THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Free Agency Activity Thread

TheClevelandSound

According to a source close to the Welker camp, another AFC team offered Welker a larger contract, at about 8 million a year but he refused because they weren't a contender.

I have a feeling that was us. We have the cap space to appease him.

Doubt it was us when we are moving to a vertical passing attack.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what you think of Rubin and weeden for Mallet and New England 1st or 2nd round pick? I think I am dreaming here. It probably be more like 2nd or 3rd round pick, because lombardi will give in to his old buddy.

I have absolutely NO interest in trading Rubin. Especially for a guy that in my opinion the Pats may just end up releasing....or at best sticking at their 3rd QB slot.

Enough talk about Mallet. Mallet is a Mallethead, that is why BB is trying to sucker someone into taking him.

Amendola is hardly a "poor mans" Wes Welker. He's just never had a great quarterback. Who was Wes Welker before Tom Brady? Amendola is a dynamic receiver that once again never had an elite quarterback. They essentially got a younger, taller Wes Welker for the same amount of money. It's a tremendous signing and the very reason Bellicheat and the spy gate princes stay at the top of their game. His injuries have also been random. Arm, Collarbone etc. Nothing that would effect his play long term. He's going to light it up in New England. You heard it here first.

Fair statement. Certainly Brady can make him look good the way he made Welker look good.

The Patriots wouldn't have given him that contract if they were worried about it. Let's be realistic and as I said he's going to be a beast in New England. He was having a strong season last year before the injury.

Plenty of injury prone guys get contracts, that doesn't mean he isn't injury prone. I'd bet my car there's a lot of language in his contract protecting the patriots if he gets injured. No matter how you slice it the guy missed 20 games the past two seasons. Injuries have a way of latching onto people in the NFL.

Also predicting Amendola is going to do well with Tom Brady in the exact same role Welker was in isn't some great prophecy. I'm pretty sure you weren't the first person to say or think that one.

Cassel just got cut what you think about him competing against weedster?

Cassel and Fitzpatrick don't seem like the Chud/Norv types. They are more game-managers than game breakers. Don't have the big arms. But both would be an upgrade over Colt IMO. Who else is out there?

Zombo

Cassel and Fitzpatrick don't seem like the Chud/Norv types. They are more game-managers than game breakers. Don't have the big arms. But both would be an upgrade over Colt IMO. Who else is out there?

Zombo

No big name at all. If it's not cassel then I am thinking the pats trade for mallet. But I kind of like the wilson kid from arkansas. I can see him being a big time QB. Not a Cam Newton/Manning QB, but more like a cutler type.

Why would the Browns trade for Mallet when they have the 6th pick in the first round? It is likely that every single QB will be on the board at that point. They can trade back, pick up more picks and still get a QB they like. There is no way you can get me to believe that their will not be at least three QB's in this draft who are better than Weeden. You can say it but I won't believe it. Weeden is going to have to earn his job in camp this year because he will be competing with a rookie. Hope he has been practicing, because he needs it.

According to a source close to the Welker camp, another AFC team offered Welker a larger contract, at about 8 million a year but he refused because they weren't a contender.

I have a feeling that was us. We have the cap space to appease him.

Nope it was the Tennessee Titans.

The other team that pursued Welker was the Tennessee Titans, a source familiar with the situation said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9048556/wes-welker-agrees-terms-denver-broncos

Source ESPN NFL Insider Rumors

UPDATE: The Cleveland Browns have been mentioned as a possibility for nearly ever available free agent due to having the most salary cap space at the onset of the new NFL business year. The Browns are interested in cornerbacks, and Sean Smith may be on the team's radar.

"Per NFC scout: Don't be surprised if CB S. Smith winds up with Browns," Darren Connolly IV of the Atlanta Free Press tweeted.

The Browns would like to add a cornerback opposite Joe Haden. They had interest in Greg Toler before he signed with Indianapolis. The team is also quietly surveying Aqib Talib's status. Smith could be the team's fallback plan and would fit the early definition of a team "monitoring" the cornerback's situation.

