THE BROWNS BOARD

Yesterday Shut Up All The Weeden Haters

Horn of Lake Erie

Yesterday unequivocally, undeniably put to rest the question at Browns QB. Let me point out some facts...

1) Weeden threw for over 300 yards against the Ravens D

2) Weeden could very well have eclipsed 400 yards should some of the knuckleheads the Browns claim to call WRs caught some (TD) throws.

3) Weeden clearly has rhythm with MoMass, Travis, TRich and with Cameron to a limited extent.

And a majority of people on the forum do is sulk about how bad the Browns have already been and how Weeden hasn't turned into Peyton Manning in 4 games of football. The guy has game, and every sportscaster for last night's game felt that Weeden's upside is super high. He's got a cannon, and that was exemplified last night. For you people who are obsessed with short term results (aka the Weeden->Peyton people), in the last two games he has developed from a cannon with no aim to one that can target. He certainly made some mistakes, but which QB, especially rookie, doesn't make mistakes? And, which QB has a worse receiving corp than the Browns? Ummm... the Jags... maybe? The fact that he even remotely makes MoMass look like a solid WR says volumes.

PS: If we could trade for Blackmon (at a low value seeing as he hasn't done anything note worthy to date), this receiving corp would get an incredible boost Just sayin.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha not trying to start an argument here but its pretty obvious you prefer weeden over colt and theres nothing wrong with that. I just dont get some can say "He certainly made some mistakes, but which QB, especially rookie, doesn't make mistakes? And, which QB has a worse receiving corp than the Browns?" ...but are you one of those that are ready to rule colt out after one year and the ridiculous circumstances he had to deal with?

>> Colt has found his level. The Browns couldn't find a trade for him, or otherwise he would be gone.>>

Actually that is not true, Tommy.

While I agree that Weeden is the 'no brainer' choice to play, I was told that the Packers were very interested in acquiring McCoy after the draft. Since this took place in a personal conversation I will only say this guy knows something about the workings of the NFL (PK).

He said the Browns wouldn't / trade him because they couldn't afford to live or die with such an unproven commodity as Weeden. The Packers, of course, were looking for a backup.

PK is also the person who told me that Lerner was going to sell the team and that he never wanted to own it. The quote went something like, "Life was great for Randy - until he inherited the Browns".

PS I believe the new owner will get this franchise on track. 13 years of Lerner ownership takes a while to clean up.

listening to the game they really like weeden the only things the experts agreed on where small things that may prevent him from being great

limited mobility - not something that can be fixed

not a born leader - can not program someone to lead

throws with his eyes closed - just has to keep taking hits untill he realizes that the last one was the worst

Lack of Charisma & Energy - didn't think this was important but they laid it on thick how a wet dish rag can't energize the team

Doesn't recognize coverages - hopefully he will figure this one out soon

They mentioned his completion precentages are pretty low under 50%...we can probably attribute that to drops and the weather a bit.

Like the experts said, he does a real good job of climbing the pocket...saw him step up and back a few times.

Browns with Colt as starter 3-1

You're crazy....the guy is 6-15 as a starter in the NFL and suddenly this year he's going to be 3-1? Maybe we win week 1 with Colt but he doesn't put up the yards passing in any of the rest of the games or the points to be in a position to win those games.

Yesterday unequivocally, undeniably put to rest the question at Browns QB. Let me point out some facts...

There was never a question. But Colt is an excellent backup. All he lacks is an elite arm. Big deal, everybody knows that.

2) Weeden could very well have eclipsed 400 yards should some of the knuckleheads the Browns claim to call WRs caught some (TD) throws.

3) Weeden clearly has rhythm with MoMass, Travis, TRich and with Cameron to a limited extent.

Oh, for cryin out loud. Seriously? . Weeden has a legit RIGHT OFFENSIVE TACKLE to save his life, Colt never did. He had times last night, where he nearly had 8 seconds to throw, like Rothlicksbooger has had most? of the time...... one of the announcer marvel at nearly ten seconds he had once, on Thursday night. And THAT is vs the stupid, nasty, ugly

ratbirds.....

