THE BROWNS BOARD

Rob Chudzinski Officially New Hc Of Browns

BadNewsBrowns

still don't know why we didn't look at billick. all these wonder boy coordinators and ex head coaches aren't wearing a ring like billick.

he must be on a 'black' list somewhere.

LOL, how many Rings did Crennell collect before he became the Browns Coach? Gipper will tell you off the top of his head how many HCs have won SBs with more than one team (I can't) but IIRC it's one, or two at most.

Bill-dick's black listed because he was a pompous ass living on his reputation when the Ratbirds hired him. Pretty easy to look brilliant when you have Randy Moss and Chris Carter catching the rock. The only reason "Mr. Offensive Genius" won his SB is he lucked into one of the greatest defenses of all time, that happened to have one of the luckiest runs in history on their way to the Lombardi.

If Ozzie & Biscotti thought he had outlived his usefulness in B-more, why would you want their retread?

I haven't forgotten Cleveland wasn't good enough for him the first time around, either.

Haslam wanted a coach that was "all in". You couldn't find a guy who fits that description more than Chud. Billick's gone the way of Gruden and Mangini- nice cushy network job that pays well. Seems now he's got the "itch" to coach again, elsewhere fortunately.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero hoorta....its actually zero. Holmgren was the closest, and had that that distinction ripped from his hands. That's why he was so pissed about that game.

Now, it doesn't mean it'll never happen, but it hadsnt yet....which suggests hiring a retread, even a SB retread, is no more likely to get you one than there unproven coordinator route.

Lots of SB winning coaches out there that keep staying away....gruden, cowher, dungy, billick. Yeah..,its a wonder they haven't come back since they already know how easy it is to win the big one. Hmmm....

LOL, how many Rings did Crennell collect before he became the Browns Coach? Gipper will tell you off the top of his head how many HCs have won SBs with more than one team (I can't) but IIRC it's one, or two at most.

Actually...the number is exactly zero. Only 3 coaches have taken 2 different teams to the SB: Shula: Colts/Dolphins, Parcells: Giants/Pats, Holmgren: Packers/Seahawks

However, Weeb Ewbank did win titles with 2 teams: 58/59 Colts and 68 Jets, and I believe Guy Chamberlain was coach of two different teams, including the Canton Bulldogs, back in the 20s.

I cant believe some of you Browns fans are upset about this hire. Im not a Browns/Panthers fan so let me give you an unbiased opinion:

The BEST coaches in the world, at football and/or anything else make a plan/scheme that adheres to their players strengths, and does not try to force players to go with their own scheme. They adapt. Chudzinksi has shown in Carolina that not only did he adapt an offense purely for Cam Newton, but he made it simple enough that guy that apparently (from reports) does not have great football smarts.

People also forget that it was actually Carolina that started this Read/Option fad in the NFL thats taken the league by storm.

Cam Newton had a great rookie year AND had a GREAT sophmore year as well. Go look at his stats this year. He threw less int's, and threw for more TDs then his rookie year.

For people that think Carolina has talent, that makes me laugh. They had no run game excdept a handful of games where Deangelo Williams had a couple big runs, other than that their running backs are an absolute joke. Their best receiver is an old man who is 5'9" and to top it off, their offensive line was battered all year.

The defense started off slow but that defense did do much better halfway through the season. Carolina was actually a very good team this year, think they went 5-1 in the last 6 games.

Chud was a great hire, you guys really should be excited, he will make a plan to cater to Weeden/Trich/Gordons strengths.

In all honesty, I think he was a steal.

I like Chud as a coach, but damn it I cant stand to see the word Chud. Lets call him Rob please!

I hope we bring in Greg Jennings at wr and Dom. Cromartie as a DB.

Also, I may be getting stationed back in Ohio, so I cant wait to go watch a home game again. Go Browns!!!

