THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Free Agency Activity Thread

TheClevelandSound

so geno smith killed it in his pro day yesterday.

so i'm watching boomer and carton (msg network, boomer eswiason and craig carton....better than mike and mike) and esiason says he won't make it out of the top ten and he might not make it out of the top five. then they mentioned the teams desperate for a qb and were talking about a bidding war between them to move up. which of course puts us in the thick of things at number six.

no, i didn't mention taking smith ourselves because we have a QB we drafted last year in front of a QB we drafted 3 years ago. besides there will be a geno smith+3 coming out next year. we should ride weeden's arm this year and let him prove himself (or not).

if milner and jones or jordan are gone do we trade down no question and pick up another pick or do we take BPA? i really think the heat behind smith is going to rise and teams will start throwing things at the first 6 teams to move up and get him. if we can trade down and still get a player we need and pick up a second, i say we do that.

You might be right, and if it meant moving down a spot or two for an extra pick I'd be on board. However the Lions and Eagles are in a great spot to trade down as well, which I see happening as of today. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bills hop up to 4 to grab Smith. The Cardinals or Bills have to take a QB though, it's just a matter of how much they like Geno over the seemingly rest of the 2nd round talents.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only QB in the first round will be Geno Smith, 7 to Arizona at the latest. The talk I heard yesterday was that Buffalo would go after Nassib in the second or third, not the first.. which leaves us with no dance partner. Also, next year is 4 QB's in the top10.. so I don't think teams will try very hard to trade up this year. Stranger things have happened, but trading back requires someone else to desire to give up 2 solid starters for the 6.

You cannot win without a good QB in this league, period! Teams need a good QB, and that includes the Browns, Cardinals, Eagles, Bills and Jaguars. Probably missed somebody there. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 2 QB's go in the top ten this year if a few of them have great pro days. We will see how all of their pro days go. As was stated earlier Geno Smith blew everybody away. Last year we saw that from the Redskins QB and look where he ended up being drafted. My guess is that the Browns sitting at 6 will once again be sitting to low in the draft to either get the QB they want, or to trade back and let somebody else get the QB they want. Geno Smith will likely go #1 or #2 this year which means if those other teams really want one of the other guys they will have to jump at the chance, miss out or have a good backup plan.

Added note: QB's are the most valuable commodity in the NFL! If you have a good QB you have a winning team, if you have two you have a winning team plus big time trade value. The Problem with the Browns is they haven't had a good QB since Kosar. And there is no indication Weeden will ever be good enough. So if I thought one of those QB's was the real deal I would jump, and if I liked a late round guy I would probably jump again. Then let the best man win. But that's just me.

If you are judging a player by a pro day workout your crazy. A pro day is a choreographed practice that's been practiced for the past month a 1000 times over. Its as meaning less as it gets, its more for the media to ooh and awwe over and qb thread starters to reinforce their opinions.

If you are judging a player by a pro day workout your crazy. A pro day is a choreographed practice that's been practiced for the past month a 1000 times over. Its as meaning less as it gets, its more for the media to ooh and awwe over and qb thread starters to reinforce their opinions.

oh, i agree 100%. but because of the 'overated' and 'blown up' hype spouted from people like ron jaworski (who i think blows) the teams that are looking desperately for a QB and will take a chance on smith might gamble and start throwing offers at the top 6 six teams to see what will stick.

cardinals, buffalo definitely need QBs and don't forget about the jets. i like david garrard but in no way do the jets think he is their guy of the future. another injury and you're back to mr. butt fumble.

oh, i agree 100%. but because of the 'overated' and 'blown up' hype spouted from people like ron jaworski (who i think blows) the teams that are looking desperately for a QB and will take a chance on smith might gamble and start throwing offers at the top 6 six teams to see what will stick.

cardinals, buffalo definitely need QBs and don't forget about the jets. i like david garrard but in no way do the jets think he is their guy of the future. another injury and you're back to mr. butt fumble.

In all reality all you have to do to make sure teams don't trade up with a team ahead of us to grab Smith is to tell them we will trade with them, meaning that they won't have to offer as much, if say they were to trade up to 4 or 5, and that we would take the best off given to us. I think the only other spot we might possibly see teams like the Cards or Bills trade up to is #2, and that would be so they could get ahead of the Raiders.

Really, the Bills or Jets trying to move ahead of Arizona is the only concievable trading partner we have to move down. That move would only get us a 3rd rounder in return, but either way it's a pretty safe trade for us. I think our priority (as of right now) is Milliner so if he goes to the Lions and Geno is still on the board then no doubt we try and trade down. We could probably still get Ansah or Jones at #8 or #9.

I hear Banner is really high on Jones, as am I. Is there any possibility he can play ILB in a 3-4?? I heard he was versatile, but I have not looked into it or watched enough fil to know if that is even an option.

The Eagles acquired Arrelious Benn for a 6th round pick.

The guy was a 2nd round pick only two years ago. He has a good combo of size and speed and is only 24 years old.