Weeden has Little, Momass (finally growing into it), Gordon,and SPEED in Benjamin, and SPEED in RIchardson. Colt was doing a far better job when he had his big back in the backfield, until he got pouty and "injured", and he was not fast and smart like Richardson. He also didn't have Richardson's work ethic and leadership.Colt has rythm, he just doesn't have the arm to drill.

But, I'm thinkin that Colt was more careful with the football, and knew his limitations a bit more in the speed of the NFL game than Weeden, well,

then again, Weeden has a complete offense around him to do more stuff.....

an intermediate pass between defenders. Weeden would look far worse than Colt this year, with Colt's teammates of the last half season last year.

BECAUSE< the Browns did not have pass protection at RT It shut down runs wide right, it shut down any freakin chance of change of direction by the rb,

and it shut down ANY freakin chance of running a reverse whatever to that side. Most Browns' fans KNOW that the Browns desperately needed a butt kicking

OFFENSIVE RIGHT TACKLE.

The Browns KNEW it, most of us have known it for over a few years... and the Browns finally drafted one, because they KNOW talent and football.

People say Butticheck was a "genius" coach. Maybe now. But when he was with the Browns, he drafted poorly, and had an offensive line

that couldn't pass block or run block. Sounds like Bellichump was a dumbass to me. He went to the Patriots with a lot more talent, and an oline

that could block, and finally he saw the light. Big freakin deal. :angry:

So, I'm all in for Weeden - but to say Weeden threw for 300, because he isn't Colt, is stupid. He has a far more talented class of teammates around him,

perhaps the most important, is Schwartz sp?- the other bookend. Life is a good bit tougher for Joe Thomas - defenses would just laugh and go after Colt

off the right side. Now, that problem has been fixed.

PS: If we could trade for Blackmon (at a low value seeing as he hasn't done anything note worthy to date), this receiving corp would get an incredible boost Just sayin.

Look. Blackmon? Seriously? Have you gone and looked at how unproductive he's been? I say Gordon and Little have higher upsides than Blackmon,

and Benjamin makes me laugh when you talk about trading for Blackmon. Benjamin is a terrific football player, with excellent hands,

and blazing speed, and maturity and love for the game and work ethic....

and you want to trade for Blackmon as a solution to anything?

I mean, really. B)

Who said there was a question?

A lot of people here actually believe there is a chance Colt will be the starter. Colt has found his level. The Browns couldn't find a trade for him, or otherwise he would be gone.

Exactly. I saw Weeden make throws on Thursday night in a driving rain McCoy is utterly incapable of making. Yes, he stared down his receiver for a pick six, but hopefully he'll learn from that mistake. Also looked on that int the ball may have slipped a little- didn't have his normal velocity.

As posted earlier, Weeden does not have a quick release most of the time, he is a day late and a dollar short for this league.

OK, granted Weeden falls short of Dan Marino in that category. I do think he'll learn to recognize coverages and get rid of the ball faster. Problem is he doesn't have a 4 year window to learn that as Joe Flacco did.

There was never a question. But Colt is an excellent backup. All he lacks is an elite arm. Big deal, everybody knows that.

Oh, for cryin out loud. Seriously? . Weeden has a legit RIGHT OFFENSIVE TACKLE to save his life, Colt never did. He had times last night, where he nearly had 8 seconds to throw, like Rothlicksbooger has had most? of the time...... one of the announcer marvel at nearly ten seconds he had once, on Thursday night. And THAT is vs the stupid, nasty, ugly

ratbirds.....

Weeden has Little, Momass (finally growing into it), Gordon,and SPEED in Benjamin, and SPEED in RIchardson. Colt was doing a far better job when he had his big back in the backfield, until he got pouty and "injured", and he was not fast and smart like Richardson. He also didn't have Richardson's work ethic and leadership.Colt has rythm, he just doesn't have the arm to drill.