I cant believe some of you Browns fans are upset about this hire. Im not a Browns/Panthers fan so let me give you an unbiased opinion:

The BEST coaches in the world, at football and/or anything else make a plan/scheme that adheres to their players strengths, and does not try to force players to go with their own scheme. They adapt. Chudzinksi has shown in Carolina that not only did he adapt an offense purely for Cam Newton, but he made it simple enough that guy that apparently (from reports) does not have great football smarts.

People also forget that it was actually Carolina that started this Read/Option fad in the NFL thats taken the league by storm.

Cam Newton had a great rookie year AND had a GREAT sophmore year as well. Go look at his stats this year. He threw less int's, and threw for more TDs then his rookie year.

For people that think Carolina has talent, that makes me laugh. They had no run game excdept a handful of games where Deangelo Williams had a couple big runs, other than that their running backs are an absolute joke. Their best receiver is an old man who is 5'9" and to top it off, their offensive line was battered all year.

The defense started off slow but that defense did do much better halfway through the season. Carolina was actually a very good team this year, think they went 5-1 in the last 6 games.

Chud was a great hire, you guys really should be excited, he will make a plan to cater to Weeden/Trich/Gordons strengths.

In all honesty, I think he was a steal.

don't get me wrong dude. i never said i didn't like the hire. it just came off as a fast pull of the trigger.

first it was "we're going to evaluate and come up with a list of candidates all of which we'll talk to, blah, blah, blah...." then obviously the first guy on the list: "OMG chip kelly! chip kelly!" then no chip kelly. then i don't even know if they talked to anyone else in the NFL. i know trestman was mentioned but he's CFL. then a day later we hire chudz.

they sure didn't interview everyone like they said they would and all i said is why is noone looking at billick. hell i know he's a pompous ass but so is harbaugh, so was bobby knight and some of the greatest minds are just hard to deal with.

chudz is younger and i agree will not gut a system or roster (turner might want to though) but i would think it's easier for someone who actually has done something to do it again than someone with no knowledge of it trying to do it for the first time.

all i'm saying. sure a lot of these guys don't want to coach anymore (cowher gruden etc.) because they know how hard it is. but if any of those guys said hey i'm willing to give it a shot they'd be first on your list.

don't get me wrong dude. i never said i didn't like the hire. it just came off as a fast pull of the trigger.

first it was "we're going to evaluate and come up with a list of candidates all of which we'll talk to, blah, blah, blah...." then obviously the first guy on the list: "OMG chip kelly! chip kelly!" then no chip kelly. then i don't even know if they talked to anyone else in the NFL. i know trestman was mentioned but he's CFL. then a day later we hire chudz.

they sure didn't interview everyone like they said they would and all i said is why is noone looking at billick. hell i know he's a pompous ass but so is harbaugh, so was bobby knight and some of the greatest minds are just hard to deal with.

chudz is younger and i agree will not gut a system or roster (turner might want to though) but i would think it's easier for someone who actually has done something to do it again than someone with no knowledge of it trying to do it for the first time.

all i'm saying. sure a lot of these guys don't want to coach anymore (cowher gruden etc.) because they know how hard it is. but if any of those guys said hey i'm willing to give it a shot they'd be first on your list.

Cowher, Gruden, etc. are statistically just as likely to win a Super Bowl with Cleveland as Chud is.

Cowher, Gruden, etc. are statistically just as likely to win a Super Bowl with Cleveland as Chud is.

yes correct and i'm not disputing that.

at least we know the guys you mentioned know how to manage (be a HC) in the NFL. i mean manage other coaches, the media, being #1 to answer to pres. and owner etc. etc.

does chudz have that on his resume?

that's my point. i'm not trying to make this into an argument about we made a bad hire....i never said that. i brought it up for discussion to other people's opinions. most owner's of businesses when hiring for a new position from copy boy to CFO want to know that they have done the same job at another company with excellent reviews. in the real world there aren't too many employers willing to give someone that shot.

