THE BROWNS BOARD

Maualuga

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Maybe ballpeen was right...

From Tony Pauline's Draft Risers & Sliders:

Sliders

Rey Maualuga/LB/USC: Maualuga looked rusty today, both physically and mentally. He's not in the best of shape and was very hesitant to make decisions on the field. Maualuga seemed to get his bearings as the day proceeded, but his play was not reminiscent of a potential top-five pick.

And here's Scott Wright's impression from the weigh-in:

Rey Maualuga

Notes: Disappointing with a small lower body.

Rotoworld adds:

During the weigh-in, Maualuga admitted he "just put my head down and just made sure I found the exit."

And Brent "SOBO" Sobleski says Rey is "a different cat" whose personality is rubbing some teams the wrong way.

All in all, sounds like things aren't going too well for Rey Rey.

I liked this:

Rashad Jennings/RB/Liberty: Jennings is the top small school player in Mobile this week and proved as much in Day 1. His 234-pound frame looked impressive this morning during weigh-ins, then Jennings looked athletic and fast on the field at practice. He has a burst through the hole and looks frighteningly powerful running in the open field. Jennings also caught the ball well and stood out in blocking drills.

Check him out on You tube. It's his junior season. I did it a month or so ago. He is a beast. Runs a bit high but he is a big kid.

Guest Aloysius

Hey, if Rey slides to us in Round 2, I'd be all for taking him ;)

Rashad Jennings is making himself a lot of money. If he runs a good 40 at the Combine, he'll be a 2nd Round pick.

Guest Aloysius

LOL

Even for a confident guy like Southern Cal linebacker Rey Maualuga, it’s tough to go through the ritual facing NFL prospects at scouting events like the Senior Bowl.

This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.

When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.

“I was nervous,” Maualuga said. “I was peeing myself.”

Rey is extremely over-hyped (mostly by fans and the media.) He runs himself out of plays on a regular basis but gets bailed out by being surrounded by what is possibly the most talented defense in college football history.

He plays for U$C, has a "personality", and when he actually does end up in the right spot to actually make a play he does so in a very physical fashion......so all the media falls in love with him and he's propped up as the next [insert game-changing LB here.]

He's a great athlete, but just an above average football player whose athleticism has been showcased with the support of that dominating defense, masking his shortcomings.

And this isn't just my take on him.

I don't think he's going to go anywhere near as high as the media (up to this point) has projected, and rightfully so.

"This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.

When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look."

Man, think of how crazy that scene is. Imagine how nervous 95% of those kids are. Walking down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.......weird. I understand why it's necessary (millions of dollars), but it still doesn't take away from the weirdness factor.

Guest Aloysius

Nerve-wracking? Yes. But if you spend enough time in the weight room, you shouldn't have a problem.

And it's not like USC doesn't have a good training staff. Matthews and Cushing both looked solid - Chris Steuber said that Cush looked like an action figure.

Sounds like Rey didn't prepare as much. Given his upside, it's disappointing that he wouldn't do everything he could to perfect his physique.

The whole culture of these things is to find something wrong with players. It isn't trying to find good things about players, it is trying to find flaws.

The more times you expose yourself to such critique, the more chances you take to drop in the eyes of someone.

To me, the board is pretty much set after all the playing is done. Everybody has some sort of order established. Then every year you read about guys rising....but for every riser, you have a guy who falls, and to me, the guys falling is more responsible for others rising than anything they really did. Every once in a while you have some guy who comes out of the woodwork and does something special, but I really don't think there are that many real surprises other than being surprised a guy really doesn't run very well or doesn't look good in his underwear.

If you have a solid first round grade going in to these things, it doesn't really help all that much even if you play well....that is what you are supposed to do isn't it? You are exposing yourself to way more negative than possible gain.

Have a average practice, or walk out there with skinny legs and all of a sudden people forget what they saw on film.

The whole culture of these things is to find something wrong with players. It isn't trying to find good things about players, it is trying to find flaws.

