THE BROWNS BOARD

general baseball question

Cowsrus

Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

Heidi

Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

Heidi

He's safe.

The only time a runner will be out by a thrown ball hitting him would be in the case of a runner running out of the baseline to obstruct a fielder from catching the thrown ball.....You see often during bunts. A batter lays down a bunt and will run too far to the inside of the base line hoping to cause the Catcher to have a difficult time throwing to the first baseman or whoever is covering first base..

If the runner advancing to first abse is too far inside the basepath and the catcher's thrown ball hits the runner as he is running to first base he is automatically ruled out by the unpire.

Nothing to report on fantasy stuff yet.

He's safe.

The only time a runner will be out by a thrown ball hitting him would be in the case of a runner running out of the baseline to obstruct a fielder from catching the thrown ball.....You see often during bunts. A batter lays down a bunt and will run too far to the inside of the base line hoping to cause the Catcher to have a difficult time throwing to the first baseman or whoever is covering first base..

If the runner advancing to first abse is too far inside the basepath and the catcher's thrown ball hits the runner as he is running to first base he is automatically ruled out by the unpire.

Good question, Heidi, and good answer, OC.

But he's way out in kickball.

Zombo

He's safe.

Thanks OC, I appreciate your answer! I feel kinda stupid though, I shoulda known that. Great answer and explanation! Hang around here long enough and these guys teach ya a few things. Smart bunch!

Heidi

Archived