THE BROWNS BOARD

Clay Matthews Jr.

Mr. T

Clay Matthews

Height 6'-3" / Weight: 240

Position: LB-DE

Experience: 3V

4 1/2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles 56 tackles

PERSONAL: He's an international relations major at USC with a B average (3.06 GPA). He made the 2006 Pac-10 All-Academic second team. He comes from a football family. His father, Clay, was a 4-year (1974-77) letterman linebacker at USC who played on Troy's 1974 national championship team and earned All-American honors in 1977 (he went on to play with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and Atlanta Falcons from 1978 to 1996). His brother, Kyle, lettered at safety on USC's 2003 national championship team. Another brother, Casey, is a sophomore linebacker at Oregon. His uncle, Bruce, was a 3-year (1980-82) letterman offensive guard at USC who earned All-American honors in 1982 and then played with the NFL's Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans from 1983 to 2001. His grandfather, Clay Sr., was on the football, wrestling and swimming teams at Georgia Tech in the 1940s and then played in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s. His cousin, Ashley Nick, is a senior on the USC women's soccer team (the 2007 NCAA champions).

WHAT OTHERS SAY: USC head coach Pete Carroll: "Clay is really productive. He gives us great speed, and he has great savvy and instincts."

Guest Aloysius

Here's Todd McShay:

Cushing's teammate at USC, Clay Matthews, continues to be extremely impressive. He bends very well and always seems to be in proper football position. His change of direction is abrupt yet smooth. As an edge rusher, he did not lose speed bending the corner and got his shoulder low to the ground, making him very difficult to block. His pad level is consistently exceptional and he is an excellent hit-on-the-rise player who makes contact with the same leg and shoulder when taking on blocks. Matthews is very fundamentally sound but also very athletic. He would be an immediate demon on special teams while learning the linebacker position at the NFL level. At this point, it won't surprise us if the USC trio of Cushing, Matthews and Rey Maualuga are all off the board in the first 40 picks.

Curiously, he has Maualuga listed as one of his "Biggest Risers" - anyone with ESPN Insider care to share that part of the article?

Curiously, he has Maualuga listed as one of his "Biggest Risers" - anyone with ESPN Insider care to share that part of the article?

Here us the ESPN stuff (from Scouts/McShay) on Maualuga:

There is no question that the 260-pound Rey Maualuga has the size, burst, athletic ability and attitude NFL teams covet at middle linebacker, but there are concerns about his discipline.

He's shown a tendency to overrun running backs and bite on play action so it's important the he read his keys, fill the correct gaps and take sound pursuit angles this week.

Note: Grades are done on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the best.

58 Rey Maualuga USC ILB 6-3 250 4.62

Production He appeared in 12 games recording 37 tackles including 4.5 for loss in 2005. Maualuga started 22 of the 26 games he appeared in recording a total of 157 tackles including 15.5 for losses in 2006 and 2007. In 2008 he played in 12 games, recording a total of 79 tackles including 2.5 for loss and intercepting two passes, including one he retuned for a touchdown against Ohio State in the season opener.

GRADE: 2

Ht./Wt./Speed Displays an above-average combination of speed and size.

Durability Durability is not a substantial concern at this point. He sustained a hip pointer that led to him seeing limited time against Notre Dame in 2007 and missed the 2008 Oregon game with a knee injury, but nothing that has anyone too worried.

Character There have been off-the-field issues for Maualuga while at USC. He's dealt with them, but it's something scouts will check into.

GRADE: 4

PRACTICE NOTES

Monday (1/19/09): Monday's lighter session in shells was not the ideal setting for Maualuga, who shows good speed for his size, but is obviously not the most fluid athlete. His footwork looked great during position-specific drills but he appeared stiff in the hips when trying to match-up in man coverage. Maualuga was overaggressive at times. He overran the ball on one play during inside-run period and got caught out of a position on a misdirection run during team period. On the flipside, he displayed above-average closing burst and did a nice job of stepping up into the hole. All-in-all it was a solid all-around showing from one of the premier defensive talents in Mobile this week. Maualuga should shine when the intensity level is ratcheted up a couple of notches during full-pad practices the next two days.