Eagles are out of the running for Sean Smith also reported on rotoworld and ESPN

No but it does mean that you more than likely don't sign a 30+ year old guy who is only known for running short routes for 7.5 million a year. That much should be obvious.

When your GM is an understudy of Bill B. and has had nothing but questionable acquisitions on his résumé, anything that comes onto the FA market from the Patriots will be considered a viable acquisition. That much should be obvious as well.

No but it does mean that you more than likely don't sign a 30+ year old guy who is only known for running short routes for 7.5 million a year. That much should be obvious.

That is what a slot receiver does no matter the age. short, intermediate routes. You get the safety biting on the z receiver underneath, you will get burned over the top. So that's his job.. the underneath short YAC stuff

Sean Smith signed with the Chiefs.

Are we going to make any more moves?

I hope so getting bored. I guess they had browns guys at Geno Smith workout today. I guess he looked good from what I am reading.

But I still think we need a Guard, WR, CB, P, and K. That's still a lot of holes to fill with a caliber starter. Any news on Dawson?

For CB I believe Captain Munnerlin (Panthers) is still out there. We may be stuck with Hodges (nothing else out there) unless we're planning on drafting a punter in the 5th round.

Banner said "no comment" on Dawson. That's baffling, as he's by far the best option out there as a kicker.

With Matt Cassell being cut, will the Browns have any interest in him?

Um at guard if we don't go CB in the first round, IMO no reason to not take Warmack (especially if we can trade down a few spots). That gives the Browns a studly OL and DL.

For CB I believe Captain Munnerlin (Panthers) is still out there. We may be stuck with Hodges (nothing else out there) unless we're planning on drafting a punter in the 5th round.

Banner said "no comment" on Dawson. That's baffling, as he's by far the best option out there as a kicker.

With Matt Cassell being cut, will the Browns have any interest in him?

Um at guard if we don't go CB in the first round, IMO no reason to not take Warmack (especially if we can trade down a few spots). That gives the Browns a studly OL and DL.

For some reason I hate it when we trade down. Just memory of trading down with wimbley when we could of gotten Ngata and trading down and missing out on Jones the receiver that Atlanta got. I really just hate it.

steven jackson to hotlanta.

i think easily now the favorite in the nfc south.

Think he has much left in the tank?

I've always wondered what kind of numbers he would be able to put up if he was on a good team.... Guy is a freaking Clydesdale...

Think he has much left in the tank?

I've always wondered what kind of numbers he would be able to put up if he was on a good team.... Guy is a freaking Clydesdale...

hopefully changing scenery and being on a REAL contender will put a little more juice in his gallop.

hell if michael turner could do it behind that line.....imagine jackson.

i think he'll go out there with something to prove to himself and to the fans. good luck to him. even though he's not a brown, he's one of those guys you gotta give mad respect to.

not wimbley winslow my fault...

Actually, you had it right- we swapped spots with the Ravens- they took Ngata, we took Wimbley.

That was Doofus Davis who traded UP one spot to get his Miami Man-Crush Winslow. Might have been worth it if Knievel Winslow hadn't been doing stunts in a parking lot on his crotch rocket.

so geno smith killed it in his pro day yesterday.

so i'm watching boomer and carton (msg network, boomer eswiason and craig carton....better than mike and mike) and esiason says he won't make it out of the top ten and he might not make it out of the top five. then they mentioned the teams desperate for a qb and were talking about a bidding war between them to move up. which of course puts us in the thick of things at number six.

no, i didn't mention taking smith ourselves because we have a QB we drafted last year in front of a QB we drafted 3 years ago. besides there will be a geno smith+3 coming out next year. we should ride weeden's arm this year and let him prove himself (or not).

if milner and jones or jordan are gone do we trade down no question and pick up another pick or do we take BPA? i really think the heat behind smith is going to rise and teams will start throwing things at the first 6 teams to move up and get him. if we can trade down and still get a player we need and pick up a second, i say we do that.

Archived