THE BROWNS BOARD

Emanuel to be Obama's Chief of Staff

Guest Aloysius

Well, I've never wished you were injured ...

but there are plenty of leaves on the ground, but I don't climb trees much...

except the apple trees, gotta prune me for next year.

And, you are a liar, Shepbites. I do not pickle beets. They are MANGELLS.

I haven't tried one yet, but they are about 2' long in the ground, supposed to be

sweet like sugar beets, I am wondering if it could be a new crop for biodiesel fuels...

I am amazed at the enormous versatility of our woods. Gotta have Steve over when

his show takes a break...

REAL AMERICA is the collection of people who believe in freedom, self-reliance, personal responsibility, and

belief in American ideals and family values and our Consitution.

If the shoe don't fit, I figure you don't get it.

I hope he knows more about identifying leaves than I do. I know maybe 25 types, there's more than that. Amazing.

I don't know much about him either, other than what I could find reading around, but I'm sure Rush, Hannity, or Los Pequenos will have an opinion. Then they'll form theirs.

Guest Aloysius

Assuming the story's true, I wonder why Obama would go with Emanuel.

Is it primarily because of his reputation for getting stuff done? That he'll push his agenda through Congress?

Or is it also because Obama's going to assemble a heterodox group of advisers/cabinet officials, so his Chief of Staff will have to be a tough gatekeeper, especially once Obama's made a decision.

Probably impossible to know.

My thoughts exactly.

I guess we'll weigh in on who he picks when he picks them, but as you know, Alo, I'd prefer Emmanuel stay in the House and run the legislative show. He's the hammer.

Of course, he can do some of that as Chief of Staff, and he makes a great consigliere, but I'd also be wary of having the most bare-knuckled Democrat acting as the gatekeeper to the president. I don't think you want the White House like your own little fiefdom. I don't think that's the tone Obama is going to set - the "my way or the highway" notion - but at some level this isn't about making friends either, and Emmanuel knows how to get things done.

We'll see. I think it's going to be a very bipartisan cabinet. I think he'll keep Gates on, bring in Hagel, and staff the place with experienced moderates.

Guest Aloysius
I guess we'll weigh in on who he picks when he picks them, but as you know, Alo, I'd prefer Emmanuel stay in the House and run the legislative show. He's the hammer.

Of course, he can do some of that as Chief of Staff, and he makes a great consigliere, but I'd also be wary of having the most bare-knuckled Democrat acting as the gatekeeper to the president. I don't think you want the White House like your own little fiefdom.

Yeah, that definitely concerns me.
We'll see. I think it's going to be a very bipartisan cabinet. I think he'll keep Gates on, bring in Hagel, and staff the place with experienced moderates.
I think he ends up choosing between Gates as SecDef or Hagel as Secretary of State; one of those nat'l security/foreign policy positions probably has to go to a Dem.

But I'm not too enthusiastic about some of the Democratic names that have been mentioned for Secretary of State (John Kerry, Bill Richardson).

Predicting who Obama ends up choosing would actually be an interesting thread. Unfortunately, it'd just be too difficult to wade through all the "Bill Ayers for Secretary of Fascism" posts.

Aloy lets makes sure he wins first before we start talking appointments and cabinet positions.

I dont know much about Emanuel and have a feeling that might be misdirection from his camp. he has been playing chess with his election bid and cant see him playing his hand this early on who he may or may not appoint. Not to mention the fact he does not want to arm the Mccain campaign with ANYTHING prior to the 72 hour final push.

Cal you did remind us that using terms like stupid and Retarded when describing Palin might be offensive to others on this board who have to deal with that reality in some way. Please recipricate those exact criticisms you leveled at others (including my own improper usage of those labels) when using Hitler labels.

I am sure you might understand why some others on this board who have some mixed or direct Jewish heritage on this board might be offended.

osusev - will do. My correlation was limited to Obama's ability to capture the great attention

of large crowds and unquavering outlandish devotion, while not saying much of substance, like

oh, never mnd. Point well taken. Will do.

But Obama even used the Nazi comparison...

Archived