THE BROWNS BOARD

Virginia Gov. Mcdonnell Signs Bill Mandating Photo Id To Vote

Virginia Gov. McDonnell signs bill mandating photo ID to vote

Published March 27, 2013

Associated Press

• bobmcdonnell2.jpg?ve=1FILE: July 21, 2011: Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell speaks in Manassas, Va. McDonnell is also chairman of the Republican Governors Association. (AP)

RICHMOND, Va. – Gov. Bob McDonnell has signed legislation into law that will require voters to carry photo identification with them to the polls, starting next year in Virginia.

Virginia joins four other states that have strict photo ID requirements in place for elections, an action Democrats decried as a Jim Crow-era tactic to suppress the votes of the elderly, minorities and the underprivileged.

"This is merely a continuation of attempts by Republicans to suppress the vote of individuals who are not likely to support their right-wing agenda. I guess it's true that if you can't win elections the right way, cheat," said Sen. Mamie Locke, D-Hampton and chairman of the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus.

Republican majorities in the Virginia House and Senate pushed the bill to passage one year after a more modest GOP-sponsored voter identification law failed to prevent President Barack Obama from winning Virginia for the second presidential election in a row and a Democratic U.S. Senate victory.

Republicans who backed the measure say the bill is a necessity to prevent voter fraud and point to the ease of fabricating some forms of acceptable voter ID using widely available computer equipment and software.

The legislation provides for a free valid ID with the bearer's photo to any registered voter who lacks one.

Along with signing the legislation, McDonnell issued an executive order directing the State Board of Elections to implement a public education program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 congressional and U.S. Senate elections.

Other states with strict photo ID requirements are Georgia, Indiana, Tennessee and Kansas. Mississippi, Texas, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have passed similar measures, but they have not taken effect either because of adverse court rulings or pending Justice Department approval.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/27/virginia-gov-mcdonnell-signs-bill-mandating-photo-id-to-vote/#ixzz2Opcbseo1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virginia Gov. McDonnell signs bill mandating photo ID to vote

Published March 27, 2013

Associated Press

• bobmcdonnell2.jpg?ve=1FILE: July 21, 2011: Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell speaks in Manassas, Va. McDonnell is also chairman of the Republican Governors Association. (AP)

RICHMOND, Va. – Gov. Bob McDonnell has signed legislation into law that will require voters to carry photo identification with them to the polls, starting next year in Virginia.

Virginia joins four other states that have strict photo ID requirements in place for elections, an action Democrats decried as a Jim Crow-era tactic to suppress the votes of the elderly, minorities and the underprivileged.

"This is merely a continuation of attempts by Republicans to suppress the vote of individuals who are not likely to support their right-wing agenda. I guess it's true that if you can't win elections the right way, cheat," said Sen. Mamie Locke, D-Hampton and chairman of the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus.

Republican majorities in the Virginia House and Senate pushed the bill to passage one year after a more modest GOP-sponsored voter identification law failed to prevent President Barack Obama from winning Virginia for the second presidential election in a row and a Democratic U.S. Senate victory.

Republicans who backed the measure say the bill is a necessity to prevent voter fraud and point to the ease of fabricating some forms of acceptable voter ID using widely available computer equipment and software.

The legislation provides for a free valid ID with the bearer's photo to any registered voter who lacks one.

Along with signing the legislation, McDonnell issued an executive order directing the State Board of Elections to implement a public education program to tell voters about the new requirement before the 2014 congressional and U.S. Senate elections.

Other states with strict photo ID requirements are Georgia, Indiana, Tennessee and Kansas. Mississippi, Texas, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have passed similar measures, but they have not taken effect either because of adverse court rulings or pending Justice Department approval.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/27/virginia-gov-mcdonnell-signs-bill-mandating-photo-id-to-vote/#ixzz2Opcbseo1

If you cannot afford a damn license or ID then you clearly don't have your life in order and your vote should be disregarded anyways. How can you be knowledgeable on politics if you haven't even taken the initiative to get your ID? Of course Dems say this is "Jim Crow era tactics" because it would eliminate a part of their vote. I think it's common sense.

He is even waiving the fee for a state ID for those that can't afford it. This is just plain common sense to require an ID to vote. Otherwise, it could be anyone voting in your name. Cant believe this isn't already a law. Just think of all the fake votes that have been cast. It makes my vote seem worthless.

He is even waiving the fee for a state ID for those that can't afford it. This is just plain common sense to require an ID to vote. Otherwise, it could be anyone voting in your name. Cant believe this isn't already a law. Just think of all the fake votes that have been cast. It makes my vote seem worthless.

I agree with you 100%. I've heard numerous accounts of people voting multiple times- invariably democrat- yet somehow its "cheating" to require an ID

I agree with you 100%. I've heard numerous accounts of people voting multiple times- invariably democrat- yet somehow its "cheating" to require an ID

Because it eliminates all the people too lazy to get an ID, which are the people that are too lazy to better their own life. Sounds like a democrat to me.

