THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Free Agency Activity Thread

TheClevelandSound

Says a lot about the quality of our players last year, that!

TE Alex Smith unsigned

DE Juqua Parker unsigned

LB Scott Fujita unsigned

S Usama Young unsigned

P Reggie Hodges unsigned

LB Kaluka Maiava, signed by the Raiders

LG Chris Gocung unsigned

WR Mohammed Massaquoi unsigned

WR Josh Cribbs unsigned

DE Frostee Rucker, signed by Cardinals

TE Ben Watson, signed by Saints

K Phil Dawson, signed by 49ers

CB Sheldon Brown unsigned

All important contributors to the browns last year or previous years, 4 out of 13 signed by someone else. 5, if you assume cribbs will go somewhere.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says a lot about the quality of our players last year, that!

TE Alex Smith unsigned

DE Juqua Parker unsigned

LB Scott Fujita unsigned

S Usama Young unsigned

P Reggie Hodges unsigned

LB Kaluka Maiava, signed by the Raiders

LG Chris Gocung unsigned

WR Mohammed Massaquoi unsigned

WR Josh Cribbs unsigned

DE Frostee Rucker, signed by Cardinals

TE Ben Watson, signed by Saints

K Phil Dawson, signed by 49ers

CB Sheldon Brown unsigned

All important contributors to the browns last year or previous years, 4 out of 13 signed by someone else. 5, if you assume cribbs will go somewhere.

And I have little concern about the Browns ability to replace any of them with someone better except perhaps Dawson and Cribbs.

Everyone gets pissed every year when we don't pull some kind of dream team scenario. Guess what, we just did 5 times more than we did in any of the previous few years. We got two top guys at 2 positions, filled depth at two more. Everyone's pissed cause we didn't throw a lot of money at guys coming off very serious injuries. Why? I had to calm my roommate down the other day when he went on a rant saying that the Browns never do anything in FA. The same guy who was cheering on the first day when we made our two big signings.

We have the draft, we have the first round of player cuts after the draft and at the start of training camp. We are going to be fine.

I don't want a dream team. I just want to address the positions of need, namely CB,OLB, FS and G. We missed the boat in every viable starting CB. We missed the boat on every viable starting FS. We addressed OLB. We didnt address G.

We went into free agency needing to fill at least 4 positions. We left it still needing to fill 3. We are not getting three starters out of this draft, especially without a second round pick.

We are not getting three starters out of this draft

I actually disagree with you. Josh Gordon is technically part of this draft class - but whatever.

There's very few starting-caliber CB's in this draft.. that will probably be Milliner at 6, the only other candidates are Warmack and Jones.

Safety however is extraordinarily deep, the best at that position in a decade. We will be able to grab a starting-caliber FS in round 3.

As for guard, who knows: Draft 3,4 of them in the late rounds and let 'em fight it out, somebody should be able to be better than lauvao.

Can't fix everything all at once, but IMHO everything but guard should be addressed satisfactorily for a while.

I actually disagree with you. Josh Gordon is technically part of this draft class - but whatever.

There's very few starting-caliber CB's in this draft.. that will probably be Milliner at 6, the only other candidates are Warmack and Jones.

Safety however is extraordinarily deep, the best at that position in a decade. We will be able to grab a starting-caliber FS in round 3.

As for guard, who knows: Draft 3,4 of them in the late rounds and let 'em fight it out, somebody should be able to be better than lauvao.

Can't fix everything all at once, but IMHO everything but guard should be addressed satisfactorily for a while.

I can't see us staying at 6 personally. Banner/Lombardi will want to put their mark on the roster, and a second round pick, ie another starter, would help them do that. Trading down to 12 with Miami (and then potentially again) you could see us taking Austin, then Trufant in the second and picking up a FS or TE in the third. While the O-line could stand to be improved, a guard wouldn't be the big impact play-maker that would be the poster boy for the Lom-Banner-di era.

I agree with harry buffalo above, by the time preseason rolls around I think we will fill quite a few spots via the draft and roster cut down casualties from other teams. Still a lot of time left to make moves to upgrade our roster. This is just the point of the off season where the FO wants to be patient and not jump the gun when they really don't need to.

Semantics. We aren't getting three starters out of the 7 or so players we'll be adding in April.

I agree about this CB class being thin, which really adds to my disappointment. The CB FA market was decently strong and we failed to add anybody of merit. Meanwhile, this draft is riddled with LB talent, yet we address that weakness via FA. It just doesn't make sense.

There weren't many G's in FA that would have been a marked improvement, I fully expect us to draft one.

