THE BROWNS BOARD

Clay Matthews Jr.

Mr. T

Dudes, Angus...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Clay Matthews

Height 6'-3" / Weight: 240

Position: LB-DE

Experience: 3V

4 1/2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles 56 tackles

PERSONAL: He's an international relations major at USC with a B average (3.06 GPA). He made the 2006 Pac-10 All-Academic second team. He comes from a football family. His father, Clay, was a 4-year (1974-77) letterman linebacker at USC who played on Troy's 1974 national championship team and earned All-American honors in 1977 (he went on to play with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996). His brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team. Another brother, Casey, is a sophomore linebacker at Oregon. His uncle, Bruce, was a 3-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the NFL's Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001. His grandfather, Clay Sr., was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. His cousin, Ashley Nick, is a senior on the USC women's soccer team (the 2007 NCAA champions).

since the children keep talking about a train wreck here ill start it over.

Guest Aloysius
Clay Matthews

Monday Practice Notes: Matthews strictly played linebacker today and did a good job. He's very aggressive and physical against the run or in pass coverage. He had a solid day overall and did a good job in all aspects.

Tuesday Practice Notes: He showed very good recognition and good sideline to sideline range. He is a physical player who likes to hit. Looked comfortable with what was asked of him assignment wise, and had a good practice.

Wednesday Practice Notes: Saw a few repetitions in pass rushing drills where he was able to get a nice bulrush on former Rebel Michael Oher. Fought off blocks well against the run and also in pass rush drills. Appears to enjoy contact and can be very disruptive to ball carriers if not blocked well.

NFL Network Path To The Draft just now praising Clay. Showed some highlights and MAN that guy looks aggressive. Oher is a man's man, and he bull-rushed him?!

Mean hands on the edge of the D-line goes a long way. I also like the attitude of a guy who's been told he doesn't have enough to cut it, only to see him dig in, work hard, and earn it.

Pete Carroll saying USC breeds great football players because the amount of talent forces you to compete to play.

C3 walked on at talent loaded USC, ended up starting, and is a projected 2nd round pick. Impressive.

I'll still take Matthews or Cushing over Rey Malaoooooooooooga.

You betcha! I want to package DA & our 5th pick in the 1st for a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd & the guy I really want is Clay M Jr, & yes, I would spend a mid to late 1st round pick to make sure I got him.

Mike

I would take Cushing, Matthews, or Sintim in the second. I would love to trade down if Curry isn't there, and pick up an extra second. We NEED RB, but if one of those three are there, you gotta take them.

BTW, Moala was the #1 ranked DT coming into this year, a lot of people had him the #1 ranked player. He must have had a down year.

from what i saw of veikune on wednesday, he looked really good. i didn't see anything previous to that day, but he looked to have good mobility and strength to go along with a good initial burst and closing speed. he was impressive.

oh ok. Phil traded away the 3rd and 5th.

Mayock is projecting Matthews to go in the later part of round 1. I was hoping we could steal him in round 2 as well.

HOW MANY freakin draft picks did Savage get rid of?

We didn't draft until round 4 last year and we're giving up 2 more rounds this year? Please tell me this wasn't in exchange for the 0 sacks we got from Corey Williams. Yuck!

- Tom F.

Archived