THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell Dead at age 83

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS
I hate you so much right now stan

You just wish you thought of such a subject title.

Isn't kind of cute that we finally found the only Ravens fan on the net? Bossy's Mom will be home from work though soon, so hurry and get your shots in on him.

NFL Waiting Patiently For Art Modell To Die

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/waiting-pat...-die-198332.php

And here is the link to the page they are referencing in this link from T.

Linkage

I will have to add that link to my favorites.

I wish the title of this thread were true.

GO TO HELL MODELL!!!

Guest Ghoolie
First person who posts this true information (when it happens) gets to be a Moderator here for a day.

It will be a sad day for football and a sad day for true Browns fans.

The city and citizens of Cleveland are the major culprits for Art leaving.

Dems Da facts.

Ps - Only owner to win NFL championships in two different cities.

AUTOMATIC HOF entry on the FIRST BALLOT.

Guest Masters
The city and citizens of Cleveland are the major culprits for Art leaving.

Dems Da facts.

AUTOMATIC HOF entry on the FIRST BALLOT.

Those are not the facts Ghoolie. You should read more. The city and the fans were never the major culprit of Art leaving. His inability to run his own business and manage his money were the major culprit.

Automatic HOF entry on the first ballot? So is that why he has now been passed over on what, 2 ballots now.

Those are not the facts Ghoolie. You should read more. The city and the fans were never the major culprit of Art leaving. His inability to run his own business and manage his money were the major culprit.

Sorry Masters, Ghoolie got this one right.

Modell was backed into a corner and driven out by city leadership. If you want a fact based account of what happened in that era, read the book Fumble by Michael G. Poplar.

yadayadayda

City screws Modell

Modell screws Cleveland

Realize by this time you would have had his genious son at the controls had he stayed.

When there is big money involved there are politicians involved, there was some serios screwing going on and Modell hate him or not had the final FU to the powers that be. Unfortunatly the fans took the hit.

I don't like him but i certainly do not wish death on someone who refuses to lay down to the man.

Art was made the scapegoat.

Grant it he wasn't the best owner, he did A LOT of things that ticked many of us off.

The city thought the Browns would never leave so they stuck him with a shitty lease on a stadium he had to pay repairs on constantly because it was falling apart and the city wouldn't help with those repairs.

Then the city built a big shiny new stadium for the Tribe and the OTHER guys who had been splitting repair costs packed up and moved out and Arty had no one else to split repair costs with.

Like I said, it's not 100% Art's fault here, we just like to put a face to why we lost our Browns.

Art was made the scapegoat.

Grant it he wasn't the best owner, he did A LOT of things that ticked many of us off.

The city thought the Browns would never leave so they stuck him with a shitty lease on a stadium he had to pay repairs on constantly because it was falling apart and the city wouldn't help with those repairs.

Then the city built a big shiny new stadium for the Tribe and the OTHER guys who had been splitting repair costs packed up and moved out and Arty had no one else to split repair costs with.

Like I said, it's not 100% Art's fault here, we just like to put a face to why we lost our Browns.

This is the Cliffs Notes version, but a pretty accurate summary.

does this work?

modell.jpg

Damn it this got my hopes up. I hated it when he moved the Browns, as it was a great and respected rivalry. Plus, as a fan I can understand how heartwrenching it would be to lose my team.

How can any Brown's fan EVER root for the ratbirds, even against the Steelers?

Guest Masters

Modell was backed into a corner and driven out by city leadership. If you want a fact based account of what happened in that era, read the book Fumble by Michael G. Poplar.

Model wanted Cleveland Municipal Stadium renovated, and he came up with his own plan. Cuyahoga County then put the proposal on the November, 1995 ballot. Just a few days before the vote, Modell announced he was moving the team to Baltimore. If he had waited for the vote, and the measure had passed, he would have had nearly $200 million in improvements to the stadium -- which was what he stated he wanted all along. But instead, he signed the deal with Baltimore without giving his community a chance to fund his project.

Furthermore, the County had put the issue on the ballot in 1995, when the Indians had just started playing at Jacobs Field in 1994. So it's not as though Modell had been ignored for an inordinate period of time.

Modell publically rejected being involved in the Gateway project (which was the downtown project that brought the new baseball stadium and basketball arena to down town) saying that he preferred to stay at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

There was a reason that part of his move Modell had to sell part of his ownership and have the clause that made him give up 99% of by 2001 (might have been 2002). Dude needed money because he couldn't manage his money.

The city wasn't clean of not moving, but Modell wanted his money and wanted it his way, or no way. Greed by Art was the major factor.

Bottom line is he should have sold.

His greed was keeping his femmy son involved even though he was a blithering idget. Art could have let the team go, but he couldn't let it go from his family-----er Davey.

Then he turned around and let all control go anyway.

It was a pissing match, cause he could have sold the team to Lerner (or many others) and been kept on in some capacity. The real on this is he couldn't stand the Browns being the face of Cleveland and him being so important yet not getting everybody to bend over for him. It ate him up to see the Cavs and Tribe get their facilities, especially given that Richfield was only 20 years old and still nice. For years he bitched about "just getting his bathrooms fixed" but in reality he wanted everything.

