THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawson To 49Ers

BadNewsBrowns

Phil Dawson was, and IS, a class act. IMHO, there is no one in the NFL more deserving of a Super Bowl Ring than Phil, which I'm sure he will achieve in SF. Their adding Boldin & Dawson pretty much locks that up.

Phil, thanks for the years & thrills. I blame neither you nor the current Browns' FO for this great loss, but I wish you well & thank you for all you have given us. God Bless & go get that ring!

Mike

^+1

Plain Dealer Article

If you read the PD article, it's plain as mud. Dawson really didn't want to be here (can anyone blame him for being tired of all the losing?), and Haslam & company are "building for the future"- again. :(:angry: Say what, Jimmy? You don't think you can turn the Browns into a Super Bowl contender by the 2014 season? That's why you & Banner are going for younger players?

Sad thing is Phil would have passed my all-time favorite Browns player Lou Groza this year in career scoring- he was only 79 points short. If the Browns hadn't sucked so badly over his 14 year career, he'd already be way past him.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, for that very late round draft pick or UFA here are the names of some top kicker prospects:

Dustin Hopkins Fla St.

Caleb Sturgis Fla.

Brett Maher Nebraska

Brandon McManus Temple

Anthony Cantele Kansas st.

Brett Baer La.-Lafeyette

Walter Football, Kickers

Heck, go for Sharp, Oklahoma State. Got rid of Phil, send Hodges packing while you're at it. Ya have a twofer, save a roster spot.

2 words, Mark Mosley. I heard he can still kick 25 yards.

To my knowledge he was the last staight ahead kicker in the NFL.

Pete Gogolak in the mid 60s was the first "soccer style" kicker, and Mosely the last so called "conventional" style kicker in the mid 80s. It only took 20 years to completely change the nature of a position.

Phil Dawson was, and IS, a class act. IMHO, there is no one in the NFL more deserving of a Super Bowl Ring than Phil, which I'm sure he will achieve in SF. Their adding Boldin & Dawson pretty much locks that up.

Phil, thanks for the years & thrills. I blame neither you nor the current Browns' FO for this great loss, but I wish you well & thank you for all you have given us. God Bless & go get that ring!

Mike

I am doubtful he will achieve it this year, given the track record of losing SB teams.

There ya go ... never heard of any of them, but I'll take Brandon McManus ... great Irish name and kicks in the cold for a team that doesn't score much ... he'll fit right in.

Zombo

Dustin Hopkins is a Florida State Grad. He's good! Got a strong leg and would be a very good pick. Browns would be smart to pick him up late rounds.

Love Phil and I hate to see the guy go, same with Cribbs. Part of me thinks this might be for the best though. Sure, we all know Phil wasn't the reason we were losing games but it's time to move on from this decade of misery including those who were a part of it. I genuinely hope the guy gets a chance to kick when it matters most though, just hope that isn't against us.

Love Phil and I hate to see the guy go, same with Cribbs. Part of me thinks this might be for the best though. Sure, we all know Phil wasn't the reason we were losing games but it's time to move on from this decade of misery including those who were a part of it. I genuinely hope the guy gets a chance to kick when it matters most though, just hope that isn't against us.

Well, since the AFCN plays the NFCN this year in the regular season, the only way Phil can kick against the Browns is if both teams make the Super Bowl!!!

Let's look forward to that! :o

Edit note: Ah, but I see it could happen in 2014 when the AFCN and NFCW match up.

Who else would you want to kick in the swirling winds of Candledick Park? The accomplished Dawson

got his ticket punched mastering the tricky wind currents of CBS and other venues of the breezey AFC North. If there ever was a

player who deserves his chance to play for a ring, it is certainly this guy. He has been a steady

and calming force in an otherwise dysfunctionally defective goat fkcu known as da Browns. He's been a class act

while in Cleveland. He's got my utmost respect and best wishes.

Looks like the offence will have to step up the red zone game . If Brandon puts it in the end zone we will have no need for a Field goal kicker .Dawson always does that little gay wiggle when he sets his feet ,If I never see that again in my life it will be a JOY .

