THE BROWNS BOARD

The 30 Greatest Football Places In America

The Gipper

Here is my list of the 30 greatest Football places in America. In alphabetical order. I didn't rank them....but that is something we can debate. Note that this can involve football at any level, pro, college...large and small, and high school.

You decide....or add any I may have missed.

Great topic Gips! It's almost impossible to get a consensus on this kind of thing. I'm guessing Mississippi (the home/roots of Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Brett Favre, Marcus Dupree and Archie/Peyton/Eli Manning) has to have 1 location worthy of the list or honorable mention.

Edit: Looks like Ballpeen and Ghoolie already mentioned Mississippi before I got that far into the thread.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of the best places to watch the NFL draft is Canton Mike's mancave....

Absolutely Cal! It's also not a bad place to drink beer, chow and add to the FLABS (acro for Flugel's abs). I'm not a gluten-free kind of guy; but hearing Kessler's name way up in round 3 almost reversed off every calorie I consumed...

It was fun to meet Westside Steve and his lady; some guy named Niedermeyer "WITHOUT THAT DAMN PLEDGE PIN"; Mr and Mrs Canton Mike as well as Mr and Mrs Calfoxsies for the first time.

Always fun with plenty to eat, drink, & argue about what will & DID take place. Great friends, Family & lots of laughs!

Tom, it was great meeting you & spending time together.

This year the draft is literally impossible to predict...Flip a coin & get ready for some surprises!

Mike

"Denver, Colorado. Home of the NFL team with probably the largest geographical following. Plus the fans are very ardent for the Broncos.

Yes, we are despite Z's attempts to shame some of us into giving up a first love. Everybody still has a deep love for their first love, even if married for 47+ years now. LOL! :lol:

Christine-you still alive girl? :wub:

(I was able to sneak by the name of Kristen for my daughter.) :D

I wish soccer mom didn't take over NY and hold football hostage. Buffalo made 4 Superbowls while 2 other storied NFL franchises like the NY Jets and NY Giants have Superbowl Championships in their history. Buffalo has a longer playoff drought than Cleveland while the Jets don't look any closer to post seasons in the near future. The Giants no longer have the old school toughness of Parcells or Coughlin (undefeated against Brady/BB in Superbowls)... At 1 time, people in Western NY were starting to worry if Buffalo would keep the team after Ralph Wilson died. Meanwhile, when is the last time the Jets or Giants played a home game in NY?

And what about the RB tradition at Syracuse, NY that included Jim Brown (raised on Long Island/Manhassett, NY), Ernie Davis (from Elmira, NY), Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Joe Morris, Rob "Moose" Johnston? Later on other future NFL stars at other positions would go there like Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, Keith Bulluck,Donovan Darius. I think Tim Green also had a brief splash. It's been a long time since that football program was significant.

Even a small school on Long Island like Hofstra was putting productive WRs like Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston in the NFL before Soccer Mom intervened with a "not on my watch!" Hofstra no longer has a football program. They just play footsies with limp wrists while they chase around a white ball hoping to score once or twice in 3 hours of competition. I'd rather watch hotties with nice legs do something like that...

There's countless guys from Long Island that went on for successful NFL careers like Vinnie Testaverde, Boomer Esiason, Jumbo & Matt Elliott, Jim Brown etc...

Columbus higher than Pitt?

Only one player from Columbus in the HOF?

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/VAmBYNu0NkWDkoYmBIDzwA/states-with-most-nfl-hall-of-famers.htm

Professional football was born in Western Pa!

BTW you missed George Blanda in your list of QB's from Western Pa.

What a stellar career he had. An unheard of 26 seasons, retiring at the age of 48, and ironically played his last NFL game in Pittsburgh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda

There are many more QB's from Western Pa. who have achieved lesser status... among them Super Bowl winner Jeff Hostettler, and Babe Pirilli who ironically was the back up QB in Super Bowl III...to another Pennsylvanian, Joe Namath.