The more times you expose yourself to such critique, the more chances you take to drop in the eyes of someone.

To me, the board is pretty much set after all the playing is done. Everybody has some sort of order established. Then every year you read about guys rising....but for every riser, you have a guy who falls, and to me, the guys falling is more responsible for others rising than anything they really did. Every once in a while you have some guy who comes out of the woodwork and does something special, but I really don't think there are that many real surprises other than being surprised a guy really doesn't run very well or doesn't look good in his underwear.

If you have a solid first round grade going in to these things, it doesn't really help all that much even if you play well....that is what you are supposed to do isn't it? You are exposing yourself to way more negative than possible gain.

Have a average practice, or walk out there with skinny legs and all of a sudden people forget what they saw on film.

while I agree that these things are to findd something wrong with players....ALL players are under the same scrutiny...and ALL players are VERY AWARE that this is the case.

So, with that said, it speaks VOLUMES about a player that allows himself to be less than his best at any of these events...especially one that he can control like these walk throughs.

Anyone can have a bad game....but it takes a conscious decision NOT to stay in shape for a simple walk through.

That is like you or me showing up for an interview with a crumpled suit on and no proper references. You are saying you don't care enough to come in and show you are qualified for the job. IMHO.

Rey is extremely over-hyped (mostly by fans and the media.) He runs himself out of plays on a regular basis but gets bailed out by being surrounded by what is possibly the most talented defense in college football history.

He plays for U$C, has a "personality", and when he actually does end up in the right spot to actually make a play he does so in a very physical fashion......so all the media falls in love with him and he's propped up as the next [insert game-changing LB here.]

He's a great athlete, but just an above average football player whose athleticism has been showcased with the support of that dominating defense, masking his shortcomings.

And this isn't just my take on him.

I don't think he's going to go anywhere near as high as the media (up to this point) has projected, and rightfully so.

I concur Timmay.

while I agree that these things are to findd something wrong with players....ALL players are under the same scrutiny...and ALL players are VERY AWARE that this is the case.

So, with that said, it speaks VOLUMES about a player that allows himself to be less than his best at any of these events...especially one that he can control like these walk throughs.

Anyone can have a bad game....but it takes a conscious decision NOT to stay in shape for a simple walk through.

That is like you or me showing up for an interview with a crumpled suit on and no proper references. You are saying you don't care enough to come in and show you are qualified for the job. IMHO.

No doubt...and I will add he probably didn't just get out of shape.

It has taken me years to get in my shape...rather round ;) ...It didn't just happen in the last 2-3 weeks.

Guest Aloysius
2009 Senior Bowl Monday Practice: It's difficult to gauge linebackers on the first day of all-star game practices, but there is simply no missing the combination of size and pure athleticism in Southern California's Brian Cushing. While teammate Rey Maualuga generates most of the attention, Cushing is incredibly light on his feet considering he is 6-3 and 243 pounds. In drills designed to test agility, flexibility and leaping ability, Cushing consistently graded higher than his teammates.

In high school, Cushing was timed at 3.82 seconds in the short shuttle. That's absolutely freakish.

He's put on about thirty pounds of weight since then, but he seems to have retained a lot of that athleticism.

Guest Aloysius
We're being built the Patriot way now for sure, with a bunch of old comrades from that team's genesis regathering to do it without Belicheck. I'd look for guys like Curry, Cushing, and Barwin more than Rey. I'm totally like minded on that now.

My work is done.

Guest Aloysius

No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

I seriously look for a trade down. we will probably draft a lb in the first round, ...

and it's a draft very deep in linebackers.