Everything meant a new stadium funded completely by the city and the taxpayers built exactly under his terms and how he wanted it, regardless of his inept money management and lack of diplomacy. Arty thought he was God in Cleveland and wanted treated as such. It also explains why Davey was such a complete and total tool filled with self importance even though he was a Retard.

I've read several books on this and followed the story in every circle. There is no other conclusion in my mind, and when someone like Pluto condemns you, you fooked up. Drew Carey's book is intriguing and points to Pat Modell being the biggest twat this side of Nancy Reagan in her heyday. Drew used to wait tables at some of the elite restaurants downtown and had his fill of dealing with that washed up diva. The Modells spent money they just didn't have and did it for years. He chose to live the life of a billionaire like Lerner but in reality wasn't anything close to it. When you have to borrow $5 mil to sign a douche like Rison you done blew your money.

Guest Masters

Dead on Riffer. Like you said, if Pluto actually condemns you, you really had to have screwed the pouch. Because Terry doesn't rail anyone very often, and generally tries to see both sides.

The move was always about money for Art's pocket. He needed it, and needed it fast.

I mean after all, we are talking about the same guy who made him self out as the good guy for giving the Tribe a home (while raping them in leasing), but at the same time never wanted them there and wanted them out. Then when they are getting out of Muni, he's crying a river about it.

Model wanted Cleveland Municipal Stadium renovated, and he came up with his own plan. Cuyahoga County then put the proposal on the November, 1995 ballot. Just a few days before the vote, Modell announced he was moving the team to Baltimore. If he had waited for the vote, and the measure had passed, he would have had nearly $200 million in improvements to the stadium -- which was what he stated he wanted all along. But instead, he signed the deal with Baltimore without giving his community a chance to fund his project.

Furthermore, the County had put the issue on the ballot in 1995, when the Indians had just started playing at Jacobs Field in 1994. So it's not as though Modell had been ignored for an inordinate period of time.

Modell publically rejected being involved in the Gateway project (which was the downtown project that brought the new baseball stadium and basketball arena to down town) saying that he preferred to stay at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

There was a reason that part of his move Modell had to sell part of his ownership and have the clause that made him give up 99% of by 2001 (might have been 2002). Dude needed money because he couldn't manage his money.

The city wasn't clean of not moving, but Modell wanted his money and wanted it his way, or no way. Greed by Art was the major factor.

Wow. It's amazing to me that people are still holding on to that November ballot thing. It was a farce. If you want to review events, it is fair to go back a bit farther.

Modell agrees to take over aging Municipal Stadium which was losing the city $300K to $500K per year. He commits to $10 million in improvements.

(Unrelated to the stadium) The Sheraton- Cleveland Hotel is dead and in receivership. Judge John Patton asks Modell if he is willing to help save the landmark. Modell takes on the challenge and raises $1 million each from 6 different businesses. That money allows for additional bank financing which , altogether totalled $18 million. Modell solicits Stouffers to invest and manage the hotel. He personally oversees the renovation.

The stadium is generating positive cash for the city and Mayor Kucinich is distrustful (as he is of all businesses). The mayor is convinced that Modell is ripping off the city and requires his Public Properties Director, Peter Pucher, to conduct a study. The study concludes that the stadium is the best run of all the public facilities (including the Zoo, Convention Center, and West Side Market). Of all the facilities, the stadium provided the best yield to Cleveland.

The Kucinich administration inquires whether Modell's Stadium Corp. would be willing to operate the Zoo. Modell declines.

Zombo makes a fashion statement by introducing the unibrow.

The other significant event is that Mayor Voinivich requires an audit of the lease which is conducted by Coopers & Lybrand. The result showed that the lease is saving Cleveland $1.5 to $2.0 million per year. The stadium was run efficiently and all capital improvements that Modell promised to the city owned property were completed as promised and on time.

Voters reject a domed stadium by a 2-1 margin.

Richard and David Jacobs buy the Indians.

Modell offers to put an additional $10 million in renovations in the aging stadium in exchange for a 10 year lease extension. The city fathers balk at any deal that made it look like they were accomodating Modell.

BTW, the majority of the renovation is for improved lighting for the Indians. Despite the city rejection, Modell borrows to improve the facility anyway.

Jacobs Group proposes a $150 million 44,000 seat baseball stadium, expandable by 28,000 for football. Modell cautioned officials that experience (Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc) and experts agreed that a dual purpose stadiums do not work well for either team. He urged the City to take care of the Indians, and expected equal treatment for the Browns.

The county placed the sin tax on the ballot. Mayor White was an enthusiastic supporter. The voters passed the tax by a 51.7 to 48.3 margin.

1990-1993

A ton of things happen that i'm not going to type becuse my four typing fingers are getting cramped.

The Indians and Cavs open their new venues while the Browns continue to play in crumbling Municipal Stadium. Studies show that needed renovations exceed $130 million.

