THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Released Gocong And Usama Young

WRREBEL

God the heckert and holmgren era turns out to be a joke

I was wondering what they were going to do with Gocong, but I'm not surprised by either move. In fact, I'm pleased.

Zombo

Signed a kicker too:

Browns release LB Gocong, safety Young

The Associated Press – 18 minutes ago

Email

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- The Cleveland Browns have released linebacker Chris Gocong and safety Usama Young.

They also signed placekicker Brandon Bogotay on Tuesday.

Gocong was expected to bolster the linebacking corps when he was acquired in 2010 from Philadelphia, and he did start 32 games. But he missed last season with a torn right Achilles tendon, and with a new defensive alignment under coach Rob Chudzinski and coordinator Ray Horton, Gocong was considered expendable.

Young was signed as a free agent in 2011. In two seasons with the team he had 19 starts, 118 tackles and four interceptions.

Bogotay kicked at Georgia for three seasons as a backup to Blair Walsh, who is now with the Vikings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-release-lb-gocong-safety-202906958--nfl.html

Signing players who have already played their best football is certainly a joke.. But the drafting by Heckert was above average IMO

Im not trying to be a Dick.. But who have they drafted that is so great?

Colt 3 rd , hardesty 2nd rd. no one player stands out as a oh my..

Owen maurecic?

Face it heckert was a complete dueche.

uhhhh...

haden and ward (2010)?

taylor, sheard and little (2011)?

TR, weeden, hughes and benjamin?

probably 50% of our best players picked by heckert. (i give no credit to holmgren as he only is a QB guru who is old fat and senile....yeah diehard, i'm waiting).

uhhhh...

haden and ward (2010)?

taylor, sheard and little (2011)?

TR, weeden, hughes and benjamin?

probably 50% of our best players picked by heckert. (i give no credit to holmgren as he only is a QB guru who is old fat and senile....yeah diehard, i'm waiting).

Don't forget Gordon! Definitely some good picks there. Cannot see how anybody could say otherwise and actually believe it. You are never going to hit on all of your picks. I would also add that we will likely find out that we have some other good value picks. JMJ might turn out well, as well as others. Time will tell.

thank god "slo-mo" backer is gone...now lets get rid of lavuao and get a real right guard in here.

So, who's our starting FS, Hagg? And, who starts at ILB next to Jackson, JMJ?? Not that Young or Gocong were good, but just wondering who we're looking at to replace these guys... Glaring holes at CB2, FS, and ILB that NEED addressed.

I can see cutting Gocong, other than that Steelers game where he stuffed a few runs on the goal line, I never saw the need to pay him what they did in that last contract. He was awful on run defense.

Cutting Young has me a bit confused. Not that he is great, but the Browns aren't exactly deep at the safety spot and Ward hasn't exactly been injury free. Off the top of my head that leaves Ward, Hagg and Ventrone. Unless they plan to do something with Sheldon Brown back there, they better get busy and find a starter. Hagg and Ventrone are warm bodies at best for anything other than ST.

JMJ was rated the 6th best ILB in the 2012 draft, started 8 games last year, is significantly more athletic than Gocong Robertson and Fort.. and although he's no All-Pro like DJ, the other ILB position is not a need.

CB this draft is ridiculously thin -- if we don't draft Milliner, the only other CB who's good enough to be a #2 starter in the NFL is Rhodes. Safety is stacked and this is the draft I hope we take a guy who played safety in college, because we'll be able to find a plus NFL starter in the 3rd round.. I hope it's Rambo from Georgia.

I think we should resign Sheldon Brown to a 1 or 2 year deal. Thoughts?

One year deal at near vet minimum to play safety- he's toast @ CB. Anything more than that- forget it. I seriously doubt he's in the Browns plans though.

... but the Browns aren't exactly deep at the safety spot and Ward hasn't exactly been injury free. Off the top of my head that leaves Ward, Hagg and Ventrone....

Ventrone is gone.

Actually we have Ward, Hagg, and Gipson listed as safeties, but Bademosi came out of college as a CB/S and our FA signing of Kevin Barnes as he was being tried FS in Washington before being traded.

Depth isn't the problem at that position, but a coverage FS to start opposite Ward (a liability in coverage) is still necessary to find. Not sure if Barnes was brought in with hopes of filling that position??

