Sign in to follow this  
mdmusch

Draft Thoughts 2013

How do you guys see Phil Taylor playing end?

I can see phil playing all 3 line positions if we switch to 3-4, that defense requires bigger linemen anyway 3 DT's essentially, you dont use your typical DE's in the 3-4

Our offense showed some explosion and some big-play ability with 3 rookies playing the 3 most important skill positions. AND, that was with Shurmur calling the plays. They held their own pretty well until mid-way through the season when the defense completely collapsed and couldn't get off the field. They gave up way too many sustained drives, thus never allowing our offense to get into any type of rhythm.

The focus will be, and should be, on upgrading D at all positions, while bringing in some veteran leadership at the TE, WR, and QB positions. But, I don't see any major splash coming in at starting at any of those positions on offense except maybe TE.

And yes, Weeden gets another year. Stability is key, and he needs another year to improve or else we are setting ourselves back even longer. With Chud and Norv (hopefully that one doesn't fall through) Weeden, Richardson, Gordon, Little, Benjamin, Cameron, Hardesty, Cooper, are all some pretty darn-good weapons. I still think we need a veteran WR for leadership, and re-sign Watson or try and upgrade at TE in FA.

The first pick WILL be on Defense! UNLESS Chud really wants one of the lowly QBs in the draft (God I hope not)

Really like the idea of taking a chance on the Honey Badger in a 4th, or 5th round as a nickleback. Keep him clean, motivated and he could probably surprise people. Kid always played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder

I always love bringing in bargain talent, BUT we already have Little and Gordon on this team with some character questions. They both seem to have been good risks, but how many of those type of guys can we afford to have in the same locker room before things start turning bad??

I would love to keep him if hell settle for a 2 year deal worth a mill or less per as the 5th WR and ST help. Doubt he stays though.

He hasn't returned any sort of kick for a touchdown in 2 years. Benjamin is faster, and younger. No need to sign him an waste more money. That's ignorant.

have you ever seen him, besides on tv?

he wouldn't make it a full season playing special teams.

bubble screens, or a burner down the sidelines is his thing.

He hasn't returned any sort of kick for a touchdown in 2 years. Benjamin is faster, and younger. No need to sign him an waste more money. That's ignorant.

I agree who would want the number 4 kick returner and number 6 punt returner in the NFL :rolleyes:

I agree who would want the number 4 kick returner and number 6 punt returner in the NFL :rolleyes:

That and kick and punt coverage. One of the best in the game.

have you ever seen him, besides on tv?

he wouldn't make it a full season playing special teams.

bubble screens, or a burner down the sidelines is his thing.

Lol obviously you've never watched him. In college the guy had touches on the ball 30-40% of at least every game. They used him in the back field, spec teams, everything. He's as versatile as it comes, and they're not utilizing him.

Lol obviously you've never watched him. In college the guy had touches on the ball 30-40% of at least every game. They used him in the back field, spec teams, everything. He's as versatile as it comes, and they're not utilizing him.

Ive seen him in college a good friend of mine has been a canes fan since he started following football. So i do watch a few games and get to hear his thoughts on them, but 30-40% ahhh no.

One touchdown on special teams in 4 yrs

His best year receiving 743 yds 3 tds.

Am i glad he's on our team yes.

Can he carry the s.t. load for a full season w/o injury no.

175 pounds and this isnt the acc.

Who gives a shit about numbers, when he's being over payed to play a position that he's not performing in like he once was.

And that goes back to where I said the only way we keep him is if he takes a pay cut, and gets paid like special teamers do.

Cribbs will go.... and u lose all credibility when u say u want to trade the BEST LT in the game sorry u are no more football savy than weird al.

Please trade back to get millner. we missed on claiborne and Patrick Peterson we have to be able to avoid double teaming in the 3/4. if we can't we will get run all the phuck over

Please trade back to get millner. we missed on claiborne and Patrick Peterson we have to be able to avoid double teaming in the 3/4. if we can't we will get run all the phuck over

My bet is we get a CB or two in free agency, maybe a FS also

I could see the Cards cutting Kerry Rhodes if they cannot restructure his contract (Due a $1 Million Roster Bonus and $4.5 base next year) and having him follow Horton to the Browns. Also Greg Toler, CB, is another Cardinal FA that may end up here. I would have no problem with either of these guys.

