THE BROWNS BOARD

One good thing....

WPB Dawg Fan

The one good thing about this past Sunday is the fact that the Browns can now have FREE ACCESS to Kokinis. We no longer have to worry about if the Ravens want to keep him locked away for the next two weeks. It will allow (if he is hired) him to get on board with his new coaches and start laying out a plan for our off-season a full two weeks earlier (at a minimum) than had the Ravens gone on to the SB.

Looking around the league and seeing how other teams are attempting to fill in their coaching/gm positions...I am starting to think that the Browns and Lerner in particular have addressed this with the PROPER approach...both in selection and speed of the process.

I will be further impressed if Kokinis is signed and delivered by the end of this week.

The one good thing about this past Sunday is the fact that the Browns can now have FREE ACCESS to Kokinis. We no longer have to worry about if the Ravens want to keep him locked away for the next two weeks. It will allow (if he is hired) him to get on board with his new coaches and start laying out a plan for our off-season a full two weeks earlier (at a minimum) than had the Ravens gone on to the SB.

Looking around the league and seeing how other teams are attempting to fill in their coaching/gm positions...I am starting to think that the Browns and Lerner in particular have addressed this with the PROPER approach...both in selection and speed of the process.

I will be further impressed if Kokinis is signed and delivered by the end of this week.

George Kokinis, the Baltimore Ravens' director of pro personnel, is expected to fly to Cleveland today for a second interview for the Browns' general manager vacancy.

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer says Kokinis will meet with Browns owner Randy Lerner and if all goes well, the Browns will offer him the position and Kokinis "will accept."

"If (Kokinis leaves for the Browns' job), Baltimore is losing a good person," Ravens safety Jim Leonhard said following Baltimore's 23-14 loss to Pittsburgh in Sunday night's AFC Championship game. "I know he was the man instrumental in getting me to Baltimore. This season has revived my career. I enjoyed every moment of this season."

The newspaper reports that after the game, Kokinis told a Cleveland reporter: "I'm sure I'll be seeing you around in the future."

Kokinis, 41, began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991.

SportingNews.com

Guest Aloysius

I was kind of disappointed with the Mangini hiring, but I think I'm starting to come around. The Mangini troika of Ozzie's pro personnel guy (Kokinis), Phil's draft guy (McCreight), and Mangini making final decisions could actually work.

I hope McCreight doesn't get pushed out by Kokinis. If that happens, I'll go back to being skeptical of Lerner's moves.

I was kind of disappointed with the Mangini hiring, but I think I'm starting to come around. The Mangini troika of Ozzie's pro personnel guy (Kokinis), Phil's draft guy (McCreight), and Mangini making final decisions could actually work.

I hope McCreight doesn't get pushed out by Kokinis. If that happens, I'll go back to being skeptical of Lerner's moves.

Terry Pluto thinks that James "Shack" Harris will come in and help out Kokinis if hired..I hope McCreight sticks around too...btw...did you see Grossi's article yesterday?Rumor is Pioli waits until 2010 and hires Bill Cowher :(

I could care less if deadwieght McCrate is run out of town..if kokinis sees him as a problem he has to go if he stays im good with that as well though he is a unsavory sort in some of his past dealings for cleveland..

I cant help but think randy has thrown a nice team together that should solve this clubs biggest and most pressing ailments.. 2 thumbs up for randy lerner!

Now lets get that defense growlin and barkin!

Guest Aloysius
Terry Pluto thinks that James "Shack" Harris will come in and help out Kokinis if hired..I hope McCreight sticks around too...btw...did you see Grossi's article yesterday?Rumor is Pioli waits until 2010 and hires Bill Cowher :(

Makes a lot of sense. Pioli is said to have wanted McDaniels or Ferentz. McDaniels got a HC job before Pioli could hire him, and Ferentz reportedly isn't willing to leave Iowa.

One potential snag in the Cowher plan is that Herm Edwards is losing a lot of his staff, and it'll be hard for him to hire new people if it's widely assumed that he'll be gone in a year. Because of that, Pioli may be forced to make a coaching move now.

Since day 1 we've had 4 key spots that have been on the job learning, hc, dc, oc, gm. It's been like building a house on quicksand the whole time, no real structure or solid foundation to work off of.

This time around I said I'd be happy so long as 2 of those spots were people with experience AT their position.

Experienced hc and dc, rookie oc that was groomed on BOTH sides of the ball, and one of the yop prospects for gm in the league.

I don't think we're going to light the world on fire any time soon, but we're at least going to be able to build in a positive direction for the first time in 10 years.

Archived