That's really not too much of a stereotype, woody.

I'd say there's probably some reason that a person just couldn't get it together to scrape up an ID card.

And it's probably not because they are too smart or too self sufficient or too capable.

But I suppose if you are deficient in those 3 traits you're probably voting Democrat...

WSS

Sweeping stereotypes of the side you disagree with?

Yep, you are totally what's positive in our political system...

Do you even know why you vote democrat? I've never seen you take a serious stand on anything or back up an opinion of yours on these forums. Maybe you're just here to troll, or maybe you're just a democrat. In my opinion that is what is wrong with our political system. People on both sides of the aisle voting for something just because without actually thinking it through. Example: Obama won, what was it 90% of the black vote?

Do you even know why you vote democrat? I've never seen you take a serious stand on anything or back up an opinion of yours on these forums. Maybe you're just here to troll, or maybe you're just a democrat. In my opinion that is what is wrong with our political system. People on both sides of the aisle voting for something just because without actually thinking it through. Example: Obama won, what was it 90% of the black vote?

Cal... shut up.

I didn't vote Dem, and I am not a Dem... so...

I take that side you disagree with, therefore you ignore what I say.

or you (Cal) say something so idiotic a well thought out, researched, supported response is not warranted

Cal... shut up.

I didn't vote Dem, and I am not a Dem... so...

I take that side you disagree with, therefore you ignore what I say.

or you (Cal) say something so idiotic a well thought out, researched, supported response is not warranted

One would assume since you disagree with everything that I say you would be a democrat. After all, my fiscal beliefs are mostly conservative. You're saying you're just trolling, which is the least intelligent response of all, and you call me idiotic? That's funny bro. And what have I been ignoring? Your off the wall comments that have little to nothing to do with the original post?

That's really not too much of a stereotype, woody.

I'd say there's probably some reason that a person just couldn't get it together to scrape up an ID card.

And it's probably not because they are too smart or too self sufficient or too capable.

But I suppose if you are deficient in those 3 traits you're probably voting Democrat...

WSS

This again? Really?

Yes, these are people who are poor and/or old. Yes, they're likely Democratic voters. And yes, these are Republican efforts to lower Democratic turnout. The "voter fraud" thing is just the ruse to pass the law to lower the turnout.

Any other questions?

That's baloney. Hell, if they can vote, they can get a voter id.

Of course, heck, you prefer to have Obamao's black voters vote again and again and again...

and again. Isn't there anything at all you will be objective about? Or just sold your soul to the Obamao?

One would assume since you disagree with everything that I say you would be a democrat. After all, my fiscal beliefs are mostly conservative. You're saying you're just trolling, which is the least intelligent response of all, and you call me idiotic? That's funny bro. And what have I been ignoring? Your off the wall comments that have little to nothing to do with the original post?

Just because you say stupid shit doesn't mean I'm the opposite party as you...

Cal, I'm not trolling...

This again? Really?

Yes, these are people who are poor and/or old. Yes, they're likely Democratic voters. And yes, these are Republican efforts to lower Democratic turnout. The "voter fraud" thing is just the ruse to pass the law to lower the turnout.

Any other questions?

Bullshit. Why is it a ruse? You're saying that democrats don't have ID? Or that blacks don't? Why don't they? How do they identify themselves to cash checks? Have a bank account? Or they don't have those either? Hmmm. Bottom line is every state should have this law. It's crazy to let someone vote without ID. How do you know they are who they say? Why even bother with an election then. In Ohio it costs $8.50 to get a State ID card. It lasts 4 years. And yes, you need a SSN card, tax return or bill to prove residence, and birth certificate to get it. Boy, sure is a bitch to be a law abiding citizen.

Just because you say stupid shit doesn't mean I'm the opposite party as you...

Cal, I'm not trolling...

Find me one stupid thing I've said keeping in mind that there is a difference between stupid and opinionated. And I am not Cal. It's cute, but you can stop now.

Oh and I'm just wondering, how old are you? No, I'm not going to make fun of you or tell you that you have a lot to learn kid. I'm just curious.

I don't have much of a problem requiring ID for voters as long as you do it well in advance of an election and provide people every opportunity to get one before it's time. But I'm really not being overly-cynical here, my brother, and maybe for once you should be a little more. The in-person voter fraud thing has been shown over and over again to simply not be a major problem, or even a minor one. They have lawyers and teams of people looking out for instances of this and the only come away with a handful in each election. It simply isn't a problem.

Meanwhile, whether you'd like to shit on these people or not, there are a fair number of people - usually poor and/or old, or students, or from minority populations - who simply don't have a picture ID. And that number far, far outweighs the number - usually in the single digits or teens - of in-person voter fraud cases. And I mean by a lot. Take one state, Pennsylvania. They ran their registration rolls against their DMV records and came up with a number of PA voters who didn't have a drivers license. You know how many it was?

758,000. Or 9.8 percent of the registered voters in the state. In Virginia, it's estimated that 869,000 voters lack the ID to comply with the new law.

