THE BROWNS BOARD

Igor Olshansky?

Guest mz.

According to the SD newspaper, the Bolts will not bring DE Igor Olshansky back. This would be another guy I'd seriously look at in free agency if we aren't going to address the D-line with the #5 pick.

He was a 2nd round pick in '04 out of Oregon.

via here.

Guest Aloysius

Olshansky's a very strong guy (43 reps of 225), but he's not a good pass-rusher (11 sacks in 5 years) and is said to have an inconsistent motor. He's coming off a bad year (29 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 TFL), so he may come relatively cheap.

Looks like he may be a better fit for our two gap system than SD's attacking one gap 3-4. But if Robaire Smith is healthy & we're keeping Corey Williams, we may be better off getting a guy in the draft & devoting FA resources elsewhere.

Olshansky's a very strong guy (43 reps of 225), but he's not a good pass-rusher (11 sacks in 5 years) and is said to have an inconsistent motor. He's coming off a bad year (29 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 TFL), so he may come relatively cheap.

Looks like he may be a better fit for our two gap system than SD's attacking one gap 3-4. But if Robaire Smith is healthy & we're keeping Corey Williams, we may be better off getting a guy in the draft & devoting FA resources elsewhere.

Don't be surprised if the Browns try to move Cory Williams. He just isn't a good fit in the 2 gap 3-4 system. Or, maybe he jsut didn't want to be a good fit in the 3-4. I know he was injured most of the year, but he was an outstanding 4-3 one gap DT for GB and he just didn't seem to take to the read and react of this style of 3-4.

Guest Aloysius

Tough to say what Mangini will do. He did trade away John Abraham when he got to New York, but the circumstances were a bit different: Abraham wanted a new deal and he was a more questionable fit as a 3-4 OLB than Williams is at DE. Also, they were able to get a 1st for Abraham; I doubt we'd be able to get anything more than a late 3rd for Williams.

And if we trade Williams, there will be a cap charge of at least $5.4M.

Archived