THE BROWNS BOARD

Carl Smith, QB Coach

WPB Dawg Fan

looks like all the pieces are likely to be in place by the end of this week:

Browns Coaching Staff: Carl Gets Closer

By TheOBR.com

Posted Jan 21, 2009

As John Taylor reported earlier this week, former QB Coach Carl Smith appears set to return to town.

Continuing our previous reporting, and that of the National Football Post, the OBR’s John Taylor reported late Monday night in the OBR’s Insider Blog that the Browns continue to get closer to a contract with quarterback coach Carl Smith. While no announcements have been made, Smith’s arrival in Cleveland now seems extremely likely.

Here is John’s blog entry from Monday night:

Smith and his agent spent part of today going over the particulars of a contract with the Browns that will make him the next QB coach of the club.

He is expected to agree to the deal at some point tomorrow; it's unknown when the Browns will officially announce Smith's hiring.

A USC source tells The OBR that Smith informed Trojan head coach Pete Carroll over the weekend that he will be taking the Cleveland job. The move by Carroll to hire Jeremy Bates away from the Broncos was caused in part by Smith's decision.

Bates will be responsible for offensive play-calling for the Trojans, but will not carry the title of offensive coordinator. Smith was originally slated for USC game-day play-calling duties, but, like Bates, would not have held an official OC title.

A Browns source tells The OBR that Smith is valued by Eric Mangini as "an experienced sounding board" for Brian Daboll, who will be in his first year as an NFL coordinator.

I am really liking the staff and fo we are putting together here. Plenty of experience...and a good measure of new/old blood.

looks like all the pieces are likely to be in place by the end of this week:

I am really liking the staff and fo we are putting together here. Plenty of experience...and a good measure of new/old blood.

Ahh ... Carl Smith.

Brings back memories of Couch - Holcomb.

He was our QB coach from 2001-2003, which was the height of the controversy.

Which means he was the QB coach when Couch beat the Steelers on the road in 03 and when Holcomb threw for over 400 in the playoffs against them.

I think he did the best he could with Timmy and Holkie ... they certainly didn't do anything after him.

Quinn is in good hands with Daboll and Smith, I believe. And if Anderson sticks around, they can only be a positive for him too.

It'll be nice having a couple QB - passing game guru types rather than fullbacks and tight ends calling the offense.

Zombo

Archived