Mayor White senses that the public is not happy about the prospect of funding another sports facility project. In December, he makes a statement that seems intended to provoke Modell. The Mayor held a meeting with sports writers and warned them that the Browns could leave town if Modell didn't get what he wants. It was a shrewd tactic by the politician. Modell is infuriated and denies that he ever made that statement.

Despite the fact that the Gateway stadiums are in operation, construction bills were still coming in. Cost overruns were estimated at $20 million, and Gateway ran out of money.

Mayor White warned the public that $130 million would be needed for renovation of Municipal Stadium. Shortly afterward, it was announced that Gund Arena would need a subsidy from the county of $7.7 million for 1995. Voters were worn out.

The Mayor's Stadium Task Force learns from engineers that if the entire upper deck platform is not replaced the stadium would be unsafe by 1999. The same task force misses a February 15, and then an April 15 deadline to finalize a plan. Expected renovation needs swell to $200 million.

A combination of City Hall and The Plain Dealer fed on each other as they sensed the public's fatique with funding another sports complex. Voters had just witnessed cost overruns at Gateway. They did not appreciate that no public tax money had been put into Municipal Stadium since Modell took over in 1973.

So what?

The November tax was a farce. Modell was strapped with debt, and he did his thing. We ended up building our new, shiney shrine for a different owner, and Modell's team won a Superbowl. Aren't we smart?

Ghoolie, so much for my one-liners. i'm going to watch some football. Somebody tell Zombo that his unibrow is longer in fashion.

Guest Masters

My only point is that pinning blame on the city and fans solely for Modells move is a farce. Modell was strapped with debt, and it wasn't because of the stadium, fans, or the city. Again, why as part of his move he sold off his team at the same time. Al Davis had a better claim on blaming LA and fans.

I used to be with the herd about Modell screwing Cleveland but now I am more in the Roach and Ghoolie's corner on this one. Modell's awful business dealings put him in massive debt. The city essentially screwed him over forcing him to stay in a decrepit stadium that could not generate the huge revenues other stadiums could. Art was wallowing in debt and had no way out. There was no way he could fund the improvements or the stadium that was needed to succeed. Baltimore offered him either 50 or 100 million and a brand new Stadium.

The deal was brokered by none other than Al Lerner and the paperwork was signed on Lerner's private jet. Cleveland appropriated funds for a new stadium and Lerner got a sweetheart deal.

Funny Rotten Sad and Sickening all together...............the loser was Browns fans

Stinking lousy crappo fan Rich here was a huge participant in getting the team back. Stan is credited with throwing batteries at players in the Jacksonville game!

Guest Masters
Stinking lousy crappo fan Rich here was a huge participant in getting the team back. Stan is credited with throwing batteries at players in the Jacksonville game!

In related news Rich finds a way to make it about him....lol

Modell's awful business dealings put him in massive debt.

What were his awful business dealings? He borrowed to buy the team and he borrowed to buy new scoreboards and stuff for the stadium. Were those his bad dealings? He had no money coming in from other sources. What were his bad dealings?

Was it Modell's fault when Gabe Paul sued Art over the Indians lease as Paul deemed it to be hurting the team (which was filed by Paul to disguise his own ineptness in running the team, and a study showed that the Indians had one of the best leases in baseball, which caused the Tribe to drop the lawsuit)?

BTW, the bank required Modell to PERSONALLY guarantee the Stadium Corp loans. That was a a stupid business move, but he did it because be believed in the city and his team. From a business standpoint, his only other bad dealing was allowing himself to be lured into thinking he could help the city by bailing out the stadium. While generous, that was a stupid business move. STUPID. Were there others? Sure. But let's not count the ones that he thought he had to make to make the team better (like Rison).

Guys, be real. The only way you make money on a sports franchise is to buy cheap and sell high. Jacobs did it, won nothing, and nobody is bitching. Gund did it, won nothing, and nobody is bitching. Modell obsessed over winning, borrorwed money to find a way, and is a villain. He finally won a championship and got out with some cash. The other guys just out with cash. Who's the villain?

I used to be with the herd about Modell screwing Cleveland but now I am more in the Roach and Ghoolie's corner on this one. Modell's awful business dealings put him in massive debt. The city essentially screwed him over forcing him to stay in a decrepit stadium that could not generate the huge revenues other stadiums could. Art was wallowing in debt and had no way out. There was no way he could fund the improvements or the stadium that was needed to succeed. Baltimore offered him either 50 or 100 million and a brand new Stadium.

The deal was brokered by none other than Al Lerner and the paperwork was signed on Lerner's private jet. Cleveland appropriated funds for a new stadium and Lerner got a sweetheart deal.

Funny Rotten Sad and Sickening all together...............the loser was Browns fans

As much as I hate to, I'm with Rich on this one. Modell was backed into a corner. Baltimore offered him a sweet deal and he took it. We miraculously then built a new stadium a scant few years later. I think Mayor White and Lerner may have been in cahoots on this. To bad we lost the good team to Baltimore.

Archived