THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

Post your own Mock, with or without explanations as to who you would like the Browns to draft:

With the new coach bringing in an attacking offense and most likely a 3-4 attacking defense, this is who I would like the Browns to target with each of their picks. (I'm including the 7th rounder that they will likely receive from the Eagles for the Sims trade)

Round 1, Pick 6:

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

- Jones may end up going 2nd or 5th overall to the Jaguars or the Lions. But I think ultimately he will end up being available at the 6th pick. Jones will immediately step in and play opposite of Jabaal Sheard at OLB. Sheard's primary duty will be to rush the passer, while Jones will play a jack-of-all-trades position. This could be a deadly combination on third down if Sheard can make the transition.

Round 3, Pick 6:

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn

- Wreh-Wilson has the size (6-0, 190) and the athleticism (4.45) of a quality starter. Hopefully the Browns resign and try Brown at FS. Wreh-Wilson could jump in opposite of Haden and allow Skrine to strictly play nickel, where he is decent (while horrible on an island).

Round 4, Pick 7:

J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell

- A small school prospect who is rising up boards. He started as a Tight End and has put on over 65 lbs of mass, but in the NFL he will need to get stronger. He could start out as a great pulling technician to help the run game out, while providing good pass protection.

Round 5, Pick 6:

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Williams has the size and experience to develop into a great blocking Tight End. He is underrated as a pass catcher, but this pick would essentially be for Double Tight sets with Cameron as the primary receiver and Williams as a blocking counterpart.

Round 6, Pick 7:

Rontez Miles, FS, California (PA)

- This guy looks the part with decent size and athleticism. He is a fearless, big hitter across the middle, but he will have to adjust to the athleticism in the NFL.

Round 7, Pick 4 (From Eagles):

Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech

- I am sick of the sub par punting over the past couple of years. Hodges needs to go, and the Browns need to try to get either Allen or Quinn Sharp in the 7th. There looks to be three draftable Punters in this year's class, and the Jaguars proved that a rookie punter can step in and be a force in field position (the Jags just couldn't do anything else right)

Round 7, Pick 6

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas

- Goodwin is a phenomenal athlete qualifying for the Olympics in the long jump (over 27 feet, which is amazing considering he is 5-9, and he ran a 10.24 100m dash). With Goodwin and Benjamin on special teams and using him sporadically in four or five wide sets, the Browns would truly be a vertical team.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Pick 6:

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

- Jones may end up going 2nd or 5th overall to the Jaguars or the Lions. But I think ultimately he will end up being available at the 6th pick. Jones will immediately step in and play opposite of Jabaal Sheard at OLB. Sheard's primary duty will be to rush the passer, while Jones will play a jack-of-all-trades position. This could be a deadly combination on third down if Sheard can make the transition.

Makes sense to me.

Zombo

1- DaMontre Moore- played LB/DE in college and can get after the QB, would like to see a slight trade down maybe 8 or 9 and get Milliner

3- Jon Bostic- thumper to play next to D Jack

4- Honey Badger- if the pick works out you have a steal if not its a 4th rounder

5- Chud Bumpis- add a little depth @WR

6- Spencer Long-add some OL depth

7-Javon Harris- safety depth special teamer

7-Jordan Rodgers- Developmental QB.. hope some of his brothers magic wears off on him

How do you guys see Phil Taylor playing end?

Cause for a guy his size he still has the athleticism and even the speed necessary to play at the DE in a 3-4. I feel that everyone is just focused on his weight which is 330. I don't see that being a problem. The Ravans used to run Ngata at NT but moved him out to DE where he still plays at a high level.

Here is my mock with a split decision in the first.

1st: Moore or Mingo from LSU. We might be able to trade back a few spots and still pick up Mingo if Moore is already gone. Both will make good rush LBs in the NFL. I don't pick Jones for two reasons. The first is that I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole that early due to his back issue. Why would you take a guy who is one injury away from having to retire? The second reason is that some team ahead of us is going to be stupid enough to take him before we pick.

3rd: John Simon DE. While I have said that I think Taylor would work out at the DE spot that is far from fact at this point, along with Billy Winn even being any good on the other side. Can Frostee play at DE in this system? Fact is we are going to be moving a lot of DT and DE and trying to fit them into a hole and seeing if they work. While I really do think we can have a good starting unit I don't think we are going to have any depth and this season we saw how important depth was for us on the DL. Simon has the perfect size to play as a 3-4 DE and honestly could still be available at this spot since there are sexier picks ahead of him.