but if not for a couple of guys like haslam in my lifetime i'd have been stuck in the low end of an industry for decades.

i like giving a guy a shot. the problem is what if he turns out to be just another glorified coordinator and 3 years from now we're still a 5 and 11 team? will haslam stick to his word and keep the guy on as he said he "WILL KEEP STABILITY WITH THIS HIRE FOR YEARS AND YEARS TO COME."

will we all be calling for his head?

at least we know the guys you mentioned know how to manage (be a HC) in the NFL. i mean manage other coaches, the media, being #1 to answer to pres. and owner etc. etc.

that's my point. i'm not trying to make this into an argument about we made a bad hire....i never said that. i brought it up for discussion to other people's opinions. most owner's of businesses when hiring for a new position from copy boy to CFO want to know that they have done the same job at another company with excellent reviews. in the real world there aren't too many employers willing to give someone that shot.

but if not for a couple of guys like haslam in my lifetime i'd have been stuck in the low end of an industry for decades.

i like giving a guy a shot. the problem is what if he turns out to be just another glorified coordinator and 3 years from now we're still a 5 and 11 team? will haslam stick to his word and keep the guy on as he said he "WILL KEEP STABILITY WITH THIS HIRE FOR YEARS AND YEARS TO COME."

Look, did you want Haslam to interview every Tom, Dick, & Harry out there before he decided?

We have no idea if Jimmy & Banner did give a call to Gruden or Cowher and their peers, and got "sorry, not interested" back. Seriously, You think those ex-coaches turned commentators put in 80-100 hour weeks during the season? Why would they want to go back to that grind? A little research told me it's near impossible to pin down a commentators real salary, but reportedly Bob Costas makes $5 million a year, Chris Berman $3 million, so take it from there. A good guess would be the likes of Gruden and Cowher make damn near the salary of an NFL HC, with way better job security and 1\10 the hours involved.

That remains to be seen. Plenty of great coordinators have turned out to be shit coaches, I know what you mean.

But very great HC had to start somewhere. I'm not saying Chud will be great, I'm not expecting him to. But I feel he can be good.

If Chud does blow the big one, in three years he'll be gone. Haslam preached consistency but fan pressure and media pressure will see to it that Chud gets the ax. I think the stability will lie more in not blowing up the FO and not completely reassembling the coaching corps.

If Chud stumbles, we'll have a proven HC on the roster who runs the same style of offense and will have been in Cleveland for a couple years in Turner. Then we just promote from within instead of destroying everything. I think that's the stability Haslam was talking about.

I like this direction they've decided to go. Get a ypunger guy who's known for his innovative mind and surround him with experience in his coordinators. It's kind of like what the Steelers did with Cowher. When Cowher was hired, he had Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, and Ron Erhardt on his staff.

I say lets go all in, lets get Jim Brown to coach RB's just like the Steelers had Dick Hoak.

I see your point mlktoxic, and I totally understand. I would even say that maybe a seasoned HC like a Gruden/Cowher Billick etc would fix up a crappy team.... but, the browns dont have a crappy old run down roster.

Lets take a look at the 2008/2009 Redskins before Shanahan. One of the OLDEST teams in the league. Roster is full of a bunch of entitled selfish lazy players like Haynesworth, Portis, Landry, Carlos Rogers, etc; Yes, landry and Rogers are great players, but they still were lazy and entitled, trust me.

