THE BROWNS BOARD

I Love Uniform Talk

tampadawgs

According to lore a brownie isn't an elf. It's a helpful house spirit akin to a hobgobllin which sounds, of course, much tougher. Also according to lore the sure way to get rid of a brownie is to present it with a new set of clothes which, I guess, offends it.

Dobby the House Elf?

Uni changes - I'm all for them. Logo on helmet - no way. However, changing the helmet color to a bright metallic copper-orange (PMS 243 for the Toxic one) would look cool. I like the idea of a patch featuring an aggressive-looking brownie on the jersey too. Orange pants - sure, whatever.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland.com started another article the other day about the Uniforms, so its always going to come up into conversation until it actually changes, so Z, I'm afraid you'll just have to give in to your love for Uniform threads cropping up for another year or two :P Though I did think one of the Logo ideas looked good for the Elf.

scott-haury-logo-2jpg-e4cc794ca8e10485_zpsdc3b0787.jpg

Dawson: "I look at a lot of pictures of Browns history and I see all kinds of different uniforms. So why is it now the actual ones we're wearing we can't change? I don't get it. I've seen brown on orange. I've seen white on orange. The one constant is the helmet, but way, way back they wore white. There have been changes to the uniform throughout Browns history.

"You can probably make a pretty good argument that this city fought so hard to keep its colors when the team left and came back, that some of that (tradition) sentiment is a product of that. So obviously it's going to be a delicate situation. And I'm certainly not going to be upset if no change is made. (But) guys grumble a little bit. The years we wore throwbacks, there was very little change (to what we wear now)."

All you Old timers Take that with your tradition!!!!!!! Stop Crying because the Uniform has changes thru out Browns History...Heres More....

John Hughes: "Change is always good. I guess the Browns have been very traditional since they've been here. But it would be cool to have new jerseys. It would be a change."

Joe Haden: "I'm all for it. I'm a fashion dude, so anything that could bring another spark would be really sweet. Whatever Haslam wants to do, I'm gonna ride with it. I just think it would be sweet to have new jerseys. Just something different because I think we're growing something new here. We have a lot of young players, lot of new faces. It would be something. It would be nice.

"You look good, you feel good, you play good. So I think new jerseys would be so sweet. Everybody's definitely down for it. Because we talk about it all the time. The Seahawks jerseys are so 'sick.' The 49ers jerseys. That would be 'sick' if we had something else."

Ward: "I'm all for it. I don't think we should change it completely, but I think a few alterations would be cool. You've got to change some things up. I know a lot of people are big on tradition here and keeping it the same. But I think maybe a new look would freshen a lot of things up."

Gordon: "As much as you can do with brown and orange, I'm sure you can always use a little upgrade. You definitely do (feel energy from new uniforms). That's how colleges recruit. They get a lot of young guys because of their uniforms.

"If they did (change), I'd be all for it. The all whites get a little dirty, a little dingy. I think it's the best combo that we have. If we did get a new design, I'd be happy to vote for it. You look good, you feel good, you play good. That would be another attraction to come watch the game."

Joe Thomas: "I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I don't know what they'd change it to. It's been brown forever. I'd be open to seeing what it looks like. It's hard to say what my opinion is without seeing what they'd change it to."

Josh Cribbs: "Oh, definitely. I say that from the rooftop. I hate the same old things. It's no fun at all. It's tradition, of what? We're a different team. We should have different uniforms, or at least different variety. It would spark us, make us feel more amped. Marketing. Makes people buy the jerseys and want to root for your team. I'll believe it when it happens. Any change is good for this program."

how bout focusing on the dumbest thing ever the dawg pound and dumping it..........when it was always winning and based on offense and now lostin since that dumbass thought ever became our stupid losing mantra

Something like this? It's just a rough sketch, but with shadowing and cleaner lines it could be pretty cool.