Tuesday (1/20/09): Maualuga remains a man among boys at the Senior Bowl. His aggression, power and head-snapping take-on ability are very apparent, even under these circumstances where there is not an abundance of hitting. He is obviously at his best coming downhill and can be a freight train in that capacity, but he isn't as powerful or agile when moving in reverse. Being flanked by two exceptional outside linebackers at USC, Maualuga's ability to rush the passer off the edge was not always apparent but it stood out today. He obviously has the size to compete at the line of scrimmage and he displays a heavy bull rush to push the pocket. In addition, he showed a quick first step and the ability to blow past the blocker. It is far too early to consider him as a 3-4 outside linebacker prospect and he needs much more time to hone his pass rush, but it's something coaches and scouts can file away as yet another positive trait to consider in his overall evaluation.

It is just more of the same on him...an animal...but with a tendency to over-pursue and tight in the hips.

In a video on ESPN, McShay talks about all 3 guys. What he said about Matthews is VERY impressive.

Comments included:

Pads always in ideal position

Tackles on the rise with same leg/shoulder

Extremely fast

Good in coverage

Instinctive player

Learning edge rushing

To me, Clay is a gem in the rough...and he isn't even that rough.

In a video on ESPN, McShay talks about all 3 guys. What he said about Matthews is VERY impressive.

Comments included:

Pads always in ideal position

Tackles on the rise with same leg/shoulder

Extremely fast

Good in coverage

Instinctive player

Learning edge rushing

To me, Clay is a gem in the rough...and he isn't even that rough.

Plus, he's SMART...I want to trade DA & our 1st for a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd & I want Matthews. As someone else posted, "it's in his DNA"....I think he'll be a great LB. I just hope he does it as a Brown.

Mike

Guest Aloysius

You rock, John.

I really disagree with McShay about possibly considering Maualuaga at 3-4 OLB. Yesterday, Phil Savage called him a "pure inside linebacker."

Here's McShay talking about the USC linebackers:

IMO -

1. Curry

2. Matthews/Sintim

Would be a bad-ass 1st day in April.

I've never been on the Rey-wagon. A freakish athlete that cashed in that chip to make the squad/start for USC. Eternally bailed out by the other 10 freakishly good players on those defenses. Makes a nice highlight video, or bone-jarring hit occasionally, but not a good single game video.

Absolutely no football mind. In lacrosse, we tagged these guys as "big dummies" - good for one or two de-stick or de-cleating hits a game, but absurdly simple to beat with strategy & execution.

Pass on Rey. Would take Cushing or Matthews (obviously), in a heartbeat.

Guest Aloysius

Another SC guy we may be interested in is DT Fili Moala. He was a bit inconsistent this year, but he's got the potential to be an elite 3-4 DE.

The Ravens were paying a lot of attention to Moala yesterday. If he's available at the top of Round 2, we may consider taking him.

Another SC guy we may be interested in is DT Fili Moala. He was a bit inconsistent this year, but he's got the potential to be an elite 3-4 DE.

The Ravens were paying a lot of attention to Moala yesterday. If he's available at the top of Round 2, we may consider taking him.

I like that scenario too. He was around the ball a lot or occupying 2 o-linemen in that Clay Matthews video. Even disengaged/shed a blocker to get after a screen.

You rock, John.

I really disagree with McShay about possibly considering Maualuaga at 3-4 OLB. Yesterday, Phil Savage called him a "pure inside linebacker."

Here's McShay talking about the USC linebackers:

Sounds like USC has the top 3 LB's in this years draft.

To Bad Laurinaitis wont be playing in the senior bowl.

How in the world do you pass up C3 if he's there in the second round? I'm not sure you can.

The 2nd round is a reasonable place to draft him and he'd be a PR homerun. The jerseys would fly off the shelves. There was no #57 on the roster this year (or at least currently listed on the Browns site).

If he's there, get him.

Fun fact : Grandpa Clay Matthews was drafted in the 25th round. in 1949 by the Rams, but ended up playing for the Niners.

51-00848-F.jpg

Guest Aloysius
Problem I see with Rey as the freight train you speak of is that he's often on the wrong tracks.

Nice turn of phrase. Personally, I would've gone with this:

Archived