THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell Dead at age 83

Guest ATENEARS

I was not into football this deep back when all that happened I was just getting in the military,but, the one thing I think Modell should have done was give an ultimatum have me a stadium plan, not just on paper but done, (maybe not built but you know past the point of backing out) by X date or I will move the team. Don't know maybe he did give them that I could be wrong just don't remember ever reading of any deadline. but I was in Georgia back then and did not have the internet so who knows.

I was not into football this deep back when all that happened I was just getting in the military,but, the one thing I think Modell should have done was give an ultimatum have me a stadium plan, not just on paper but done, (maybe not built but you know past the point of backing out) by X date or I will move the team.

Agreed. That's what you or me or most business people would do. It is an emotional reaction to protect everything that you've built. But Art had more class than that. That is why i respect how he handled everything that unfolded. Art is a class guy.

Art loved Cleveland. He wanted to be here. We wanted his team, but not him. Why? i have no idea. He is a good man that worked hard for his team and the city they played in. i wish he was still here. i'm guessing that he does too.

Agreed. That's what you or me or most business people would do. It is an emotional reaction to protect everything that you've built. But Art had more class than that. That is why i respect how he handled everything that unfolded. Art is a class guy.

Art loved Cleveland. He wanted to be here. We wanted his team, but not him. Why? i have no idea. He is a good man that worked hard for his team and the city they played in. i wish he was still here. i'm guessing that he does too.

Bottom line: Cleveland Browns fans made the Modells wealthy. They made them local icons. For their trouble he shat down the throats of all those people that supported him for 35 years. That's disloyalty to the nnnnth degree no matter HOW you cut it. FCUK Art, Pat, David & John....and their fcuking dog and cat.

Doug

Bottom line: Cleveland Browns fans made the Modells wealthy. They made them local icons. For their trouble he shat down the throats of all those people that supported him for 35 years. That's disloyalty to the nnnnth degree no matter HOW you cut it. FCUK Art, Pat, David & John....and their fcuking dog and cat.

Doug

Furns, could you be a little more explicit?

I'm not really getting where you're coming from, it's kind of vague.

Seriously though, dead on. I used to be with Roach, but there is no other way around it that Art screwed us.

What were his awful business dealings? He borrowed to buy the team and he borrowed to buy new scoreboards and stuff for the stadium. Were those his bad dealings? He had no money coming in from other sources. What were his bad dealings?

Was it Modell's fault when Gabe Paul sued Art over the Indians lease as Paul deemed it to be hurting the team (which was filed by Paul to disguise his own ineptness in running the team, and a study showed that the Indians had one of the best leases in baseball, which caused the Tribe to drop the lawsuit)?

BTW, the bank required Modell to PERSONALLY guarantee the Stadium Corp loans. That was a a stupid business move, but he did it because be believed in the city and his team. From a business standpoint, his only other bad dealing was allowing himself to be lured into thinking he could help the city by bailing out the stadium. While generous, that was a stupid business move. STUPID. Were there others? Sure. But let's not count the ones that he thought he had to make to make the team better (like Rison).

Guys, be real. The only way you make money on a sports franchise is to buy cheap and sell high. Jacobs did it, won nothing, and nobody is bitching. Gund did it, won nothing, and nobody is bitching. Modell obsessed over winning, borrorwed money to find a way, and is a villain. He finally won a championship and got out with some cash. The other guys just out with cash. Who's the villain?

Art was deeply in debt because of other business ventures. He was making a profit with Browns. Baltimore's payment relieved the debt and his son accumulated

Art was deeply in debt because of other business ventures. He was making a profit with Browns. Baltimore's payment relieved the debt and his son accumulated

What were his other business ventures?

He bought a patch of land in Strongsville that he eventually developed into neighborhood. Are there other secret ventures that only you and Atenears know about?

What is your basis for saying he made all these profits with the Browns, especially given that he had to pay huge rental payments to the city on the stadium? Any facts?

Archived