THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dont need all those D-Lineman and Hunt will make every LB behind him better. We could trade Rubin for a 2nd rounder and draft a LB there. Did you really just list Sanford?

So... we don't need all those D-linemen, but we need to draft a D-lineman...????!!!! Sorry, makes no sense. PLUS,

Trade Rubin??? Are you insane??? He is a prototype 3-4 NT, and was great when he played while Big Baby was injured or tired.

And yes I listed Sanford... he's on the roster, so what's your point?

Please, save me the time and just admit when you're wrong.

We REALLY don't need a D-lineman anywhere near the top of the draft. We got Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, Rucker, and Sanford to play on a 3-4 line. Plus Sheard and E.Stephens for depth at DE as pass-rushers if we go hybrid, or on 3rd down. I'd flip sh** if we spent a first round pick on a D-lineman.

We need a difference-making 3-4 LB. Right now we have Gocong (injured all year), Sheard(???), Jackson(never played as well in 3-4), Maiava(has some experience w/ 3-4). Robertson, Fort, JMJ, Acho (All could be good, but very young)

What makes it even worse... just realized Maiava is a UFA this offseason.

So... we don't need all those D-linemen, but we need to draft a D-lineman...????!!!! Sorry, makes no sense. PLUS,

Trade Rubin??? Are you insane??? He is a prototype 3-4 NT, and was great when he played while Big Baby was injured or tired.

And yes I listed Sanford... he's on the roster, so what's your point?

Please, save me the time and just admit when you're wrong.

Wow, arent u the dick? No Rubin is not the prototypical 3-4 NT, in fact, he'll probably move to DE where he will not be able to occupy the blocks or hold the edges needed to free the linebackers diminishing his value. Id rather have a 6'8 behemoth whos a freak of nature, my bad. Btw Taylor will play NT, Rucker Hughes and Winn will be the DE's, not the shining group needed for the switch. I was kind of going out on a limb, but thats what i think would be the best pick right now, instead of the same old Moore, Jones, Werner stuff you'll here from now till April.

Hes been horrible at the Senior Bowl so far

Good. I'd like his stock to drop as far as possible and grab him the the sixth round.

Something about his elusiveness in the pocket reminds me of another Redhawk QB. A Redhawk QB, I might add, that I wanted us so badly to draft.

Good. I'd like his stock to drop as far as possible and grab him the the sixth round.

Something about his elusiveness in the pocket reminds me of another Redhawk QB. A Redhawk QB, I might add, that I wanted us so badly to draft.

Dysert isnt Roethlisberger. If he lasts to the sixth I wouldnt mind the move if we havent already brought in another guy

Dysert isnt Roethlisberger. If he lasts to the sixth I wouldnt mind the move if we havent already brought in another guy

He doesn't need to be Roethlisberger. But what he does have is Roethlisberger's uncanny ability to extend plays, something no QB has had for us really ever.

With the defenses we play, it's a strong quality to be able to stand tall and be evasive in the pocket while keeping your eyes downfield.

He doesn't need to be Roethlisberger. But what he does have is Roethlisberger's uncanny ability to extend plays, something no QB has had for us really ever.

With the defenses we play, it's a strong quality to be able to stand tall and be evasive in the pocket while keeping your eyes downfield.

Miami (Ohio) quarterback Zac Dysert, on other hand, lacks an elite arm. He was too high on a couple of out-breaking routes, then threw a duck that was batted down by Oregon State corner Jordan Poyer.

Thats a great quality to have but its all for not if he dont have the arm strength or the accuracy to play in the NFL.

We need a difference making pass rusher. We're going to blitz heavily, especially with our new DC. We need someone who can get to the QB and get there yesterday. We don't need to eye anybody that plays with their hand in the dirt for our first pick.

I saw DE's Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor of Texas, Datone Jones of UCLA, and Ezekiel Ansah of BYU play this last year. Dion Jordan is on another level from those other guys.

Thats a great quality to have but its all for not if he dont have the arm strength or the accuracy to play in the NFL.

I agree to a certain extent. Dysert doesn't possess elite arm strength by any means, but he's got a stronger arm than most realize. Had he come out five or six years ago, he would have been considered more of a strong armed QB than most in his class. QB's like Russell, Flacco, Newton, Luck, and RG3, however, have changed the expectations of a "strong armed QB". Now strong arm QB's can heave the ball 70 yards down the field on the run. Dysert has plenty enough zip on nearly all of his passes. He does show trouble with the deep out routes, he tends to either fly the ball five yards over the receivers head or hang the ball. But he does possess the ability to make the throw.

I'd say his arm strength is lower than Weeden's, but is much stronger than that of McCoy.

The thing that interests me about Dysert is that he is proficient in the things that Weeden shown trouble with this season. Consensus opinions and scouting reports on Dysert have listed his strengths in things such as touch passes, sensing pressure, creating separation between him and rushers, and his football knowledge.

Another knock on Dysert is that he failed to post spectacular numbers against mediocre teams. What people tend to gloss over is the lack of playmakers or even legitimate talent on the Miami (OH) offense this season. Their highest rusher had less than 400 yards on the season. They were plagued with dropped passes all season long. The offensive line forgot to show up to the first half of the season, especially against Ohio State.