He's been an absolute non factor in TB, but I feel he had greater upside than most 6th round picks.

dolphins are going all out this FA. not saying i agree with their picks or the money being spent but they just signed one of the better TEs (IMO) in the league in keller.

his #'s aren't all that but if you had sanchez throwin the ball to you, your #'s wouldn't be that impressive either.

Really, the Bills or Jets trying to move ahead of Arizona is the only concievable trading partner we have to move down. That move would only get us a 3rd rounder in return, but either way it's a pretty safe trade for us. I think our priority (as of right now) is Milliner so if he goes to the Lions and Geno is still on the board then no doubt we try and trade down. We could probably still get Ansah or Jones at #8 or #9.

I hear Banner is really high on Jones, as am I. Is there any possibility he can play ILB in a 3-4?? I heard he was versatile, but I have not looked into it or watched enough fil to know if that is even an option.

But they would be trading for a QB pick. That inflates the value. Plus they would be bidding against each other, that inflates the value even further.

dolphins are going all out this FA. not saying i agree with their picks or the money being spent but they just signed one of the better TEs (IMO) in the league in keller.

his #'s aren't all that but if you had sanchez throwin the ball to you, your #'s wouldn't be that impressive either.

4 of the last 5 teams that spent the most in FA actually regressed the following year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do terrible next year.

4 of the last 5 teams that spent the most in FA actually regressed the following year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do terrible next year.

Yeah I read that one too, cleveland traded away 4/5ths of the draft away for corey williams and shaun rogers. Then preceded to over pay D.A and Dante stallworth.

Yeah I read that one too, cleveland traded away 4/5ths of the draft away for corey williams and shaun rogers. Then preceded to over pay D.A and Dante stallworth.

I couldn't bring myself to read the part about Cleveland. I literally started to have a panic attack. The mismanagement and stupidity physically make me ill.

Fred Davis, Toledo native.

In an interview with 92.3 The Fan last week, Davis, a Toledo native, said it would be "awesome'' to return to Ohio and play for the Browns if he didn't re-sign with the Redskins.

"I mean, you want to end up somewhere where you know you could fit and feel comfortable,” Davis told 92.3 The Fan. "If you’re talking about two or three million dollars difference with a team, I would rather go for happiness any day than some more money. I’d rather be somewhere where I know that they’re gonna use me to the best of my ability, believe in me, a team that wants to give me a chance to come in and help them any kind of way, right away, and let’s win some games. That’s what I want. I don’t want to just go for the money and just start losing. I kind of want to be in a position where I can help a team win.''

Duh Winning.

His gift is rushing the passer. You dont draft jones to put him on the inside.

Let's give Brandon Lloyd a 1-yr deal to rehabilitate his career.. 1 yr, 2M is more than what he was going to make in NE before he was cut.

I like your thinking, but without looking it up hasnt he been injured alot the last few years?

Maybe time to let him go to pasture if you ask me.

bad chemistry at his last two teams. But his 1400 yd season was 2 seasons ago and seems longer than that. Perhaps just 1yr/1M.

If we're going to sign a FA WR, Alexander has to be that guy.. not lloyd.

Either guy. Lloyd didn't have a bad season last year. 900 yards and 4 TD in an offense with Welker as the #1 option and two TEs as the #2 and #3. One year deal for him would be good. Alexander would be a nice young pick up, has proven to be a great producer when healthy, but last season was his only healthy season out of 3. Both guys are gambles.

Hey, Banner: Shut up and resign Dawson. Yesterday.

Who are you going to replace him with, Tynes: who was 1-3 from 50+ while Dawson was 7-7?

^+1. If you saw the other thread, with Banner's comments- something is up. Joe isn't saying until Dawson signs somewhere, though he did leave the door open to resigning Phil. Unless they're in cap hell, you think the 49ers wouldn't want to upgrade Akers?

Pollard to the Titans

Reed to the Texans

Jennings to the Vikings

McClain given permission by Raiders to seek a trade --> I wouldn't mind offering a 6th or 7th for this guy - he'd beat out either TJ Ford or Gocong for a backup ILB spot. Neither of them were going to do much long-term for us anyway.

Cribbs failed his physical in Arizona because of a partially torn meniscus.. Is he still under contract to Cleveland or not?

Dumerville is now taking FA visits.

Munnerlyn resigned with Carolina.

Ben Watson signed with the Saints.

Brandon Myers signed with NYG.

Browns are hosting Kellen Davis TE from Chicago today...

I get the feeling they're not getting Fred Davis TE, and they already lost Brandon Myers

I'm assuming offensive FAs are not looking at Cleveland very highly b/c of our unconfidence at the QB position. These players know QB is the most important position on the offense, and I'm thinking they're not sold on Weeden throwing them the ball. Reports had us talking to Edelman, Myers, F.Davis, and Brandon Gibson... but none have panned out yet.

I'm still waiting to hear about Grimes, but usually the farther away it gets from a visit, the less likely they sign so it's not looking good.

We despirately need to add talent to the CB position. If we can't get somebody decent through FA, then the #6 pick will certainly be Milliner... assuming he's still there.

Archived