Western Pa. the hotbed of NFL head coaches as well....

The Browns beloved Marty Shottenheimer, Mike McCarthy, Mike Ditka, Marvin Lewis, Bill Cowher, Ted Marchibroda, Chuck Knox, Joe Walton, Joe Bugle, Dave Wannstadt, Todd Haley..all from Western Pa. Six head coaches from Western Pa. were coaching in the NFL at the same time.

Funny how it took a Cleveland guy Chuck Noll to turn the Steelers into a winner, while it still remains to this day that a Pittsburgh guy named Marty was the last Browns coach to make that team relevant and a SB contender.

Its my list, I can do what I want.

Ohio State's success as a college football program is superior to Pittsburgh's success as a pro football program.

(I would not however go around touting Dave Wannstedt)

But, perhaps you are right, perhaps neither is Top Ten.

Hell, maybe I should put Barberton Ohio (not including Akron) alone up there if you are touting football people: Bo Schembechler, John Mackovic, Tom Dmitroff Sr and Jr. (GM of current Falcons). Josh McDaniel...future Pats HC.

Great topic Gips! It's almost impossible to get a consensus on this kind of thing. I'm guessing Mississippi (the home/roots of Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Brett Favre, Marcus Dupree and Archie/Peyton/Eli Manning) has to have 1 location worthy of the list or honorable mention.

Edit: Looks like Ballpeen and Ghoolie already mentioned Mississippi before I got that far into the thread.

Yes, I added Oxford Miss. at their behest. Went from 30 to 31 flavors.

Ohio State's success as a college football program is superior to Pittsburgh's success as a pro football program.

(I would not however go around touting Dave Wannstedt)

So now we are changing your topic by limiting it to the success of a pro franchise vs a college program?

Your topic says "football places", and you yourself were the one who listed the famous QB's to come out of the Pittsburgh area....none of whom played for the Steelers.

Not "touting" Wannstedt either. He was just another head coach from the football factory known as Pittsburgh Pa. is all that I'm saying.

FYI..The University of Pittsburgh is also located in the Pittsburg region. A as part of rich football history, the Panthers own 9 national titles to OSU's 8.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Panthers_football

Yes I know, those Pitt championships happened a long time ago, but I'm responding to a guy that gives as much weight to a stupid AAFC Championship as he does to a Super Bowl.LOL

To place Columbus ahead of Pittsburgh amongst the best "football places" is just pure homerism. I think you know that Gip.

I will give a little credit where credit is due, Pittsburgh, PA did a good job after the major disintegration of the American steel industry essentially caused by below cost foreign steel, antiquated USA facilities, legacy costs, EPA regulations and other factors. (I was a first hand witness, 11 years at USS.)

BUT they really built and rebuilt the city and the two teams in the NFL and NHL also did things right and are solid successful franchises with rabid fans.

MLB, eh the Pirates had a run, PITT is searching for the 1970s successes partly led by that cheater Jackie Sherrill but they have a good one now Pat Narduzzi former YSU player and son of a former YSU coach.

Now do I still down deep hate the Steelerz hell yes but.......

Ok it's your list, but then don't say this..

The Gipper, on 11 Sept 2012 - 3:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Convince me otherwise.

I have been convinced a couple of times. I included Oxford Miss....and I put Baltimore on in lieu of another spot (have to look above, perhaps KC.

And I do not discount that perhaps you have a valid argument for Pittsburgh in the Top Ten.

So, lets just agree you have valid points.

So now we are changing your topic by limiting it to the success of a pro franchise vs a college program?

Your topic says "football places", and you yourself were the one who listed the famous QB's to come out of the Pittsburgh area....none of whom played for the Steelers.

Not "touting" Wannstedt either. He was just another head coach from the football factory known as Pittsburgh Pa. is all that I'm saying.

It is NOT a change in topic to consider a pro franchise vs. a college program. It is what I had to do all along here. I even had to weigh lower college levels and high school level in there. Odessa Texas is in...but Houston TX is not if you will notice.