JMJ was rated the 6th best ILB in the 2012 draft, started 8 games last year, is significantly more athletic than Gocong Robertson and Fort.. and although he's no All-Pro like DJ, the other ILB position is not a need.

CB this draft is ridiculously thin -- if we don't draft Milliner, the only other CB who's good enough to be a #2 starter in the NFL is Rhodes. Safety is stacked and this is the draft I hope we take a guy who played safety in college, because we'll be able to find a plus NFL starter in the 3rd round.. I hope it's Rambo from Georgia.

JMJ didn't actually play much. I think Robertson might be the guy to take that other ILB spot. He was second on the team in tackles and looked great in coverage. I figured he'd be the nickel package linebacker, but I don't know if he can be a 3-down player.

CB is not ridiculously thin. Rhodes, Trufant and Jamar Taylor are all 2nd tier CB prospects.

I think we should resign Sheldon Brown to a 1 or 2 year deal. Thoughts?

I would be OK with that for sure. It would allow us to draft a #2 CB in the 2nd round in next year's draft. I think that drafting another CB in the top 10 is overkill and it seems most NFL GMs agree since only maybe one team has done it.

So, who's our starting FS, Hagg? And, who starts at ILB next to Jackson, JMJ?? Not that Young or Gocong were good, but just wondering who we're looking at to replace these guys... Glaring holes at CB2, FS, and ILB that NEED addressed.

I would be very surprised if the Browns do not draft a FS (my guess is in the 3rd round unless there is a trade back at 6). The Browns have met with the following DB prospects: Jonathan Cyprien , Don Jones, D.J. Swearinger, Logan Ryan, Dee Milliner, and Tyran Matthieu. The first three are safeties and the last three are CBs.

As faf as ILB I had JMJ slotted to start just because he is much more mobile- even before Gocong's achilles injury. JMJ played both ILB and OLB in college and I am pretty sure he has said he prefers the 3-4 scheme. We have some depth with Tank Carder, but again I think the Browns will draft an ILB in later rounds. I believe the team met with a kid from Iowa.

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE

37 Bademosi, Johnson DB 6-0 200 22 2 Stanford

34 Barnes, Kevin DB 6-1 190 26 4 Maryland

39 Gipson, Tashaun DB 5-11 205 22 2 Wyoming

23 Haden, Joe DB 5-11 190 23 4 Florida

27 Hagg, Eric DB 6-1 205 23 3 Nebraska

31 Miller, Prince DB 5-9 210 25 2 Georgia

21 Owens, Chris DB 5-9 180 26 4 San Jose State

38 Richardson, Kent DB 5-11 200 25 1 West Virginia

22 Skrine, Buster DB 5-9 185 23 3 Tennessee-Chattanooga

26 Wade, Trevin DB 5-10 190 23 2 Arizona

43 Ward, T. J. DB 5-10 200 26 4 Oregon

I think we are drafting Millner. If we don't I think Trevin Wade gets a good look at corner, I wonder what Lombardi and Farmer though of him coming out?

Owens and Barnes were most like brought in to add depth and compete for nickle and dime slots.

My darkhorse is Johnson Bademosi. he was a cover corner at Stanford, but in the NFL he has the perfect skills and size for a cover safety.

If we were not to draft a corner or a safety or sign another free agent (I think we will draft both) here is how I would see the camp battles ending up:

CB1 Haden

CB2 Wade

Backups: Skrine, Barnes, Owens.

SS Ward

FS Bademosi

Backups: Hagg, Gipson

I would be OK with that for sure. It would allow us to draft a #2 CB in the 2nd round in next year's draft. I think that drafting another CB in the top 10 is overkill and it seems most NFL GMs agree since only maybe one team has done it.

I would only be ok with that if comes in as FS. He just doesn't have the pace to keep up any more. Our pass defence was terrible last year - improving the rush will help, but if we go in with essentially the same secondary we'll get torched again, unless one of the unproven guys really has a breakout year.

Sheldon Brown is done, that's why he's not been resigned. He filled in last year as a starter, but he simply does not have the physical ability to perform at that level in 2013 or beyond. Nobody else on our roster is actually athletic enough to be an NFL starter.

Other GM's haven't drafted 2 cb in round 1, but that's because they achieved their starters by finding "diamonds in the rough" - such as Richard Sherman in rd 5 - or by overpaying for them in free agency.

