THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Coordinators Named

Gips

Some mentioned early they get certain sites blocked. Lending a hand...

Cleveland Browns name coordinators

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Wednesday January 14, 2009, 7:13 PM

CLEVELAND --- The Browns formally announced the three main hires of coach Eric Mangini's staff of assistants on Wednesday evening.

As previously reported, Mangini appointed Brian Daboll offensive coordinator, Rob Ryan defensive coordinator and Brad Seely special teams coordinator.

Mangini said in a press release, "I am extremely pleased to bring three quality people in Brian, Rob and Brad to our coaching staff and to the Cleveland Browns organization. I know firsthand that all three are very experienced, talented and dedicated coaches who share the same team-first vision and are passionate towards our goal of bringing an NFL championship to Cleveland."

Daboll was Jets quarterbacks coach, Ryan was Oakland's defensive coordinator and Seely was New England special teams coach.

All four worked together on the New England coaching staff from 2000 to 2003.

=====================

I'm very happy to see Mangini getting his first choices.

after what raider fans said about ryan, i'm somewhat afraid. let's hope there's more of his brother in him than he showed in oakland. i'd really like to see our defense be aggressive instead of what it's been the past four years.

it just doesn't make sense: how can someone who looks like a damn lunatic werewolf not be an insane madman who sends ridiculous blitzes while his tubby, grimace-esque brother is the psycho genius?

edit: and i understand they're only raider fans, but some of them have to be smart.

...Ryan...

From Ryan's Wiki, his non-Al Davis work includes:

• Ryan originally entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1994 as defensive backs coach on his father staff at Arizona Cardinals. He also coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995.
  • With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995.
  • In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways.
  • The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense.
  • From 1997–99, Ryan was Oklahoma State defensive coordinator, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.
  • In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8–4 mark and an Alamo Bowl berth.
  • In 2003, Ryan's squad helped the Patriots defense rank first in the NFL in fewest points allowed 238 while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi.

So, let's hope this is the guy we get as some have said his Raider days were severely Al Davis impaired.

after what raider fans said about ryan, i'm somewhat afraid. let's hope there's more of his brother in him than he showed in oakland. i'd really like to see our defense be aggressive instead of what it's been the past four years.

it just doesn't make sense: how can someone who looks like a damn lunatic werewolf not be an insane madman who sends ridiculous blitzes while his tubby, grimace-esque brother is the psycho genius?

edit: and i understand they're only raider fans, but some of them have to be smart.

Ryan's head needs to be checked - first for going to the Raiders period, and then for sucking up to Al Davis in the hopes of being named interim head coach (that's my guess).

The Powers that Be throughout the League who were already inclined to hold his last name against him - and suspect he's libel to start a fist fight on the sideline like his dad - aren't too happy about any of that.

But he showed some promise with the Patriots - and if he were really a bad apple Belichick wouldn't have tolerated him for a minute. Yes - he's a black sheep in the league - but so is Mangini so it might wind up being a pretty good match.

All I gotta say is, ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME that we hired an EXPERIENCED defensive coordinator that has had success in the past. Also, I never really heard where Tucker was fired lol. This whole thing has been sorda bizzare if you ask me. Oh well, I like it.

i like Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator he should fire up the troops.

2008 Raiders ranked 13th overall 32 sacks 16 ints and gave up only an average of 16.4 pts a game.

Ryan kind of looks like westside steves long lost brother.

042808ryan-qa1.jpg

westsidesteve2.jpg

Maybe they can duet, Westside Steve & Eastside Rob.

I'm sure it's been said before, but remember that during his tenure the Raiders had virtually NO offense.

Any defense left on the field game after game is bound to wear down. I honestly think that's the biggest issue they had.

I like it. Ryan is a legit NFL coordinator, no matter what the Raiders freaks think. As someone posted recently, we can't hold his Raider taint against him. He's finally in a real football town again.

Daboll concerns me a little because his experience doesn't scream success as a coordinator. I'm going to have to trust Mangini knows what he's all about.

Seely is a nice pickup. Can't see anything wrong with his resume.