Valdosta Ga. is in but Atlanta Ga. is not.

Again, I say you make a reasonable point about the QBs.

FYI..The University of Pittsburgh is also located in the Pittsburg region. A as part of rich football history, the Panthers own 9 national titles to OSU's 8.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Panthers_football

Yes I know, those Pitt championships happened a long time ago, but I'm responding to a guy that gives as much weight to a stupid AAFC Championship as he does to a Super Bowl.LOL

To place Columbus ahead of Pittsburgh amongst the best "football places" is just pure homerism. I think you know that Gip.

Just because you have a valid point does not mean you have a winning point.

One thing for certain, Columbus has more passion for football than Pittsburgh.

Also...I don't know where you are finding 9 titles, I see three:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/

Comparing PITT to The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY is a total losing argument, not even close.

Top 25, 10, 5 NC, Heisman winners, TV ratings, overall talent, stadium, student population, total sports teams.....so what else?

Comparing PITT to The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY is a total losing argument, not even close.

Top 25, 10, 5 NC, Heisman winners, TV ratings, overall talent, stadium, student population, total sports teams.....so what else?

To be fair, I think he was comparing the entirety of the football environment (pro/college/high school) to the entirety of the football environment in Columbus....and I am not saying he does not have a fair point. But to compare Pitt to Ohio St? yea, that would be foolish. I went to a Pitt game once at old Pitt Stadium. It was at best half full. Not sure where they play their games now? the big ketchup bottle?

Still on Ole' Miss.

What got me the three times I went to a game there, people dress up to go to games. Very few show up looking like a Hobo.

Seriously, they gussy up.

• 1 month later...

My original list stated this:

Los Angeles, California. Despite no longer having an NFL team, the area is dedicated to USC football...and produces some of the best football talent in the country from its high schools. Also hosts perhaps the greatest spectacle in football, The Rose Bowl and its parade.

Oakland/East Bay, California. The Raiders, the Hell's Angels of the NFL, along with their crazy fan make the East Bay area a natural for this list. The icing on the cake however is the nearby Concord DeLaSalle High School which has won a record 6 USA Today National High School Championships. Plus, Cal ( or UC-Berkely if you prefer) is an upcoming progam that spent loads to improve their stadium.

LA gets two NFL teams back....ergo, I guess, its place on this list get solidified.

Not so sure about "Oakland/East Bay"...without the Raiders, they are that areas primary claim to fame for football. I don't think UC-Berkely and Concord DeLasalle would be enough to put the East Bay on here.

However, what I think I will do is to amend this position to "The Bay Area"....that way it can take in not only the East Bay football environment...but also include the 49ers, and Stanford, and even the likes of San Jose St. etc.

So just make this the San Francisco Bay area.

• 8 months later...

Giving a bump to this topic....as we have had a number of new patrons to this board that have not likely seen this thread....and who may perhaps join the discussion....which to me is always interesting. 

In reviewing it....I don't think I would make any changes since last May.

As noted:

I included Oxford MS at the behest of Ballpeen and Ghoolie.   (but I also, instead of taking out Knoxville...took out Auburn Ala. )

I replaced KC with Baltimore at the behest of some Baltimore douchebag whom I don't think has bothered to even come back and see that his arguments were successful. 

I acknowlege Shithole's potentially valid argument about Pittsburgh vs. Columbus.  Both places stay in the Top 30....so I am not really positive what he is griping about.

I converted  "East Bay" to just The Bay area...since the Raiders are abandoning the area.

Just reviewing this thread I've always liked Pitt, they've always had some good and unusual ties to my hometown area like one QB in 1960-1962 Jim Traficant who I heard him say once he on defense had an 85 yard INT for a TD which was a long standing PITT record (Jim had some good stories). Also PITT's only national championship since 1937 was in 1976 led by their only Heisman winner Tony Dorsett and Youngstown Chaney Jr QB Matt Cavanagh who graduated two years ahead of my wife from Chaney. Matt went on to a good NFL career and later coaching. 

