THE BROWNS BOARD

Chase Daniel sinking in the East-West Shrine game

OconRecon

The guy can't go under center to save his life. Today's QB stats so far:

EAST Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

Brian Hoyer 1/1 27 27.0 0 0

Hunter Cantwell 1/2 22 11.0 0 0

Chase Daniel 2/9 1 0.1 0 0 ...Yep, that's 2 for 9 for 1 yard.

WEST Passing

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

Tom Brandstater 10/19 159 8.4 1 0

Stephen McGee 4/7 43 6.1 0 0

Mike Reilly 0/2 0 0.0 0 1

Team 14/28 202 7.2 1 1

I know there's the "let's look at his body of work" thing. But, I'm not sure he even has a shot at "Mr. Irrelevant".

Guest Aloysius

He also looked bad during practices this week. You're right about him being a late round/UDFA type.

Nice TD run by Tyrell Sutton. He sure is physical for a guy his size.

I used the DVR so I can watch plays over and over. Still watching it.

OSU's Alex Boone has been fantastic. I've been pleasantly surprised up to this point. He is dominating whoever lines up across from him.

I'd love to see him make the switch to the right side. If he goes in the 3rd as some are saying, he could be a real steal.

Guest Aloysius
I used the DVR so I can watch plays over and over. Still watching it.

I envy you. I DVR'ed it planning to watch it later tonight, but I recorded the wrong channel.

I think ESPN2 is reairing a shortened version of the game at 1 AM EST.. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch the 1st half then.

I envy you. I DVR'ed it planning to watch it later tonight, but I recorded the wrong channel.

I think ESPN2 is reairing a shortened version of the game at 1 AM EST.. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch the 1st half then.

It is fun...Hit the slow motion and isolate. Can learn a lot.

This Vollmer kid, Right offensive tackle from Houston. Wow, does he look solid.

Guest Aloysius

I've been isolating more on d-line guys. Jarron Gilbert Ra'Shon Harris definitely looks like a 3-4 DE. He's consistently held up two blockers & looked good in the run game. However, he doesn't look to be that refined as a pass-rusher.

I've been isolating more on d-line guys. Jarron Gilbert definitely looks like a 3-4 DE. He's consistently held up two blockers & looked good in the run game. However, he doesn't look to be that refined as a pass-rusher.

Lol...I've been doing the opposite to this point...O-line guys.....I'll look for Gilbert. I just started the 2nd half.

Guest Aloysius
Good day for Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State's big back who finally had a big year.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle talked to scouts at the practices, who said that Johnson would fit well in Houston's one-cut zone blocking scheme. That's the system we'd be using if Tom Cable is brought in to be our o-line coach (which seems increasingly unlikely).

Guest Aloysius
What number is Gilbert wearing for the west? I can't find him. he may just be sitting for this current drive.

Hmm...I thought he was wearing #95, but the roster says that's Ra'Shon Harris. I'll have to recheck it when the game's on at 1.

Guest Aloysius
Fresno's state's QB Brandstater looks like he could be make an NFL team. Stands tall in the pocket. Big arm.

As you likely saw after you posted this, he also made some DA-like boneheaded decisions.

Of all the QB's out there today, Stephen McGee is the developmental QB I'd bring in.

Guest Aloysius

Notes on a few more guys who looked good:

• Marlon Lucky, RB, Nebraska
    • 5'11", 212 lbs., 4.57 40
    • Projected: UDFA
    • WPB Dawg Fan was right about this guy. When I watched Lucky earlier this year, I saw a slow, not very elusive RB whose only redeeming quality was his soft hands. But now that he's gotten over his turf toe issues, he looks like a running back capable of contributing at the next level. He's a good option as a 3rd down back/solid backup.

• Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    • 6'5", 289 lbs., 5.09 40
    • Projected: late Round 2/early Round 3
    • Meredith had a nice chop block on Marlon Lucky's TD run. His size & athletic profile make him a perfect for an Alex Gibbs-style ZBS.

• Bear Pascoe, TE, Fresno State
    • 6'5", 257 lbs., 4.86 40
    • Projected: late Round 5/early Round 6
    • Pascoe was dominant as a run blocker & made a great catch in traffic. Would love to see us bring this guy in to replace Heiden.

