THE BROWNS BOARD

Cowinkydink?

Guest mz.

nothing wrong with our safeties.

I personally liked Mike Adams over Sean Jones, and would not pay Sean Jones. I Think Pool played well, and gets ragged on WAY too much. One week this board praises Pool, then the next week they are hating on him after only watching another Teams safety on ESPN Highlights.

Get real browns fans. Our problem isn't the safeties. Its the lack of ability for our secondary to play Man coverage (they play zone quite well), for our DLine to get pressure when Rogers has his oxygen mask on, without him on the field the defense absolutely sucks. A LB or two, and another rotational DLineman and our defense is going to be good. THe secondary will be solid with a little bit of man coverage skills. We just can't let Wright and McDonald (mostly Wright, watch the videos) getting beat deep.

None of those guys (Pool, Jones, Adams) can even sniff the jocks of Reed, Polamalu, Wilson and Dawkins.

Not saying a new safety is Browns Priority One, but just pointing out a fact.

How do you read the post and infer anyone was saying/thinking that?

Maybe a little overly sarcastic there, sorry, i just think we should stick to upgrading the bad areas of our D first, Pool and Jones are Decent to good Safeties. Those safeties wouldn't be as good on our defence because of how poor the rest of the D is. Without all the pressure the Ravens put on opposing quarterbacks Ed Reed wouldn't have the same opportunities to make plays.

i just think we should stick to upgrading the bad areas of our D first

I agree.

Are there actually any top safeties that play on awful defences?

I dunno...it may be one of the million NFL chicken-or-the-egg arguments. ;)

Why single out the safeties? You can take the 3rd and 4th best players from those defenses and they'd probably be the leader on ours (maybe besides Rogers). I'd gladly take any of the Sheldon Browns, Aaron Smiths, or Dominique Rodgers Cromarties off those teams.

Another reason why we should pick Jenkins or Mays with our first pick.

Mays is staying @ USC for his senior year and Jenkins is a CB. Jones isn't in the same class as those mentioned above and shouldn't be given the money he is asking for. TE's and backs ran away from him all year and he was late getting over to provide help when the team was in a cover two many times this year. McDonald should sue Jones for lack of support.

Cleveland does need a big play/ big hitting SS and his name isn't Adams. Adams is a decent backup safety at best.

Savage let Brian Russell go and since our secondary has sucked, but you know phil, he had to prove his boys jones and pool could do it has taken pool a couple of seasons to even come close to being qualified as a starter. nothing near pro-bowl potential.

three of the four also have über-aggressive defensive coordinators:

philly - jim johnson

pittsburgh - lebeau

baltimore - ryan

also not a coincidence.

Good stuff JD. HOWEVER someone has done some VERY good coaching as of late with the least talented defense remaining in Arizona. How many turnovers did they create in the last 2 games they weren't supposed to win? That might be your best defensive coaching this post season with the least abundance of defensive talent. I hadn't seen anyone nearly as successful at stopping Carolina IN Carolina all year.

I'm not SURE who is making more of the defensive decisions in Baltimore between Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Rex Ryan. I was puzzled to hear that Ed Reed gets to do whatever he wants because he outprepares most QBs he faces. Do I give Rex Ryan credit for being a genius or Ed Reed? I WILL say the players ADORE Rex and play hard for him and it's nice he knows who holds the pulse of his D (Lewis and Reed). Does anyone remember what specifric event led to Balt losing to NE last year? It was Rex's time out when they picked off Brady, which nullified the turnover. They stunk in 2007, when Reed and Lewis battled injury so HOW MUCH of his success depends on talent over being a genius?

LeBeau and JJ have some of THE most fun schemes to witness. Steve Spags was getting JJ cred all the way up until losing Strahan and Osi. Wouldn't he be the first to tell you he wasn't as MUCH of a genious without the book ends? It wasn't THAT long ago I was reading Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan were going to save LESS talented franchises from despair. Guess what? Mike Singletary CAN coach ordinary Joe's to play better than they are while Mike Nolan had such a culture shock working with average Joe's that he got fired. When we tried to blitz D'Qwell inside, little Ray Rice seated him so I see why we couldn't bltiz successfully very often. The RIGHT guy runs right through the tiny RB and power slams the QB so we're intrigued to see MORE of that again.

It's AMAZING how much better you can play chess when you have more than just pawns whether we're talking offfense OR defense. When BB was here - his ability to play chess wasn't ever the problem. We didn't have Lawrence Taylor, Tom Brady or an interested Randy Moss. The reason we couldn't score an offensive TD in 6 weeks exceeded Chud's ability to play chess IMO.

- Tom F. (That sucks Pete Carroll guilted Taylor Mays back to USC. I never realized the pressure he put on kids to stay there and risk injury as seniors until I just witnessed it via Sanchez)

Meh, I'm not all that down on Jones or Pool. I think Pool needs to catch up to the game mentally, I believe physically he can do it. Jones was less than stellar this year mainly due to his knee injury, it's not like he had an injury to his arm or anything, you def need your legs to play saftey.

And your right about Adams I like his instincts, however his size is a concern for me, but as my pappy used to say it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Thus, the problem, Jones is always hurt.......................................Do you sink big money in a new long term contract for him? I certainly don't tag him. Maybe he'll realize that market for injury proned SSs isn't that big.

Savage let Brian Russell go and since our secondary has sucked, but you know phil, he had to prove his boys jones and pool could do it has taken pool a couple of seasons to even come close to being qualified as a starter. nothing near pro-bowl potential.

brian russell sucks. he's a terrible football player. seahawk fans have been hating him since he signed there. he's out of position all the time, is too slow to chase down any RBs that get past him and sucks in coverage. we let him go at the right time.

it's one of the things savage did right.

@ flugs: i agree that clancy pendergast did a great job against carolina. it also just so happens that he schemed a great game and delhomme had a complete idiot meltdown. however, that shouldn't diminish what was a great scheme to neutralize both a potent running game and one of the best receivers in the NFL.

ryan's scheme definitely requires certain players. it wasn't quite as good when lewis was injured, but the ravens' offense was also epically bad in 2007. it was a little bit of both combining to make their season abysmal.

the patriot/timeout fiasco was a bad call on his part, but he thought he was doing what was best for the team. can't blame a guy for trying. it also indicates he might be a far better coordinator than head coach: clock management, knowing situations, being confident in your calls and all that.

i think jim johnson regularly does the most with the least. his front seven is regularly a collection of stiffs, castoffs and lower-round choices, but his defenses are always dominant.

however, you're right. it always helps to have great pieces to move around, and the browns don't have many. d'qwell, while good taking down people beyond the LOS, isn't a blitz-type guy, and that's a severe limitation.

Archived