THE BROWNS BOARD

Ray Lewis to Dallas?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

This is very interesting:

Cowboys interested in Ravens' Lewis?

Word around the NFL is that the Dallas Cowboys are very interested in obtaining Ravens inside linebacker Ray Lewis if he becomes a free agent. The speculation is that the Cowboys are willing to give Lewis a three-year deal worth between $27 and $30 million, with $25 million guaranteed.

Dallas owner Jerry Jones believes his team is in the serious hunt for a Super Bowl title next season, and that Lewis could help solve some of the team's problems inside the locker room.

The Ravens are expected to begin negotiations with Lewis, who is in the last year of his contract, as soon as the season is over. Fellow linebackers Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs are also in the final years of their contracts.

Suggs' decision to play against the Steelers was a courageous one. Oh, and by the way, he happened to come up with two big sacks.

that's pretty much my least favorite scenario for baltimore. it could leave them enough cap space to resign suggs, their center and bart scoot and have enough money left over to sign dwan landry to a long-term deal. i really hope they decide to resign the emotional leader of their defense instead of going with youth.

Guest Aloysius

Good point, JD.

On the other hand, Dallas signing Ray Lewis would likely result in them having to shed Greg Ellis's $4.15M in salary. Ellis is 33, but he's still an effective pass rusher (8 sacks this year). I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him in.

And signing Lewis would give Dallas one of the sickest LB cores ever. Ware's amazing, and Bradie James doesn't get enough attention - he had 116 tackles, 8 sacks, and 6 TFL's playing Ted this year.

Is Dallas looking for an assaisin?

I think they are looking for a little toughness on the defensive side of the ball. They have talent but the unitcould use some toughness. Much as the Browns could use any kind of toughness on either side of the ball.

On the other hand, Dallas signing Ray Lewis would likely result in them having to shed Greg Ellis's $4.15M in salary. Ellis is 33, but he's still an effective pass rusher (8 sacks this year). I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him in.

signing greg ellis on the downside of his career would be fine and dandy, but he's no terrell suggs in the prime of his.

however, i sincerely doubt the ravens let him get away. after this sunday, there's no way they let someone that talented walk, especially when they have to replace a defensive coordinator like ryan.

they'll let either scott or lewis go, but suggs, unfortunately, stays in baltimore. if he doesn't want to sign, they'll franchise him and move him to the NFC.

Guest Aloysius
they'll let either scott or lewis go, but suggs, unfortunately, stays in baltimore. if he doesn't want to sign, they'll franchise him and move him to the NFC.

Here's a crazy scenario for you: Anquan Boldin is TO'ing his way out of Arizona, and Terrell Suggs said last year that he'd like to play for the Cardinals (he grew up in Arizona & played for the Sun Devils).

Could those teams end up swapping elite players?

One problem would be that Baltimore probably can't afford Boldin, so a third team may be needed - one willing to give up at least one 1st Round pick.

Here's a crazy scenario for you: Anquan Boldin is TO'ing his way out of Arizona, and Terrell Suggs said last year that he'd like to play for the Cardinals (he grew up in Arizona & played for the Sun Devils).

One problem would be that Baltimore probably can't afford Boldin, so a third team may be needed - one willing to give up at least one 1st Round pick.

it's a crazy scenario, indeed. i wish the NFL could have trades like this, but with the way the NFL cap works, they're just impossible.

Guest Aloysius
it's a crazy scenario, indeed. i wish the NFL could have trades like this, but with the way the NFL cap works, they're just impossible.

Well, I'm assuming that Boldin won't be on Arizona's roster next year. After that, the only question is whether they can afford Suggs, and that depends on what they do at the QB position and whether they resign Karlos Dansby.

Either way, it definitely is a crazy scenario. It'll only work if Al Davis gets involved.

I remember reading somewhere (a while ago) that Baltimore will not let Lewis go even if they have to franchise him. I will see if I can find the link. He is the heart and soul of there D thought I think. Would be hard to let him walk if I am Ozzie.

I'd be shocked if Harbaugh would want that headache with a second year QB that still has a ton of learning to do. The last thing I'd want Flacco to go through is listening to Anquan Boldin crying that he isn't getting his touches....As a head coach I'd shudder at the thought.

It hurt Philly when TO was there and it sure didn't help Dallas when TO started complaining about Witten getting too many touches.....And that was with two pretty good Qb's throwing the ball. What effect would it have on Flacco?

Guest Aloysius
I'd be shocked if Harbaugh would want that headache with a second year QB that still has a ton of learning to do. The last thing I'd want Flacco to go through is listening to Anquan Boldin crying that he isn't getting his touches....As a head coach I'd shudder at the thought.

It hurt Philly when TO was there and it sure didn't help Dallas when TO started complaining about Witten getting too many touches.....And that was with two pretty good Qb's throwing the ball. What effect would it have on Flacco?

Agreed. In my crazy scenario, I'd have Crazy Al giving up Oakland's 1st for Boldin, which would then be swapped for Baltimore 1st & Terrell Suggs.

Crazy Al gets the superstar receiver he covets, Baltimore gets a top 10 pick, and Arizona gets Terrell Suggs and a late 1st.

Guest Aloysius

Amazing article in The Dallas Morning News about the lack of discipline in Dallas. Under Parcells, players were fined $5,000-$12,000 for missing meetings or treatment sessions. Under Phillips, they're fined $100. Making things worse, Jerry Jones wouldn't let Phillips impose larger fines when chronic tardiness became a problem.

As a result, stuff like this happened:

The team charter left late for road games five times this season because players were late to the airport according to three sources. The total represented more than half of the eight regular season away games. Sources declined to name the late players. The Philadelphia trip was delayed by more than an hour.

The article also makes Tony Romo look really bad:

According to five sources, several offensive players lost respect for Garrett for his failure to corral quarterback Tony Romo in practice. Romo, sources said, often forced throws in practice and often did not treat practice work consistently.

The quarterback's practice habits were so bad, sources said, that they affected the way he played in games and could have factored into the offense's problems.

it's the cowboy way. what they're doing now is tame compared to what they used to do.

scroll down to where it says 'some more fascinating tidbits' if you want to skip the story about michael irvin stabbing a teammate in the neck over a barbershop chair. there's a huge list of the '90s cowboys ridiculous exploits that make being late for meetings and shoddy practice habits look like belichick is running the team.

however, a lack of discipline is a serious problem, but i'm also not at all surprised. wade phillips is a players' coach. he had to get that rep somehow.

signing greg ellis on the downside of his career would be fine and dandy, but he's no terrell suggs in the prime of his.

however, i sincerely doubt the ravens let him get away. after this sunday, there's no way they let someone that talented walk, especially when they have to replace a defensive coordinator like ryan.

Ray Lewis is on the backside of his career. There have been videos posted of this very season where he's missing tackles left and right and looking very old. I'm not saying he's not still a solid MLB, he is and if anything because of his vocal leading and knowledge of the game. You also don't want Greg Ellis. If I were a Browns fan I'd be doing everything I could to get the organization to take a serious look at Julius Peppers but there are going to be A LOT of suitors in that race and I'm sure he'll get an ungodly amount of money because of it....at least in this regard he'll actually be worth the money unlike the terribly over paid Dante Stallworth.

Guest Aloysius

People wrote off Greg Ellis when he popped an Achilles a few years back. But he responded by notching 20.5 sacks in the last two years.

Sure, he's getting older, but he could be an effective situational rusher for us. Besides Bertrand Berry, there isn't much rush talent behind Suggs and Peppers available in free agency.

Archived