Shanny came in and did a complete overhaul, now we have I think just 5 or 6 guys from the old roster. Orakpo, Moss, Cooley, Davis, Doughty, and Hall, (Im sure Im forgetting one or two). My point is, that 2008/2009 Skins team was just a joke, the whole team was a joke, the coaches were jokes, the gm a joke etc;

The Browns this year have it WAYYYYY better then the Skins did of 2008/2009. The Browns have a super young roster, a stiff young defense, some young bloomers at almost every playmaking postion. Your old GM did a great job with the drafting other than missing out on a possible all pro here and there like Julio Jones. But, still, did a great job, and you guys dont need a seasoned coach to tear it up and rebuild. Your already rebuilt. The problem was, with Shurmer, that he didnt adhere to his players strengths. He wanted to run the same offense that he ran with Bradford, the same old boring WCO. With Chud, hes going to walk in to the staff meeting room and ask Weeden "What do you like to do? what are you comfortable with?" And he will do that with Trich, Gordon, Benjamin etc;. He has the talent, now all he has to do is create a system for it. Theres a reason why Joe Gibbs is the ONLY coach who won a Super Bowl with more then 1 QB (He won 3 Super Bowls with THREE different qbs), its because Gibbs tailored his offense/scheme to the players strengths, and in turn, changed his offense dramatically every time he had new players.

There were 2 guys in the head coaching job races this year that have that same outlook, Mccoy and Chudzinski. You guys got the better of the two in my opinion. I think you all are going to be mad happy in a year or two.

I see your point mlktoxic, and I totally understand. I would even say that maybe a seasoned HC like a Gruden/Cowher Billick etc would fix up a crappy team.... but, the browns dont have a crappy old run down roster.

Lets take a look at the 2008/2009 Redskins before Shanahan. One of the OLDEST teams in the league. Roster is full of a bunch of entitled selfish lazy players like Haynesworth, Portis, Landry, Carlos Rogers, etc; Yes, landry and Rogers are great players, but they still were lazy and entitled, trust me.

Shanny came in and did a complete overhaul, now we have I think just 5 or 6 guys from the old roster. Orakpo, Moss, Cooley, Davis, Doughty, and Hall, (Im sure Im forgetting one or two). My point is, that 2008/2009 Skins team was just a joke, the whole team was a joke, the coaches were jokes, the gm a joke etc;

The Browns this year have it WAYYYYY better then the Skins did of 2008/2009. The Browns have a super young roster, a stiff young defense, some young bloomers at almost every playmaking postion. Your old GM did a great job with the drafting other than missing out on a possible all pro here and there like Julio Jones. But, still, did a great job, and you guys dont need a seasoned coach to tear it up and rebuild. Your already rebuilt. The problem was, with Shurmer, that he didnt adhere to his players strengths. He wanted to run the same offense that he ran with Bradford, the same old boring WCO. With Chud, hes going to walk in to the staff meeting room and ask Weeden "What do you like to do? what are you comfortable with?" And he will do that with Trich, Gordon, Benjamin etc;. He has the talent, now all he has to do is create a system for it. Theres a reason why Joe Gibbs is the ONLY coach who won a Super Bowl with more then 1 QB (He won 3 Super Bowls with THREE different qbs), its because Gibbs tailored his offense/scheme to the players strengths, and in turn, changed his offense dramatically every time he had new players.

There were 2 guys in the head coaching job races this year that have that same outlook, Mccoy and Chudzinski. You guys got the better of the two in my opinion. I think you all are going to be mad happy in a year or two.

Thanks for the outsider's perspective. I think you're right. If Chud fails, it won't be from lack of trying.

And to you guys- I really hope RG III will be OK. An ACL re-do is serious business. The Redskins gave up a ton to get him- too much IMHO, and if he's not himself there's trouble in DC.

Just read a report where Browns are interested in Raheem Morris to interview for the DC job. If this happens, and Morris is hired I'll officially hang up my hat, and probably watch college football for the rest of my life. I do not understand letting Dick go when the one bright side of the team has been the defense. Going back to a 3-4 just resets everything they've progressed. Also, changing schemes would more than likely throw the idea out of drafting Werner considering he ran the 4-3 all four years at FSU. I still feel like Weeden needs one more big weapon for any sort of down field threat. Can't expect Gordon and Richardson to make an entire offense. Maybe even get Bemjamin more involved with his speed. But my biggest concern is definitely what the end up doing with the DC. If its not gonna be Dick in CLE, try offering Lovie Smith a nice deal if he doesn't land anywhere.