Rey has looked like a bigtime player in the past, but then, learning he is considered to be small

lower body and a good bit of a screwball,,,

trading down, even with curry there, seems like the Browns could pick up a few very serious extra picks. like

an extra second rounder, etc... we could still easily nab a Mathews or a Cushing later on in the first....

seems like both may not be there in the second if they have a great combine etc.

but to nab the rb Jennings or another linebacker AND a RT in the second round? The Browns need some extra picks in this draft. A ton of

really terrific players will be going in the third round, so trade Da for a 3rd rounder, hopefully.

happens every year, Rey and Laurnietis sp? fall, and guys like Orakpo, Mathews, and Cushing climb like crazy.

No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mangini's short history in N.Y. showed he loved wheeling and dealing. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them trade down to pick up extra picks. Especially considering they don't have a third round pick.

Guest Aloysius
I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Me too. Then again, questions about Jenkins' long speed may put him out of consideration. IIRC, only a poorly-thrown Colt McCoy pass prevented Jenkins from getting beat deep in the bowl game.

Also, it'll be important to see how Jenkins times in the short shuttle. Mangini seems to value that drill when evaluating DB's & receivers. For instance, Darrell Revis had a very good 4.08 time, and safety Eric Smith's 3.97 at his pro day was freakish/elite.

I'm planning on doing a longer writeup on this (and how it could affect the guys we pick) sometime closer to the Combine.

Me too. Then again, questions about Jenkins' long speed may put him out of consideration. IIRC, only a poorly-thrown Colt McCoy pass prevented Jenkins from getting beat deep in the bowl game.

Also, it'll be important to see how Jenkins times in the short shuttle. Mangini seems to value that drill when evaluating DB's & receivers. For instance, Darrell Revis had a very good 4.08 time, and safety Eric Smith's 3.97 at his pro day was freakish/elite.

I'm planning on doing a longer writeup on this (and how it could affect the guys we pick) sometime closer to the Combine.

Yep, And Revis had a great straight 40 time as well. 4.32 or something like that I think. I don't think Jenkins runs that well.

Guest Aloysius

Could be. But I worry about him ending up like Michael Huff: a guy who's athletic enough to play any spot in the secondary, but isn't really good at any of them.

If he runs a slow 40 at the Combine, I'd stay away from him (at least at the 5 spot).

"This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.

When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look."

Man, think of how crazy that scene is. Imagine how nervous 95% of those kids are. Walking down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.......weird. I understand why it's necessary (millions of dollars), but it still doesn't take away from the weirdness factor.

Hopefully they don't put high heels on them, that would just be too weird :D

Could be. But I worry about him ending up like Michael Huff: a guy who's athletic enough to play any spot in the secondary, but isn't really good at any of them.

If he runs a slow 40 at the Combine, I'd stay away from him (at least at the 5 spot).

I think Jenkins will be good. However, I agree that he is not the best player for us at #5. I'm on the Curry bandwagon with you on this.

I wonder how sold Pioli and whoever is coaching there next year will be sold on Tyler Thigpen. He had good numbers this year, but if the braintrust isn't sold on him--and how could you have any faith in Croyle and whichever Huard they have on the roster?--I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for one of the pretty boy QBs to be the face of the franchise.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius
I wonder how sold Pioli and whoever is coaching there next year will be sold on Tyler Thigpen. He had good numbers this year, but if the braintrust isn't sold on him--and how could you have any faith in Croyle and whichever Huard they have on the roster?--I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for one of the pretty boy QBs to be the face of the franchise.

That's what I'm thinking. Thigpen only started having success once they switched to a spread offense, which the new head coach likely won't want to continue using (I'm assuming Herm gets the ax).

On the other hand, there's a rumor circulating that Pioli will hire his father-in-law to be his head coach. And for whatever reason, Mark Sanchez doesn't strike me as a Parcells-type player.

Guest Aloysius

This is a little unfair, but he may be too much of a celebrity type for Parcells. But you're right - it's very hard to know what Tuna wants.

In other news, Rey Maualuga was better today:

Tuesday Practice Notes: Very strong at the point of attack. He is able to move guys, and shed blocks, easily when he gets leverage. He looked stiff and flatfootted at times, but overall had a solid practice.

Archived