THE BROWNS BOARD

Lets honor Dante Lavelli

Earle

Great guy, awesome player, ol Gluefingers was the Larry Fitz of his day.

Graham to Lavelli was one of the great hook-ups of all time that doesn't garner enough attention when they make those lists. They were awesome and they won big time.

Dante, came down here to Naples and stayed at the home of one of my clients from Cleveland from time to time. I never met him, but when I was over at my client's house he told me and I was like "Wow, Dante Lavelli sat there." I am such a Browns geek.

Zombo

R.I.P To one of the greatest players in Browns Lore...My Father was a huge Dante Lavelli fan and comming from Italian heritage that was huge...Dante Lavelli was a class act...humble...and very vocal about Matters concerning the Browns....He will certainly be Missed by Us all!

Dante Lavelli was a great receiver & person. There were a few NFL Hall of Famers who ALWAYS made it to Canton for the Hall of Fame Parade.....Dante was one of those. He always embraced the fans & will be missed.

Mike

Dante Lavelli is the Gold Standard for WRs blocking downfield.

Look at him lay out this Ram in the NFL Championship as Otto Graham scrambles for yardage in the victory:

9faac3eef4c8e7c7b7efdd993abad154.jpg

Now that's laying out a defender ... and no face masks ... those dudes were tough hombres!

Zombo

Dante Lavelli is the Gold Standard for WRs blocking downfield.

Look at him lay out this Ram in the NFL Championship as Ott Graham scrambles for yardage in the victory:

9faac3eef4c8e7c7b7efdd993abad154.jpg

Now that's laying out a defender ... and no face masks ... those dudes were tough hombres!

Zombo

Not only did they not wear facemasks, but check out those shoes! Playing football in Chuck Taylors must have been painful as hell.

Not only did they not wear facemasks, but check out those shoes! Playing football in Chuck Taylors must have been painful as hell.

I think there is a story about that, if I'm not mistaken.

The field was frozen and Paul Brown had his players switch to sneakers, because cleats weren't digging into the frozen turf at all. The Rams wore cleats and the Browns were much faster in their tennies.

At least I believe that is how the legend goes.

Zombo

Sad news for one of my all-time favorites.

I was lucky enough to meet Dante several times through the years and he spoke to our HS football team a few times, as I played on the field that beared his name (Lavelli field in Hudson). Man, he was old-school in all the best ways. A true man that told it like it was.

He would talk of the prima-donnas in the league these days and tell what would happen to them on the field back in the day. Basically, the players policed themselves and the ref's often looked the other way.

I still believe after talking with Dante that most of the players today, although much bigger, faster and stronger, would have a very difficult time in playing back then. The rules were not only different, but how they were enforced was completely different as well.

My one regret is that I always wanted to purchase a retro Lavelli jersey from the team shop but when I finally decided to bite the bullet and shell out the cash for one of those puppies, they no longer had any in my size - and they don't plan on selling them again.

He's one of the few that I truly wish I could have seen play in person.

RIP Dante.

Guest ATENEARS
My one regret is that I always wanted to purchase a retro Lavelli jersey from the team shop but when I finally decided to bite the bullet and shell out the cash for one of those puppies, they no longer had any in my size - and they don't plan on selling them again.

That would be a cool Jersey. Hey, we sell custom Jersey at TheBrownsStore.com, but don't buy one right now. Sometime this off-season they will go on-sale for about a 1/3 of the going rate. Two off-season's ago I had a Clay Matthew Jersey made (before they went crazy and now offer them almost everywhere) and I also had a ATENEARS Jersey made, each for only $69.00/per.

I'll let you know, if I can remember.

That would be a cool Jersey. Hey, we sell custom Jersey at TheBrownsStore.com, but don't buy one right now. Sometime this off-season they will go on-sale for about a 1/3 of the going rate. Two off-season's ago I had a Clay Matthew Jersey made (before they went crazy and now offer them almost everywhere) and I also had a ATENEARS Jersey made, each for only $69.00/per.

I'll let you know, if I can remember.

Good stuff - let me know.

Thanks

Roach sent me that picture at top signed from Dante...........I will never forget how great Dante was......Nor can I thank Roach enough for sending my a signed caricature of one of the all time greats and one of my all time Favorites

Thanks Dante

Thanks Roach

Thanks Browns

and thanks Inpecta for linking me to this thread I missed

Glue Fingers was bitter as hell at Modell for moving. I remember reading interviews they did with him in his furniture store and he went off on Modell big time with hardcore anger and cursing.

I love watching the old games on classic, that's serious woodrow material. When I bring up the past greats to guys a lot of haters are quick to say we as fans can't like someone we've never seen play. I'm all over those choads, because I've watched every Browns title game in one shape or form and obviously you have to live in a cave to have never seen Jimmy Brown highlights.

I first got an appreciation for just how badass Otto was watching those full games along with Lavelli, Motley, Collins and others. Lavelli was a great player, and the last few years we've seen Groza, Graham, Lavelli and Motley all pass.

RIP Mr. Lavelli, you were a true blue Browns-Buckeye and local businessman.

We should tailgate at his wake or calling hours, seriously.

Roach sent me that picture at top signed from Dante...........I will never forget how great Dante was......Nor can I thank Roach enough for sending my a signed caricature of one of the all time greats and one of my all time Favorites

Thanks Dante

Thanks Roach

Thanks Browns

and thanks Inpecta for linking me to this thread I missed

Hey man, i'm glad that you have the poster proudly on display.

Roach, Thanks again and now it is even a bigger memory......just looked at it again signed and all, if you ever seen films Dante was one of the best ever.......Come vist this summer.....please and stay at my house or we can just meet again at Anna Maria's in DC.......I am sure that Angelo or his son will do us well

I would also like to thank my man Riffer albeit we usually go headlong.....burying that hatchet would work.....for one great tribute to Dante...........Riffer your stock goes way up with me with your tribute to Dante........wow a legend we will miss him

Go Browns we get to start over...........and that is a good thing

Archived