THE BROWNS BOARD

John Gruden fired by the Bucs

Geech

Gruden manages to field good defenses, but if you're looking at the BIG picture...what has he done? He got the Raiders to the verge but couldn't win it all and he won the Super Bowl with Dungy's pre-built Buccaneers and that was 6 years ago. The NFL is VERY much a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Doug

Yeah I get what you guys are saying, and it's kinda cliche' but I love his fire on the sidelines.

Thats the one thing I really didn't like about Mangini, we got another emotionless coach on Sunday's, and I really think the cats on this team need a fire lit under their asses.

Amen

This was just reported by Adam Schefter on NFL Network.

Shanahan and Gruden...two guys I'd give Lerner's left nut to coach the Browns...

-Al

Gruden never was worth a shiet just a product of players performing ........he was always just another overhyped stunnead.....who happened to be in the right place once

and neither is very good Geech so keep the left nut............my my disappointing on your part

Speculation is Shanahan will end up there..or big d.

Sounds right to me but still thats hard to believe they let gruden go...talk about a big mistake..

Im still betting some on this board that hate mangini now will be drinking his mayonaise in 2 years..;)

Yeah I get what you guys are saying, and it's kinda cliche' but I love his fire on the sidelines.

Thats the one thing I really didn't like about Mangini, we got another emotionless coach on Sunday's, and I really think the cats on this team need a fire lit under their asses.

I've heard that Mangini is a very different locker room presence, and he runs tough training camps. Neither qualities RAC can claim.

Gruden is a Cleveland local guy isn't he? That's one for him. I think Mangini 'gets it', though (witness his sending dinner to the media).

I've heard that Mangini is a very different locker room presence, and he runs tough training camps. Neither qualities RAC can claim.

Gruden is a Cleveland local guy isn't he? That's one for him. I think Mangini 'gets it', though (witness his sending dinner to the media).

Gruden was born in my hometown (Sandusky), but left at an early age.

DWJ

Gruden manages to field good defenses, but if you're looking at the BIG picture...what has he done? He got the Raiders to the verge but couldn't win it all and he won the Super Bowl with Dungy's pre-built Buccaneers and that was 6 years ago. The NFL is VERY much a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Doug

I don't buy the whole "he won with Dungy's players, so what" thing. While it's true that a foundation was in place, he did what Dungy wasn't able to do. His BIG picture includes five division championships in twelve years as a head coach and one Super Bowl ring. Parse the record any way you like, but that's a pretty a-okay BIG picture.

Much of the fan base and media down here don't care for the guy. He treated Alstott and Lynch poorly and that's pretty much enough to get you on the bad side of any Buc fan. I don't think he's a particularly likable man and I'm not at all sorry that he's not going to be our next coach, but Gruden has had a damn successful career.

Beanpot

Speculation is Shanahan will end up there..or big d.

From ESPN....Shanahan said the Bucs have not contacted him and he has never spoken to them.

It's believed that Raheem Morris is going to be the Bucs next HC.

I think it's B.S. that TB waited so long to fire Gruden. Should've done it earlier to give him an opportunity to get another job if he so desires,

Well with Monte Kiffin gone, Their defense is goona suck and TB have always been an unpredictable team ! I guess DAllas will go for Jon GRuden !

You might be right. It sounds like a logical place for him to be, but... Gruden and Jerry Jones....I have a hard time picturing that.

Guest ATENEARS

Man, the Bucs screwed Gruden by waiting so long to fire him. The Browns not only already filled the HC job, but just finalized the Coordinator jobs ... now with Shannahan coming back into the picture to interview, they really limited Grudens opportunities to get in with another franchise by next season.

I like Chucky ... I could see him here. Our timing is always messed up ... I am on record of advising Lerner to wait until the Super Bowl before selecting a coach.

I don't know if Gruden lost his motivation or if he's still the same guy, but IMO - it's sort of class-lacking for a team to fire their coach a couple weeks after their last game. If you're going to fire a guy, do it so they can put themselves on the market.

This guy could have been a candidate for yinz possibly and that window's obviously closed. I'm not sure what kind of coin he would command though.

Regards

.... an'at

Gruden has been an underachiever since he got lucky five years ago..........he probably was skating thin and some recent interchanges with the owner........pushed them over the top..........Tampa loses nothing Gruden never has been more than ordinary except for the chuckie face

Ive never understood why the Bucs spent 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in order to get a coach who's biggest quality is his passion for quarterbacks and then fail to draft him a decent quarterback. They were 9-3 when Monte Kiffin let slip he was leaving, the defence folded and they missed out, i dont think he should have been sacked but the further removed he got from his superbowl year the easier it was to sack him...

I have to admit, I would have been a lot more pumped if the headlines read, "Browns hire former Buc's John Gruden as their new head coach"................No doubt.

If someone were to have told me at week 14, that both Shanahan and Gruden would be available, but we would get neither, I would have punched them. :ph34r:

Cheer up folks -

No question, Mangini doesn't inspire anywhere near the confidence of nearly all the other coaches hired in this offseason - nor can I still figure out why Lerner felt compelled to rush out and sign a coach who no one else wanted to even interview...

And while I actually think Mangini picked good matches given his coaching and personal style - no one seemed all that keen on hiring his assistants either

That being said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut... even a broken clock is right twice a day - and its not out of the realm of possibility that in a day and age of NFL parity that the Browns could get back to respectability.

Stranger things have happened.... though I agree with most of you, it'd feel a lot better to be inspired with one of the many highly touted Head Coaches and GM candidates that were available.

Archived