THE BROWNS BOARD

Decline of Music Education in America

PB&J

It has always bothered me that there is a distinct lack of music education in public schools. At my old high school there was a band program, but it was very poorly funded and very few students in it. It was also abused and looked at by most parents and faculty as the handmaiden of the athletic department. There simply is no meaningful musical education about playing musical instruments, learning about classical music or even the quintessential American music, Jazz.

If we aren't going to teach music in schools, why should we teach literature or history? Music is just as important to our culture as either of those two subjects. Orchestras around the country are struggling to make money because nobody wants to see classical music. It has a stigma around it because people don't understand it, or simply aren't exposed to it at all. I especially hate when a classical piece is used in a commercial and somebody will hear it and say "that is the music from comercial x!" ... no, it is Liszt, you Retard.

One of the absolutely most sublime moments of my life was at a performance of the Cincinnati symphony orchestra a few years ago. It was an all-Rachmaninoff concert, which is f*cking sweet, and the piece was the second symphony. After the third movement finished playing the audience was completely stunned and there was about 20 seconds of silence and the whole crowd started applauding, even though there were two more movements to play. Instead of putting his hand out to signal to stop applauding the conductor turned around to acknowledge what had just happened. He was crying. It was simply brilliant.

I like the idea of universal education, but public education bothers me especially when such important parts of our culture can be left out of the curriculum.

We do have to improve math education in our schools too. Luckily learning a musical instrument can help develop the same discipline and parts of the brain that is used for math. There is no reason we should have to focus all of educational resources to the "core" subjects.

A big step would to eliminate no child gets ahead.

Currently schools are teaching to the lowest common denominators to get funding for acceptable test scores. Just raise the bar, and expect more out of students and we will catch up to other countries. American schools are ridiculously easy compared to some European countries.

We do have to improve math education in our schools too. Luckily learning a musical instrument can help develop the same discipline and parts of the brain that is used for math. There is no reason we should have to focus all of educational resources to the "core" subjects.

A big step would to eliminate no child gets ahead.

Currently schools are teaching to the lowest common denominators to get funding for acceptable test scores. Just raise the bar, and expect more out of students and we will catch up to other countries. American schools are ridiculously easy compared to some European countries.

you are correct with your statements, we used to make it mandatory for our students to take choir or band, and it has been proven that those who have taken music classes have scored higher on their sat tests in math.

One of the biggest problems in todays schools we are to concerned with hurting some poor childs feelings, so those who are more intelligent are not pushed as hard or encouraged to learn more. Everyone is not equal.

you are correct with your statements, we used to make it mandatory for our students to take choir or band, and it has been proven that those who have taken music classes have scored higher on their sat tests in math.

One of the biggest problems in todays schools we are to concerned with hurting some poor childs feelings, so those who are more intelligent are not pushed as hard or encouraged to learn more. Everyone is not equal.

It is not so much that people are concerned with hurting the child's feelings, it is just the whole system in general is too easy. Do not teach to the lowest quality of students. Do not have a goal of just trying to get everyone to graduate. If you are going to allocate extra money anywhere, give it to the top kids. Push everybody.

My dad immigrated from Ireland and on that side of the family my cousins learned algebra in the equivalent of 5th or 6th grade. It isn't until 9th grade here. Expectations need to be raised.

As is often the case, it is a matter of degrees.

There are many strong correlations between musical expertise and intelligence. Between music and a strong work ethic - at least when it comes to the classroom.

In our town, we seem to overemphasize music to the detriment of Math, for example. Given the 'block scheduling' approach, it is not unusual for a student to have more music classes during the week than they do Math classes. Clearly, an imbalance.

Also, 6 music teachers in our Middle School.

Music, like other arts, are vitally important to a well rounded experience and appreciation.

Archived