But, I'm thinkin that Colt was more careful with the football, and knew his limitations a bit more in the speed of the NFL game than Weeden, well,

then again, Weeden has a complete offense around him to do more stuff.....

an intermediate pass between defenders. Weeden would look far worse than Colt this year, with Colt's teammates of the last half season last year.

BECAUSE< the Browns did not have pass protection at RT It shut down runs wide right, it shut down any freakin chance of change of direction by the rb,

and it shut down ANY freakin chance of running a reverse whatever to that side. Most Browns' fans KNOW that the Browns desperately needed a butt kicking

OFFENSIVE RIGHT TACKLE.

The Browns KNEW it, most of us have known it for over a few years... and the Browns finally drafted one, because they KNOW talent and football.

People say Butticheck was a "genius" coach. Maybe now. But when he was with the Browns, he drafted poorly, and had an offensive line

that couldn't pass block or run block. Sounds like Bellichump was a dumbass to me. He went to the Patriots with a lot more talent, and an oline

that could block, and finally he saw the light. Big freakin deal. :angry:

So, I'm all in for Weeden - but to say Weeden threw for 300, because he isn't Colt, is stupid. He has a far more talented class of teammates around him,

perhaps the most important, is Schwartz sp?- the other bookend. Life is a good bit tougher for Joe Thomas - defenses would just laugh and go after Colt

off the right side. Now, that problem has been fixed.

Look. Blackmon? Seriously? Have you gone and looked at how unproductive he's been? I say Gordon and Little have higher upsides than Blackmon,

and Benjamin makes me laugh when you talk about trading for Blackmon. Benjamin is a terrific football player, with excellent hands,

and blazing speed, and maturity and love for the game and work ethic....

and you want to trade for Blackmon as a solution to anything?

I mean, really. B)

Excellent!!!

Hey, we all want the Browns to win. I liked Colt as well, but I am sick of QB talk. Let's win some games.

I'm not blaming QBs for our 0-4 start, just unShurmer.

well if you can't get 300 yards (320 actually) when you throw 52 times, you gotta really suck.

btw, why did we throw the fucking ball 52 times??

i think most people will agree our top 2 qbs are 2 different entities. one is a high risk gunslinger. the other is a low risk scrambling dump off passer. i can't see anything consistent with this offensive system and playcalling since shurmur (actually mike holmgren's puppet) took over as HC. there is no consistency, rhyme or reason to it. is it supposed to be a WCO? are we ground and pound? i mean WTF?

maybe if it was spelled out by the higherups someone could actually render a relevant argument as to why they think 'their' qb is better suited for the job than the other.

right now it makes no difference to me because no one can catch the fucking ball anyways. i say instead of throwing the ball 52 times how about run the freakin ball 52 times. weeden does have the better arm but that's about it. all the other intangibles stack up on mccoy's side. but hey who am i? all i hope for is weeden to stop staring down the receivers, put the ball where only our guy can catch (ah hem) it and show some spark out there. GODFUCKINGDAMNIT!!!

You're crazy....the guy is 6-15 as a starter in the NFL and suddenly this year he's going to be 3-1? Maybe we win week 1 with Colt but he doesn't put up the yards passing in any of the rest of the games or the points to be in a position to win those games.

Passing yards don't mean crap. Weeden is on pace for about 12 TD's and 28 INT's. But apparently he's the answer cause he can throw for 300 yards and Colt can't. The WCO is all about YAC, well, at least it's supposed to be.

Lol, last year we were one TD a game away from being 9-6-1. Colt had us in a lot of games, it's not like we were getting blown out, it's that our defense always got gassed in the 4th quarter and we had no one on offense to make a play consistently. But twice we saw Colt throw to the end zone last year, from 30+ yards out for late TD's to Cribbs and Mo Mass. Colt is a playmaker the way he extends plays and can pick up a 1st down with his feet. He doesn't have a cannon but the WCO doesn't call for one.

