THE BROWNS BOARD

Banner Says Browns Passed On Kelly

BadNewsBrowns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/21/joe-banner-chip-kelly-was-too-much-of-a-gamble/

Joe Banner: Chip Kelly was too much of a gamble

Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2013, 9:26 AM EST

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl - Oregon v Kansas State Getty Images

When Chip Kelly was introduced as head coach of the Eagles last week, he made a point of emphasizing that his decision about his coaching future came down to staying at Oregon or heading to Philadelphia.

He never mentioned the Browns as a team that was in strong consideration for his services even though they were the first team to speak to him about moving to the NFL. The Browns waited for a decisions from Kelly and then “rebooted” their coaching search while sending out signals that they walked away from Kelly because they sensed he was waffling about leaving the college ranks.

The Browns passed on comment when Kelly was hired last week, but they aren’t just sending out signals anymore. In an interview for Monday Morning Quarterback, Browns CEO Joe Banner, who spent some time accusing Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie of libelous talk last week, told Peter King that Kelly was too much of a roll of the dice.

“We removed ourselves from the process. We really liked Chip. He’s intriguing, a very different thinker, and very smart. But you could see he was uncertain what he wanted to do,” Banner said. “He may be in Philadelphia 10 years or longer and have a terrific career. But the fact he committed to Tampa Bay last year, backed out, then seemed all year to be leaning toward going to the NFL, then being so uncertain with us, we just felt it was too big a gamble. If there was no ambivalence, we may have offered him the job.”

There’s a gamble involved with every coaching hire, be it ambivalence in Kelly’s case or the lack of a head coaching track record in the case of Browns coach Rob Chudzinski. While we don’t doubt that the Browns were able to appreciate the obvious indecision on Kelly’s part when it came to leaving Oregon, things played out in a way that makes it hard to believe the Browns didn’t want him to be their coach earlier this month.

I believe it for one point and one point only. He interviewed for the Eagles and Browns. One night saying it was a sure thing for the Browns, the 3 days later it was a sure thing for the Eagles, and two days later announcing that he was returning to Oregon to which he spent 2 weeks before signing as the Eagles head coach. Last year he did the same thing with the Bucs. The guy can't make up his mind, he doesn't know what he wants to do, and he has cold feet. If a guy like Saben, who came in so sure he wanted to be in the NFL to only leave back for the college ranks two year later, then what do you think is going to happen to Kelly who is so damn uncertain that he has let 4 different teams, at different times, believe that he was going to be their head coach. I give him one bad season before we see the same sort of shit happening.

the word on the west coast is that this came down to who offered the most money. It wasn't about control of operations or scheme or personnel or city or any of that shit. After his NFL interviews Chippy came back to Nike U and told Phil Knight that he wanted to be the #1 highest paid coach in college football. Rich Uncle Phil said "no, but we'll put you in the top 5". So Chipster decided to take the NFL payday. simple as that. I believe the Browns wanted him for damn sure but them and the Bills just didn't offer as much $ as Philly did.

I believe it for one point and one point only. He interviewed for the Eagles and Browns. One night saying it was a sure thing for the Browns, the 3 days later it was a sure thing for the Eagles, and two days later announcing that he was returning to Oregon to which he spent 2 weeks before signing as the Eagles head coach. Last year he did the same thing with the Bucs. The guy can't make up his mind, he doesn't know what he wants to do, and he has cold feet. If a guy like Saben, who came in so sure he wanted to be in the NFL to only leave back for the college ranks two year later, then what do you think is going to happen to Kelly who is so damn uncertain that he has let 4 different teams, at different times, believe that he was going to be their head coach. I give him one bad season before we see the same sort of shit happening.

He will be just like Spurrier. Back in college in 2 years

“We removed ourselves from the process. We really liked Chip. He’s intriguing, a very different thinker, and very smart. But you could see he was uncertain what he wanted to do,” Banner said. “He may be in Philadelphia 10 years or longer and have a terrific career. But the fact he committed to Tampa Bay last year, backed out, then seemed all year to be leaning toward going to the NFL, then being so uncertain with us, we just felt it was too big a gamble. If there was no ambivalence, we may have offered him the job.”

