THE BROWNS BOARD

Senior Bowl

Guest Aloysius

The OT scouting is interesting. Perhaps Shaffer's job isn't too safe...

That and we are thin at the position...Tucker is really the back-up, and that is becoming less and less a option.

I know I said it before, but if Andre Smith is there when we draft, I think there is a good chance we will take him.

Schaffer is then the back-up at RT or starter at RT if Smith had to cover Thomas' position.

I also think Schaffer might be able to spell at guard.

O-line isn't a area of strength....so....sure, we probably aren't going O-line in the 1st, but we need a center, guard, and better RT....sooner or later we need to start drafting some guys who can fill those areas.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry English continues to impress:

• Northern Illinois's Larry English is separating himself from another undersized defensive end/outside linebacker prospect -- Connecticut's Cody Brown -- and working his way into the first day of the draft. English is playing with more of an edge and showing better upper body than Brown as a run defender. He has also been a step quicker around the corner than Brown has been in rushing the passer.

Sounds like a solid guy to watch.

Guest Aloysius
Mangini runs a zone and most of the time a cover 2, Chung would be a very nice pickup at SS. If you are concerned about his size then Chip Vaughn has the size and is a big hitter, but you sacrifice some coverage skills. Then again, Jones sucks at coverage and both guys are bigger hitters then him and better in coverage. Plus Jones wants a hugh contract for 4 years.

Vaughn reminds me of a healthy Sean Jones. And he was good on Tuesday:

• Wake Forest S Chip Vaughn intercepted a deep ball in which he went up and just took it away from the receiver. Pretty impressive.

Guest Aloysius
B.J. Raji blew up Alex Mack on a run play. It's hard to tell if Mack has marginal strength or if B.J. Raji's just so good that he's stealing the top center prospect's lunch money.

B.J. Raji blew up Alex Mack on a run play. It's hard to tell if Mack has marginal strength or if B.J. Raji's just so good that he's stealing the top center prospect's lunch money.

ESPN is starting to say Raji may be a top 5 guy. he is one of the top risers right now:

Per McShay:

On Monday, we said that Boston College DT B.J. Raji is the clear front-runner to emerge as the top prospect at lineman -- defensive or offensive -- in his class by the time we leave Mobile. After this morning's practice, we now feel that he is one of the top two or three prospects here regardless of position. Raji continues to showcase his rare blend of size, burst and agility, and he manhandled highly touted Oregon C Max Unger on more than one occasion. In fact, he got under Unger's pads, drove him back and then put him on his back on one snap during one-on-one pass-rushing drills.

If we were looking DT...he would be a target for sure.

Guest Aloysius
ESPN is starting to say Raji may be a top 5 guy. he is one of the top risers right now:

[...]

Problem is he's more of a NT, and we've already got one of those in Shaun Rogers.

But if Curry's gone, he may be the highest rated guy on our board.

Per McShay:

More good news for us. If Raji really is that impressive, maybe we entice someone in the top 10 to move up and get him. We may be able to get that 3rd rounder even if we can't get it for DA.

I love the Curry idea but I love the multiple good prospects idea more. If someone falls in love with whoever is left at 5, I'd trade down in a minute to pick up another 3. It really does seem like there are prospects everywhere in this draft and if we're ever going to move down but still get better, this year seems like the year.

Or, we just take Raji and switch to the 4-3 we've been talking about forever. Imagine the Beast and the Little Beast side by side? Holy hell, if that's not worth giving up the 3-4, what is?

Guest Aloysius

Here's a cleaned-up version of what I saw this morning:

• B.J. Raji blew up Alex Mack on a run play. It's hard to tell if Mack has marginal strength or if B.J. Raji's just so good that he's stealing the top center prospect's lunch money.

• Zack Follett doesn't appear to be adjusting well to ILB. He's been taking bad angles and not changing directions well. On one play, he did correctly read a screen pass, but he wasn't able to wrap-up and make the stop.

• Cody Brown stutter-stepped, then bull-rushed the hell out of Xavier Fulton. He also made what would have been a tackle for loss in scrimmage. Really like this kid.

• In agility drills, Tyrone McKenzie looked fantastic, but word is he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. In another drill, the coaches got after him for playing with too high a pad level.

• Also in agility drills, Clint Sintim looked a little slow and stiff. Zack Follett didn't seem to have good feet and generally looked unathletic.

• In one on one's, Clint Sintim beat Phil Loadholt with a nice inside move. Sintim also did a good job bull-rushing Xavier Fulton. And in scrimmage, Clint Sintim blew up a shovel pass play, looking like the top-flight 3-4 OLB prospect that he is.

• Connor Barwin lost two out of three matchups with Connecticut OT William Beatty (and didn't look very good doing so). However, Barwin was later able to use Wimbley shoulder-ducks to get past Phil Loadholt on successive matchups.