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE

37 Bademosi, Johnson DB 6-0 200 22 2 Stanford

34 Barnes, Kevin DB 6-1 190 26 4 Maryland

39 Gipson, Tashaun DB 5-11 205 22 2 Wyoming

23 Haden, Joe DB 5-11 190 23 4 Florida

27 Hagg, Eric DB 6-1 205 23 3 Nebraska

31 Miller, Prince DB 5-9 210 25 2 Georgia

21 Owens, Chris DB 5-9 180 26 4 San Jose State

38 Richardson, Kent DB 5-11 200 25 1 West Virginia

22 Skrine, Buster DB 5-9 185 23 3 Tennessee-Chattanooga

26 Wade, Trevin DB 5-10 190 23 2 Arizona

43 Ward, T. J. DB 5-10 200 26 4 Oregon

I think we are drafting Millner. If we don't I think Trevin Wade gets a good look at corner, I wonder what Lombardi and Farmer though of him coming out?

Owens and Barnes were most like brought in to add depth and compete for nickle and dime slots.

My darkhorse is Johnson Bademosi. he was a cover corner at Stanford, but in the NFL he has the perfect skills and size for a cover safety.

If we were not to draft a corner or a safety or sign another free agent (I think we will draft both) here is how I would see the camp battles ending up:

CB1 Haden

CB2 Wade

Backups: Skrine, Barnes, Owens.

SS Ward

FS Bademosi

Backups: Hagg, Gipson

I was surprised Shurmer and company pushed Skrine out onto the field repeatedly but failed to give Bademosi a look when Haden was out. Especially during the godawful Cowboys game where Skrine was absolutely victimized. My blood pressure was through the roof lol. Owens and Barnes are depth and meant to push incumbent players in my opinion. I am not expecting too much from them.

I would only be ok with that if comes in as FS. He just doesn't have the pace to keep up any more. Our pass defence was terrible last year - improving the rush will help, but if we go in with essentially the same secondary we'll get torched again, unless one of the unproven guys really has a breakout year.

In fairness, football is a team game and our injured front 7 and lack of pressure had something to do with coverage. We were missing Taylor and Rubin in the middle of the line for a chunk of the season, and both of our starting OLBs from the previous year the entire season. Add in missing Haden for a third of the year and it is not surprising that the team struggled. I fully believe that Usama Young was so bad that adding a legit FS will make a big difference as well. The guy was a non factor in coverage (and a liability vs. the run).

Sheldon Brown is done, that's why he's not been resigned. He filled in last year as a starter, but he simply does not have the physical ability to perform at that level in 2013 or beyond. Nobody else on our roster is actually athletic enough to be an NFL starter.

Other GM's haven't drafted 2 cb in round 1, but that's because they achieved their starters by finding "diamonds in the rough" - such as Richard Sherman in rd 5 - or by overpaying for them in free agency.

Other GM's don't draft two top ten CB's because it is overkill and there are better ways to build a team. I saw a list of the #2 CBs from the top ten defenses last year and it was not as impressive as you might think. Shifting gears, as of right now Sheldon Brown is the top ranked FA CB available according to Walter Football:

Brown at 17

I looked this up just now, and it seems that the people at the site agree that he played well last year. He made some big plays and picks that were difference makers last year. People need to come to grips with the fact that all corners get beat from time to time (especially against Peyton Manning and with no FS help). It is just the way it is. Anyways, I highly doubt Brown comes back this year. It is almost a certainty considering Banner let him go in Philly a few years ago.

The only thing that would worry me about taking Millner in the first round is NFL teams that went with two stud CBs (Eagles and Jets) didn't fare very well doing so. :/

The only thing that would worry me about taking Millner in the first round is NFL teams that went with two stud CBs (Eagles and Jets) didn't fare very well doing so. :/

I hear ya, but I see it more as drafting for need ... Haden needs help.

Zombo

--Besides it worked in Cleveland before ... created a little thing called the "Dawgpound"

--Besides it worked in Cleveland before

To be fair, the only other position of need we have on the team where the player available has legitimate potential to be a first-ballot HoF is Warmack. And then get the 4th, 5th best CB in the third round, the best remaining ballhawking safety in the fourth, and BPA after that.

Robertson showed he could play so he'll be next to jackson. Fort has potential just didn't see enough of him. And at free safety id like to see gibson get a shot but they still need someone maybe that could play both fs and ss.

Archived