It just seemed like this was the perfect setup for us to fill every glaring weakness and we fumbled it all over our titties. We could have added a big CB via FA, address OLB either at 6 or traded back and then added it later in the first, and then address G or FS with our next pick. Now it seems we are forced to reach for a CB if we can't trade back or add yet another LB.

Watch us fuck everything up and trade UP to get Smith.

Haslam's clueless ass hiring Banner's hobbit ass, which in turn hired that dumbass Lombardi and letting Heckert walk was the beginning of the end. The the only thing they've done right is hiring Chud and Horton, for Chud brought Norv in an OC. I could have done with Banner's bean counting ways but Lombardi is sure to fuck this team as the dude is a second rate douchebag analyst.

i mean Asomugha got signed by less than what we'll have to pay millner (if that's what happenes).

no offer? do you really think banner and lombardi are better in player evaluation than harbaugh and his GM?

also, didn't atlanta just cut an OL that has started every game for them in the last 4 years? UH can we bring him in for a lool?

c'mon man!!!

Semantics. We aren't getting three starters out of the 7 or so players we'll be adding in April.

I agree about this CB class being thin, which really adds to my disappointment. The CB FA market was decently strong and we failed to add anybody of merit. Meanwhile, this draft is riddled with LB talent, yet we address that weakness via FA. It just doesn't make sense.

There weren't many G's in FA that would have been a marked improvement, I fully expect us to draft one.

It just seemed like this was the perfect setup for us to fill every glaring weakness and we fumbled it all over our titties. We could have added a big CB via FA, address OLB either at 6 or traded back and then added it later in the first, and then address G or FS with our next pick. Now it seems we are forced to reach for a CB if we can't trade back or add yet another LB.

Watch us fuck everything up and trade UP to get Smith.

What about OG Brandon Moore, currently of the Jets? Would he be an upgrade?

And there are still some "big name" CBs out there, like Quentin Jammer, Winfield etc. but the Browns do NOT obviously want someone over 30 apparently.

At Safety there is Quintin Mikell....but I don't know his age or if he is a FS or SS.

What about OG Brandon Moore, currently of the Jets? Would he be an upgrade?

And there are still some "big name" CBs out there, like Quentin Jammer, Winfield etc. but the Browns do NOT obviously want someone over 30 apparently.

At Safety there is Quintin Mikell....but I don't know his age or if he is a FS or SS.

I'm not worried about the name, I'm more concerned with recent production. Grimes would have been a great upgrade with high potential, yet we dropped the ball. Asomugha came for dirt cheap and it seems like we didnt even make an offer.

Momass was a good receiver, better than Robo. He ran good routes and caught the ball nicely. He just always took some of the nastiest hits I've seen a WR take. I'm not upset about him not staying and signing elsewhere, and I really like Mo a lot. He's a nice guy and a team player. It's just that we have players that can fill his spot and we don't lose a lot of upside in the process. I like Little and Gordon at WR. I think Mo would have been a good #2 Wr but Little fills that role.

You see, I don't mind when we release players that it makes sense to release.

Momass was a good receiver, better than Robo. He ran good routes and caught the ball nicely. He just always took some of the nastiest hits I've seen a WR take. I'm not upset about him not staying and signing elsewhere, and I really like Mo a lot. He's a nice guy and a team player. It's just that we have players that can fill his spot and we don't lose a lot of upside in the process. I like Little and Gordon at WR. I think Mo would have been a good #2 Wr but Little fills that role.

So you didn't mind the trade of McCoy. That's nice

Momass = epic fail. and what is up with Jacksonville they are like that guy that goes and Fucks your ex-girlfriendafter you break up with her because she's not that good in bed.

how would 'that guy' know that your girlfriend isn't that good in bed? do you tell your friends shit like that?

even if you break up with a chick she is still off limits to your friends.

on the man rule list for sure.

So ... we broke up with Momass because she was no good in bed and now Jacksonville is fucking her?

Didn't they take sloppy seconds on Norwood and Robiskie too?

Z

Considering where he was drafted- have to consider him an underperformer at best. That he was better than Robiski- who has to be considered a total bust isn't saying much. Couldn't stay healthy either. Too expensive to keep around as the #4 wr.

Still never know what he could have done in a healthy offense with good qb play

Didn't want to offend PG, but a lot of those hits MoMass took were attributable to lousy qb play. The best qbs can usually anticipate the defense, and avoid setting up their WRs to take kill shots.

Didn't want to offend PG, but a lot of those hits MoMass took were attributable to lousy qb play. The best qbs can usually anticipate the defense, and avoid setting up their WRs to take kill shots.

I was going to say the same thing but was trying to let the mccoy weeds talk die.

Archived