This is boilerplate speak for any boss who just hired his #2 choice. If they were that concerned about Chip's commitment to Tampa last year they wouldn't have talked to him in the first place, and especially wouldn't have made such an effort to be the first NFL team to talk to him.

whether he did they did or whatever, it wasnt like he obviously wanted Philli because he announced he was returning to Oregon. So the initial visit with Philli wasnt a slam dunk. no matter what is reported or what comes out, the only thing that matters is what Chud does. If Clev wins then who cares , if they lose and Philli goes to SB then the inevitable will be Clev lost out big. But cant control any of that. I personally feely Chud is a better hire in that he can fit his system to talent he has whereas Kelly has to fit the players to his system

the word on the west coast is that this came down to who offered the most money. It wasn't about control of operations or scheme or personnel or city or any of that shit. After his NFL interviews Chippy came back to Nike U and told Phil Knight that he wanted to be the #1 highest paid coach in college football. Rich Uncle Phil said "no, but we'll put you in the top 5". So Chipster decided to take the NFL payday. simple as that. I believe the Browns wanted him for damn sure but them and the Bills just didn't offer as much $ as Philly did.

I believe that the Browns NEVER offered him the job....because they saw all the waffling.

After Pat Shurmur, I don't think Banner and Haslam wanted anything to do with another wishy-washy Head Coach, and I think they were seeing that with Kelly, so they backed off.

Good.

If anyone watched his Philly presser when the media asked him about him going back to college he came off as a total liar. He's just a weasel through and through.

I didn't want him here to begin with, glad we passed. I'll give him 3 years till he runs back to College ball.

I believe that the Browns NEVER offered him the job....because they saw all the waffling.

After Pat Shurmur, I don't think Banner and Haslam wanted anything to do with another wishy-washy Head Coach, and I think they were seeing that with Kelly, so they backed off.

Good.

Maybe, but if they thought he was too wishy washy then why'd they bust ass to Phoenix to be the first in line to meet with him?

either way, Chip's salary just went from 3.2 mil/yr to 6.5 mil/yr and looks a lot like he was leveraging whatever he could against everybody to get the most $$

Maybe, but if they thought he was too wishy washy then why'd they bust ass to Phoenix to be the first in line to meet with him?

Because they didn't learn that he was so wishy washy until AFTER the interview. That is, after all, sorta the purpose of doing an interview...to learn what a potential employee is going to be like.

either way, Chip's salary just went from 3.2 mil/yr to 6.5 mil/yr and looks a lot like he was leveraging whatever he could against everybody to get the most $$

Good for him. Having that cash won't necessarily mean he will not be wishy washy.

Good.

I agree. Haslam & Banner, no matter whether or not you like them, are both VERY successful. They didn't get there by hiring high level folks who wouldn't commit long term. I'm good with their actions...far different than we have seen in a LONG time.

Mike

I think it is sort of funny that my first post on this board is in response to a post by the famous Lumbergh, himself. Just consider me a refugee from the "other board."

I have to say that the above sounds about right. I do not believe that H&B gave up on Kelly because he was indecisive. As I recall, according to the reports at the time, H&B interviewed Kelly the first day for 7 hours and they were said to be "very close" to a deal. It was then announced that Kelly would interview with Philadelphia the next day, but that he had agreed to have dinner with H&B that evening--presumably to finalize an anticipated deal with H&B. But instead of keeping the dinner date with H&B, Kelly continued his interview with Philadelphia, interviewing with them for 9 hours and, presumably, allowed Philadelphia to wine and dine him at dinner that evening.

There were no further reports of which I am aware of Kelly meeting with H&B. So, after another day, H&B rebooted and flew home--reportedly due to Kelly's indecisiveness.

If anyone watched his Philly presser when the media asked him about him going back to college he came off as a total liar. He's just a weasel through and through.

I didn't want him here to begin with, glad we passed. I'll give him 3 years till he runs back to College ball.

Full agreement. I think we are much better off with Chud. But I am convinced more than ever that Kelly was the coach that Banner really wanted.

i'm all for the chud hire as well.

but to think haslam and banner weren't on their hands and knees passing kelly's cock between them in that interview, well you are blind and gullible.

see how fast they got on the plane to AZ? who else did they fly to with the speed of light to go look at?

i see where some people on here have to put a positive spin on everything the browns but C'MON MAN!!