I dig the idea of a badass hulkish type elf, maybe have the clothes ripped like they are on the "HULK", kinda like bustin out of his clothes

i love the lines in whoever's logo design of the 'agrressive brownie', clean vector work done in illsustrator (i'm thinking) anyways......

but can i be quite blunt? if you are anywhere outside of cleveland and talking to someone not knowing the history of the browns and they ask you what the elf/grinch/leprachaun looking thing is and you say a 'brownie'? uhh. yeah

i'm just going to take a piss (hint, while you grab your keys cellphone and any money left on the bar.... so gretchen the toothless bar keep can't smoke it into her head later) and dive out the back door peeling out of the rock filled parking lot and flat lining that mother fucker until you can't see the lights of 'the old stag and hag' bar anymore.

see ya mississippi!

The History of the Brownie Elf

The story of Brownie the Elf the logo begins long before the Cleveland Browns adopted the little creature — long before the team even existed, in fact. "Brownies" date back to folklore, where they were elf-like creatures who helped out with household chores as long as you left them little goodies to eat (further background is available here, here, and here, and the cover illustration from a children's tale entitled "Brownie and the Cook" can be seen here). Palmer Cox was one of the first artists to illustrate Brownie on a consistent basis in his cartoons. He began drawing and using the elves in advertising work that he produced for different companies, including Kodak.

All of which brings us, finally, to the Cleveland Browns.

The association of the elf and the gridiron Browns begins in the late 1940s with Arthur McBride, who was the team's owner at the time. During a string of four incredibly successful seasons from 1946-49 (each of which resulted in an All American Football Conference championship), McBride sought to make his team more recognizable and marketable with music, parades, marching bands, and so on. He also asked for submissions for mascot logos, and after careful consideration chose Brownie as the new face of the team.

Brownie got an update around 1950 and looked like this until 1969. Alternate logos included an orange elf from 1950-69, and a halfback elf from 1960-69. After the Browns won the NFL title in 1964 (yes, it was that long ago, Cleveland fans), Brownie was often depicted with a crown signifying the team's achievement.

Even representatives from the Cleveland Browns are befuddled as to the exact origin, date, and key figures in the creation of the logo (which made its first appearance in an ad for tickets to the 1946 opening game against the Miami Seahawks). However, many of the earliest versions of the elf are credited to Dick Dugan, who became the sports cartoonist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and often depicted Brownie in battle against the team's opponents, like the Broncos.

Cleveland fans loved the athletically inclined little creature with pointed shoes, whose image could be seen adorning various publications and advertisements (from both the team and the public), such as in this 1949 Media Guide.

So, what do you do with a logo that the fans love?

Well, if you're Art Modell, you get rid of it. Apparently, Modell, who became the team's owner in 1961, was completely embarrassed by the elf and hated it so much that in the mid-1960s he began to phase it out. Yes, in addition to taking the team from Cleveland, Modell also was responsible for putting the lovable Brownie on the unemployment line.

Thankfully, when the Browns were resurrected in 1999, Brownie got a new lease on life. New owner Randy Lerner has made a big push to use the elf logo more and more for the organization. "I think it's a great anchor for our tradition and for the look and feel of the Browns," he has said. "But I also understand that there is something to freshening up the act, so I think that's a balancing act we're having right now."

As you can see from the team's sideline ponchos, the organization is using Brownie in more ways than just for merchandise sales (although it's clearly evident from the hats and shirts and fleeces that there is a definite push in that direction too). In fact, the Browns have used the elf logo on the 2006 Training Camp Patch celebrating the franchise's 60th anniversary, and a throwback elf logo appears on the front of their 2006 Media Guide (here's a close-up view). Fans have embraced Brownie, too — one guy has gotten permanent reminder of his allegiances.

While Brownie's revival is welcome news, there's one place that the elf should never appear, on the helmet (and thankfully, Lerner agrees). Paul Brown actually proposed this idea in 1953, but dismissed the idea after seeing mock-ups created by then trainer Leo Murphy. Good thing too, because the only thing that should ever be added to the team's helmets are uniform numbers, like the ones the team wore with for a throwback game against the Bengals.