In that Ohio State game, there more than 10 dropped passes...in the first half. Despite that, Dysert picked apart the OSU defense for 200 first half yards and went into halftime down 21-3, a missed field goal and an overruled TD away from being down 21-13.

I'm not saying Dysert is going to be a Tom Brady, Bart Starr, or Joe Theismann. He may never start in his entire career. But his intangibles are unique, and they tend to translate into successful NFL careers. If he's there in the fifth, I say why not?

I agree to a certain extent. Dysert doesn't possess elite arm strength by any means, but he's got a stronger arm than most realize. Had he come out five or six years ago, he would have been considered more of a strong armed QB than most in his class. QB's like Russell, Flacco, Newton, Luck, and RG3, however, have changed the expectations of a "strong armed QB". Now strong arm QB's can heave the ball 70 yards down the field on the run. Dysert has plenty enough zip on nearly all of his passes. He does show trouble with the deep out routes, he tends to either fly the ball five yards over the receivers head or hang the ball. But he does possess the ability to make the throw.

I'd say his arm strength is lower than Weeden's, but is much stronger than that of McCoy.

The thing that interests me about Dysert is that he is proficient in the things that Weeden shown trouble with this season. Consensus opinions and scouting reports on Dysert have listed his strengths in things such as touch passes, sensing pressure, creating separation between him and rushers, and his football knowledge.

Another knock on Dysert is that he failed to post spectacular numbers against mediocre teams. What people tend to gloss over is the lack of playmakers or even legitimate talent on the Miami (OH) offense this season. Their highest rusher had less than 400 yards on the season. They were plagued with dropped passes all season long. The offensive line forgot to show up to the first half of the season, especially against Ohio State.

In that Ohio State game, there more than 10 dropped passes...in the first half. Despite that, Dysert picked apart the OSU defense for 200 first half yards and went into halftime down 21-3, a missed field goal and an overruled TD away from being down 21-13.

I'm not saying Dysert is going to be a Tom Brady, Bart Starr, or Joe Theismann. He may never start in his entire career. But his intangibles are unique, and they tend to translate into successful NFL careers. If he's there in the fifth, I say why not?

For sure, good developmental guy. He'll more than likey be gone by the end of the third though.

Once again, ask Philly and the Jets how putting all your money in the secondary has worked out for them.

Fact is, nobody can cover a receiver for more than 7 seconds. The best corner in the world would get beat by 90% of the league if he had to cover for that long. If we load out secondary up and don't add playmakers to the front seven, its all for naught. We'll be talking about this same thing next year.

Perfectly put. Post of the month. Dion sanderers couldn't cover anyone that long.

Perfectly put. Post of the month. Dion sanderers couldn't cover anyone that long.

If there is depth in this draft, it's in guys who can play rush LB. When we continually put heat on opposing QBs, folks will REALLY see how great Haden is & it's my bet that Skrine may open some eyes. As tight as those 2 play WRs combined with opposing QBs not having time to thread the needle, we may see a big difference in turnovers & 3 & outs. No more pansy assed rubberband Ds here & I LOVE it!!

There are no guarantees of instant wins, but I love the goal of playing aggressively...FINALLY, football that will be fun to watch here in NEO!

Mike

Senior bowl is on... I'm looking at Ansah, Trufant, Webb, and Manuel

Edit:

Ansah is tearing it up with a his long stride and a great bull rush... Sixth Pick? I wish Dion Jordan was playing to compare these to Hybrid players.

Some players are making some money in this game.... A lot of the borderline 2/3 round corners probably moved up to a solid 2nd.

I've been pulling for Michael Williams, the TE from Alabama... He looked like he improved a round to probably mid 3rd. If they can trade down a bit in the 3rd, he would be a great pick up. Maybe gaining a 5th or 6th in the process.

It's going to be an exciting draft.

Senior bowl is on... I'm looking at Ansah, Trufant, Webb, and Manuel

Edit:

Ansah is tearing it up with a his long stride and a great bull rush... Sixth Pick? I wish Dion Jordan was playing to compare these to Hybrid players.

Some players are making some money in this game.... A lot of the borderline 2/3 round corners probably moved up to a solid 2nd.

I've been pulling for Michael Williams, the TE from Alabama... He looked like he improved a round to probably mid 3rd. If they can trade down a bit in the 3rd, he would be a great pick up. Maybe gaining a 5th or 6th in the process.

It's going to be an exciting draft.

The QB looked pretty bad!!! Ansah and Short looked pretty nice out there

A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube here) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

Go Browns!!!

A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube here) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

Go Browns!!!

Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

Mingo played at DE almost 100% of the time. Jones played OLB nearly 50% of the time. We already have a 3-4 OLB pass-rush only type of guy in Sheard. We need a guy who can actually plan OLB and drop into coverage on TEs and RBs and rush the QB. Jones is the full package, Mingo is only a pass-rusher and will struggle at OLB in the NFL.

Archived