Just read a report where Browns are interested in Raheem Morris to interview for the DC job. If this happens, and Morris is hired I'll officially hang up my hat, and probably watch college football for the rest of my life. I do not understand letting Dick go when the one bright side of the team has been the defense. Going back to a 3-4 just resets everything they've progressed. Also, changing schemes would more than likely throw the idea out of drafting Werner considering he ran the 4-3 all four years at FSU. I still feel like Weeden needs one more big weapon for any sort of down field threat. Can't expect Gordon and Richardson to make an entire offense. Maybe even get Bemjamin more involved with his speed. But my biggest concern is definitely what the end up doing with the DC. If its not gonna be Dick in CLE, try offering Lovie Smith a nice deal if he doesn't land anywhere.

Just to let you know. Rumors in dc were that when our defense finally started playing better it's cause Raheem Morris was calling the shots as well as lOndon fletcher and not haslett. Raheem's a good defensive mind, however, I agree that they should keep jauron because the defense is good in Cleveland.

With Chud, hes going to walk in to the staff meeting room and ask Weeden "What do you like to do? what are you comfortable with?" And he will do that with Trich, Gordon, Benjamin etc;.

thanks dude! you made my night!

and yes...hope RG3 is gonna be alright. just have shanny jr. when he's running the read option...if there's nothing there... SLIDE THE FUCK DOWN!!!

god luck.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Panthers scored TDs on 25% of their drives w/ Rob Chudzinksi as off. coordinator during the last 2 seasons (4th-highest in NFL).

ESPN likes to pull unverifiable BS statistics outta their ass.

Furthermore, ESPN uses Yardage rather than Points Per Game (PPG) to judge an Offense.

If Yardage mattered, then they would award wins and championships based on Yardage.

But they only give awards to players based on their Yardage.

The performance of teams are based on PPG.

CAR ranked 18th in PPG last season at 22.3 PPG

This hire is an improvement over Pat Shurmer, who's Rams ranked 26th at 18.1 PPG.

Why do the Browns feel so compelled to reach so low?

Ken Whisenhunt proved that with a talented team, he can get to the Super Bowl.

His Steelers were 7th, 9th, and 11th in PPG.

His Cardinals were #3 in PPG in 2008, winning the NFC Championship.

So, the Brownies passed him over for a guy with a #18 Offense.

ESPN likes to pull unverifiable BS statistics outta there ass.

Furthermore, ESPN uses Yardage rather than Points Per Game (PPG) to judge an Offense.

If Yardage mattered, then they would award wins and championships based on Yardage.

But they only give awards to players based on their Yardage.

The performance of teams are based on PPG.

CAR ranked 18th in PPG last season at 22.3 PPG

This hire is an improvement over Pat Shurmer, who's Rams ranked 26th at 18.1 PPG.

Why do the Browns feel so compelled to reach so low?

Ken Whisenhunt proved that with a talented team, he can get to the Super Bowl.

His Steelers were 7th, 9th, and 11th in PPG.

His Cardinals were #3 in PPG in 2008, winning the NFC Championship.

So, the Brownies passed him over for a guy with a #18 Offense.

Wisencunt's offense was #31 this year.

#24 in 2011.

#26 in 2010

Do you think think Kurt Warner had anything to do with that 2008 ranking?

I mean, if we are going back to 2008 to suport your argument, then let's go to 2007, when Chud's offense was #8 ... with Derek and the Dominos in the AFC North.

Zombo

• 3 weeks later...

Coaching staff completed:

Cleveland Browns complete coaching staff with the addition of John Settle, Ken Flajole and three others

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

on February 07, 2013 at 3:55 PM, updated February 07, 2013 at 4:51 PM Print

Email

Save Time & Pay Your Utility Bill Online!

Sponsored Link

John Settle has joined coach Rob Chudzinski's staff.