We're generally pleased with Brownie's reappearance. It adds a great traditional aspect to the team's imagery, which meshes nicely with the more recent addition of the "Dawg" logo (but please, let's not have them mesh like this, ideas that belong in the same graveyard as this one).

Three other Brownie items of note:

• Brownie was also pressed into mascot duty by the St. Louis Browns baseball team just prior to their move to Baltimore (where they became the Orioles). During this brief run, Brownie appeared on the team's jersey sleeve , on the cover of the team's 1952 schedule, and even on the door to owner Bill Veeck's office.

• "Elf Brownie" is also the name of a typeface.

The story of Brownie the Elf the logo begins long before the Cleveland Browns adopted the little creature — long before the team even existed, in fact. "Brownies" date back to folklore, where they were elf-like creatures who helped out with household chores as long as you left them little goodies to eat (further background is available here, here, and here, and the cover illustration from a children's tale entitled "Brownie and the Cook" can be seen here). Palmer Cox was one of the first artists to illustrate Brownie on a consistent basis in his cartoons. He began drawing and using the elves in advertising work that he produced for different companies, including Kodak.

so maybe we should put June Cleaver or Hazel on the helmet??????????????????????

Leave the helmet alone and remake the shirts and pants.

yeah exactly. why make this a drawn out conv? when all i really want to know is who is the person that re'did' the 'brownie'? some talent there.

might wanna talk freelance graphic JOBZ.

It is a very good job. I've been trying to recreate it all night.

yeah exactly. why make this a drawn out conv? when all i really want to know is who is the person that re'did' the 'brownie'? some talent there.

might wanna talk freelance graphic JOBZ.

His name is Scott Haury, a Browns fan working as Graphic Designer down in AZ. Link below to the Cleveland.com article about the Uniform designs along with his rendering of new uniforms.

Cleveand.com Uni Article

scott-haury-uniformsjpg-0479424f9cf44959_zpscb0687bb.jpg

The white ones look sharp, but the Brown ones look terrible with the white pants. They would have to have Brown pants to make that look alright.

Just sayn' the brown pants were tried once, and they were an unmitigated fashion disaster. Really, some of those modified looks weren't too bad, but I doubt there's going to be a radical makeover.

I'm 100% behind bringing back the Elf in some form- update him if you like.

Just sayn' the brown pants were tried once, and they were an unmitigated fashion disaster. Really, some of those modified looks weren't too bad, but I doubt there's going to be a radical makeover.

I'm 100% behind bringing back the Elf in some form- update him if you like.

Screw the Elf! That thing needs erased from Browns history, no matter how cool you try and make him look, its lame. Bring on the Dawgs!

Dawson: "I look at a lot of pictures of Browns history and I see all kinds of different uniforms. So why is it now the actual ones we're wearing we can't change? I don't get it. I've seen brown on orange. I've seen white on orange. The one constant is the helmet, but way, way back they wore white. There have been changes to the uniform throughout Browns history.

"You can probably make a pretty good argument that this city fought so hard to keep its colors when the team left and came back, that some of that (tradition) sentiment is a product of that. So obviously it's going to be a delicate situation. And I'm certainly not going to be upset if no change is made. (But) guys grumble a little bit. The years we wore throwbacks, there was very little change (to what we wear now)."

All you Old timers Take that with your tradition!!!!!!! Stop Crying because the Uniform has changes thru out Browns History...Heres More....

John Hughes: "Change is always good. I guess the Browns have been very traditional since they've been here. But it would be cool to have new jerseys. It would be a change."

Joe Haden: "I'm all for it. I'm a fashion dude, so anything that could bring another spark would be really sweet. Whatever Haslam wants to do, I'm gonna ride with it. I just think it would be sweet to have new jerseys. Just something different because I think we're growing something new here. We have a lot of young players, lot of new faces. It would be something. It would be nice.