So, a handful of voter fraud cases versus likely thousands of disenfranchised voters. Maybe you can understand what the point is here.

And whether or not you think these voters are scum because they're poor, or because they're on federal assistance, here's one thing you don't seem to want to admit: they have the same right to vote that you have.

Or maybe you don't think that. I have no idea. You have them all reduced to an archetype of a lazy, black freeloader who watches bad TV all day, and lord knows you spend 85%-90% of your political life obsessing about those people.

But again, you don't seem to get this because you only believe that liberals have evil thoughts, but there's a whole operation devoted to figuring out ways to limit the Democratic turnout by changing voting laws. Voter ID is but one. There's also:

- Changing early voting laws.

- Banning Sunday before Election Day voting.

- Restricting the way voter registration drives can be conducted

- Creating fines for voter registration errors

- Banning Election Day registration.

- Purging ex-felons

It's not even a secret anymore. It's naked. It's all aimed at reducing Democratic turnout. (After all, what's the fraud claim to letting people vote after church? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that this is a tradition in the black community. No, no...) These are some of the ways the Republicans are trying to fight the demographic tide they're facing, and getting swamped by. Of course, they could try appealing to those constituencies, or at least not routinely offending them (See: Don Young's comments yesterday), but that would be a long term strategy that would require acknowledging you have a problem. This is a short-term strategy, one that also seems to have backfired.

What reason do you think they risk disenfranchising thousands of registered voters in order to prevent a handful - possibly - of in-person voter fraud cases?

Why would you ban voting on the Sunday before the election? What reason?

You think it's about the integrity of the election process? Really, Virginia?

I don't have much of a problem requiring ID for voters as long as you do it well in advance of an election and provide people every opportunity to get one before it's time. But I'm really not being overly-cynical here, my brother, and maybe for once you should be a little more. The in-person voter fraud thing has been shown over and over again to simply not be a major problem, or even a minor one. They have lawyers and teams of people looking out for instances of this and the only come away with a handful in each election. It simply isn't a problem.

Meanwhile, whether you'd like to shit on these people or not, there are a fair number of people - usually poor and/or old, or students, or from minority populations - who simply don't have a picture ID. And that number far, far outweighs the number - usually in the single digits or teens - of in-person voter fraud cases. And I mean by a lot. Take one state, Pennsylvania. They ran their registration rolls against their DMV records and came up with a number of PA voters who didn't have a drivers license. You know how many it was?

758,000. Or 9.8 percent of the registered voters in the state. In Virginia, it's estimated that 869,000 voters lack the ID to comply with the new law.

So, a handful of voter fraud cases versus likely thousands of disenfranchised voters. Maybe you can understand what the point is here.

And whether or not you think these voters are scum because they're poor, or because they're on federal assistance, here's one thing you don't seem to want to admit: they have the same right to vote that you have.

Or maybe you don't think that. I have no idea. You have them all reduced to an archetype of a lazy, black freeloader who watches bad TV all day, and lord knows you spend 85%-90% of your political life obsessing about those people.

But again, you don't seem to get this because you only believe that liberals have evil thoughts, but there's a whole operation devoted to figuring out ways to limit the Democratic turnout by changing voting laws. Voter ID is but one. There's also:

- Changing early voting laws.

- Banning Sunday before Election Day voting.

- Restricting the way voter registration drives can be conducted

- Creating fines for voter registration errors

- Banning Election Day registration.

- Purging ex-felons

It's not even a secret anymore. It's naked. It's all aimed at reducing Democratic turnout. (After all, what's the fraud claim to letting people vote after church? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that this is a tradition in the black community. No, no...) These are some of the ways the Republicans are trying to fight the demographic tide they're facing, and getting swamped by. Of course, they could try appealing to those constituencies, or at least not routinely offending them (See: Don Young's comments yesterday), but that would be a long term strategy that would require acknowledging you have a problem. This is a short-term strategy, one that also seems to have backfired.

More BS.

You could say heck is partially correct = as in...

The Reps and Independents want to reduce

the Democrat votes that are repetitive and illegal.....

Oh, for fuck's sake. hahaha.

That really should have been the response to your little diatribe.

You lose your mind whenever someone suggests that the absolute dregs of American society be asked to take the tiniest bit of responsibility.

Is it any wonder they vote Democrat?

No doubt that's the reason for your obvious patronization.

WSS

Find me one stupid thing I've said keeping in mind that there is a difference between stupid and opinionated. And I am not Cal. It's cute, but you can stop now.

Oh and I'm just wondering, how old are you? No, I'm not going to make fun of you or tell you that you have a lot to learn kid. I'm just curious.

Yeah, I didn't think so Woody.

Yeah, I didn't think so Woody.

I missed that. I apologize. Please forgive me.

I am a Jr at the university of Michigan studying mechanical engineering. I'm 21. I'm actually co-oping right now though.

I'll tell you what, next week time you say something stupid Cal, I'll point it out

Archived