THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis rumors - almost a done deal

budcarson

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/16/...b-in-cleveland/

The NFL grapevine currently is buzzing with word that Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis will be the next G.M. of the Browns.

The news isn’t all that shocking; he widely was believed to be the leading candidate once Eric Mangini emerged as the favorite to become the next coach.

Still, the Browns technically can’t offer the job until the Ravens’ season ends. That said, there are ways that the Browns can get their message across without actually offering Kokinis the job.

And there are ways Kokinis can make known his intention to accept the position.

He’s been viewed as a 50-50 proposition to leave the Ravens, where he has worked since the franchise moved there from Cleveland in 1996.

In all, the 41-year-old exec has spent 17 years with the organization

Randy did take the bull by the horns and hand-picked what he thinks is honestly best for the Browns.

In my mind, he must live and die with these choices.

If they win, he should be given every accolade that can be bestowed and considered as one of the top owners in the game.

But if they fail, he must be willing to swallow his pride and sell the team to an owner that knows how to effectively own an NFL franchise.

Honestly, with Kokinis, Mangini, Ryan, Daboll, Seely, and Carl Smith, I think the Browns trumped the table. I really do. Great staff.

/Agree

On paper theoretically speaking.. if this happens we will have a solid and experienced team with a little youth and fire thrown in for good measure..

I can hear those squeeler fans squeeling soon or at least going silent! :)

Now we need to hire a barking coach to teach the defensive guys how to bark loud and proud and show a little atitude and intention on the field! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

you gotta wonder why Mangini was hired so fast and why this guy wants to be GM of a team after the head coach and coordinators are already picked.

No other team was interested in Mangini. Why was he hired so quickly?

You don't see the Steelers doing stuff like this.

He got his first choices because he moved quickly. He chose Mangini over Pioli, basically, and on from there.

Sure as hell didn't dawdle, did he?

If lerner would have dawdled we would be hiring some coordinator with no structure again because mangini would have gotten multiple offers annd would be gone by now...

So now if mangini sucks i will look like a bigger idiot then i did with my savage approval but at least i was right about romeo i wanted to like him but his skills just were not there..

I think mangini stays around a while and much improves the browns and randy finally gets out from under his fathers horrific football legacy...

If lerner would have dawdled we would be hiring some coordinator with no structure again because mangini would have gotten multiple offers annd would be gone by now...

Does anyone have lerner's email address?

Not one team was interested in Mangini, not one.

He's like Herm Edwards, designated loser.

The Lions would not have hired him. Who else would even consider that little butterball coach?

So now if mangini sucks i will look like a bigger idiot then i did with my savage approval but at least i was right about romeo i wanted to like him but his skills just were not there..

I think mangini stays around a while and much improves the browns and randy finally gets out from under his fathers horrific football legacy...

Not one team was interested in Mangini, not one.

He's like Herm Edwards, designated loser.

The Lions would not have hired him. Who else would even consider that little butterball coach?

You're a joke. WTF do you know of what's going on in FOs and board rooms around the NFL? You don't know anthing about who was considering Mangini. You know what you read and from your posts, that isn't you're strong suit.

Ok, so tell me which teams would have JUMPED to get Mangini. Do you have one team you can name?

He was hired one week after being fired by the Jets. Denver would not have hired him. Detroit had their man. Who else was hot to trot on Mangini?

Dallas? Nope. You can't tell me there was one team interested in him. And why hire a GM last? Does that make sense?

Ok, so tell me which teams would have JUMPED to get Mangini. Do you have one team you can name?

He was hired one week after being fired by the Jets. Denver would not have hired him. Detroit had their man. Who else was hot to trot on Mangini?

Dallas? Nope. You can't tell me there was one team interested in him. And why hire a GM last? Does that make sense?

We (you and I) have no idea which team would have jumped to get Mangini since Lerner was all over him the minute he was released. The other owners are not stupid. They aren't going to waste time on a coach that is already spoken for.

Why do you care who our team hires as coach? Why are you here and not celebrating and chatting with fellow Steeler fans during AFC Championship week? Dude your actions are pathetic

Why do you care who our team hires as coach? Why are you here and not celebrating and chatting with fellow Steeler fans during AFC Championship week? Dude your actions are pathetic

Everything about this waste of space is pathetic. He's either playing dumb (and doing quite well) and trying to rile everyone up.... OR.... He's just completely fuking stupid.

I think it's the second one...

Solid.

Have to say I'm happy with Lerner over the last few weeks. He jumped in and got it done.

We can't say he didn't take the bull by the horns, IMHO.

My only response to this would be, I'm not convinced that Lerner understands the game well enough for me to get excited by anything he does.

For this reason I was unimpressed when it was said that Mangini just blew Lerner away and that's why he hired him quickly. I'm not sure blowing Lerner away is a good guage as to whether any decisions will end up being a good thing.

Grabbing the bull by the horns does not automatically equate to anything positive.

I'd rather see a methodical process rather than a quick one. I know he couldn't waste too much time because of the upcoming draft and other off season moves that may need to be made. But I still feel like is was done too quickly.

I had to laugh a couple days into the process when the news reported that Lerner was just exhausted after a few days of this and needed some time off......This guy evidently has never worked a day in his life if he thinks this is exhausting.

lerner showed he had some balls to hire mangini before a gm ,the coach is the one on the field ,and if we know ,or should i say remember anything from last year, it was always said romeo decided who played ,but we might assume phil had a lot to say in the assistant coaches and who played ,,from what we hear ,if we get K from the ravens as gm ,and he and mangini both answer to lerner this might stop any ego trips,,manginis choices of assistants seem strong so far ,lets see what HAPPENS and support it ,before we break it down with critisize it..

When hiring someone to fill a particular role you may have to interview 30 people or sometimes just one. Either way Lerner felt that Mangini was the right fit and acted upon it. I like the fact that a HC was hired before the GM. This will lend to better cohesion when working together. I'm not completely sold on Mangini, but I do not fault Lerner for taking immediate action. You know after an interview whether you have the right guy or not (at least the right guy in your own mind). I think the fact that Lerner acted quickly is a good thing. Executives are always better off making an executive decision than pissing around and delaying. Mangini is our guy, let's see how he does.

Archived