Hey slapdick....how do you know that he wanted to come back here? Read the article that was posted on cleveland.com. He wrote Phil was here 1999-2012 in his locker after the last home game. Does that sound like a guy who WANTED to come back this season? Were you in the meetings between Phil and the front office? Maybe he said if you franchise tag me, I'll just retire rather than play another season? As someone else said, he's wanted out the last two seasons and who can blame him. He's had to play on some pretty shitty teams over the years.

If you want to blame someone...blame the last owners and front office jerk offs who couldn't put a winning team on the field. He knows we're rebuilding still and he's only got a couple of good years left. The dude wants to win some games and play in the playoffs, theres not one person on this board if they're being honest would say that they would rather play in Cleveland than San Francisco at this point.

PG....you are a fucking Retard and this board is dumber every time you post something.

Phil...good luck and thanks for all the years of service and putting up with a shitty team over and over again.

He wanted a chance at a ring before he retires, don't blame him one bit. Good luck.

Looks like the offence will have to step up the red zone game . If Brandon puts it in the end zone we will have no need for a Field goal kicker .Dawson always does that little gay wiggle when he sets his feet ,If I never see that again in my life it will be a JOY .

I look at the kick, not the 'gay wiggle'.

The bottom Line is no need for a kicker if your putting it in the end zone . January 5, 2003 - Wild Card - Pittsburgh 36, Cleveland 33 24 yard field goal in the 4th , We settle for a field goal and lose by 3 , The chance taken would have lost by six or won by one , whats the difference . we settled because Phil never misses .

I'd stay with the Browns.

Zombo

...so would I.

The NFL is a business, not a charity organization. Phil desires new opportunities elsewhere, so we pickup a young K to be our franchise kicker for the next 14 years. End of story.

PoeticG is exactly whats wrong with many US professional sports fans...they treat everything in sports so damn personally. Relax, and remember that its a BUSINESS. If you had more prestigious, higher paying opportunities at a competing company of the one you're working at right now, would you take it? You'd be an absent minded idiot if you didn't. Cya Dawson, and no offense but as a kicker you are incredibly replaceable.

We lost Dawson for a 1 yr 2.25 mill contract. Hmmmm!!???

... and a final chance to leave a mark on the NFL, as well as get a ring on the way out.

Good for you Phil. I was glad when Kosar got his with the Cowboys and same for Phil.

Mary Kay Cabot Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot Dawson on if #Browns had made same offer: "If worms had guns, birds wouldn't eat 'em. Once became apparent SF was legit, got excited''

Dawson = Worm, Banner = Bird, San Frans offer = Gun

Banner tried to lowball Dawson and wouldn't pay him more. That's how I interpret it anyhow.

Mary Kay Cabot Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot Dawson on if #Browns had made same offer: "If worms had guns, birds wouldn't eat 'em. Once became apparent SF was legit, got excited''

Dawson = Worm, Banner = Bird, San Frans offer = Gun

Banner tried to lowball Dawson and wouldn't pay him more. That's how I interpret it anyhow.

Subsequently I feel like this could a perfect slogan for the NRA against the new gun law measures.

I think Dawson's decision had nothing to do with money and everything to do with playing for a contender while he still can. I think that's pretty clear here. He's been trying to do this for the past two seasons but was unable to when the Browns franchised him. I wish him all the luck and will be a part-time 49ers fan next year. This guy toiled on a shitty team for long enough. It's time he got a shot at glory. People who are angry over this, whether towards Dawson or Banner, just don't get it. So long Phil, and thanks for all the kicks.

Burn his jersey!

Right?

That's how we fly off the handle

Right?

If you're making a reference to LeBum, totally different situation. Dawson- native Texan, Bum- native NE Ohio. Dawson 14 years with team, nearing end of career. Bum, in prime of career, would rather play with his pals. Doubt anyone burned an Ilgauskas jersey- there's your apples to apples comparison.

I think Dawson's decision had nothing to do with money and everything to do with playing for a contender while he still can. I think that's pretty clear here. He's been trying to do this for the past two seasons but was unable to when the Browns franchised him. I wish him all the luck and will be a part-time 49ers fan next year. This guy toiled on a shitty team for long enough. It's time he got a shot at glory. People who are angry over this, whether towards Dawson or Banner, just don't get it. So long Phil, and thanks for all the kicks.

The funny thing may be, however, that with the Super Bowl curse, the Browns could end up being the better team!!

Whadday think about that?

Archived