THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 ESPN Indians preview - "30 teams in 30 days"

OconRecon

Kind of in the 2009 preview mode...

Just read Pluto's article from yesterday, pretty interesting stats about Shoppach/Martinez for next year

As the Indians ponder how to divide up the catching duties between Victor Martinez and Kelly Shoppach, they are considering this: Shoppach will catch Cliff Lee, Martinez will handle Fausto Carmona. Lee had a Cy Young season throwing to Shoppach in 2008 (when Martinez was mostly injured), and Carmona won 19 games in 2007 pitching primarily to Martinez.

In 2008, Carmona had a 7.39 ERA (39 innings) throwing to Shoppach compared to 4.57 (63 innings) to Martinez. In 2007, Carmona had a 2.74 ERA (210 innings) with Martinez, and gave up nine runs in five innings to Shoppach. So there seems to be a reason to pair Carmona/Martinez.

There also is data for Lee/Shoppach. In 2008, Lee had a 2.13 ERA (198 2/3 innings) with Shoppach compared to 5.84 ERA (24 2/3 innings) with Martinez. In 2007, Lee was at 7.35 ERA (74 2/3 innings) with Martinez, 2.78 (22 2/3 innings) with Shoppach.

I've always said Martinez is great for Fausto, so it's nice seeing some stats (small sample of course) that back it up. And obviously a 4.57 ERA isn't going to get him back as a Cy Young finalist, but you can tell having Victor behind the plate really calms him down.

I'm not sure how much Shoppach had to do with Lee's incredible season but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to explore that kind of platoon.

Guest Masters

The Lee one was a bit of a bad conclusion there by Pluto. 2007 was Lee coming off an injury and having mechanics problems. He should have used 2006, or 2005. But even then Lee's ERA was higher.

I'm not sure how much Shoppach had to do with Lee's incredible season but it doesn't seem like a bad idea to explore that kind of platoon.

I've got zero problem with this type of platoon. It allows the players to know when they're going to sit and when they're going to start and (hopefully) diminishes the possibility that there are going to be hurt feelings while looking at the lineup card.

As for the Lee/Shoppach thing last year, I'm with CIMO. Last year had everything to do with improved command and the addition of a two-seam fastball to his repertoire.

Beanpot

Archived