Now PITT has some history and former YSU ties with a good current coach Pat Narduzzi who's dad was a fine coach at YSU. They currently are in the ACC but have never obtained any status of a P5 conference team. A bit more information:

.......Pitt has claimed nine national championships[4] and is among the top 20 college football programs in terms of all-time wins.[5] Its teams have featured many coaches and players notable throughout the history of college football, including, among all schools, the fifth most College Football Hall of Fame inductees,[6] the twelfth most consensus All-Americans,[7] and the third most Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees.[8] The Panthers are currently coached by Pat Narduzzi. Pitt plays home games at Heinz Field which they share with the National Football League Pittsburgh Steelers and utilize the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Sports Performance Complex as their practice facility........

Very nice.   Completely renovated.   Now seats 23, 000.    Plus, based on its looks, it could be easily expandable.

Will host the NCAA Division III championship game next year.   (Giving Mt. Union a home field advantage...since they always seem to be in it)

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Very nice.   Completely renovated.   Now seats 23, 000.    Plus, based on its looks, it could be easily expandable.

Will host the NCAA Division III championship game next year.   (Giving Mt. Union a home field advantage...since they always seem to be in it)

Really nice, great looking press boxes sure has grown up in the area over the old high school facilities. 

Too bad the BROWNS didn't get a covered stadium because they could have put together a nice super bowl and other event weeks in conjunction with the NFL's official one and only HOF .

On 1/31/2018 at 11:02 AM, Canton Dawg said:

I was back home in Canton a couple of days ago to attend my father's funeral.

It was the first time in several months I was close to the Pro Football HOF.

Tom Benson Stadium, is looking good!

image.png.0313d2ebbe1c36079387ce73615b6e7f.png

Wow that sucker only seats 23K? Looks nice.

51 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I believe it’s the only football stadium that hosts high school, college, and NFL games.

I don't know....here are NFL stadiums that do share with colleges. This article written in 2015...so there is a new stadium in Atlanta...but I doubt the sharing arrangement has changed:

NFL and College Teams Sharing Stadiums
Stadium NFL Team NCAA Team
Georgia Dome Atlanta Falcons Georgia State
Gillette Stadium New England Patriots UMass
Sun Life Stadium Miami Dolphins Miami (FL)
Lincoln Financial Field Philadelphia Eagles Temple
Heinz Field Pittsburgh Steelers Pitt
Qualcomm Stadium San Diego Chargers San Diego St,
Raymond James Stadium Tampa Bay Buccaneers USF

I also have no doubt that a few of these likely also hold HS games.   At least, maybe state championship games.

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know....here are NFL stadiums that do share with colleges. This article written in 2015...so there is a new stadium in Atlanta...but I doubt the sharing arrangement has changed:

NFL and College Teams Sharing Stadiums
Stadium NFL Team NCAA Team
Georgia Dome Atlanta Falcons Georgia State
Gillette Stadium New England Patriots UMass
Sun Life Stadium Miami Dolphins Miami (FL)
Lincoln Financial Field Philadelphia Eagles Temple
Heinz Field Pittsburgh Steelers Pitt
Qualcomm Stadium San Diego Chargers San Diego St,
Raymond James Stadium Tampa Bay Buccaneers USF

I also have no doubt that a few of these likely also hold HS games.   At least, maybe state championship games.

Tom Benson Stadium is home field for Canton McKinley, and Timken Sr High.

It hosts the high school championship games as well.

Its also home field for Walsh & Malone (DII), and will host the DIII Championship Game in 2020.

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Tom Benson Stadium is home field for Canton McKinley, and Timken Sr High.

It hosts the high school championship games as well.

Its also home field for Walsh & Malone (DII), and will host the DIII Championship Game in 2020.

See the second post in this thread.  While some of those locations may be revised...I don't think I would change the #1 spot.

Archived