Most importantly, all three guys are on the same page with Mangini. This is what Lerner was talking about when he said he wanted EVERYONE on the same page and that process is beginning well.

I like it. Ryan is a legit NFL coordinator, no matter what the Raiders freaks think. As someone posted recently, we can't hold his Raider taint against him. He's finally in a real football town again.

Daboll concerns me a little because his experience doesn't scream success as a coordinator. I'm going to have to trust Mangini knows what he's all about.

Seely is a nice pickup. Can't see anything wrong with his resume.

Most importantly, all three guys are on the same page with Mangini. This is what Lerner was talking about when he said he wanted EVERYONE on the same page and that process is beginning well.

I will trust Mangini on Daboll. I really like these hires, & LOVE the closeness they have.....I have always felt that players can't buy into playing as a team if the coaching staff doesn't function as a team. We are definitely on the upswing!

Mike

I can't help but think that Rob Ryan is an iffy choice.... Also, a QB coach becoming a first-time OC dosn't really get me excited. Seely was a good pick, as far as I can tell, though.

Yet I still feel relieved that all three are on board so Mangini can finally get his core staff together and solidify plans for the players this off-season. Glad to see everything moving smoothly, at least. If anything, it looks like there will be some real synergy between the staff now.

Now, about that GM.... Kokinis, we're looking at you!

Everything sounds good except the choice of OC...Im really leery of this Hire...good grief!

Brian Daboll has worked under Charlie Weiss..has coached Brett Favre and worked with Tom Brady..and ahh has 3 super bowl rings..

understanding its his first OC job but I feel damn comfortable he knows how to get it done.

Rex Ryan is a seasoned DC and has done some good things in Oakland despite all the`craziness that Freak Show has had going on the last 4 years..Some of his defensive numbers are misleading given the pathetic offense Oakland had,,,That defense spent a lot of time on the field

Brad Seely..20 years `NFL Experience..3 rings..nough said

Mangini is bringing in professional coaches who have been inside the workings of some pretty successful teams..This is a good thing..GREAT thing

Brian Daboll has worked under Charlie Weiss..has coached Brett Favre and worked with Tom Brady..and ahh has 3 super bowl rings..

understanding its his first OC job but I feel damn comfortable he knows how to get it done.

Rex Ryan is a seasoned DC and has done some good things in Oakland despite all the`craziness that Freak Show has had going on the last 4 years..Some of his defensive numbers are misleading given the pathetic offense Oakland had,,,That defense spent a lot of time on the field

Brad Seely..20 years `NFL Experience..3 rings..nough said

Mangini is bringing in professional coaches who have been inside the workings of some pretty successful teams..This is a good thing..GREAT thing

VERY good points. Just remember it's Rob not Rex. Now we just need to get some scoring weapons on offense, blockers on the right side, an x-factor or 2 added for our defense and some better depth all around. The ONLY coach I hate to lose is STs Coach Ted Daisher. I thought he did a great job for us; BUT I get the importance of bringing in the staff you're banking your success on.

I'm really looking forward to getting the GM signed soon because the combines and free agency will be here before we know it. Not only that, but there's alot of contracts in-house that need to be looked at very closely and the cap health needs a closer look. I'm hearing so many conflicting reports about how our cap is sitting at this time. It sucks knowing that the Senior Bowl is this weekend without a personnel guy under contract.

- Tom F.

Anybody know if we are retaining Tucker in some capacity? I'd like to see him back with the DB's if he'd take it. Those young guys need some continuity, and when Tucker wasn't able to focus his attention completely on them, E.Wright's play suffered & B.Mac's was erratic for a 2-3 game window, but managed to start & finish solid. I think Tucker is a solid DB coach.

Oh, btw, Rob Ryan and Kokinis in my opinion are going to favor Maualuga to Curry. Kokinis is a Baltimore guy, an Maualuga is definately a Baltimore esque linebacker (big strong, fast, insane), and Rob Ryan loves aggression, plus he's been in oakland which is pretty close to where Rey M is now, so he could have been talking with/scouting him for a little while now.

Archived