• Rashon Harris, DT, Oregon
    • 6'4", 300 lbs. 5.09 40
    • Projected: Round 7/UDFA
    • Harris definitely looks like a 3-4 DE. He's consistently held up two blockers & looked good in the run game. However, he doesn't look to be that refined as a pass-rusher. Reminds me a little of Robaire Smith.

He also looked bad during practices this week. You're right about him being a late round/UDFA type.

Nice TD run by Tyrell Sutton. He sure is physical for a guy his size.

I don't think being 5'11" stacks the deck in his favor anyway. The one thing I have to caution people about was that Charlie Frye was the MVP of an All Star game; so be careful not to make too much of a good game. At least in this case, Aloy mentions the practices looked like the game. I thought Troy Smith was WAY better and he was about an inch taller if we can believe the height things for guys being 6'. That said, if Smith didn't go until round 3 or 4 (can't remember which) - I don't see this kid getting drafted until round 7 if he's lucky.

There was a Nebraska RB that caught my eye: Marlon Lucky. He had some giddy up and gears we could use. Same size as Steve Slaton. Understanding that, we could use a "Lucky" surprise after round 1.

- Tom F. (It seems like GREAT RBs are drafted after round 1 every year and that's a good thing for us. At least I hope it is)

Guest Aloysius

From what I've heard, the practices matter much more than the game when it comes to scouting & draft position.

About Daniel: it's not just that he measured in a 6'0" at the weigh-in. It's that he's got really short legs for 6' quarterback and a very low release point; reports were that he threw the ball in practice like a 5'7" QB. IIRC, at least one of Matt Shaughnessy's two tipped balls was on a Chase Daniel pass (btw, Shaughnessy also had a TFL in what was a quietly solid game for him).

Add in Daniel's questionable decision-making and an average arm, and you've got a fringe late round/UDFA prospect. The only positive thing I read this week is that he's very good at throwing on the run.

However, there are reports that he'll be participating in the Senior Bowl this week. If that's the case, he could have a chance to rehabilitate his draft stock a bit.

Guest Aloysius
There was a Nebraska RB that caught my eye: Marlon Lucky. He had some giddy up and gears we could use. Same size as Steve Slaton. Understanding that, we could use a "Lucky" surprise after round 1.

- Tom F. (It seems like GREAT RBs are drafted after round 1 every year and that's a good thing for us. At least I hope it is)

He's actually a little bigger than Slaton - he came in at 5'11", 212 lbs. at the weigh-in.

WPB Dawg Fan's been calling this guy a sleeper RB prospect for a while now. Last night, Lucky showed some things that made me think he could be right.

There should also be some nice Day Two RB's to watch in the Senior Bowl: Rashad Jennings (who could go anywhere from the 2nd to 4th Round) and Andre Brown are two big backs we may be looking at.

He's actually a little bigger than Slaton - he came in at 5'11", 212 lbs. at the weigh-in.

WPB Dawg Fan's been calling this guy a sleeper RB prospect for a while now. Last night, Lucky showed some things that made me think he could be right.

There should also be some nice Day Two RB's to watch in the Senior Bowl: Rashad Jennings (who could go anywhere from the 2nd to 4th Round) and Andre Brown are two big backs we may be looking at.

Damn...I wish I could have seen the game. I just REALLY like Lucky's size and speed, and the fact he has soft hands out of the backfield. It would have been nice to see him featured a little bit instead of playing second fiddle like he did after hurting his toe.

All I know is this kid TORE IT UP the year before....and then got the turf toe and was suddenly deligated to nowhere land. He has good speed, agility, hands, and not much wear on the tires.

Hope we pick him up...I honestly see him as a complimentary back in a two back system. Not just a 3rd down guy.

Guest Aloysius

I'd compare Lucky to fellow Cornhusker Correll Buckhalter. Lucky has a little more upright running style, but they're very similar in terms of size and speed.

He could be a complimentary back, but I see him more as a 3rd down back/spot starter. Because of his receiving skills, he may have more value for teams that run a WCO.

Archived