THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini's Successor is...

Adz1987

Rex Ryan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

For those that can't view:

NEW YORK -- The Jets' head-coaching search is over now that the Baltimore Ravens' season is.

The Jets have reached an agreement with Baltimore's defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan, to be their new coach, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The team is expected to make an official announcement Monday afternoon.

Ryan, 46, will replace the fired Eric Mangini and take over a New York team that started last season 8-3 but missed the playoffs with quarterback Brett Favre after a late-season collapse.

It became apparent that Ryan was at the top of the Jets' list of candidates when several other teams filled their head-coaching vacancies and New York's remained open. The Jets needed the Ravens' season to end before they could offer Ryan the job.

Ryan is the son of former NFL coach Buddy Ryan and twin brother of Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rex Ryan has been the Ravens' defensive coordinator for the last four seasons.

Baltimore has been ranked in the top six in total yardage allowed under Ryan, including second overall this season while leading the NFL with 34 takeaways.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh had high praise for Ryan after the team fell one win short of the Super Bowl.

"He should have an opportunity to be a head coach soon," Harbaugh said, "and he's deserving of it."

Ryan, who also interviewed for the St. Louis Rams job that went to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday, impressed the Jets when he met with team officials for several hours earlier this month.

This will be the first head-coaching job for Ryan, who's said to be well-liked among his players because of his straightforward, no-nonsense style.

The Jets interviewed at least five other candidates, including Spagnuolo, Arizona Cardinals assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks and fired Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski.

Which makes me wonder...where's the announcement of Kokinas's hiring? Maybe I'm just being impatient.

a little...but I would expect it this week.

We have him in for a talk TODAY. He should be working on the contract from all accounts...so we should have him aboard no later than Friday...but hopefully be Wednesday.

Which makes me wonder...where's the announcement of Kokinas's hiring? Maybe I'm just being impatient.

George Kokinis, the Baltimore Ravens' director of pro personnel, is expected to fly to Cleveland today for a second interview for the Browns' general manager vacancy.

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer says Kokinis will meet with Browns owner Randy Lerner and if all goes well, the Browns will offer him the position and Kokinis "will accept."

"If (Kokinis leaves for the Browns' job), Baltimore is losing a good person," Ravens safety Jim Leonhard said following Baltimore's 23-14 loss to Pittsburgh in Sunday night's AFC Championship game. "I know he was the man instrumental in getting me to Baltimore. This season has revived my career. I enjoyed every moment of this season."

The newspaper reports that after the game, Kokinis told a Cleveland reporter: "I'm sure I'll be seeing you around in the future."

Kokinis, 41, began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991.

SportingNews.com

Archived