With Colt fully healthy and on a contract year, plus our team being a mess, replacing the QB made no sense. You can't justify it.

Passing yards don't mean crap. Weeden is on pace for about 12 TD's and 28 INT's. But apparently he's the answer cause he can throw for 300 yards and Colt can't. The WCO is all about YAC, well, at least it's supposed to be.

Lol, last year we were one TD a game away from being 9-6-1. Colt had us in a lot of games, it's not like we were getting blown out, it's that our defense always got gassed in the 4th quarter and we had no one on offense to make a play consistently. But twice we saw Colt throw to the end zone last year, from 30+ yards out for late TD's to Cribbs and Mo Mass. Colt is a playmaker the way he extends plays and can pick up a 1st down with his feet. He doesn't have a cannon but the WCO doesn't call for one.

With Colt fully healthy and on a contract year, plus our team being a mess, replacing the QB made no sense. You can't justify it.

Well know it all, looks like you're in the extreme minority. And the people who are experts and make the decision do justify. Go back to playing Madden.

Sure, I'm a know it all. Or maybe I've sat back and watched this team replace QB after QB without success. Maybe if we actually built teams around these QB's we'd of made the playoffs one of these years. Our experts have been shitting the bed for about 13 years, so if you want to blindly trust them go ahead. If you're content with a 28 year old QB who probably won't get much better then be content. But I get pissed when my team sucks, I want us to be good and with some gunslinging below-average QB we're not close.

And go back to playing madden? You guys are the ones hung up on PASSING YARDS, I'm hung up on wins. Whose playing video games now?...hmm

You should go look at peyton mannings stats from his first year. I dont want to say anymore, i wouldnt want to overload you.....

Sure, I'm a know it all. Or maybe I've sat back and watched this team replace QB after QB without success. Maybe if we actually built teams around these QB's we'd of made the playoffs one of these years. Our experts have been shitting the bed for about 13 years, so if you want to blindly trust them go ahead. If you're content with a 28 year old QB who probably won't get much better then be content. But I get pissed when my team sucks, I want us to be good and with some gunslinging below-average QB we're not close.

And go back to playing madden? You guys are the ones hung up on PASSING YARDS, I'm hung up on wins. Whose playing video games now?...hmm

if you are pissed about losing, then how could you JUSTIFY colt mccoy being the starter?

if he feels any pressure he breaks down, stops looking down field and then gets crushed. hes small, he has a even smaller arm, and does the one thing you cant do, break down when the protection does. All things that brandon weeden isnt, and doesnt do.....he had pressure on him all day long against the ravens. and even his pick six wasnt a PRESSURE oh god and chuck it, he threw to the wrong spot. it should of been more towards the sideline.

Sure the talent needs upgrading around weeden. mainly at receiver, and guard. But this whole team is learning together.

Get this through your skull.

When you have the change that the BROWNS made, transferring over from MANGINI, to Shurmur, you had an entire CHANGE, meaning the offensive philo changed, as did the defensive PHILO AND SCHEME.

It takes time. And with new ownership coming in, and going to fire holmgren and shurmur, there is no doubt about that, its going to change again, but they arent going to be changing personnel. not like the last guys did.

Who is left on the offense from mangini? Joe? Alex? Ben? mo? thats 7 new guys in 2 years.

And on defense? Rubin? dq? so nine. meanwhile, the 49ers brought back all 11 starters on defense, and added ONE NEW GUY ON OFFENSE. randy moss.....

Continuity. time. Also, our schedule isnt helping us. an opponents combined record of 9-4

When you are a young inexperienced team, opening up with a schedule like that, with BAD COACHING on top of it. Things are going to be bad. They will be MUCH better next year. Reguardless of who is the coach. The experience weeden, trich, schwartz, gordon, benjamin, are all getting this year, is going to be INVALUABLE come next season.

there is no point in bitching. we were effed for the season anyway once we decided to go young. Doubly fucked when we announced an owner ship change right before the start of the season, and triple fucked when we decided we were going so young.

i dont understand why anyone is upset........