• Tim Jamison was also able to beat Phil Loadholt, who's going to get his quarterback killed.

• Larry English looked good beating Xavier Fulton on successive matchups, displaying a sweet spin move on the second one.

• Mitch King beat OG-OT Kraig Urbik with an outside move. I wonder if King will start getting looks at DE.

• Evander "Ziggy" Hood beat Trevor Canfield with a nice swim move, but Canfield was able to neutralize Hood's patented spin move.

• Mike Mayock said that William Moore is being exposed in man coverage. He even said that he heard some scouts saying he may have to convert to linebacker.

• Oregon State CB Keenan Lewis effectively mirrored slowish Ramses Barden in press coverage

Problem is he's more of a NT, and we've already got one of those in Shaun Rogers.

But if Curry's gone, he may be the highest rated guy on our board.

I wouldn't worry much about having both him and Rogers...they would both find the field in some manner.

I don't know much about this guys speed and agility, but I don't think Rogers would be a liability if we put him on the edge.

Guest Aloysius

Rogers would have to lose at least 30 pounds. You can't play a lot of 3-4 DE at 365.

And we're likely to get lighter at DE now that we're moving out of Romeo's fat guy 3-4. Putting Raji (6'1", 334 lbs.) there wouldn't achieve that.

He'll be a great NT somewhere, but I don't think he's a fit for us.

Rogers would have to lose at least 30 pounds. You can't play a lot of 3-4 DE at 365.

And we're likely to get lighter at DE now that we're moving out of Romeo's fat guy 3-4. Putting Raji (6'1", 334 lbs.) there wouldn't achieve that.

He'll be a great NT somewhere, but I don't think he's a fit for us.

Totally agree. We will be looking for a guy in the 280-305 range with good lateral speed to help uncover our OLB's. I would like to see Purcell get a chance, and see a little more of Thomas as well.

We will not draft a nose tackle or an offensive tackle because of a guy named Joe and a guy named Shaun. No chance. No way, no how. Too many needs to start piling cap dollars in small areas like that.

If there were zero linebackers, running backs, and safeties, if they all went to the island from "Lost," then we could talk.

Unlike you, I am not predicting anything and everything, and if you think DE and OT are small areas, you don't know much about football.

Hey, John, you mentioned Jasper Brinkley. Isn't he the MASSIVE ILB? What do you know about him and where is he expected to go?

Yeah, I have been on him for a while...I think his downslide is mostly due to an injury late last year.

6'2" 269 lbs

4.74 40

2nd Team SEC

right now he is a 6th through FA type player...probably 6th or 7th unless his workouts are monster.

Guest Aloysius

Brinkley wasn't very impressive in the Shrine Game practices. Slow recognition skills could be his downfall.

One thing he's got over Maualuga: he's a chiseled 6'2", 262 lbs. Very low body fat.

Guest Aloysius
Jasper is a good player...I worry about his speed a bit..big hitter though

I think part of the reason why I'm not high on Brinkley is because Eric Norwood was the SC linebacker I wanted. Of the two, Norwood's the much better player.

I think part of the reason why I'm not high on Brinkley is because Eric Norwood was the SC linebacker I wanted. Of the two, Norwood's the much better player.

though norwood's the better player and can play all the time, do you not think that brinkley can be a good situational guy?

because his size is daunting.

Guest Aloysius

I could see him being an asset in goal line situations, kind of like what the Chargers do with Brandon Siler.

But I wonder how much better he'll be in those situations than a healthy Beau Bell. He's certainly bigger, but I don't know how much better a run-stuffer he is.

rey's looked really good as an edge rusher today. he's beaten TEs regularly to both the outside and inside.

he's using an inside rip move that he sets up with an initial outside rush with incredibly effectiveness. he's made it look easy at least twice in a row.

WILLIAM MOORE

Safety, Missouri

“(He) probably is my most disappointing player,” Mayock said. “After his junior year I thought he might be a top-20 pick. He came back for his senior year and he did not play well. He fought through some injuries. It looks to me that he might be more of a linebacker than a safety. He’s not coming out of his breaks. He doesn’t run well. There is a buzz around here that he might be a linebacker.”

via here.

The Panthers' Thomas Davis made the transition quite successfully. Could Moore play ILB for us?

@ mz the pussy: normally, guys who transition from S to LB are limited to playing for 4-3 or cover 2 teams because they can't add the bulk necessary to be big enough for the 3-4. he'd have to add at least 15 pounds of muscle at the very least, more like 25 to get up to 255, and learn a completely new position. at least a WLB in the 4-3 has similar duties to a safety; stop the run, cover a RB. 3-4 WLBs have to blitz a lot more.

Archived