THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell

why cant we win

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

art modell is near death tonight !!! i know this is prob not the best topic to put up but i figured i would let you guys know

I hope all is peaceful for him and wish his family comfort in this hard time.

I am not going to lie, when I saw the breaking new ticker on ESPN this morning I yelled out "yeaaaa". Which I immediately regretted. It was just my immediate reaction and probably that of 100,000 other Browns fans.

The dude has family and my condolences go out to them. RIP.

Maybe him dying is what is needed to break this curse. The move has come full circle or some shit.

Actually, I heard his dying words were "For we cannot help agreeing, that no living human being, will ever yet be cursed with seeing, a Lombardi Trophy hanging through the Cleveland Brown's Stadium door. Quoth this dying Raven, 'May the Brown's see post-season glory, Nevermore.'"

He moved our team because we were not supporting it and the city turned its back on him. Lets make sure that does not happen again.

Bullshit, you don't know dick. He moved the team because he lost money from the Indians moving from the stadium. Cleveland voters overwhelmingly approved the aforementioned tax issue to remodel Cleveland Stadium. It was purely about money asshole.

schmodell didn't care about "giving us good years".

It was always all about him, his prestige, and his money. The evil men do live alfter them.

But, it's only proper to say something decent at a time like this.

........let's see...... oh, "..." no, that won't work either.

Something.......decent.... to say....

Okay. I've got it.

I hope he is doing just fine playing melted checkers, sitting on molten lava, with the devil, forever.

fart schmodell isn't even worth this thread. blech.:angry:

I wore a Browns coat to school (3rd grade) a day after they moved. I wore a Browns tie to school today (teacher) without knowing he had died. Talk about coming full circle. Although I'm not happy that he's dead, I don't feel any sadness by it. It's a weird feeling.

if art modell would have never bought this team we might never had won those championships way back when. he was an innovator. he drafted black players when it was frowned upon. he gave ozzie newsome the first black GM position.

if anyone is going to hell it's the assholes that make fun of someone's death.

if art modell would have never bought this team we might never had won those championships way back when. he was an innovator. he drafted black players when it was frowned upon. he gave ozzie newsome the first black GM position.

I agree here, but don't you think that should of more reason he should kept the team here.

That reminds me that I saw Margaret Hamilton perform live at The Cleveland Playhouse back in the 70s. She was up there in years at the time...in her 70s, but gave an outstanding performance. In that play, the name of which escapes me, she played an elderly lady being terrorized by an intruder, she played the heroine, not the baddy.

You all know Lerner Sr. helped Modell move to Baltimore right? Before he bought the Browns? Just saying.

Bottom line on Modell: the NFL outgrew him financially and he could not keep up. He should have sold the team to Al Lerner in the first place in order to place it in firm financial hands. No matter what...moving to Baltimore/whatever was going to save him from his own financial inadequacies. Two years after the move he was forced to sell the team anyway despite being given certain financial considerations.

He simply didn't have the foresight to see that he was done long before he was done, and he maintained the venality that would never allow him to admit that until Paul Tagliabue came around and did his Heidi Klum on him: "You're out. Aufweidersehn".

You are confusing him with Arthur McBride. Only one title was won by the Browns while Modell was Owner, 1964. Seven were won under McBride.

And it was McBride and Paul Brown who brought in the black players when others didn't, like Motley, Willis, etc.

By the time Modell became an owner in 1960 every NFL team but the Redskins were loading up on black players. Look at the Colts and Giants title teams of the 50s. Plenty of black players.

But you are right about the Ozzie thing.

Archived