4th: Zac Dysert QB Miami (OH). The only thing Dysert doesn't have that Big Ben does is his crazy inside the pocket mobility, but Zac's is still pretty good. What he does have is great arm strength, good accuracy, and Big Ben's all time yardage record. A good guy to develope since it is now obvious that McCoy and possibly even Lewis will be gone.

5th: Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State: This one is a stretch. I don't know if he will still be available at this point considering the bigger priority that all teams are starting to put on the TE position but Escobar is a person who really could have used another season at the college level and him declaring himself for the draft early was a mistake on his part. We do know how much Chud covets TE's and I feel that it is a forgone conclusion that we will be taking one in this years draft. Escobar isn't overly fast but he can catch, block, and has athleticism.

6th: Joseph Fauria TE UCLA: Did I say Chud loves TEs? I don't think we would take two TEs unless that last one was with one of the 7th round picks but I don't know who else to take at this point, Joseph could still be available here, and honestly I could see us taking this guy in the 5th instead of Gavin. Joseph is more a receiving TE that a blocker but he has great hands and athleticism and is a true red zone threat with 11 touchdowns last season and standing at 6'7

I'll let you draftnicks have fun with seven round mocks- I don't delve that deeply. I will say, if Jones is off the board, I try like hell to trade out of the 6th slot and pick up the second rounder we lost drafting Gordon. That would be a real coup.

B86b I wanted to add Rodgers as 7th for that same reason... I also would not mind mind a trade down with a team and then nab Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah, while gaining an extra second or third.

Denard Robinson is another pick that I would love as a WildDawg QB, slot receiver, and single back. Let's get some playmakers to add to Richardson and Gordon.

Maybe the Rams get antsy with Bradford or fall in love with someone early and we can trade back for their two first rounders. Then we could grab two of the following these guys: Chance Warmack, Xavier Rhodes, Dion Jordon/Sam Montgomery. Then we can hope that Joseph Fauria at TE is around in the third. My only other draft opinion is that we should stay away from Jones in the first because spinal stenosis is a serious condition and a threat to his career.

Round 1 - Pick 6 Keenan Allen WR, CAL

Round 3 - Gabe Jackson G, Miss St, or if he isn't available, Landry Jones QB, Oklahoma, how funny would that be!

Round 4 - Levine Toiolo TE, Stanford

then go defense the rest of the way

No way we go offense heavy if we move to a 3-4, we would need a rush LB as top priority.

In my Mock above the two guys I definitely want are Michael Williams and Rontez Miles. Williams might rise throughout the draft process (if he checks out athletically), and may rise the third round. Having him would do wonders for the ground game especially if Chud relies on Double Tight Sets. And Miles looks like a legit prospect, even though he routinely was the best athlete on the field when he played in D2.

Ideally the Browns can hope that Star Lotulelei falls to their pick and then they can entertain offers from the Dolphins, Saints, or Panthers. If they could recoup a second rounder and get the the middle of the round, a player like Chance Warmack, Dion Jordan, or Ezekiel Ansah would be great. This year I am all for trading down with the depth this draft has with pass rushers.

A Darkhorse Prospect I would love the Browns to take a chance on is Denard Robinson as a RB/Slot Receiver. He would probably need to be taken in the third round, which may be too high for a luxury pick, but he would be a great weapon on offense and special teams. If Robinson were to get something like 50 carries and 30 designed receptions on screens or slants, he would probably be worth a third rounder by scoring touchdowns. My main concern is that he probably will not hold up in the NFL.

A Darkhorse Prospect I would love the Browns to take a chance on is Denard Robinson as a RB/Slot Receiver. He would probably need to be taken in the third round, which may be too high for a luxury pick, but he would be a great weapon on offense and special teams. If Robinson were to get something like 50 carries and 30 designed receptions on screens or slants, he would probably be worth a third rounder by scoring touchdowns. My main concern is that he probably will not hold up in the NFL.

Denard is actual more durable than people give him credit for. He went out a lot his first year starting (Soph year) but never missed a game. Many of the times that he went out it had to do with him being able to do the things he needed to do as a QB (injuries to his throwing arm). In the offseason he put on muscle and was able to stay in more his Jr year while still running the ball almost as much. The injury he suffered at the end of this year was nerve damage to his elbow on his throwing arm after a Nebraska palyer stepped on it.