"You look good, you feel good, you play good. So I think new jerseys would be so sweet. Everybody's definitely down for it. Because we talk about it all the time. The Seahawks jerseys are so 'sick.' The 49ers jerseys. That would be 'sick' if we had something else."

Ward: "I'm all for it. I don't think we should change it completely, but I think a few alterations would be cool. You've got to change some things up. I know a lot of people are big on tradition here and keeping it the same. But I think maybe a new look would freshen a lot of things up."

Gordon: "As much as you can do with brown and orange, I'm sure you can always use a little upgrade. You definitely do (feel energy from new uniforms). That's how colleges recruit. They get a lot of young guys because of their uniforms.

"If they did (change), I'd be all for it. The all whites get a little dirty, a little dingy. I think it's the best combo that we have. If we did get a new design, I'd be happy to vote for it. You look good, you feel good, you play good. That would be another attraction to come watch the game."

Joe Thomas: "I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I don't know what they'd change it to. It's been brown forever. I'd be open to seeing what it looks like. It's hard to say what my opinion is without seeing what they'd change it to."

Josh Cribbs: "Oh, definitely. I say that from the rooftop. I hate the same old things. It's no fun at all. It's tradition, of what? We're a different team. We should have different uniforms, or at least different variety. It would spark us, make us feel more amped. Marketing. Makes people buy the jerseys and want to root for your team. I'll believe it when it happens. Any change is good for this program."

change the colors to Pink and Purple ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pink for being pussies and purple for being bruised

The smartest thing the Browns can do is shit can the DAWG POUND which has no history but losing and bring back the BROWNIE elf which has no history but WINNING,,,,,,,,,,,,get that done and then discuss something to change or stay stupid with the dawg pound and drowned in Lake Erie Elf,,,,,,,,,,,,simple elegant and correct except for te brain dead

baltogs-380.jpgA lot of what I have seen here are not bad. I could live with them.

However, on the subject of uniforms, but I am sorry, those "leotard" that the Ravens wear are terribly gauche. Those pants really look more apt for Swan Lake than NFL football.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a ballet at times.

I mean, they need a stripe or something. And why do they always have to wear black pants. I should think an all white uniform would be better looking.

When you are focused on Uniformed but forget legacy LIKE LOSER DAWG POUND and WINNER BROWNIE,,,,,,,,,,,,,yu are destined to lose because all wining and losing is forgotten for some dumb ass uniform

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaguars are not yet in a place where they can do much to change their roster.

Today in a state-of-the-team type of address, they unveiled a new logo and spoke of themes, ticket process and scoreboard concepts.

It’s part of a repackaging for the franchise, which has a long climb up from 2-14 in 2012.

Regarding the logo, team president Mark Lamping said the team sought something more lifelike and fierce that would retain the teal accents in place since the beginning. A secondary mark is in the shape of a military style badge that incorporates the logo and the shortened Jags’ nickname. ESPN.com's Uni Watch likes the new logos.

The biggest thing to come out of the news conference in my eyes was the start of a discussion about local revenue. Lamping said the team has fallen from No. 2 in the NFL in 1995 to 29th in 2011 in total local revenue.

“We need to fix this,” Lamping said. “If we do not, we threaten the financial stability of the franchise.”

Here are three big revenue generators they believe can help reverse the trend:

New seats. EverBank Field will be revamped to include upper level loge boxes and field seats. Lamping said next year, and I interpreted that as meaning 2014 though I'm not yet certain.

Giant upgrades to the scoreboards that would give the team the biggest boards in the NFL, turning EverBank Field into more of a destination. “It will finally give us something where we are the best,” Lamping said. The financing for these and the timing of installation were not made clear.

A full-time salesperson in London, where the team will play a home game for the next four seasons that will create an opportunity to sell and share sponsorship money in the United Kingdom.