1358778924[/url]' post='323851']

http://profootballta...ch-of-a-gamble/

Joe Banner: Chip Kelly was too much of a gamble

Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2013, 9:26 AM EST

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl - Oregon v Kansas State Getty Images

When Chip Kelly was introduced as head coach of the Eagles last week, he made a point of emphasizing that his decision about his coaching future came down to staying at Oregon or heading to Philadelphia.

He never mentioned the Browns as a team that was in strong consideration for his services even though they were the first team to speak to him about moving to the NFL. The Browns waited for a decisions from Kelly and then "rebooted" their coaching search while sending out signals that they walked away from Kelly because they sensed he was waffling about leaving the college ranks.

The Browns passed on comment when Kelly was hired last week, but they aren't just sending out signals anymore. In an interview for Monday Morning Quarterback, Browns CEO Joe Banner, who spent some time accusing Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie of libelous talk last week, told Peter King that Kelly was too much of a roll of the dice.

"We removed ourselves from the process. We really liked Chip. He's intriguing, a very different thinker, and very smart. But you could see he was uncertain what he wanted to do," Banner said. "He may be in Philadelphia 10 years or longer and have a terrific career. But the fact he committed to Tampa Bay last year, backed out, then seemed all year to be leaning toward going to the NFL, then being so uncertain with us, we just felt it was too big a gamble. If there was no ambivalence, we may have offered him the job."

There's a gamble involved with every coaching hire, be it ambivalence in Kelly's case or the lack of a head coaching track record in the case of Browns coach Rob Chudzinski. While we don't doubt that the Browns were able to appreciate the obvious indecision on Kelly's part when it came to leaving Oregon, things played out in a way that makes it hard to believe the Browns didn't want him to be their coach earlier this month.

I think it's bullshit. But who knows?? Also the latest reason as to why Kelly signed with. Philly was because it seems the NCAA is going hit Oregon with sanctions. Read below

http://www.bleacherr...ction-scenarios

I think it is sort of funny that my first post on this board is in response to a post by the famous Lumbergh, himself. Just consider me a refugee from the "other board."

I have to say that the above sounds about right. I do not believe that H&B gave up on Kelly because he was indecisive. As I recall, according to the reports at the time, H&B interviewed Kelly the first day for 7 hours and they were said to be "very close" to a deal. It was then announced that Kelly would interview with Philadelphia the next day, but that he had agreed to have dinner with H&B that evening--presumably to finalize an anticipated deal with H&B. But instead of keeping the dinner date with H&B, Kelly continued his interview with Philadelphia, interviewing with them for 9 hours and, presumably, allowed Philadelphia to wine and dine him at dinner that evening.

There were no further reports of which I am aware of Kelly meeting with H&B. So, after another day, H&B rebooted and flew home--reportedly due to Kelly's indecisiveness.

Well, here, even your version of the story supports the fact that after dealing with him in the interview and in the aftermath Banner and Haslam decided that this WASN'T their guy. Indecisive, waffling, wishy, washy.

Not what they wanted out of the guy that was to lead their team.

LIke I said, the interview process is designed to determine if you want to make a hire. They did their interview and decided NYET.

Welcome, ODC!

Kelly is a very bright guy, but he comes with so many questions, that I think an NFL coordinator like Chud is the much more solid choice.

It'll be interesting to see where all of these teams stand three years from now.

Zombo

It's strange, maybe it's the homer in me but as of right now I can honestly say I'm more excited with Chud than I would be with Kelly.

I was a little iffy with Kelly, but at the time I would have been happy if we'd hired him - Chud wasn't even on my radar.

But in retrospect now that Chud is our coach along with this staff I think it was 100% the right choice over Kelly.

It's strange, maybe it's the homer in me but as of right now I can honestly say I'm more excited with Chud than I would be with Kelly.

I was a little iffy with Kelly, but at the time I would have been happy if we'd hired him - Chud wasn't even on my radar.

But in retrospect now that Chud is our coach along with this staff I think it was 100% the right choice over Kelly.

I don't think it is strange at all. Kelly would have been a disaster for us. How can you not be more excited with Chud?

Archived