me as though it is possible accorsi has recieved the keys of the kingdom and nobody knew...if this turns out to be fact and ernie becomes the boss then it means accorsi has custom built the browns FO and chosen mangini as the coach assuming he was going to be the VP or higher of the organization...this would be a really good thing imo!

I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember if it was on ESPN's or the PD's website) that the Lerner who's handling the current rebuilding is pretty far away from the one who inherited his dad's team; as I recall, the article cited his running of his English soccer team sort of showed him how to make better decisions in terms of putting the right people in place to run the team.

In his first go-round, he picked the "hot" picks for coach and GM--top assistant to the best coach, and top assistant to (very arguably) the best GM. This time, with sexier options out there, he went with a guy who just got canned--but who was a fairly successful coach for two of his three years in New York, and who would have made the playoffs if Bret Favre hadn't decided to hit the golf course in the middle of November. When everyone was screaming that you need the GM first, and that the only option was to give Pioli the keys to the entire franchise--which was odd, considering that the Phil Savage experiment flamed out after giving him exactly that kind of power--he picked the coach first, and then picked a front office guy to go get the players he thinks he needs. If he brings in someone like Ernie Accorsi (who would be my first choice) to have veto power over both the coaching staff and front office and oversee both, so much the better. I think he's handled the transition well.

Dennis

For anyone unfamiliar with what Lerner has done with Aston Villa, he's been an absolute genius for them, mainly through hiring the right guys. They're likely about to become the first team to break into the top four (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd) in about ten years, which would be huge. He went out and got one of the best proven young managers when he came in, doesn't meddle much in matters on the field, supports his manager when he wants to sign a new player. He's about the only American or foreign owner who has come into the league and gained any respect (Although the Glazers have improved). I feel like he's doing the same thing here, he may not have been much of a football guy a few years ago but theres no doubt he's good at business and he's getting the right advice from a more experienced football guy. He's definately learning and i think he's making the right moves

McM-whatever, is crying the blues when the unfortunately reality is we're a results culture. Can you imagine the article he'd write if we released all the coaches only to hire someone inferior?

"The Browns, in their usual bumbling way, made a serious blunder. By letting their existing strength and conditioning coach out of his contract early he secured a job with a rival team. The Browns, left in the lurch, were forced to scramble and hired Richard Simmons for the job."

McM-whatever, is crying the blues when the unfortunately reality is we're a results culture. Can you imagine the article he'd write if we released all the coaches only to hire someone inferior?

"The Browns, in their usual bumbling way, made a serious blunder. By letting their existing strength and conditioning coach out of his contract early he secured a job with a rival team. The Browns, left in the lurch, were forced to scramble and hired Richard Simmons for the job."

All I know is if Dave Redding (strength a/conditioning) is available we should get him...IMO Hes the best in the business.

There's actually a pretty bad article out about us right now, from a biased source (McManamon or whatever it's spelled like).

Kinda puts a sour tune on some of this nice music we're making.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/38036039.html

12 people lost their jobs and it is unfortunate. I agree. But that is a drop in the bucket compared to the stuff going on every day.

Circuit City just dumped over 30,000 into unemployment. Banks are dumping thousands of employees every week.

If this guy is going to cry over 12...maybe he should take a look outside his rosey little glass hut.

Sounds like this guy has a ax to grind as much as anything else.

Yeah Peen I agree...Maybe Hes pissed because He didnt get the big scoop or something...Frankly...I find him to be a boring writer.

Yeah Peen I agree...Maybe Hes pissed because He didnt get the big scoop or something...Frankly...I find him to be a boring writer.

Could be....I was leanings towards he was hoping to land one of those jobs himself.

Maybe he isn't so upset those people were displaced, he is just ticked a position isn't going to be filled.

Newpaper writers are becoming a dime a dozen as newspapers are folding right and left as they become less important....and they weren't all they great paying jobs in the first place....being stuck as a indy spinning your tales on some net based news source has to be even less lucrative.

A nice job in the Browns PR department had to have sounded pretty good.

Could be....I was leanings towards he was hoping to land one of those jobs himself.

Maybe he isn't so upset those people were displaced, he is just ticked a position isn't going to be filled.

Newpaper writers are becoming a dime a dozen as newspapers are folding right and left as they become less important....and they weren't all they great paying jobs in the first place....being stuck as a indy spinning your tales on some net based news source has to be even less lucrative.

A nice job in the Browns PR department had to have sounded pretty good.

Yeah I had seen Him on STO with Michael Reghi who host's a weekly Browns show. So yeah I think your idea about the PR dept. is spot on But McMannamons personality is too dry and boring just like his articles are...Most sports writers and or sports jocks are always looking up the ladder for sure ...Hey if they can let an Idiot like Greg Brinda on the airwaves anythings possible

Newspaper guys are always looking for something better...it is more a stepping stone job than anything else for the vast majority.

The best you can really hope for as a sports writer is to become the local team beat writer...and those really don't pay all that well, and those jobs are usually held by the same people for 30 years or more. Timing and luck is as important (maybe more) in landing one of those than is any ability to put pen to paper.

Newspaper guys are always looking for something better...it is more a stepping stone job than anything else for the vast majority.

The best you can really hope for as a sports writer is to become the local team beat writer...and those really don't pay all that well, and those jobs are usually held by the same people for 30 years or more. Timing and luck is as important (maybe more) in landing one of those than is any ability to put pen to paper.

I guess the only great perk about being a Sports writer is you work from home on your laptop....Type out your article and email it to the Editor then goes to the press dept.....Check is electronically sent direct to Your account....cant be all too bad...

I guess the only great perk about being a Sports writer is you work from home on your laptop....Type out your article and email it to the Editor then goes to the press dept.....Check is electronically sent direct to Your account....cant be all too bad...

Maybe that is how it works now.

I have known a few newspaper writers over the years and they had to show up at their desk, get their assignments from the editor of their section, or turn in whatever it was they were submitting as their next piece.

But that was in the smoke filled newsroom days with the editor chomping on his stogy..

:lol::lol: That is funny!!!

I wonder if any of these staffers had anything to do with the PR problems the team had with all the Kellen Winslow stuff?

And yeah, if they aren't doing their jobs or their job duties can be split between others, it makes good fiscal sense.

The days of kicking everyone's butt at the line of scrimmage are over now

Archived