As for ticket prices in the coming season: Eighty percent will remain flat, 17 percent will increase and three percent will decrease.

The team is emphasizing three words -- proud, bold, committed -- as part of an overall theme: Stand United.

Owner Shad Khan said the team now has an “ideal franchise model.”

GM David Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley spoke briefly at the end of the news conference.

Team-building and winning will trump any logo, slogan or enormous scoreboard.

Caldwell and Bradley are the guys to take care of those two departments. Although they can evaluate now, they are a while away from being able to make the moves that will contribute to that.

nfl_jaglogo_gb1_600.jpg

For the first time, I envy the Jacksonville Jaguars. I've always followed them, as their colors very closely match the colors of my alma mater (if I ever apply for graduation) and I've always thought they were squandering a great thing there.

Their stadium is right on the water and is relatively new. They have fantastic weather and are located in a high school football pipeline state. Wayne Weaver honestly just didn't know what in the fuck he was doing. It looks like Shad Khan does.

The Jaguars are in prime position to do what the Seahawks did a year ago, and Haslam needs to be taking notes. His focus needs to be on revamping the team both on and off the field. It's time to appeal to a new generation, while still keeping our loyal fanbase. We have to completely re-imagine everything there is in relation to the Cleveland Browns. Shad Khan is on the right track with his off-the-field checklist. I hope this is what we intend on doing as well.

For the first time, I envy the Jacksonville Jaguars. I've always followed them, as their colors very closely match the colors of my alma mater (if I ever apply for graduation) and I've always thought they were squandering a great thing there.

Their stadium is right on the water and is relatively new. They have fantastic weather and are located in a high school football pipeline state. Wayne Weaver honestly just didn't know what in the fuck he was doing. It looks like Shad Khan does.

The Jaguars are in prime position to do what the Seahawks did a year ago, and Haslam needs to be taking notes. His focus needs to be on revamping the team both on and off the field. It's time to appeal to a new generation, while still keeping our loyal fanbase. We have to completely re-imagine everything there is in relation to the Cleveland Browns. Shad Khan is on the right track with his off-the-field checklist. I hope this is what we intend on doing as well.

He's just getting ready to move to LA.

I guess I can see why this was moved to the uniform thread but I was looking more towards conversation on the other aspects of Khan's rebuild, such as upgrading the scoreboard and stadium, harnessing a central theme, and trying to delve into relatively untapped overseas market. That's why I didn't put it in the uniform thread.

I guess I should have been more clear.

What school is that?

Their stadium is right on the water and is relatively new.

Uhh, no. That stadium is the old, but renovated Gator Bowl. It may have originally been built in the 40s or 50s.

(But, fyi, what they did to that stadium WAS the original plan for Cleveland Muni....the plan that Modell originally came up with himself but then rejected after he got the 75 million dollar bribe from Baltimore)

They have fantastic weather and are located in a high school football pipeline state. Wayne Weaver honestly just didn't know what in the fuck he was doing. It looks like Shad Khan does.

I still think you need to check their lease situation because I believe the term of it is over soon. Yes, perhaps if they can get the financing to do a number of those things...and get more revenue then they will stay. Otherwise, yes, a potential move to LA may be in order.

Most of the Gator Bowl was destroyed, except for the parts they had renovated 10 years prior to building Jacksonville Muni. It still took them 2 years to destroy most of the original and outdated Gator Bowl and then erect what is now known as Everbank Field. The only parts of the Gator Bowl that are still intact are essentially the outside areas, like the pedestrian ramps. Essentially, they gutted an old watermelon rind and filled it with new fruit.

Jacksonville's lease is up in 2030. The only reason they're included in the relocation talk is because they've been having trouble filling seats. It's not because their lease is up. If they did move, they would have to pay off the city nearly $100 million up front, and then $1 million in parking and ticket surcharges for every year that was left on the lease.

Archived