THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear lord do we need a #2 db. If Millner does not fall to us, I would say trade back 4-6 spots and get Rhodes.

One other thing. How come when we have a shitty to semi shitty season we always miss out on Elite talent, Ala Patrick Petterson, A.J. Gren, fucking Andrew Luck.

Here are some guys who we brought in for visits, and where they could be drafted:

Round 1 - Dee Milliner CB - Ala

Round 3 - D.J. Swearinger S - SoCar

Round 4 - Nick Kasa TE - Col

Round 5 - Brian Winters OG - KSU

Round 5 - A.J. Klein ILB - IowaSt

Round 6 - Landry Jones QB - Okl

Round 7 - Anthony Capasso - WR - Ashland

Just a possibility. Would bring in 2 starters to shore up D-secondary. Winters could compete at OG. Kasa could be a solid TE b/c of his size and athleticism.

Here are some guys who we brought in for visits, and where they could be drafted:

Round 1 - Dee Milliner CB - Ala

Round 3 - D.J. Swearinger S - SoCar

Round 4 - Nick Kasa TE - Col

Round 5 - Brian Winters OG - KSU

Round 5 - A.J. Klein ILB - IowaSt

Round 6 - Landry Jones QB - Okl

Round 7 - Anthony Capasso - WR - Ashland

Just a possibility. Would bring in 2 starters to shore up D-secondary. Winters could compete at OG. Kasa could be a solid TE b/c of his size and athleticism.

That's pretty good stuff.

Zombo

Jarvis Jones is the best OLB in the draft, but Jordan will probably get drafted ahead of him.

The CB class sucks this year when compared to last year's class, or the year before, or.. pretty much every other year. The fourth CB in last year's class, Janoris Jenkins at STL, is better than Milliner. Slay is at best 7th in this class.. and is a passable 3rd CB but not a starter.. so because we already have 2 third CB's, either we take Milliner or just play only one CB this year. Note that the safety class this year is one of the best in recent memory - so if we can get Georgia's Rambo with our third-round pick we'd be doing well.. he's by far the best ballhawk and can hit if needed, he was set off the LOS this past year. He didn't lead the nation in INT only because he was suspended for the first 4 games.

Zombo

Ya, did a little more research and Winters looks to be projected as more of a 2nd to 3rd round pick, as well as Landry Jones. So, I'd bump Klein into our 1st 5th round pick, and the rest is all BPA as it really doesn't matter after that point anyway. And, Capasso isn't even on the radar according to most websites, but he is the only WR the Browns have talked to other than Tavon Austin. But, at least it looks like we're looking at guys that make sense to fill needs despite lacking a 2nd round pick.

Zombo

Here is a comprehensive list of visits per Walter Football:

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PRI)

Anthony Capasso, WR, Ashland (PRO)

Jonathan Cooper, OL, North Carolina (PRI)

Jonathan Cyprien, DB, Florida International (PRI)

Josh Hill, TE, Idaho State (EW)

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma (COM)

Datone Jones, DL, UCLA (PRI)

Dion Jordan, DL, Oregon (PRI)

Don Jones, DB, Arkansas State (PRI)

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia (COM)

Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma (PRO)

Dion Jordan, DL, Oregon (PRI)

Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado (SR)

A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State (EW)

E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State (PRI)

Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU (PRI)

Dee Milliner, DB, Alabama (PRI)

Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse (PRI)

Will Pericak, DL, Colorado (EW)

Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri (PRI)

Logan Ryan, DB, Rutgers (PRI)

Matt Scott, QB, Arizona (PRI)

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia (PRI)

Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma (PRI)

D.J. Swearinger, DB, South Carolina (PRI)

Carson Tinker, LS, Alabama (SR)

Cornelius Washington, DL, Georgia (SR)

Larry Warford, OL, Kentucky (PRI)

Earl Watford, OL, James Madison (EW)

Brian Winters, G, Kent State (COM)

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.

EW - East-West Shrine meeting.

COM - Combine meeting.

INT - Interested.

VINT - Very Interested.

PRO - Pro Day meeting.

PRI - Private Workout.

% - indicates more than one meeting.

# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2013 Senior Bowl or the 2013 East-West Shrine Game

Browns Prospect Visits

I fully expect our first rounder to be on there as teams almost always visit their first round choice. For example, last year the Browns met with Richardson, Weeden, JMJ, and Schwartz.

Mel Kiper had a conference call where he stated that "Bacarri Rambo, Duke Williams, Don Jones, Earl Wolff and Rontez Miles among expected mid round targets of Browns. Kiper expected a run on Safetys in the 2nd round, as this years class isn't as deep as expected.

On the other hand, the depth for corners is much greater per Kipe, with B.W. Webb, Darius Slay, Johnny Adams, and Tyrann Mathieu as targets for round 3 or 4.

and here's some Logan Ryan from Rutgers highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16xhNN8mqQ

Tj ward 5'10 210

Mathieu 5'9 185

Ward is our hard hitter. Just need mathieu to get after the ball. could put on 10 pounds he'll be fine.

Being smaller and quicker than many of the bigger guys would enable him to hide from the QB better. Plus, the advantage in momentum would be extremely noticable, he would be able to make cuts on a dime compared the big guys, he would just fly right by them once he gets the ball in his hands.

if we somehow (miraculously) get an offer to trade down it depends on who's there at the spot we trade down to. ansah jordan jones millner mingo likely will all be gone so if the FO is smart they would pick warmack. the drop off between the talent of top ten to top 20 ish is marginal but it's really about position of need.

we picked a lot of LBs in FA but didn't address the defensive backfield. we will have to do so in the draft.

it would also be nice to solidify the right side of the line while mack and thomas can still play.

6) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

- Milliner is the only pick here unless the Browns trade down. The reason is that they can get a pass rushing OLB in the top of the third. Milliner would step in, and while he would struggle to transition from his college scheme, he would still be an immediate upgrade with excellent potential. A willing player in the run and a guy who has a knack for deflections. Milliner truly does project as a player similar to Haden.

68) Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss

- The Browns pick up a big and athletic linebacker here. He tested exceptionally well in explosion tests (1.58 10-Yard, 41.5" Vertical, 11'7" Broad) and has production to back it up (16.5 sacks, 39.5 TFL in the past two seasons). He could rotate with Sheard and Kruger to form an excellent combination.

104) Josh Evans, FS, Florida

- I believe Evans will go higher than expected. He was overshadowed by his highly touted teammate Matt Elam. The Browns grab him to become a true FS, which this draft does not have a lot of. He would immediately challenge for the starting spot opposite of Ward. His athleticism would be a nice addition to the FS spot and his potential to cover deep would allow Ward to read and react.

139) Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

- The Browns have a visit planned for Stills, and I can see him being drafted for slot duties. He showed off his speed at the combine and had decent production. Gordon, Little, Stills, and Benjamin would provide Weeden with a lot of speed (both quickness and deep field) on the field.

157) J.C. Tretter, G, Cornell

- An athletic guard who would be great for development. He would need to add strength, but in a year or two, he could step between Thomas and Mack to form an excellent left side. A pure project pick.

173) Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State

- Browns fans have been spoiled with consistency by having Dawson for the past decade. Hopkins is the top kicker in the draft and conceivable could be around for the next ten years.

227) Marqueis Gray, QB/H-Back/TE, Minnesota

- Now this could go a variety of different ways. Gray never had a good supporting cast around him at Minnesota, nor was he ever truly healthy. He could be a developmental QB, who could potentially be a backup. He at least has some tools as a QB, or they could move him to H-Back/TE (better idea) and have him become a project. The Browns could immediately show Gray tape of how Michael Robinson welcomed the transformation from QB to FB. Stash him on the practice squad for a year and see what happens.

Looking through that list of players who have visited its interesting that neither Rhodes nor Warmack are on it. If they were looking to trade back you would think both those players would in the frame for a mid round pick.

Maybe they have decided to pick 6 or just haven't had any offers they like so will take whats there from Jordan, Ansah or Miliner.

I would like to know how come Damontre Moore fell out of most 1st round rankings? He was a top 5 pick after the Bowl season.

I was wondering the same thing. He has flat out dropped out of sight. Does anyone know what happened?

Mike

He tested horribly at the combine and then barely made any improvement at his Pro Day. The combine problem is forgivable, but to forego/or barely make an improvement in tests during your pro day is a red flag. Even if he went out and ran a 4.88 at his pro day compared to his 4.95 combine time, that would have been great, but he just chose not to run. He claimed a pull hamstring. He did improve his 12 reps (awful) to 19 reps(mediocre). He is dropping, but I don't believe he should drop out of the top 40 picks.

He tested horribly at the combine and then barely made any improvement at his Pro Day. The combine problem is forgivable, but to forego/or barely make an improvement in tests during your pro day is a red flag. Even if he went out and ran a 4.88 at his pro day compared to his 4.95 combine time, that would have been great, but he just chose not to run. He claimed a pull hamstring. He did improve his 12 reps (awful) to 19 reps(mediocre). He is dropping, but I don't believe he should drop out of the top 40 picks.

Looks good on tape

Mock w/ Trade:

Trade #6 & #104 to San Diego for #11 and #45

#11 - Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georiga

#45 - Kyle Long - OG/T - Oregon

#68 - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers

#139 - Nick Kasa - TE - Colorado

#171 - Josh Evans - S - Florida

#180 - A.J. Klein - ILB - Iowa St

#234 - Washaun Ealey - RB - Jacksonville St

I have seen a few different mock drafts on walterfootball.com and I have seen a trade that would make sense for us. Its the Chargers trading from 11 to 6, reason being is that they need a stud LT, and one will not fall to them at 11. With this trade we will still have some great options at CB and LB, and get a pretty reasonable 2nd round pick selection spot. However I still believe that if Dee is still there at 6 then we will take him, and get our FS in the 3rd.

I'm wondering - if Milliner is there at 6, what are the chances of him still being there at 11 if we trade down? Is one of Bills, Cards, Jets and Titans going to take him? Big gamble, but if he's gone we could still pick up rhodes at 11, or if we don't value him that highly banks in the second round.

I'm wondering - if Milliner is there at 6, what are the chances of him still being there at 11

I don't think Milliner will get past the Jets at 9.. they're trading some dude named Revis. If the Jets take Lotulelei, the Titans at 10 have stated on record they're 100% taking Milliner if he drops. I would not trade back -- the difference in skill between Milliner and Rhodes is not small.

I hope this article will eliminate any consideration of Mathieu being drafted by the Browns.. the guy is a basket case.

Miami has the extra picks this year in the second and third rounds to outbid the Chargers to trade up with the Browns.

Very cool.

I still like Darius Slay in the second, I doubt he'll make it to the third....

Only Savage would have drafted Mathieu for the Browns.

Will....never......happen.

Archived