ESPN lists him at 6', 197lbs. That is probably being generous in the height. He'll probably put on some more weight as he trains for the Sr Bowl and combine as a WR/HB/returner.

Some comparable guys:

Dexter McCluster 5'8'' 170lbs

DeSeasn Jackson 5'10'' 175lbs

Danny Woodhead 5'8'' 200lbs

Chris Johnson 5'11'' 191lbs

Daren Sproles 5'6'' 190lbs

Antwaan Randle El 5'10'' 190lbs

Wes Welker 5'9'' 185lbs

Percy Harvin 5'11'' 184lbs

Randall Cobb 5'10'' 192lbs

If you watched the Michigsn v South Carolina game he was actually running between the tackles and running through guys. He was fighting for yards and this was against a defense with future NFL players.

I'm not trying to be too much of a homer I am just trying to be helpful :)

Maybe the Rams get antsy with Bradford or fall in love with someone early and we can trade back for their two first rounders. Then we could grab two of the following these guys: Chance Warmack, Xavier Rhodes, Dion Jordon/Sam Montgomery. Then we can hope that Joseph Fauria at TE is around in the third. My only other draft opinion is that we should stay away from Jones in the first because spinal stenosis is a serious condition and a threat to his career.

I was just thinking that. If someone had 2 first rounders it might be worth thinking of trading with them for some depth of quality picks.

It looks like right now that the Rams have the #16 and something like #22-23.

Picking up both a Sam Montgomery and Chance Warmack sounds sweet.

Right now, pre-combine, this year seems pretty clear cut (IMHO):

at #6 take : Jarvis Jones OLB, Damontre Moore OLB, Bjoern Werner OLB, or Dee Milliner CB

in that order, if they are available. Which at least one of them will. If not, trade down and try to take:

Barkevious Mingo OLB, Jonathan Banks CB, Matt Elam S, or Sam Montgomery OLB

Really, of all the projected first rounders so far, these are the guys we could use. With the switch to 3-4 appearing all but a foregone conclusion, it seems we will have to hit FA hard to add to our D, especially at LB, but we REALLY need help at FS and CB as well.

I agree that our offense played worse than our D last year but with the combination of our offense having so much youth and our D losing starters to FA (more than likely) the pick will be defense, depending on what we do in FA it'll probably be OLB or CB. As for needing a QB, I agree we need better play from that position but Weeden, deservingly so, will get another year. The guy may be able to put it together with a new offense, and there are no clear cut upgrades available. As for all that trade stuff Ghoolie is spewing about, uhhh u have no idea what youre talking about.

The Browns need offensive weapons. It is far too early to predict the draft. A lot will depend on how active they are in free agency.

We need a QB, a FB, two WRs and a badass TE. Those are the most important and immediate needs.

The Browns played good enough on defense not to require a major overhaul there. LIkewise this team is not going to waste high picks for OL like we did with Joe "I can't move sideways" Thomas.

The Browns have listened to the Cleveland media and assholes like Doug Dieken for the past 13 years and it has produced a Pro Bowl offensive line and a thimble of wins.

Those days are over. The Browns need playmakers. Whether by draft, trade or FA, the focus must be on offensive playmakers.

The Browns just drafted just about everything you say they need last year: QB: Weeden,

2 WRs: Gordon/Benjamin, FB: Smelley. They picked up a WR and a TE the year before.

Sure, it would be nice to replace everything we have with Tom Brady, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Tony Gonzales

....but that ain't gonna happen. They are going to go with what they have. They cannot afford to do a wholesale change of their offensive skill players one year after they did a wholesale change of their offensive skill players.

They may try to pick up some of what you say in FA....but I think they are stuck to a large extent with what they got.

What they needed MOST was some decent coaching....hopefully THAT is the wholesale change that was required that will be successful.

I think the third round pick, with McCoy and Cribbs could get us another second round pick.

Perhaps the third, Cribbs and Joe Thomas could get us another 1st, but I doubt it.

I think Cribbs is set to be a FA....so that would mean they have no right to trade him, unless they sign him first.

And JT ain't going nowhere. If you think so then you have been smoking too much of your own sausage.

Archived