You should go look at peyton mannings stats from his first year. I dont want to say anymore, i wouldnt want to overload you.....

Peyton Manning was 22 and threw 26 TD's. He had a sky-high ceiling and was the best prospect since John Elway, WEEDEN IS NOTHING CLOSE TO THE PROSPECT PEYTON MANNING WAS AND IS 7 YEARS OLDER THAN MANNING WAS AS A ROOKIE AND IS WORSE.

if you are pissed about losing, then how could you JUSTIFY colt mccoy being the starter?

if he feels any pressure he breaks down, stops looking down field and then gets crushed. hes small, he has a even smaller arm, and does the one thing you cant do, break down when the protection does. All things that brandon weeden isnt, and doesnt do.....he had pressure on him all day long against the ravens. and even his pick six wasnt a PRESSURE oh god and chuck it, he threw to the wrong spot. it should of been more towards the sideline.

Sure the talent needs upgrading around weeden. mainly at receiver, and guard. But this whole team is learning together.

Get this through your skull.

When you have the change that the BROWNS made, transferring over from MANGINI, to Shurmur, you had an entire CHANGE, meaning the offensive philo changed, as did the defensive PHILO AND SCHEME.

It takes time. And with new ownership coming in, and going to fire holmgren and shurmur, there is no doubt about that, its going to change again, but they arent going to be changing personnel. not like the last guys did.

Who is left on the offense from mangini? Joe? Alex? Ben? mo? thats 7 new guys in 2 years.

And on defense? Rubin? dq? so nine. meanwhile, the 49ers brought back all 11 starters on defense, and added ONE NEW GUY ON OFFENSE. randy moss.....

Continuity. time. Also, our schedule isnt helping us. an opponents combined record of 9-4

When you are a young inexperienced team, opening up with a schedule like that, with BAD COACHING on top of it. Things are going to be bad. They will be MUCH better next year. Reguardless of who is the coach. The experience weeden, trich, schwartz, gordon, benjamin, are all getting this year, is going to be INVALUABLE come next season.

there is no point in bitching. we were effed for the season anyway once we decided to go young. Doubly fucked when we announced an owner ship change right before the start of the season, and triple fucked when we decided we were going so young.

i dont understand why anyone is upset........

Colt McCoy's contract would've been up and we could have moved on with a Matt Barkley or Geno Smith without any question. Now people will ask whether we should move on with Weeden. We could've spent a 1st rounder on a guy like DeCastro or Zeitler and refined our O-line even more.

Colt McCoy's contract would've been up and we could have moved on with a Matt Barkley or Geno Smith without any question. Now people will ask whether we should move on with Weeden. We could've spent a 1st rounder on a guy like DeCastro or Zeitler and refined our O-line even more.

Don't forget: If we spent that #1 on something else other than QB, it would have been either DE [Mercilus, currently a Texan] or LB [Hightower, Pats].

Peyton Manning was 22 and threw 26 TD's. He had a sky-high ceiling and was the best prospect since John Elway, WEEDEN IS NOTHING CLOSE TO THE PROSPECT PEYTON MANNING WAS AND IS 7 YEARS OLDER THAN MANNING WAS AS A ROOKIE AND IS WORSE.

His age has NOTHING to do with it. Lets not forget that he is a rookie......

thats all that matters. Rookie. his age is irrelevant. The quicker you guys get over that, and look at it as Brandon Weeden is a ROOKIE. the better off we will all be. and yes, peyton manning was better, and that BETTER player threw 28 ints. So if he is allowed AS THE MOST PREPARED QB PROSPECT EVER, why are you CRUSHING WEEDEN, a guy you just said is WORSE......

Think about it.....read it again. think about it. its gonna hurt your brain.........

Who is asking if we should move on with weeden? WE ARE MOVING on with weeden. Weeden is getting better, NOT worse. Weeden is going to be here. Some of the receivers wont be, but weeden will. people are crucifying this kid for no reason. All because of his age.

Archived