Associated Press

CLEVELAND, Ohio -

Browns coach Rob Chudzinski put the finishing touches on his first coaching today with the addition of running backs coach John Settle, inside linebackers coach Ken Flajole and three others.

The final installment includes assistant strength and conditioning coaches Chris DiSanto and Derik Keyes, and special assistant to the head coach Steve Gera.

“The additions of Ken and John, as well as Chris, Derik and Steve, round out what I believe is an extremely strong group of coaches with diverse backgrounds, covering many years of experience at both the NFL and collegiate levels,” Browns coach Rob Chudzinski said in a release. “They are all outstanding teachers and leaders who will bring out the best in our players.''

Flajole, who spent 2012 as the Saints' secondary coach, brings 36 years of coaching experience to the Browns. Prior to joining the Saints, he spent three seasons (2009-11) as defensive coordinator with the Rams and six seasons as Panthers' linebackers coach (2003-08).

He's also coached with the Seahawks (1999-2002) and Packers (1998). In Seattle, he spent three seasons as secondary coach and one with the linebackers. In Green Bay, he was a defensive assistant.

“Ken is a highly regarded coach with an extensive resume in the NFL. He has achieved success as a position coach and coordinator in the league,'' said Chudzinski. "Like other members of our defensive staff, he has experience working in several different schemes, an attribute which will be valuable as we develop the Browns’ defense.''

Settle spent the past two seasons (2011-12) in the same capacity with the Carolina Panthers, where he worked under then coordinator Chudzinski. He broke into the pro coaching ranks with the Browns in 1995, when he was an offensive assistant/special teams quality control coach. Current Browns Vice President -- Player Personnel Mike Lombardi was on the staff when Settle was here in 1995. Settle then moved with the Browns to Baltimore, where he coached the Ravens in 1996 and 1997.

"I have been with John the last two years in Carolina, and know first-hand the type of coach that he is,'' Chudzinski said. "His players have always been productive and respond well to his teaching methods.”

In Settle’s first season with the Panthers, the team made NFL history as they became the first club to feature three 700-yard rushers. DeAngelo Williams (836), Jonathan Stewart (761) and Cam Newton (706) each reached the mark as the team also set a club record for average per rush attempt (5.4).

All told, the Panthers rushed for 2,408 yards in 2011, third-most in franchise history. Prior to his stint in Carolina, Settle spent five seasons (2006-10) in the same capacity at the University of Wisconsin.

Signed as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Appalachian State by the Falcons in 1987, Settle started 29 of 46 games over six seasons, spending four years with the Falcons from 1987-90 and two with the Redskins from 1991-92. He was voted to the Pro Bowl following the 1988 season when he became the first undrafted player since 1970 to rush for 1,000 yards.

Settle, who replaces Gary Brown, takes over a group that includes No. 3 overall pick Trent Richardson, and 2010 second-round Montario Hardesty. Richardson rushed for 950 yards and 11 TDs as a rookie.

DiSanto and Keyes will work under new strength coach Brad Roll, who has 19 years NFL experience. DiSanto spent the 2012 season as assistant strength coach at the University of California. Before that, he spent four seasons in that capacity with the Raiders. Keyes was assistant strength coach last season the Texans.

Gera spent the last six years (2007-12) as an offensive assistant the Chargers, where he worked under current Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner and Chudzinski. There, he assisted the coaching staff with scouting and film breakdown. Before that, he served four years in the United States Marine Corps, including two tours in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. As a decorated Captain in the Marines, Gera earned eight medals during his military career.

Davis to Eagles

Former Browns linebackers coach Billy Davis, who spent the past two seasons here under Pat Shurmur, has been hired as the Eagles defensive coordinator, according to Reuben Frank of CSN Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, Davis will be reunited with Shurmur, who's the Eagles new offensive coordinator.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/02/cleveland_browns_hire_former_p.html

Archived