With that aside, I still say Mingo, Jordan, Ansah, or Jones in the First Round and the best remaining corner in the Third. I think Ansah and Jordan will rise into the 5 to 12 range, while Jones may fall out of the top 15.

Personally I want Dion Jordan, especially if he bulks up to 250 while retaining his change of direction. Jordan can immediately help the Browns in pass rush and in coverage.

Once again, ask Philly and the Jets how putting all your money in the secondary has worked out for them.

Fact is, nobody can cover a receiver for more than 7 seconds. The best corner in the world would get beat by 90% of the league if he had to cover for that long. If we load out secondary up and don't add playmakers to the front seven, its all for naught. We'll be talking about this same thing next year.

I say we build our front seven first. The San Francisco defense is probably the nastiest defense in the league, and they don't have two shutdown corners. Excluding Carlos Rogers, their secondary is filled with 3rd or 4th round talent.

Their front seven, however, features three top-15 NFL draft picks in Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and Justin Smith. These players create enough pressure to bait the opposing QB to throw it before he's ready or take the sack.

Also, if we're to spend a first rounder on someone, I would want that person to be influential on all plays, pass or run.

• Upvote 1

My ideal situation would be to trade down add a couple picks and grab Dion Jordan out of Oregon. This kid is a freak. He could put on a few pounds, add some strength and he'd be good to go. He has a Jason Pierre Paul type body. He's not used to putting his hand in the dirt as a DE but he lines up near the end usually as an OLB. Sometimes they'd even put him 1 on 1 with receivers because he plays that fast.

He uses his arms really well to get inside of blockers and his speed does the rest.

Downside, he was hurt sometime this season and missed a few games near the end. Declined offer to the senior bowl due to the injury most likely. Can't wait to see him at the combine though.

I want Margus Hunt. But unless we trade down I think 6 is too high and our 3rd is too low.

6'8" 280lb. 3/4 DE - 4/3 DT, projected to run a 4.6 and put up 40 reps on the bench. This is our Justin Smith/ JJ Watt. No matter who u have on the outside rushing the passer, this guy will occupy the blocks to get him there.

6'8" 280lb. 3/4 DE - 4/3 DT, projected to run a 4.6 and put up 40 reps on the bench. This is our Justin Smith/ JJ Watt. No matter who u have on the outside rushing the passer, this guy will occupy the blocks to get him there.

We REALLY don't need a D-lineman anywhere near the top of the draft. We got Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, Rucker, and Sanford to play on a 3-4 line. Plus Sheard and E.Stephens for depth at DE as pass-rushers if we go hybrid, or on 3rd down. I'd flip sh** if we spent a first round pick on a D-lineman.

We need a difference-making 3-4 LB. Right now we have Gocong (injured all year), Sheard(???), Jackson(never played as well in 3-4), Maiava(has some experience w/ 3-4). Robertson, Fort, JMJ, Acho (All could be good, but very young)

We have enough people to occupy blocks. We need a difference making pass rusher. We're going to blitz heavily, especially with our new DC. We need someone who can get to the QB and get there yesterday. We don't need to eye anybody that plays with their hand in the dirt for our first pick.

We REALLY don't need a D-lineman anywhere near the top of the draft. We got Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, Rucker, and Sanford to play on a 3-4 line. Plus Sheard and E.Stephens for depth at DE as pass-rushers if we go hybrid, or on 3rd down. I'd flip sh** if we spent a first round pick on a D-lineman.

We need a difference-making 3-4 LB. Right now we have Gocong (injured all year), Sheard(???), Jackson(never played as well in 3-4), Maiava(has some experience w/ 3-4). Robertson, Fort, JMJ, Acho (All could be good, but very young)

? Smartest thing I've read in a Browns forum yet.

We dont need all those D-Lineman and Hunt will make every LB behind him better. We could trade Rubin for a 2nd rounder and draft a LB there. Did you really just list Sanford?